xtYxntk.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Also that salt

e: note you will typically be adding salt to this pork once you eat it so its not actually 75mg

Q3OtI5W.png

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
is it possible to make impossible (heh..oxymoron) pork ribs, bones and marrows too as those were essential in asian cuisine, specifically stew and soup based dishes.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I need my pork belly though. Can they make it taste like crispy fatty pork belly?

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'll stick w my organic turkey bacon thanks, because that sodium loooool ( yes the bacon I have is low sodium)

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Ooof, that's pretty salty. As someone who requires a low salt diet for medical reasons, I'm gonna give that a very hard pass.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
tbh I find beyond and impossible don't need any extra salt, or maybe just a little. it's seasoned inside and out for the most part already

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've just announced generic 'pork' so you just have to love all the posts asking if they also have bone marrow and pork belly.

Obviously not.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Impossible*

*unless you have fuck loads of salt.

And it's not as if pork isn't pretty salty already.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i bet they can't make good chorizo out of it tho
The first thing I thought about when they were showing it is. Is where's the chorizo?

Bet it would actually make a solid chorizo though. Put it through the kitchen aid sausage maker with garlic, paprika and even more salt lol. Compress into a vegan friendly sleeve (I assume they exist). And viola. Maybe even throw it on the smoker after.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of killing you we'll just turn you into a literal human salt lick.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I want to be able to buy non-meat that tastes like meat, but every product I've tried has been somewhere between bad and terrible. One veggie burger I bought tasted literally like wet cardboard, and the aftertaste stayed with me for hours, right up the back of my throat and nose.

I tell a lie - a company called Heck in the UK does the "Bollywood Burger", but it's nothing like meat, it's a bit like a big mushy onion bahji.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to be able to buy non-meat that tastes like meat, but every product I've tried has been somewhere between bad and terrible. One veggie burger I bought tasted literally like wet cardboard, and the aftertaste stayed with me for hours, right up the back of my throat and nose.

I tell a lie - a company called Heck in the UK does the "Bollywood Burger", but it's nothing like meat, it's a bit like a big mushy onion bahji.

Definitely agree for beef, my experience is that at the very best (and most expensive) fake beef tastes like really cheap meat (reminds me of school dinners or the kind of thing you buy from a lay-by).

Chicken on the other hand I've found a lot of vegan chicken substitutes that are fantastic.

That salt number is such a red herring, ground pork isn't seasoned, if you add a quarter of a teaspoon of salt to your 4oz of pork while cooking it that's over 500mg

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, back when I was a veggie (Was vegetarian for 25 years) I used to refer to veggie burgers as Carpetburgers, such was the joy in eating them.

I mean I get that options have improved a little over the last couple of years, but I couldn't go back to vegetarianism, so much healthier with a balanced proper diet, but props to those that maintain it. for me though it was a mistake, not one I regret, but certainly one I learned from.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does it have to be so salty?

do not want.

You just gotta stop trying to replicate the taste of meat and try to find substitutes that perform the same role as meat.

i've had killer black bean burgers with more flavor than most hamburgers

i mean, you're gonna have to make them or find some place that does. You can't buy anything good frozen and processed.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I don't like salt. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

But seriously, what's the problem with salt? I like salt just fine.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree for beef, my experience is that at the very best (and most expensive) fake beef tastes like really cheap meat (reminds me of school dinners or the kind of thing you buy from a lay-by).

Chicken on the other hand I've found a lot of vegan chicken substitutes that are fantastic.

That salt number is such a red herring, ground pork isn't seasoned, if you add a quarter of a teaspoon of salt to your 4oz of pork while cooking it that's over 500mg
I hear that the double freezing for tofu, like freeze, thaw, freeze again and then thaw. Creates a really nice chicken like texture in tofu. I gotta try it.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018

do not want.

You just gotta stop trying to replicate the taste of meat and try to find substitutes that perform the same role as meat.

i mean, you're gonna have to make them or find some place that does. You can't buy anything good frozen and processed.
I agree totally with this. I'm eating a LOT less meat than I used to. Maybe a small amount once every day or two instead of with pretty much every meal, but I'm not sold on substitutes. I'll eat veggie lasagna, for instance, but veggie lasagna with fake mince is a total turn off for me.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

do not want.

I tried some of these hipster meat replacements and I'm done with it for now. Doesn't taste like meat and more important doesn't taste very good.
My wife and kids hated all of them.

Create things that taste better than meat instead!

Oct 26, 2017

This might help:
(Most, if not all of these tend to have enough for at least two servings, or for two people. Also, all are 100% vegan)

Sausages:
Richmond's Meat-Free sausages - Tesco - about £2.50 for a pack of 8

Mince:
Naked Glory Mince - Tesco/Sainsburys - £3 for 260g

Beef:
This one is a bit tricky. Nothing so far tastes like beef, but here are some good "meaty" tasting alternatives

Fry's Beef Style Strips - Holland and Barrat / Sainsburys / Morrisons - £3ish a box but varies on location
(Available in chilled and in frozen. Frozen is better value for money IMO)

Gardein Beefless Strips with Szechuan sauce - Sainsburys - £4.50 a bag
(Sauce is in a little packet so you can ignore it if you want)

Chicken:
THIS isn't chicken - Holland and Barrat / Waitrose - £3.50 for a box
(THIS is absolutely fantastic. You can feed this to people without telling them it's vegan and they wouldn't know.)

Fry's Chicken Style Strips - Holland and Barrat / Sainsburys / Morrisons - £3ish a box but varies on location
(Not as chicken-y as THIS, but still good for a stir-fry)

Fry's Chicken style burgers - Holland and Barrat / Sainsburys / Morrisons - £3ish a box but varies on location
(Weirdly, more chicken-y than the strips. very good as a burger)

Fry's Chicken style nuggets- Holland and Barrat / Sainsburys / Morrisons - £3ish a box but varies on location
(Same deal as the burger)

Fish:
Gardein Golden Fishless Fillets - Sainsburys - £4.50 a bag

Vivera Fish burgers / Goujons - Tesco/Sainsburys - £3 a box

Fry's Prawn Style Pieces - Holland and Barrat / Sainsburys / Morrisons - £3ish a box but varies on location

Quorn Fish Fingers / Fillets (Battered or breaded) - Asda / Waitrose / Tesco - £2.50ish
(Not normally a fan of Quorn, but this is one of the exceptions. The fish fingers are quite small but the fillets are great!)

Burgers:
Moving Mountains Burger - RESTAURANTS ONLY - £?
(This is, by far, the best imitation meat burger I have ever tasted. Doesn't taste like "beef", but it does taste like a "meat" and has a great texture, and can be juicy depending on how it is cooked. I highly recommend trying to find a place near you that does it. You can use this tool:

MM have also just launched two frozen products into sainsburys, but they're quite expensive and I haven't eaten them yet so no review/reccomendation just yet.)

Co-Op Incredible burger - Co-Op - £2.50-£3
(Probably best "bang for buck" burger for home cooking

Quorn - Various - £2-3
(Need to check as not all are Vegan. These can actually be pretty good, as long as you fry them. The thinner ones are like a McDonald's burger, the bigger ones are more like a pub-lunch burger)

Bacon:
THIS isn't Bacon- Holland and Barrat / Waitrose - £2.50 for 10 rashers
It's like streaky bacon without the fat, fucking delicious!
----------------------

Thats all I can think of now, but if there's a particular thing you're looking for hit me up. I'm all about the replacement meats and I'm a fairly harsh critic

Edit: Wouldn't bother with Beyond burger/sausage just now. Too expensive and tastes the same as some of the things I listed above.

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
Quorn - Various - £2-3
(Need to check as not all are Vegan. These can actually be pretty good, as long as you fry them. The thinner ones are like a McDonald's burger, the bigger ones are more like a pub-lunch burger)

Watch out with Quorn intake over time though, it's possible to get increasingly intolerant of it over time and long-term can cause digestion / gastro issues. (Personal experience of both myself and my still-Veggie Wife).