• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 17, 2018
I honestly wish they'd take a long hiatus here with the remakes.

I loved Re2Make, but, they still haven't topped REMake. Come back when you have some genuine inspiration outside of making money before you even touch RE4.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I don't get some people's obsession with a game being talked about. It's more than enough if it's a quality product and it sells enough to make sure there's another one later. Not every big game needs to fill Twitter with memes to be successful.
I agree, especially if it's singleplayer only. But I guess it kinda stands out because people still talk about RE2 Remake

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
What make Re2 remake great: exploration, puzzle, feel in danger/suprise with mister X, backtracking, survival ?

Re3 have close to none to any of that..... i'm 0 surprise it's going to be forget.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Remake 3 is a great game...that I have absolutely no desire to return to for the forseeable future.

That's disappointing. I legit liked the game, but it's nowhere near on the same level as Remake 2. I beat that game quite a few times and loved it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The sewers in RE3R don't overstay their welcome, tho. The sewers in RE2R were boring and went on forever, killing all momentum from the police station. By contrast, the sewers in RE3R are just a detour. The RE3R sewers are fast and focused and fun, a detour between two Nemesis encounters, set in a new place with a new enemy type.
Every place in the game feels like a detour, which is by design, but also makes it not memorable and not replayable. It's setpiece->small/short area->repeat.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe on Resetera, but I'm pretty sure this game is popular in the general public. They don't care about cut content they weren't aware of in the first place.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I'll play it eventually but I really wasn't ready for it so soon after Remake2, yearly franchises burn me out.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I haven't forgotten it, but I just spent a lot of money upgrading my PC so I couldn't afford it on release. I want to buy it when it goes on sale for cheap.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
The sewers in RE3R don't overstay their welcome, tho. The sewers in RE2R were boring and went on forever, killing all momentum from the police station. By contrast, the sewers in RE3R are just a detour. The RE3R sewers are fast and focused and fun, a detour between two Nemesis encounters, set in a new place with a new enemy type.

The sewers are fine on their own but it's obvious that it's a filler location. Besides finding a granade launcher there's nothing in that segment important story wise, lore wise, or that has any effect on further events. You could replace it with anything or even outright cut it and no one would even notice the difference. It doesn't help that Hunters gamma appear only once later in the game, when one Hunter suddenly bursts out of random capsule in the lab, and if you're fast enough you can even completely miss it.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked REmake 3. Its far better than REmake 1, not even a competition for me. I absolutely hate how REmake 1 controls, that alone would stop me from recommending it to anyone. Sound design and art direction are super good though. My only beef with REmake 3 is that it ends a little too soon. I think the general opinion of it wouldve been more positive if it had launched as dlc for 2 or for like 30-40.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
After the masterpiece of RE2 Remake,I had high expectations for RE3 Remake,it is a good game,but it is not a great Remake,so much content that made the original so good was cut,the fact the same team will probably hand the remake of the GOAT RE4 worries me.

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the game but it could've been a hell of a lot better. Too short, too linear, a completely toned down nemesis, and unsatisfying changes from the original (brad's death, police station, etc.). I absolutely love the updates to everyone's look including Nemesis.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree that the RE2R sewers went on forever, or killed the game's momentum. They're a proper RE level, versus the brief jaunt they were in the original game (with spiders you can run past). RE2R sewers even feature one of the most memorable moments in the game: the G-Adults in the pit on the way to the final two chess pieces.

RE3R sewers are basically a long corridor, and indicative of how much worse the level design is.

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
I don't personally think it was forgotten it's a nice game to do some quick runs in, however I do believe it does live in the shadow of the 2nd games release. Personally I was disappointed at the lack of reaction the zombies had to getting shot/losing a limb it felt scaled back compared to 2.

Oct 27, 2017
"forgotten" is some good old fashioned gaming forum hyperbole. i think we all remember it lol.

my roommate still routinely plays through the campaign from time to time since it's so dang short.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing it right now and really enjoying it (still only 2 hours in, in Raccoon City). Finally picked it up on Steam once when it was briefly discounted to $40 last week. Frankly, I was concerned Nemesis would be an annoying nuisance like Mr. X, but throughout the whole game... his absence thus far has been a welcome and pleasant surprise!

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Every time someone says RE3 is really short but RE2 isn't I just kind of get puzzled. My first playthrough of RE3 was 30 minutes shorter than my first playthrough of RE2. And it was an hour longer than my first playthrough of the original RE3. They're all like the same length. It isn't enough of a difference to dock one or the other for it.
My first playthrough of RE2R was 10 hours. RE3R was 6 1/2 hours. We all have a different experience the first time through and some folks are tripped by puzzles more than others. Its silly to try to think everyone's experience should be the *same* as yours.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Excellent game with some of the tightest design and pacing in the entire series. Arguably the best-looking and most well-acted as well. Highly replayable. Beat it seven times and made it my first platinum.

I don't miss anything from the original. It would've been cool to see Gravedigger with these graphics but I'm not sure where they could add the cut stuff back in without disrupting the pacing, and I wouldn't want to give up the new stuff.

This is a perfectly complete game, but releasing right around FF7 amid a global pandemic and economic crisis probably muddled its reception a bit.
I'm genuinely curious as to why its high replayable, in your opinion. I've seen others post the same thing.

The game doesn't have any random elements nor does it allow the player to deviate from its narrow path beyond the first section. What about it makes it highly replayable? I honestly have had zero desire to go back to it after my first run through while I've played through RE2R 6+ times so I am genuinely puzzled by these statements.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, even if you feel the game is fine cause you like the structure, the game just feels way too rushed and the amount of recycling of assets just feels off putting. Which is funny, cause peeople created this narrative that RE3 was an asset flip of RE2 cause of thee police ststion being in the game for five minutes. REmake 3 however is reusing way way more than RE3 ever did. Downright to zombies, weapons and even similiar locations like sewers and Nest.

The desert eagle being a replacement for the magnum says all you need to know about how much they didn't want to give itt thee lovw it deserves. Just a copy paste from REmake 2 into the game.

Also why didn't they add the minigun or the originaal rocket launcher back in? They were in REmake 2 so why the hell did they not copy paste them back in? Hrvk, the rocket launcher is technically in cause Carlos uses it and yet they don't give it to you.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Even at the time of its release, Resident Evil 3 seemed kind of slipshod and outdated. It was an obvious sidestory packaged as a sequel, and it did little to advance the ongoing story. It was using the same muddy pre-rendered backgrounds that people were kinda tired of, along with the same frustrating and tiresome tank controls. Metal Gear Solid had come along and shown the world how amazing and cinematic a full 3D game can look. Even within the survival horror genre, Silent Hill and Dino Crisis were using fully polygonal worlds to great effect. The Dreamcast was released in the USA just a couple weeks prior to RE3, and people were looking towards the future. Code Veronica was just on the horizon, and was clearly the more interesting and promising project since it promised both new tech and new story.

None of this is to say that RE3 was bad, but it was not in a position to hold much mindshare. It released in the wake of both the Dreamcast and Final Fantasy 8.....then the next couple months brought the world Medal of Honor, Gran Turismo 2, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 Arena, Jet Force Gemini, Donkey Kong 64, etc. RE3 is certainly remembered by fans of the series, but history forgot it because it was a very backward-looking game released in a very forward-looking time.

RE3's backgrounds aged better than SH,MGS, or DC rudimentady 3D environments. None of those games could achieve the scene complexity presented by the pre-rendered backgrounds.

The same tank controls continued for 3 games after RE3 and well into the subsequent generation.

RE3 is better liked and remembered even when compared to the likes of CEV and Re0.

The RE formula was getting predictable by that point and maybe capcom started to get a bit too comfortable with it , but that's about it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely curious as to why its high replayable, in your opinion. I've seen others post the same thing.

The game doesn't have any random elements nor does it allow the player to deviate from its narrow path beyond the first section. What about it makes it highly replayable? I honestly have had zero desire to go back to it after my first run through while I've played through RE2R 6+ times so I am genuinely puzzled by these statements.
I think what made it "replayable" is the shop and the harder difficulty having some differences. The gameplay was fun as well cause of the dodge.

With that said, it was still disappointing. The game needed to being back the randomization and choices back. Those added a lot of meat to the game and it was way more fun to replay the game with them.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
I really enjoyed it. It was a little short and it had a bit too much action for my tastes, but still a very good game.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I think what made it "replayable" is the shop and the harder difficulty having some differences. The gameplay was fun as well cause of the dodge.

With that said, it was still disappointing. The game needed to being back the randomization and choices back. Those added a lot of meat to the game and it was way more fun to replay the game with them.
All of that, and the boss fights were more enjoyable too.

The biggets issue with RE3 is that it really doesn't feel like your playing through the original RE3 events.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Biggest disappointment is the lack of exploration. You revisit the same area multiple times and barely any puzzles and safe to crack. Which make removing sametary and clock tower even worse because there were only so few to begin with. It does have the potential to be the best RE game ever, they perfected the uncharted cinematic action horror that they tried to pull with Re6 but the end product failed to live up to its full potential.

Feb 24, 2018
RE3R isn't a bad game in any means the same way RE3 isn't but as others said, both are in the shadows of better and more memorable games and RE3R just wasn't as good as RE2R, from the changes to melee weapons worked, the cuts and the rushed pacing and short time hurt it. Like I said, it isn't a game I'm likely going back to for a while but didn't hate the experience.

What's happened with Resident Evil Resistance, the game that came with it? Never played it and heard even less on it.

Also just as an aside, what is with Resident Evil Remakes problem with Spiders? They keep cutting them out, Spiders are cool, keep the Spiders!!!!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

www.destructoid.com

No matter how many times I beat Resident Evil 3, it just doesn't get old

And I’ll never skip the rooftop cutscene The Resident Evil 3 remake has drawn criticism for being too short –...

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
It's a fine game but it will hardly rank above RE1, RE2 or RE4 on anyone's list. What I cannot appreciate is they left out parts of an already short game and rushed it to market. Parts that could have been really cool in this Remake template.

Field

Oct 29, 2017
I love horror games so it was disappointing they made linear cinematic action game.