• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you are speed-running, Cranky is the preferred partner due to Pogo.

Although I believe in Tropical Freeze Switch Funky is the speedrun character of choice instead.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Diddy gets the distinction of being by *far* the best Kong underwater, so much so even Funky speedruns specifically switch to DK just to have Diddy during underwater levels.

iirc the standard mode speedrun uses Diddy in more levels than Dixie, lol.
yeah i was gonna say i remembered always picking diddy for water stages back when this came out on the wii u.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
jep. choosing characters destroyed the game for me. country returns is superior in other regards as well, like music and overall art style. to top it off, the coop in tropical freeze just doesnt feel right.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
People always overlook how good cranky is, don't need to be a speedrunner to take advantage of those slick pogo skills.

But it is one of those difficulty curve kinda things, Dixie is handy training wheels, cranky is versatility and Diddy is....crapper Dixie

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
As other have said, it's a momentum thing. I actually think it's really well-considered design considering the target audience. Imo they were able to make the levels a little harder because inexperienced players can use her as a crutch, and everyone else should use the other monkeys to go faster. I think of her inclusion as a feature that's not really for me so I don't really count her inclusion making it a bit easier as a net negative

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In a game where you can build up so much momentum, her hover destroying any momentum you have kills it for me. Funky's double jump feels much better.

Once you start speedrunning levels Cranky is by far the most satisfying and just overall the best one.
Yeah this, Cranky's the best when you want to go fast.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As far as platforming goes, Dixie excels when either the player's doing a lot of stop-and-go platforming that ends up needing the extra aerial safety net more, or when there's a lot of overhead hazards and overly large pits that make it too difficult to get value out of Cranky's pogo hop. Otherwise it's the Cranky show. The speed he keeps on his hops, the new thrilling routes he opens up and the general joy and ease of use in controlling the height he gets off his pogo hops puts him way above the other two.

Diddy's the real disappointment here. He made sense in Returns where he was pulling double duty on giving the player the mobility perk people would expect from him and offering a Dixie-ish glide in the air. In Tropical Freeze where everyone offers that baseline infinite rolling perk, this just leaves the Glide that seems like it's only concerned about being balanced against Dixie's double jump when it really ought to be competitive against Cranky's pogo jumps. Dixie's toolkit will always have a place at any point in the game because of the playstyle it covers. Diddy should be the go-to speed option whenever Cranky doesn't have the ceiling or the enemies to work with.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cranky Kong is the favorite for speedrunning, and he's generally the more skill-based character (and personally the most fun).

Diddy Kong lacks a niche in standard levels, but he's easily the best character for underwater stages.

Dixie Kong is basically the easy mode option.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
Yeah, I primarily used Dixie on my first playthrough because she made things easier.

Partnered with Cranky primarily when I played through to get 100%, and then used him in hard mode. He's a lot more fun, in my opinion.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Because I like to move quickly in platformers and Dixie destroys your momentum.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
If she could help me beat that puffer fish in the WiiU version i'd be so happy, because she is my go to.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She was absolutely my crutch. Cranky was more fun to speed run with though.