• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

As someone who loved the Broadway musical, I'm really excited to see the film adaptation.

Source: Warner Bros. Pictures (YouTube)

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty, I am glad that more studios are making musicals again. I know they are not for everybody, but it's still nice to see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

ProfessorLv10

One Winged Slayer
May 27, 2019
Yes! Looks amazing!! If you have not heard it before, look up the soundtrack on Spotify. Lin-Manuel is a genius!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of musicals but this looks great

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
cannot wait to see this. I love movie musicals and In the Heights is still my personal favorite of Lin-Manuel Miranda's work. this looks absolutely spectacular

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen the broadway show but that looked fun as hell.

Between this & The Prom's movie adaptation on Netflix, I hope this marks the beginning of a resurgence of movie adaptations of Broadway musicals.

There's also Spielberg's upcoming adaption of Westside Story.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely gonna see this. Been watching a lot of old Hollywood musicals lately and I'm happy there is this minor resurgence happening. Now just give me some more Sondheim (hopefully not filtered through Disney)!

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton film adaptation, when?

Miranda had an AMA on Reddit the other day. No film adaptation, but this is coming:

iEYupCf.jpg

On topic: Trailer legit gave me chills. Can't wait to see this, and awesome that he's updated it for modern politics.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Love Hamilton, but had never even heard a song from this. Looks fantastic and certainly feels like LMM.

On the topic of the Hamilton filmed performance, you know that shit has been edited and locked for years now and they are just waiting for performances of the play around the country to die down. So it could be quite awhile before that comes out.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved In the Heights - but the gulf between it and Hamilton is probably the largest since THX1138 and Revenge of the Sith.

I'm hoping for a Busby Barkley level of spectacle for a future Hamilton movie. Go fucking nuts. Build visuals to match the music in a brilliantly imagined 16th century. That treatment already makes this movie look amazing and unexpected compared to the stage show.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Jon Chu directed? Well it looks good, and its rare to see Hispanics get movies so we in there next summer .

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Miranda had an AMA on Reddit the other day. No film adaptation, but this is coming:

iEYupCf.jpg

On topic: Trailer legit gave me chills. Can't wait to see this, and awesome that he's updated it for modern politics.
thought this would be the case as we've seen footage with the original cast already. bit surprised it hasn't been simul-cast here in the UK but i assume it's to keep it feeling exclusive and hard to catch or something?

i believe the film rights to hamilton were sold a while back but i might be wrong.

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. I didn't know this was a thing. I re-listen to this regularly. Hell, I just relistened last week. Such a great show.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They have been. We have Cats about to release, In The Heights releasing in June, Everyone's Talking about Jamie in Oct, and West Side Story releasing next Dec. While The Little Mermaid, The Prom, and Tick Tick Boom are in pre production.
I really hope Hadestown gets a film adaptation if/when it finishes its Broadway run. Same for The Band's Visit & Dear Evan Hansen.

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. That looked great.

Musical spoilerish:
Abuela song is going to wreck me on the big screen. I hope it's as powerful as the cast recording.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I love the hell out of In The Heights, and will be seeing this as soon as it's out. I wish more contemporary, actually interesting musicals like this got film adaptations instead of stuff like Cats (which I don't even hate, but there's about 100 shows I'd pick for an adaption before that).

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
The superior musical finally getting the attention it deserves. Yes, I said it, In the Heights >> Hamilton.
You folks are NOT READY for this.

Wow. That looked great.

Musical spoilerish:
Abuela song is going to wreck me on the big screen. I hope it's as powerful as the cast recording.

Oh we cryin' again! And as far as I can tell, the original actress reprises her role as Abuela.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn this is the one I've been waiting for. Saw the broadway off a recommendation from my poetry teacher in Highschool and haven't been the same since. Also hits extra close given how much time I spent there with family. Will officially side eye the movie however if there isn't a nod to La Reina Del Chicharron in there somewhere.

GustyGardens

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This musical is very important to me. I already had chills just from watching the trailer. I really can't wait for it! It's nice to see some of the original cast are in the movie version, too! Also, I'll jump on that boat, too. In The Heights >>> Hamilton

Nina's song after Abuela dies is going to tear me up. I know it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the hell out of In The Heights, and will be seeing this as soon as it's out. I wish more contemporary, actually interesting musicals like this got film adaptations instead of stuff like Cats (which I don't even hate, but there's about 100 shows I'd pick for an adaption before that).
Cats has been a long running successful show since the 80's, plus got a huge budget close to 100 million for the film, as well as casting well known stars. It will be fascinating to see how well it does because it could very well bomb.

In The Heights will probably 100x better but I really hope it really makes a noticeable dent in the box office.