• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Rumor has it that Ford only agreed to do SW: TFA if they would give him an Indy. They're still obligated which is why after many script malfunctions they kept trying.

At least they got the Logan director... he's use to making movies about an Old Man's last hurrah.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah after Logan this is the best case scenario.

Give us bearded Indy on his last adventure to wash out the taste of Xmen 3. I mean Indy 4.

I'm super hype.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Indiana Jones and the Hive of the Reptilian Illuminati Deep State New World Order

Jan 3, 2018
nPP6Q6k.gif

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
May I offer an alternate way to conclude the franchise:

Use your billions of dollars to round up every copy of Crystal Skull and destroy them. The Indiana Jones movie franchise ended in 1989.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Dude's like 80. It's going to have to be the last one. Hope they manage to end it on a high note.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
While Mangold is a strong filmmaker, it's still a bummer to not have Spielberg on this. As far as I'm concerned, he's Indiana Jones.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I assume the plot with be something along the lines of Indy realizing several of the residents of the nursing home he lives at were Nazis and having to get them kicked out of the nursing home?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
There isn't inherent interest in a Indiana Jones film either.... unless Ford is in it.

Someone mentioned Chris Pine taking over and I'd never thought of it before but would 100% be there Day one.

Or better yet, freaking do a cartoon.

I assume the plot with be something along the lines of Indy realizing several of the residents of the nursing home he lives at were Nazis and having to get them kicked out of the nursing home?

BUBBA HO TEP BUT IT'S INDIANA JONES!!!

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but already it already strained credibility watching a 66 year old Ford fist fighting Soviets and swinging around jungle vines in Crystal Skull.

Now the dude is almost 80. Fuck, he'll be 79 when this actually starts shooting and 80+ when it comes out...

kowhite

May 14, 2019
You know, Indy was 90 with an eye patch in those bookends on that Young Indy episode.

That being said, I'm still down for this. It can't be a regular Indy adventure. Indy 4 was, just a bad one. But at this age it just can't be. Mangold is really good, so I'm all for a unique adventure with a different slant to send him off. Yeah, he's old, but I'm all for this. Indy is my favorite movie hero ever so yeah I want this. Ford is fine when he cares, and I agree with the posts above. He was good in Force Awakens, BR2049, and Indy 4 (He wasn't the problem, neither was Shia for that matter).

So I'm down for this. I don't know if Indy means anything without Ford, so rather this than nothing.

Apr 25, 2020
This is undoubtedly going to be a dumpster fire. Is that whole ending scene in Indy 4 with Shia LeBoof just retconned now?

Nov 8, 2017
Thank god, I was waiting with baited breath for more Indiana Jones content at age 120.

I need to know every second of his life.

Oct 31, 2017
Disney's own material does not mention anything about concluding the franchise:

In July 2022, the next installment of the "Indiana Jones" franchise premieres, starring Harrison Ford, who reprises his iconic role. The film is directed by James Mangold.

Indiana Jones

Lucasfilm is currently in pre-production on the next installment of Indiana Jones. At the helm is James Mangold, director of the Academy Award®-winning "Ford v Ferrari," and Indy himself, Harrison Ford, will be back to continue his iconic character's journey. Indy will arrive July 2022.

Which makes sense to me. They did not pay Paramount an undisclosed amount of money to get distribution rights to future Indiana Jones movies (where Paramount gets participation) to just conclude the franchise.

Furthermore, unless they acquire the distribution to the first four movies and tv show, an upcoming Indiana Jones will likely drive people to watch the older (and likely better) movies which would be in a competing platform (i.e. someone would be watching the previous products on Amazon Prime, for instance. Disney would only have one movie or tv show from the franchise they own on their streaming service). Doesn't make sense.

We'll see though.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Disney's own material does not mention anything about concluding the franchise:

Which makes sense to me. They did not pay Paramount an undisclosed amount of money to get distribution rights to future Indiana Jones movies (where Paramount gets participation) to just conclude the franchise.

Furthermore, unless they acquire the distribution to the first four movies and tv show, an upcoming Indiana Jones will likely drive people to watch the older (and likely better) movies which would be in a competing platform (i.e. someone would be watching the previous products on Amazon Prime, for instance. Disney would only have one movie or tv show from the franchise they own on their streaming service). Doesn't make sense.

We'll see though.
What kinda participation will Paramount be getting?

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the fridge scene

dont @ me

It's the only scene in the film where there's actually some tension, people hating on it are dumb. The shot of Indy looking at the nuclear blast is fantastic.

My problem with the scene is when the fridge starts flying in the air, it all looks so fake and cartoony. In comparison to the raft scene in Temple of Doom (which is also pretty over the top), but it works because it's generally all practical effects, the raft sliding down the mountain looks real.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ship has long sailed on turning Indy into a James Bond-like recastable character. Indiana Jones just is Harrison Ford. I think Solo is evidence that there's no appetite for young actors reprising Ford's iconic movie roles.
I really don't get this line of thinking. River Phoenix played Indiana Jones. It was fine. It was great even.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I'm relieved to hear it, but I'm honesty still surprised that Disney hasn't done anything with Indy except for announcing this final movie in the franchise.
Figured they'd at least push out some novels or comics, but they've done nothing with it. Always seemed strange to me.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Recasting Indy is not like recasting Bond, it's like recasting Han Solo. That didn't go well.

I wonder what percentage of that was attributed to people's attachment to Ford as the character, and what percentage because of all the issues that production had and who was actually asking for a Han Solo origin movie? It seems like it existed to answer questions not too many people were asking, and basically shoehorning all the things we identify with the character within the space of a 2 hour movie. If anything, Solo may have worked better as a Disney plus show where they can take time building up his character to the point we see in ANH.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, fuck the ageism.

Ford still looks great, and it's going to suck so bad once he's gone. I think they can do something better than Crystal Skull, and while I would love to see them 007 this eventually, Lucasfilm doesn't seem to care too much about this IP so I think this is all we will get. I'm hoping for the best.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
It's the only scene in the film where there's actually some tension, people hating on it are dumb. The shot of Indy looking at the nuclear blast is fantastic.

My problem with the scene is when the fridge starts flying in the air, it all looks so fake and cartoony. In comparison to the raft scene in Temple of Doom (which is also pretty over the top), but it works because it's generally all practical effects, the raft sliding down the mountain looks real.
It legit felt like classic Indy to me. The gophers and monkeys were way dumber.

I'm actually somewhat looking forward to this, especially if it's a definite conclusion (although so was Crudade and, well). Mangold is great and if he can give us one masterpiece about an aging hero coming to terms with his limits, so he can give us a second one, too.
With Spielberg I would have been more concerned admittedly.