In retrospect should Sony have given the PS4 Pro better specs for a higher price?

• Yes they should have gone for better specs for a higher price

Votes: 551 40.5%
  • No, the Pro was a good mix of specs and price

Votes: 810 59.5%

• Total voters

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. The ps4 pro is a complete joke. The pysical design of the console is shambolic and feels cheap af. Ken kutaragi would never have allowed it to leave the design team. The power wasnt a big enough jump and the lack of a 4k blu ray drive is hillarious. Only the most ardent sony fan can defend it. Anyhoo, time to take off on my ps4 pro jet engine!!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Segmenting the userbase (a tad). Throwing away the advantage of one-make consoles (game optimization). Making is so that vanilla console owners don't necessarily 'get what they see' in game advertisements and reviews.

I've bought only a couple PS4 games and no X1 games since the launch of these platforms, whereas before the Pro and 1X I bought several dozen. (Switched to PC)

The final shoe that will drop is when next gen consoles bring the most limited performance gains of any console generation ever.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yes. The ps4 pro is a complete joke. The pysical design of the console is shambolic and feels cheap af. Ken kutaragi would never have allowed it to leave the design team. The power wasnt a big enough jump and the lack of a 4k blu ray drive is hillarious. Only the most ardent sony fan can defend it. Anyhoo, time to take off on my ps4 pro jet engine!!

Well that was embarrassing.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
They should've made it better, but the price was right for what we got. Still doesn't mean the 1X didn't put it to shame even taking into account the one year tech offset. They didn't do much to maintain interest in their platform this past year while Switch ate their lunch so the Pro does look worse and worse in retrospect but at the time it wasn't that bad.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Absolutely not.

£350 for the PS4 Pro in 2016 was much better value than £450 for the 1X in 2017. To my eyes, on my 4K TV most games on the PS4 Pro look just as good as games running at a slightly higher resolution on the 1X. The Pro versions tend to have better frame rates and less screen tearing in my experience, too.

I dislike how they pinched pennies by not putting in a 4K bluray drive, though, or a cooling system that doesn't sound like the world coming to an end.

Last edited:

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
From a financial point of view, they were definitely right with what they did with PS4 Pro, now we know PS4 sold-in 100m

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope the highers specs did nothing for ms interms of sales and increasing marketshare in the longterm. PS4 pro is not too expensive and just enough of an upgrade to see a noticeble difference. Considering the hardware in the pro, sony will be able to do decent price drops as well.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Lol, good grief. I can get not liking it, but definitive statements like "only the most ardent sony fan can defend it" just comes across as silly. It's totally subjective.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Wow...

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I though it was pretty smart not just tp keep it at 400 but to not make too much fanfare about it. The base ps4 needs to stay out front and not look like a struggle version. Games come in at 1080p with antialiasing and don't come across looking complely different to the casual eye when compared to the same game rrunning at a higher resolution.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im happy with the Pro but there was no need for Sony to launch it so early and far ahead of X1X. They rocked the sales numbers, they could have waited and matched X1X.

Still x1x didnt hurt the succes of the combo PS4/PS4Pro

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Im happy with the Pro but there was no need for Sony to launch it so early and far ahead of X1X. They rocked the sales numbers, they could have waited and matched X1X.

Still x1x didnt hurt the succes of the combo PS4/PS4Pro

What MS did later is irrelevant. Sony released a new console at a price that would make them the most money over the next 3-4 years.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
What about the third option? "Pro should not have existed in the first place"?

Seems like a redundancy which will only be more redundant once PS5 comes out.

So you live in an alternate reality where the PS4 Pro won't have been around for four full years by the time the PS5 comes out. And hasn't sold so well since it launched that it's still selling for $400. And where PS4 Pro versions of games like Horizon and Spiderman aren't used in all of Sony's very effective marketing.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I voted for the more powerful box because I always want more power. But for Sony, they likely played their cards right.

Also can we just get a custom PS from Sony next gen that's actually a mid-range PC with PS OS. I want to spend $500-600 on a beefy PS5, I do it for my phone and laptop, would love a truly premium game console and not something thats outdated by PC gpu in the first year.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I think it was pretty much the right move for 2016. Minor spec bump to make checkerboard-4k obtainable as 4k TVs were starting to become more common.

Jun 23, 2019

Oof. This isn't it chief.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
PS4 sold 100mi unities. What else can be said?

There's nothing to improve in the way Sony handles their hardware.

PS5 will sell another 80 to 100mi no matter what happens.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Some of you seem to miss the purpose of the Pro and to a lesser extent the One X. They weren't made to be sales juggernauts. They never had a chance to meaningfully outsell or even sell on par with the base models. The issue here is the Pro is billed as a premium product yet looks like a cheap piece of black plastic and is missing what some consider premium features and was still fucking restricted by price. It's annoying how much of a misfire the thing was.

What about the third option? "Pro should not have existed in the first place"?

Seems like a redundancy which will only be more redundant once PS5 comes out.
Look at titles like Control, the PS4 is probably the worst performing version of that game. It's my opinion that the Pro and X exist to buy time to develop the next gen consoles for the people that care. The Pro is a stop gap and a sin delivered by way of significantly underpowered baselines.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
This is another example of Simple Cerny. They "butterflied" the GPU with a modest bump in memory bandwidth to support that and bumped the CPU clocks a bit.

Nothing overly complicated and something very easy for developers to get a handle on.

Their thought process hadn't changed since PS4 and I don't think it'll change with PS5 either.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Power is very overrated.

Its all about getting units in homes and software support. It is rare that the most powerful console is the one that sells the most units or gets the best software.

The PS3 was cutting edge in a lot of ways which made it really expensive and the PS4 was definitely not and was mostly off the shelf stuff. That surely did not hurt their sales or bottom line.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So you live in an alternate reality where the PS4 Pro won't have been around for four full years by the time the PS5 comes out. And hasn't sold so well since it launched that it's still selling for $400. And where PS4 Pro versions of games like Horizon and Spiderman aren't used in all of Sony's very effective marketing.

I mean, i dont really think it means very much. Without Pro, Sony could have still made up the difference in revenue gained with the slimline machine considering only 1 in 5 of PS4's sold are Pros.

As for the Pro's use in the marketing, it honestly means very little due to the games being practically identical between base and pro outside of resolution differences. Whether the game was demoed on base PS4 or Pro means very little since the same effect would apply. Base PS4 was the E3 demo for god of war, and that made no difference to the fact that it was praised.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The only thing preventing the ps4 to sell more than the PS2 is the PS5. :D

Hehe. Well between price drops, the PS4 games we know are coming, the PS4 games we don't yet know are coming, potential sales from subscribers to PS Now as they evolve the service and sales from developing markets I think they can squeeze another 60ish million sales out in the nexy 4 or 5 years.

I'm thinking the PS5 will launch at 500 dollars in this scenario.

British

Dec 15, 2018
It's fine, but they should have made it thicker to hold better cooling that runs quieter.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Look at titles like Control, the PS4 is probably the worst performing version of that game. It's my opinion that the Pro and X exist to buy time to develop the next gen consoles for the people that care. The Pro is a stop gap and a sin delivered by way of significantly underpowered baselines.

On the contrary, the base machines would have been optimized better for the game itself if they were the only machines. Its less that these games are too much for the consoles and more that the devs think pro and X will make up for them not having to account for performance for the base machines.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Power is very overrated.

Its all about getting units in homes and software support. It is rare that the most powerful console is the one that sells the most units or gets the best software.

The PS3 was cutting edge in a lot of ways which made it really expensive and the PS4 was definitely not and was mostly off the shelf stuff. That surely did not hurt their sales or bottom line.
Ps4 was more powerful than the x1, but both PSOne and PS2 were weaker than their rivals.

And perception matters more than reality: GameCube was much more powerful than PS2 an people saw it as a kiddy toy box less powerful.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I don't see $100 more to be a deal breaker, but the way people were complaining about the Pro back then, then they definitely chose the right price. And when you look at how often Xbox One X goes for $400, it's very likely that MS lost money on their refresh while Sony turned a profit.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah, they should have. If felt kind of rushed without thinking about the long run, TBH. Microsoft did it better with Xbox One X. It didn't even have an Ultra Blu-Ray disc drive built in.

Meanwhile, Microsoft had that within both the Xbox One S & the Xbox One X, & one of them was sold for about $300 at the time (I doubt that it's still at that price now).

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
The Pro could have really done with better cooling. It sounds like a hairdryer after a while. Lack of 4K Blu Ray was also a bummer and I don't think that would have affected price much.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Hehe. Well between price drops, the PS4 games we know are coming, the PS4 games we don't yet know are coming, potential sales from subscribers to PS Now as they evolve the service and sales from developing markets I think they can squeeze another 60ish million sales out in the nexy 4 or 5 years.

I'm thinking the PS5 will launch at 500 dollars in this scenario.
I don't think Sony wants to keep making the ps4 for another 4 years.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It was good for the time I guess.

But I am ready for then PS5 now. The Pro doesn't feel really Pro anymore to me. Can't stand the noise either.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They absolutely should have done better. The 1X puts the Pro to shame, and not just in terms of sheer horsepower.

Designing a thermal solution that doesn't sound like a blender, While being legit compact, including an UHD blu ray drive, supporting stuff like 1440p, ALLM, Atmos etc.
Considered how much sold the X, I think sony has been more wise than MS. I bet it give them even more revenues.

Oct 27, 2017
I've got one and it already feels underutilized, not sure how more power and a higher price would help in that regard.

Like here I am with a Pro and a VR headset and still GT Sport only lets me do a time trial and even without the VR there is no benefit except for resolution boost :/

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I would like more power than Xbox with 300 dollars price tag.
Sony did the right thing. Build a base console with good price and performance. Middle gen upgrades proved to have a minimal effect.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Except the fan noise Pro is absolutely an excellent console. Call it a joke is pure trolling. And calling the jump between a 7850 gpu to an RX 480 not big enough prove again the people who talk against the pro specs, barely know of what they talking about.