• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
The QuickTime videos. God I feel old. 😂

Remember thinking back all that real time lighting talk. I want bloodgulch in the dark and just warthog lights, spartan lights, plasma fire etc. showing the way or maybe have sime illuminating fungus and flies too. It would look so cool and be quite spooky and scary which would make travelling across the open field more cool going base to base in almost pitch dark.
Things like the quick time videos were what I loved about bungie. They really hyped shit up that had no business being hyped up. Hell, I remember talk of grass swaying in the wind on Valhalla or something and my mind was blown. Staten gives off the same sort of vibe when he describes game scenarios. He knows how to make the mundane seem cool.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I've skimmed over the post but I need to read it in full. I definitely like everything I did read so far. Different damage types and maybe effects for those damage types is A+ in my book. Someone mentioned the CE Plasma Rifle in a post got me thinking about what other effects we could see. I can't wait to read and/or see more of Infinite.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
how is it looking more generic? the game didn't change in it's direction or it's ideas lol maybe it will change on the visuals front, which it needed since it lacked a ton of polish, but it is content complete already

Regardless of the quality of the demo, it was an interesting take on Halo. Open world structure, a more cartoony minimalist style, etc. At least it was something else. But all post demo communication has been pretty much in the vein of 'We are still making Halo as you know and love!' and 'We are fixing everything you hated!'

Obviously primarily just a gut feeling. But I'm more disappointed by the neutered and uninspired post-delay communication than I was by the demo itself. And I was reconsidering if I should get an XSX after that demo, lol.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm just not excited at all anymore.

Edit: To be clear, all the things they are mentioning do sound good. But the same things have been said about both Halo 4 and 5 and neither one was particularly good or fun to play.

Oct 25, 2017
EG: The Grappleshot is definitely a favorite of mine, but I'm equally excited about an equipment item we haven't shown yet. It's highly physics-based, has TONS of interactions across our sandbox, and will leave you laughing or yelling, "Did you see that?!" Proper timing is everything with this equipment, and if you position correctly, you could very well send your enemies flying!"

Oh yes, this is exactly the kind of thing I want to hear. Good shit.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Regardless of the quality of the demo, it was an interesting take on Halo. Open world structure, a more cartoony minimalist style, etc. At least it was something else. But all post demo communication has been pretty much in the vein of 'We are still making Halo as you know and love!' and 'We are fixing everything you hated!'

Obviously primarily just a gut feeling. But I'm more disappointed by the neutered and uninspired post-delay communication than I was by the demo itself. And I was reconsidering if I should get an XSX after that demo, lol.

Edit: To be clear, all the things they are mentioning do sound good. But the same things have been said about both Halo 4 and 5 and neither one was particularly good or fun to play.
I'm not sure if we're reading the same things lol. This is like the opposite of what I'm getting from their updates. They seem genuinely excited about the game and the improvements they're making to it. It sounds like it's going to get a blast.

I'm getting BotW vibes from some of the things they're saying, like the grappling hook having a bunch of uses including traversal, and different physics-based support items.

Oct 25, 2017

But none of that is changing, that is my point. The art direction remains the same, but it did lack a lot of polish. The content is already complete so the open world structure or anything for that matter isn't changing either.

Anyway, i'm not saying how you should feel about what's being shown or the communication, but mostly that the game itself is pretty much the same, just getting a lot of layers of polish. :P

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Man would I like to be excited for Halo again. Really hope their campaign is good and that all this extra time is really put to good use bringing this series back up to what it needs to be.

I feel like I'm largely done with Gears at this point (The basic gameplay is good, but I'm just bored; it needs a major shakeup), and I fear Halo is next. Really hope they pushed creativity and gameplay to something special. The potential definitely sounds like it is there.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Man would I like to be excited for Halo again. Really hope their campaign is good and that all this extra time is really put to good use bringing this series back up to what it needs to be.

I feel like I'm largely done with Gears at this point (The basic gameplay is good, but I'm just bored; it needs a major shakeup), and I fear Halo is next. Really hope they pushed creativity and gameplay to something special. The potential definitely sounds like it is there.
I feel the same. They need to make new IPs instead of running the same IPs over 3 or 4 generations. It just gets stale.

Still interested in Infinite but I keep my expectations in check.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand how people would think Halo needs some dramatic shakeup. Halo has had more gameplay shifts than it's competition at this point.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Things like the quick time videos were what I loved about bungie. They really hyped shit up that had no business being hyped up. Hell, I remember talk of grass swaying in the wind on Valhalla or something and my mind was blown. Staten gives off the same sort of vibe when he describes game scenarios. He knows how to make the mundane seem cool.
My favorite was all the water tech hype. Bodies floating down the stream, reacting realistically. Frankie was obsessed with it lol

Dec 20, 2017

Had instant flashbacks to the bungie updates while reading his section.

Dec 21, 2017
What Quinn said is spot on. We wanted to have a shotgun that was not a power weapon. The Bulldog is a versatile weapon that provides the player the role of a shotgun and up-close playstyle more frequently in multiplayer than previous
Halo
titles as it is lower on the lethality scale of weapons and is thus more prevalent. Similar to that, we wanted a shotgun that embraces the rapid-fire/dish out multiple shots quickly. That's where the Bulldog excels.

Not sure how I feel about this...

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But none of that is changing, that is my point. The art direction remains the same, but it did lack a lot of polish. The content is already complete so the open world structure or anything for that matter isn't changing either.

Anyway, i'm not saying how you should feel about what's being shown or the communication, but mostly that the game itself is pretty much the same, just getting a lot of layers of polish. :P

Yeah, I know your right. That's why it's mostly a gut feeling. And more frustration with the communication itself. It's so much empty talk trying to appease everyone.

But I don't entirely agree with the art direction comment though. They've definitely touched up the character models and weapon models in direct response to all negative comments regarding the demo. Character and gun models were very clean, cartoony, and minimalistic in the demo. Kind of going back to the H1/H3 kind of art style. Maybe they were undercooked for the demo, but personally, I feel like that was intentional. And every update since the demo has been something with new character and weapon renders and showcasing how much more detailed they are now.

I understand this might be such a silly argument to make but adding all kinds of unnecessary complexity to the design was one of the biggest culprits in the downfall of Halo. The look of Halo became incredibly muddy and it started to affect gameplay in negative ways as every map got designed with 100 unnecessary nooks and cranny which could ruin the grenade gameplay. All for the sake of detailing.

So with each and every update, I see them go back to the route of complex design for the sake of it with each new model render or even the map renders of a while ago.

Hopefully, I'm just making mountains out of molehills here. But as a former tournament player during the H2/H3 era these are the details that are vital to a good Halo game tbh.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
What Quinn said is spot on. We wanted to have a shotgun that was not a power weapon. The Bulldog is a versatile weapon that provides the player the role of a shotgun and up-close playstyle more frequently in multiplayer than previous
Halo
titles as it is lower on the lethality scale of weapons and is thus more prevalent. Similar to that, we wanted a shotgun that embraces the rapid-fire/dish out multiple shots quickly. That's where the Bulldog excels.

I like the idea of a more utility style shotgun but I hope they roll in the standard shotgun as a power weapon at some point.

Pancracio17

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I like the idea of a more utility style shotgun but I hope they roll in the standard shotgun as a power weapon at some point.
Yeah, I love shotguns and a shotgun thats more common sounds great, but I partly loved the shotgun in Halo because of how deadly it is. Im confident its guaranteed to come in a later patch but its a shame its missing launch.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Halo

So kind of like the Mauler.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
The art style was never the game's problem, in fact in the in-engine trailer they'd shown previously it absolutely shone. It was the lack of high-end visual effects, and some pretty low-end ones (like basic shadows), that made the game look so flat. I really like the game's aesthetic in theory, whether they can dial up the graphical flourishes around that to make it feel like a next-gen experience is what I need to see at this point.

I also really want the Inside Infinite that talks about enemy AI; that remains on of the biggest potential strengths of the Brutes. I just hope the Prometheans aren't returning, those things were terrible and dragged Halo 4 and 5 down substantially.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I love shotguns and a shotgun thats more common sounds great, but I partly loved the shotgun in Halo because of how deadly it is. Im confident its guaranteed to come in a later patch but its a shame its missing launch.

Why do people think the shotgun is missing? Have I missed something? They described the Bulldog as a less powerful, more common CQC weapon. That's all I saw.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people think the shotgun is missing? Have I missed something? They described the Bulldog as a less powerful, more common CQC weapon. That's all I saw.
iirc around the time of the E3 footage it was confirmed (on Reddit, I think?) that the classic shotgun wasn't in the game at launch. although with a year delay that could change by launch.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

They've previously said the Magnum and Tactical Shotgun are not currently part of the sandbox.

There are additional variants of each of these, but the classic Magnum and Tactical Shotgun aren't currently featured in Halo Infinite.

Infinite Inquiries | Halo Community Update | Halo - Official Site (halowaypoint.com)

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
I see no Promethean and that is a very good thing. Back to the fundamentals for Halo please.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I just went back and watched the gameplay demo again, and the game looks way better than I remembered it. With an extra year of polish, this game is going to look amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see news on everything happening this year, can't wait to try the multiplayer if they're doing an open public flight. Don't really want to try it through the insider app anymore as that progressive messed up my Xbox one so I will avoid with the series X

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Predictions on how the game runs on all Xbox platforms

Xbox One S:
Campaign: 648p-864p 30fps reconstructed to 1080p
MP: 720p-1080p 60fps reconstructed to 1080p

Xbox One X:
Campaign: 1080p-1440p 45-60fps reconstructed to 1080p
MP: 1440p-2160p 60fps stable reconstructed to 4k

Xbox Series S:
Campaign: 900p-1080p 60fps locked reconstructed to 1440p
MP: 900p-1440p 120fps stable reconstructed to 1440p

Xbox One S:
Campaign: 1440p-1800p 60fps locked reconstructed to 4k
MP: 1440p-2160p 120fps stable reconstructed to 4k

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
They said they want to remove redundancy from the Sandbox but they made the Carbine a covenant BR by turning it into a Pulse Carbine. Plus, they ruined its visual identity with the blue plasma projectiles which would be hard to distinguish from plasma rifles. When you're hit with a carbine in 2-5 you know what's hitting you.

Predictions on how the game runs on all Xbox platforms

Xbox One S:
Campaign: 648p-864p 30fps reconstructed to 1080p
MP: 720p-1080p 60fps reconstructed to 1080p

Xbox One X:
Campaign: 1080p-1440p 45-60fps reconstructed to 1080p
MP: 1440p-2160p 60fps stable reconstructed to 4k

Xbox Series S:
Campaign: 900p-1080p 60fps locked reconstructed to 1440p
MP: 900p-1440p 120fps stable reconstructed to 1440p

Xbox One S:
Campaign: 1440p-1800p 60fps locked reconstructed to 4k
MP: 1440p-2160p 120fps stable reconstructed to 4k

The game will be native 4K on Series X with a dynamic resolution it's not going to have reconstruction.

Oct 26, 2017
Halo

seems like its basically the halo 2 shotgun with a faster reload

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Pretty sure Prometheans will be in the game in some form, I bet they are very few of them around the map but they are much more dangerous than before. Basically only redesigned Knights and other elite Promethean units. Like mini-bosses.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They said they want to remove redundancy from the Sandbox but they made the Carbine a covenant BR by turning it into a Pulse Carbine.
Yeah, that's why it's hard for me to get excited until we get to see actual footage and deep dives. At least there were some nuggets in that update.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Still no mention of ray tracing?
This update was about the sandbox and I think in the last update they wanted to emphasize that they're improving visuals beyond just using ray tracing as a crutch so it looks better for everyone. With a year long delay it should be there at launch now, no excuse for it not to be.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
This update was about the sandbox and I think in the last update they wanted to emphasize that they're improving visuals beyond just using ray tracing as a crutch so it looks better for everyone. With a year long delay it should be there at launch now, no excuse for it not to be.

It should definitely be in at launch with the year long delay, as you say.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020

Same here, I'm excited for Halo Infinite's campaign. I can't play Gears anymore tbh.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017

We didn't even have a date for RT when they planned on launching last November. Now that they're touching up everything, I don't think it's a shoe in that RT is gonna be there this Fall either. Covid is still very much a problem.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Really, when you think about an Open World Halo and the sandbox, the tools are all there for you to just fuck around and fun. I think that is also a vital aspect that needs to be great at launch in order for Infinite to blow up. Skyrim, GTAV, BotW are all open worlds you can just go and "fuck around" and Halo should be able to do that perfectly. A great Halo multiplayer already accomplishes this but the single player needs to evolve to meet the standards of a live service.

One aspect to do that with is that being on a Halo that is being repaired also has the potential for 343 to implement something of a Wanted system where, if Halo Infinite has somewhat dynamic elements like world destruction, the ring responds and sends Sentinels after you like cops in GTA. Say you throw a fusion coil at an Enforcer roaming around and the world responds by summoning a group of Sentinels you either run from or just continue to destroy as more enemies pile on you in greater numbers and lethality.

I really want the world to feel different from the campaign levels of the past.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There are so many small details they drop in these updates that give me pause but I want to be cautiously optimistic. Halo is basically a part of me and I desperately want this to succeed at hitting all the right notes.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Flamethrower and the Fire Grenades.
Would love to see the Flamer return. The functionality of the Fire Grenades I'd like to see as part of one of the Brute weapons, like as an alternate fire function for the Ravager (the blog post made me think along these lines with its description as an area denial weapon):

1600px-HINF_XGS_2020_Ravager_Heads_Up_Display.png

I'd also love to see prime Brute Shot (bouncing shots, like H2) and prime Fuel Rod Launcher (PC, with arcing shots).

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
I saw it mentioned in passing, but I figured I'd include the renders from last month's Infinite update (which was technically the first) which includes 2 screenshots of the multiplayer, a new concept art piece, and 2 equipment items (Active Camo and Grapple Shot). Enjoy!

www.halowaypoint.com

Inside Infinite – December 2020

<p>Hey everyone, I’m Joseph Staten. If you’ve been a longtime part of the Halo community, you may already know me. If you’re new to the community: Hello! It’s great to meet you. I was part of the Bungie team who made Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach. I came […]</p>

hi-multiplayer-map-1-4k-03a0b43b63454dc6affd23b8119a86b0.png

Active Camo is seen down in bottom middle of the map, the Grapple Shot pickup is behind the spartan in the doorway, and it appears to be a Hydra sitting on a similar style pickup "plate" up in the top middle of the map, too.

hi-multiplayer-map-2-4k-9acaa62eec3a434faedfbd0af67dd93a.png

hi-m41-spnkr-4k-b918161c94c54b769d6ce51db0e26580.png

hi-s7-sniper-4k-6fd1c1141b3c4b4b9f62592f561b2e79.png

hi-campaign-concept-art-4k-4caee7b0e02b4cc5957cb8b715d247d1.png
hi-watchdog-armor-coating-br-4k-1e8e22c8d2ae41b3ae88e4b42baec8d5.png

hi-watchdog-armor-coating-ar-4k-86cb7fb5e22143139e8c9f83a378b4a8.png
hi-scorpion-punch-armor-coating-4k-39934e8051124b5ca6de7881098fe028.png

All of this and a few more at the link above!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, this update has me extremely excited. All of the gameplay design stuff sounds ace. The devs seem to have a solid grasp of what the Halo style of gameplay is all about. That's vital for adding new content that retains the classic Halo feel.

I hope Infinite does an even better job than Halo 5 with overhauling gameplay systems and adding tons of stuff without obscuring the old reliable set of core mechanics that feel just just right. The main thing Halo 5 messed up in that regard was adding a huge input delay for aerial melee attacks.

It seems that 343 has entered a long polishing phase. That's awesome. It's strange to think they were all set to release the game last holiday season, before the big reveal backlash. If Infinite really was release-ready, graphics aside, then the devs having all these extra months to tune everything should lead to a fantastic end product.

While I like all of the devs' emphasis on listening to the community, I hope their vision for the game is mostly informed by what works in Bungie's trilogy. The later games introduced a whole lot of bullshit that mostly diluted or distorted the timeless fundamentals of the series.

Players too young to remember anything but Reach and Halo 5 multiplayer probably don't need to have a major influence on the design of Infinite. Just saying. Not to forget, the Halo community has its fair share of toxic opinionated morons who have stuck with the series for the long haul. I hope 343 knows how to sort the wheat from the chaff when it comes to fielding player feedback.

343 essentially having 7-8 months to polish the game is what dreams are made of.
No kidding!

Last edited: