Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I liked Layers of Fear and Observer. Wasn't a fan of Blair Witch. I'm looking forward to this one, looks really interesting.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
It looks pretty cool, the team has a strong hand on horror. I'm going to assume it's first on Xbox in terms of consoles and coming to others at a later date, considering that's how their last few games have gone.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
right at the end you can see the whole level change and it looked like it was ingame, so that might only be possible on next gen/pc.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
The Beksinski inspirations are pretty obvious. Almost copy-catting.

The Yamaoka involvement is so far the biggest thing about this project. I am hoping for the best for sure.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I somehow missed that world transition at the end. That's very impressive indeed and allows for new gameplay experiences thanks to the SSD.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
With all this 'world transition doesn't require loading screen' has me worried that it may just be scripted and not on toggle.
There has to be catch right?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like there is no combat, which makes it very uninteresting for me personally.
It certainly looks nice in the short gameplay segments though.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
With all this 'world transition doesn't require loading screen' has me worried that it may just be scripted and not on toggle.
The XSX SSD can do up to 4.8 GB/s writing into the RAM. That means that in 3 seconds you can refresh the entire RAM. Looking at the way the world changes, you see the protagonist cringe and the world load in in real time. That takes only 1 second, but that should be enough to load in enough data to get the player going, and then you take the remaining 2-3 seconds to refresh the rest of the RAM. At this speed, you need only a very small run-up in order to be able to completely refresh the RAM I think, so the transition as shown should be doable, even with a toggle.

OP
OP
Spinky

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
One of the devs said on-stream that most of Bloober consider Silent Hill 2 the best horror game ever (smart people) and it's a huge influence on this game.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
third person psychological horror with a beksinski aesthetic in high quality graphics and featuring some rock songs by the GOAT Yamaoka.

Totally in for this. Hoping it'll be good!

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
The instant shifting between dimensions is REALLY COOL and something that's very next-gen, probably the only next-gen "feature" we saw today.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I can't stop thinking that MS heard from an insider about Sony Silent Hill projects and thought "oh, we have to do something about it" lol

I'm down. It looks good, and the soundtrack alone will be worth it

It will be scripted, for sure

There's no way that they would basically have 2 versions of all assets in the game in order to make it work

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloober is an insanely talented developer making some of the best horror games in the industry. The style is no doubt amazing, and having the Silent Hill composer for the musics is quite something too. Intrigued for sure.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't stop thinking that MS heard from an insider about Sony Silent Hill projects and thought "oh, we have to do something about it" lol

Yes, that's silly to think especially since MS has has a past relationship with Bloober.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Help me out here: so this is the THIRD not-Silent Hill, or is it one of the two that were already rumoured to be in development?
There's no team silent involved here besides yamaoka, right?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Not so big on Bloober (just wasn't feeling Layers of Fear and Blair Witch, although the latter was better), but I do dig the premise here and having Akira Yamaoka is cool,so will keep it in mind.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I thought they said there weren't going to be any Series X-only games for a good while? Maybe I missed something.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

It will be scripted, for sure

There's no way that they would basically have 2 versions of all assets in the game in order to make it work
Let me tell you about Soul Reaver, a little game from 1999, that had the player character shift between 2 versions of the same world in real-time to use the warps in environment to progress.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This looks amazing! Very interested!

Just to clarify: is it launching on Game Pass? Blair Witch did, but I didn't notice any mention of Game Pass in the trailer?

Jesb

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Strong Silent Hill vibes right away. The music. The premise. Definitely the most interesting of the show for me.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks amazing! Very interested!

Just to clarify: is it launching on Game Pass? Blair Witch did, but I didn't notice any mention of Game Pass in the trailer?
I don't think so. It wasn't on the trailer and no mention of it on Xbox News.

news.xbox.com

Bloober Team Announces Psychological Horror Game, The Medium, Coming to Xbox Series X in 2020 - Xbox Wire

There’s never one simple truth to what a person will perceive. This is the inspiration behind The Medium – a psychological horror game built around a central motif: how your perspective changes your perception. Each of our games, from Observer to Layers of Fear to Blair Witch, has a central...

Sep 14, 2018
I like everything about this except how similar the otherworld concept looks like... almost 1:1 from SH, not here for a retread. Oh my ignore button slipped again.

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried BlairWitch, but I'm a fan of their other games, plus that soundtrack, this is an easy buy.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Did it show what engine this was running on? Do Bloober have their own in-house one?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Blair Witch and Observer ran on Unreal, so I think its safe to assume the same is the case for Medium.
Ahh I see. I was ok with BW but really enjoyed Observer (Shame about its performance) I would love it if MS got a bit involved and sent over The Coalition lol. (If using UE of course)