Livia

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Bergen
Kinda hate that after so many years without paying for online, it comes to an end.. I fully understand it, but they better deliver.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Not worried and quite happy to pay the fee. It works out as a couple of quid a month. I pay so many bills already, another few pounds won't personally worry me.

I'm curious about what the benefits will be, though I'm pretty confident they won't be anything special. I'm expecting a barebones online experience that a lot of people rant about as a missed opportunity... But pay the fee anyway because they want to play Mario Kart, Splatoon and Smash.
"Happy to pay the fee".

That's weird. But I guess better be happy than frustrated lol.

Deleted member 19274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy its only $20, and the added classic games are great. With XBL, I pay 60 and only really use it for online play. At least with Nintendo's service, I'll actually bother with the free games.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

There's a whole bunch more details there. The service launches with 20 NES games with added online functionality, they list only 10 of them though. Cloud saves are cloud saves, I don't really know what else they can share about that. They also say there will be exclusive deals but will detail those "soon".

So we know most of what we're paying for, just a few details remain unknown.

Thanks very much for posting the link, I wasn't aware that Nintendo had even published this.

Unfortunately it's still not a whole lot of information however, not enough to really decide if it's worth paying for. And it launches next month!

For cloud saves we get "Save your data online for easy access. Details about this feature will be available before the paid service launches in September."

That they intend to provide more info before September is good, because basic questions aren't answered, things like:

- Can I manage multiple saves for a given game on a single profile? (useful for BotW for example)
- Can I play my saves using my profile on another Switch?
- How many saves can I store in the cloud? (e.g. mb/gb limit per profile? max per Family account?)

On the NES games, they say 20 games will be playable but only list 10. They also don't explain how/when those games will cycle, if you can keep access to them permanently so long as you had an active subscription when the specific NES game was available, etc.

And then on the online multiplayer, it's not clear if multi-system local (aka LAN) multiplayer is supported. Maybe that's been answered somewhere? Basically, can I play vs Mario Kart on two switches on my LAN locally without a subscription?

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Talking to someone

Sending someone a message

Sending someone an invite

I can count the number of times I've done this since ps3 on one hand, not a real big deal for me personally.

Having an identifiable account name instead of 3 people just called "matt"

I'd rather be able to change my name, something I can't do on PSN.

Getting a free game that's not 35 years old

Streaming

Accessing purchases and account features on a non primary console

"Free" games? Yeah ok. I purchase the classics on every platform anyway so at least now I'm getting them for "free" right?

Streaming ain't a big deal, it would be a nice QOL change not having to swap to the PS4, Apple TV or Chromecast but eh, I have 3+ devices plus laptops, phones and tablets that can stream.

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever. The price is so minuscule that I just shrug it off
5591.jpg

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess we're getting an OS update in the next weeks because I don't even think they could enforce the subscription as of now

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
$20 usd for a year vs $60+ usd for the competitors.
Yeah but wait until people talk to you about the VALUE (when everyone just wants to be able to play online) of those services. Boy, such value, whew. We're practically stealing them.

Really makes me wonder why they don't offer a standalone cheaper online-play focused option. Hmmm...

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
$20 usd for a year vs $60+ usd for the competitors.
Yes, and all that is being offered, and the quality of the service is identical /s

Clearly it's a third of the price for good reason. You can't even use voice chat unless you download a damn phone app. Want to make a group for your friends? Too bad, Etc. The Switch's service isn't even comparable to the other two.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Annoyed because I switched my main Rocket League account to my Switch

Besides Rocket League I don't see myself gaming a lot online. Might be in if that Family plan stuff is really cheap, but lordy do they need to announce some incentives to their online service. It seems like a joke compared to PSN/XBL

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It sucks but I really can't blame a Nintendo. At this stage in the game, it's more than just money on the table. Everyone's got to start figuring out subscription services.

syth

Oct 25, 2017
It's the price of 4 or 5 coffees for a year, even if I use it once or twice it'll be fine. Some of you people act like you live in a tin shack popping coins into your electricity meter.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
So are they going to improve their service or something? It just changing from free to paid overnight with no change seems like something that would anger a lot of people.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it. Free games and hopefully less cheaters.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So are they going to improve their service or something? It just changing from free to paid overnight with no change seems like something that would anger a lot of people.
There will be online-enabled NES games at the disposal, cloud saves, and access to sales and promotions as a way to ease the punch, but just like in PSN and XBL that's just padding for what's the meat and potatoes, the ability to play online. But it's not like it hasn't been announced for nearly 2 years by the time it releases.

Oct 25, 2017
There will be online-enabled NES games at the disposal, cloud saves, and access to sales and promotions as a way to ease the punch, but just like in PSN and XBL that's just padding for what's the meat and potatoes, the ability to play online. But it's not like it hasn't been announced for nearly 2 years by the time it releases.
i saw your quote and then one post down, it happened. the "value".

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I just hope the "with new games added regularly" part of the service actually does happen. I understand in the past that they wanted to trickle out the VC games but it always seemed way too few considering their vast library. If they do this right and keep fresh offers pretty regularly, I'll opt in. I don't play any current games online, well besides a bit of Fortnite here and there, so the NES titles is the main draw for me.

Oct 28, 2017
In one month, I won't have to be paranoid about losing my 200+ hour BotW save. Or any other progress. And for less than half of what PS+/XBLG costs.

Bring it on.

Why are you just letting them do this? Why can't we just back them up on our own? I know they're worried about piracy, but piracy is a service problem. As long as they keep their finger out of their arse and develop the eshop to be strong, with good pricing, they'll be fine.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I never play online, but I hope the other benefits make it worth my while. I pretty much use PS+ and XBLG the same way, so by comparison, this seems like a very good deal.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I just hope the "with new games added regularly" part of the service actually does happen. I understand in the past that they wanted to trickle out the VC games but it always seemed way too few considering their vast library. If they do this right and keep fresh offers pretty regularly, I'll opt in. I don't play any current games online, well besides a bit of Fortnite here and there, so the NES titles is the main draw for me.
The trickle plan was due to each game needing to sell, no one could be overlooked if they did them one or two at a time. Whereas a service benefits from having a wide library and no one game drives the profit

Oct 28, 2017
So in one month we will start to pay for online. As i understand that an online servoce on console can t be free, i m a little afraid of nintendo marketing about this.
No change in september when i thought Smash would be the title to launch this...

Am i the only one worried ? Or maybe a surprise at Gamescom will come (new dlc roads on MK8 ?)

I think everyone here knows it's coming next month...

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
This is just a Splatoon fee to me. $20 is practically nothing. It will weed out some hackers and kids I suppose who can't afford to pay subs.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Why are you just letting them do this? Why can't we just back them up on our own? I know they're worried about piracy, but piracy is a service problem. As long as they keep their finger out of their arse and develop the eshop to be strong, with good pricing, they'll be fine.
It is very unfortunate that cloud saves are behind a paywall, but I consider it a peace of mind thing and move on. $20 a year for save backup, plus some classic games and basic online services; as a consumer, there are far, far worse things out there. Gotta pick your battles...

I do agree that we should be able to back up our saves locally. Nintendo has to figure out how to be as supportive of their customers as they were in the past without locking their newer hardware up tight.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
It scares me that they're going to charge for an online service that doesn't even allow you to message your friends. Maybe they'll get their asses in gear and make it a decent online experience once it costs money but if nothing changes I don't see how they can justify charging for the current service.

Oct 25, 2017
It scares me that they're going to charge for an online service that doesn't even allow you to message your friends. Maybe they'll get their asses in gear and make it a decent online experience once it costs money but if nothing changes I don't see how they can justify charging for the current service.
The justification is: if you don't pay, you will not play online games on Nintendo Switch.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Normally I would be upset, but it's chump change. I'll save being upset for how dogshit the actual service itself will end up being.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
This is the world we live in now. I've been fighting this bitterly for years but it's a lost cause. The time for fighting, community action, and peer education was years ago when 360 fans starting paying up stupid money for something that should be free. But now we're here and we aren't going back.

My only consolation is it's only $20 a year. I've already spent $150 on PS4's online for 3 years. That would buy me 7 years of Switch online.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Its a good thing I suppose, that Nintendo is putting zero effort into actually making it enticing. Smash is the only title on switch releasing within the next year or so that I have any interest on playing online and even then, I'm perfectly content not.

I seriously don't get their strategy.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's online service aside, what this thread proves is what an amazing job Sony and Microsoft are doing at marketing their own online services. It's shocking to me that they're seen as representing great value, and that the 'free games' they offer are seen as anything more than a bribe to justify a subscription cost equal to the price of a new AAA game.

Not saying that Nintendo are any better, but you'd think that the fact that they're the final console hold-out of free online, and the fact it's two thirds cheaper than that PS4 and XBO subscriptions, would at least people cause people to say "fair enough". But no, Sony and Microsoft are the pro-consumer saviours and Nintendo the evil, greedy corporation.

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's online service aside, what this thread proves is what an amazing job Sony and Microsoft are doing at marketing their own online services. It's shocking to me that they're seen as representing great value, and that the 'free games' they offer are seen as anything more than a bribe to justify a subscription cost equal to the price of a new AAA game.

Not saying that Nintendo are any better, but you'd think that the fact that they're the final console hold-out of free online, and the fact it's two thirds cheaper than that PS4 and XBO subscriptions, would at least people cause people to say "fair enough". But no, Sony and Microsoft are the pro-consumer saviours and Nintendo the evil, greedy corporation.
Any company that allows free online MP at this point is frankly stupid.

You can act like it's anti-consumer, but just remember it was the consumers themselves who voted overwhelmingly last gen that they preferred to pay MS a fee to use their own internet over the perfectly fine free alternatives. Nobody forced them, they did it on their own and with a grin on their faces to boot. Take your ire out on your fellow gamers.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
They need to dramatically improve the service I guess. There isn't really a killer app to make me play online currently and that is what I don't get about this. They could at least push it back to Smash, people would have to buy Nintendo Online then.

Then again MHGU is out just a week before this, so ouch.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to see the free games with added multiplayer. Hope they have a party system as well for group chat.
Oh, my sweet summer child...

I'm happy its only $20, and the added classic games are great. With XBL, I pay 60 and only really use it for online play. At least with Nintendo's service, I'll actually bother with the free games.
The free NES games?

I can count on one hand all the NES games I want to play in 2018. And I wouldn't even really play them that much because I've already played them to death.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Will be worth it for MHGU, Smash, MK8D and Splatoon 2. I don't really care much about NES games and cloud saves are cherry on top. I already pay for PSN and XBL so one more service is no big deal.

At the end of the day, gaming is a hobby and a luxury. If I feel that the asking price is enough for me to keep indulging in my hobby, I'll pay. Otherwise I move on. It's unhealthy to be emotionally attached to gaming.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious if this warrants a Nintendo direct in their eyes, or if they'll just clarify some of the missing pieces through press release