Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a specific Roland music set that works best for these games? If I remember correctly, there are 1 or 2 apps you have to install to do proper emulation.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I remember playing this game as a child and not knowing how to progress very far.
TIL this game is actually for sale on digital platforms, I will finally be able to see what the fuck happens after the library or university or whatever it was I was stuck on.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
I remember losing my manual and getting stuck on the secret stone code required to continue the game. It asked you to look it up in the manual. How evil.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Great post. I'd say the top 3 LucasArts adventures are Fate of Atlantis, The Curse of Monkey Island, and Day of the Tentacle. Then you throw in Grim Fandango, SoMI, and MI2 and that's one hell of a rock solid top tier lineup.

As someone who mainly grew up playing and loving the Sierra games, that company pushed really hard to associate faces and names with their games. On that note Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer are still quite well known and active in the gaming industry, compared to someone like Noah Falstein (who designed FoA with Hal Barwood). Most people who don't care about adventure games probably know the games Tim designed.

So, FoA falls slightly into the shadow of those more recognizable titles like the MI series or GF. It would be great to see FoA get the same remake/facelift treatment as SoMI/MI2/FT. Regardless, FoA is a fantastic game and a must play for adventurers.

That is not how you spell Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

Possibly my favorite game of all time. I adore the entire series and love how each game is unique from the others in presentation and gameplay.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember it being tonally perfect and full of adventure, the opposite of crystal skull, as others have said.

I wish it was available on iOS (wish monkey island 1 and 2 were also)

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I remember losing my manual and getting stuck on the secret stone code required to continue the game. It asked you to look it up in the manual. How evil.
Aaaah, I totally forgot that the floppy version had copy protection; only remembered the pirate heads in SoMI.

Guess it's time to replay the action and think paths, did the team path a few months ago.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
A masterpiece indeed. I would not like a remaster, I don't feel the Monkey Island remasters did the games justice. Maybe something with the AI HD thing that was in the other thread.

Also, OP, I feel FATE gets mentioned more often than poor old The Dig. Both are masterpieces in their genres, but imho The Dig takes the top but it has been lost for newer generations, maybe because it wasn't tied to a huge IP like Indiana Jones.
Original IP with a cooler setting, story, better atmosphere, and better pixel art. If you are in this thread and haven't played it, you owe it to yourself. I envy you you lucky bastards for what you have yet to experience. Just...look.

These are from multiple locals. FATE is also beautiful, but I feel it falls short in many places:
Yup.

Love Atlantis and the Dig is underrated.

One thing that the Dig did incredibly well was soundtrack, the dynamic music and ambient sounds were absolutely amazing.
A proper 'remake' with scaled/remade backgrounds and audio/ambient track converted to Atmos would be incredible.

Matthew

Oct 26, 2017
Just here to echo the general sentiment. So good it makes me cry when I think of the 4 film that was actually made instead.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing game, and thanks for letting me know that it supports MT-32. I kinda forgot about MT-32 since Monkey Island 1 and 2 can be made to use either CD music or the Special Edition music in SCUMMVM, but it's indeed the best available sound option for Indy!

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Can't really tell. I had it when i was a kid but i never managed to move past Venice so...

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
It's my favorite point & click adventure ever. Really sad that the fan remake was nuked, it looked great! :(

Siegmeyer

Nov 2, 2017
Great game, haven't played it in years but thanks to this thread I've learnt it's an unlockable in some Wii game I've never heard of. Just found a used copy of Staff of Kings online for 2 pounds, so I'll be replaying FoA in just a few days. Thanks ERA!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah it's a classic, saying this is the real Indy 4 might be cliche, but i really wish Lucas based Indy 4 off of this, Spielberg even told him Aliens was a bad idea & they should do something else, Atlantis would have been perfect to close the Indiana Jones saga off with.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed, but even the CD version uses the FM soundtrack by default unless you set it up for MT-32. A lot of PC games from that time period had support for this big $700 synthesizer called the Roland MT-32 you could connect to the PC by MIDI and get special soundtracks with much more depth and higher-quality synthesis. Today, it doesn't require as much expense, as programs like ScummVM (which you would probably be using to play the CD version on a modern PC anyway) are capable of emulating the MT-32 soundtrack with a bit of configuration.

Here's a great example of how huge the difference is using the intro to Monkey Island 2:

Check out the FM version (the version you're probably used to) at 0:00 and the MT-32 version starting at 2:08. It really is a huge improvement. There's the jump from PC speaker to FM and then the jump from FM to MT-32 is almost as huge.

Here's a comparison I just found for FoA. PC speaker is 0:00, Sound Blaster/FM (the version you've played) 6:38 and then MT-32 at 13:22

For me the Amiga version is still the best. Although i had a cable running from my amiga that merged left and right together so i got 4 channels on both ears. Which helps a lot, but is also kinda cheating.

But back on topic, yes Fate was amazing. Although i never heard the spoken voice version. I played Fate on the Amiga as well. I like the start of the tune on Amiga better, but it gets messy 30 seconds in.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I need actually played this one: I had the Action Game version on Amiga though, which I remember enjoying.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Passed me by back in the day, although as a large MI fan I should grab it off GoG soon. Had a demo of the Dig in the 90s, too & was thoroughly proud of myself for getting through it.

deim0s

Oct 25, 2017
This, Loom, and Monkey Island are the best things that came out of LucasArts.

Plus the Roland MT-32 enhancements.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Indeed, but even the CD version uses the FM soundtrack by default unless you set it up for MT-32. A lot of PC games from that time period had support for this big $700 synthesizer called the Roland MT-32 you could connect to the PC by MIDI and get special soundtracks with much more depth and higher-quality synthesis. Today, it doesn't require as much expense, as programs like ScummVM (which you would probably be using to play the CD version on a modern PC anyway) are capable of emulating the MT-32 soundtrack with a bit of configuration.

Here's a great example of how huge the difference is using the intro to Monkey Island 2:

Check out the FM version (the version you're probably used to) at 0:00 and the MT-32 version starting at 2:08. It really is a huge improvement. There's the jump from PC speaker to FM and then the jump from FM to MT-32 is almost as huge.

Here's a comparison I just found for FoA. PC speaker is 0:00, Sound Blaster/FM (the version you've played) 6:38 and then MT-32 at 13:22

I will definitely check this out :)
I never could afford a roland at home!

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Awesome game, along with Last Crusade (although Atlantis was the better game IIRC)...still have the disks somewhere

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a specific Roland music set that works best for these games? If I remember correctly, there are 1 or 2 apps you have to install to do proper emulation.
Most of the SCUMM games use the CM-32L rather than the MT-32 (things start to get complicated by this point) but basically what you need for it to run properly is the CM32L_CONTROL.ROM and CM32L_PCM.ROM. Can't really say any more since those are copyrighted ROM files but anyone who needs help with configuring the emulation can feel free to shoot me a private message.

As for installing separate apps for the emulation, the emulator is incorporated into ScummVM now! Just drop the CM32L_CONTROL.ROM and CM32_PCM.ROM files into your Program Files/ScummVM folder, enable MT-32 emulation in the ScummVM options, and you're ready to go. But you can do it with an external program if you want to see the emulated MT-32 LCD panel as well.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
It's the best point and click ever made and I mention that at every possible opportunity.

Game is one of the most ambitious p&c games ever too. Three distinct paths, and some puzzles have multiple solutions.

Also one of the first ever talkies - the game was rereleased on CD with full voice acting. Doug Lee is a great Indy, with a dry sarcastic wit.
Maybe I'll give the game another chance. Any time I play it I get stuck and lose interest :X

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Me and my sister played this when I was really young. Don't remember much other than the ending scaring the shit out of me lol

Oops, I didn't know there was a voiced version out there. ^^
Back in the day it was my first PnC. It came along with a guide and I just played it while reading what to do. Somehow the idea to solve it myself never occured to me. ^^ I played it so often that in the end I knew it inside out. I think I burned myself out on it, cause I cannot imagine to replay it nowadays, although I know what great game it is. (Same goes a bit for Monkey Island 2, but FoA even more.)
The strange thing is, that I can't really say anything about the quality of the puzzles, as I played it by guide. But looking back, it was quite the tough one, I'd say, especially towards the end.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the SCUMM games use the CM-32L rather than the MT-32 (things start to get complicated by this point) but basically what you need for it to run properly is the CM32L_CONTROL.ROM and CM32L_PCM.ROM. Can't really say any more since those are copyrighted ROM files but anyone who needs help with configuring the emulation can feel free to shoot me a private message.

As for installing separate apps for the emulation, the emulator is incorporated into ScummVM now! Just drop the CM32L_CONTROL.ROM and CM32_PCM.ROM files into your Program Files/ScummVM folder, enable MT-32 emulation in the ScummVM options, and you're ready to go. But you can do it with an external program if you want to see the emulated MT-32 LCD panel as well.
Thanks, I got it working. Sounds fantastic compared to the default! I didn't realize ScummVM has MUNT built into it now. I'm also happy ScummVM works with Steam version without any mods now as I never bought the game at GOG, only Steam.

As a completely separate issue, do you by chance know anything about the Midi and soundfont support of ScummVM? If you select general midi that comes built into Windows 10 in the audio section, does selecting a different soundfont within ScummVM do anything or do you need to have a soundcard with soundfont support, use external programs, or use built in fluidsynth that sounds strange? I was messing a little bit with KQ6 in addition to starting to replay Fate of Atlantis and wasn't sure what to do for it (I think it was composed with general midi of Roland SC55 in mind).

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for that awesome opening post, definitely one of the best games ever right here!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Thanks, I got it working. Sounds fantastic compared to the default! I didn't realize ScummVM has MUNT built into it now. I'm also happy ScummVM works with Steam version without any mods now as I never bought the game at GOG, only Steam.

As a completely separate issue, do you by chance know anything about the Midi and soundfont support of ScummVM? If you select general midi that comes built into Windows 10 in the audio section, does selecting a different soundfont within ScummVM do anything or do you need to have a soundcard with soundfont support, use external programs, or use built in fluidsynth that sounds strange? I was messing a little bit with KQ6 in addition to starting to replay Fate of Atlantis and wasn't sure what to do for it (I think it was composed with general midi of Roland SC55 in mind).
Ill link u to some sounsfonts i use for gabe knight 1 when i get home.
In general the classic lucasarts releases are drm free foe the most part and there are soundfonts thst help output better audio for sierra games at least.

If u got beneath a steel sky from gog, here is a neat sound mod for it that works woth scummvm
https://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/con...-a-steel-sky-enhanced-soundtrack-for-scummvm/
There are a few more for other games on that site but this one for bass made the experience better imo.

Alcohog

Apr 18, 2018
I rember this game, I got it as a kid after having loved the point and click Last Crusade which was also a great great game. Miss those old PC games from my childhood sometimes.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Remind me to never ever take the Team route again. Game was OK up until the final stretch, being the sub and Atlantis, though even then I still wasn't all TOO impressed with the game :S
Still I see some impressions here that manage to back OP's claim so more power to you chaps and lasses.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
My brother bought this for me for Christmas on the Amiga 25 years ago. It came on something like 20 discs! I loved it instantly. However I was completely gutted because one of the discs never worked so I never made it to Atlantis. I started a scumm replay a few years back. This is a reminder that I need to go back and finish it!

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
It's one of my favourite games on PC period. So many fond memories of playing it back in 1992/93 when I had barely learned to read. In a way it too helped to make me an Indiana Jones fan as by the first time I played the game I hadn't seen all the movies.

Also my first exposition to DRM in video games...

The true Indy IV and not a Crystal Skull in sight.

It's very nearly the perfect adventure game and includes one of the all time great intros.

This. A childhood dream in cinematic form that never came to be sadly.