• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
xiii and xiii-2 are flawed games but fun in their own ways. lightning returns is one of the best games in the series

for elaboration on those points, see the lttp threads i made for xiii-2 and lightning returns last year

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can't possibly quote everyone who responded, but rest assured I read all the replies.

I think I'll def check out the trilogy when it comes to game pass

Vorg

Dec 13, 2019
I can't possibly quote everyone who responded, but rest assured I read all the replies.

I think I'll def check out the trilogy when it comes to game pass
Do try them out. Those games are very cheap now so why not. Be warned though, the game is super linear for like 10 chapters straight where you mostly run forward, fight and watch cringe cutscenes. After 6 chapters I couldn't take it anymore.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
within an hour or two of FF7-R you are wandering the slums of midgar running optional sidequests for a gaggle of NPCs.

How long does a similar situation take to crop up in FFXIII?

I meant the maps themselves are fairly small and many consist of corridors with lots of shimmy through this gap in the wall type stuff.

I don't mind either way.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Are the FF13 games REALLY that bad? I never played them

The biggest complaint I hear is that it's like a long linear corridor/hallway. But tbh so was FFX and I enjoyed that game

If it's so bad, what exactly is bad about it?

FF13 is one of the worst games in the series (after the sequels I feel even more fine in saying that), but, having played them recently, 13-2 and LR are pretty cool and actually interesting as more experimental takes on the series.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a soft spot for 13 series. Amazing music and the world is beautiful. Xiii-2 is legit great and am looking forward to a replay. LW is alright but nothing special. Lightning the character is just awful and definitely brings down the games.

XIII is fine but is a weak entry in the series.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
"The Final Fantasy XIII is a long corridor" criticism is interesting to me.

I have heard that criticism since the game released, but since I had never played a 3d Final Fantasy game until this year (so far have finished VII og, VIII, IX and I am playing X now), I always thought that the other games before XIII where really different from that.

But after finishing 3 Final Fantasy games, I have to say the games strength (to me) so far was when they where more linear, for example the whole Midgar section in VII, the start of VIII, some of the linear town exploration in IX.

In comparison, when the games "opened up" it was the cause of frustration since the traversal of the world felt convoluted and hard to grasp where to actually go (VII quest to find the underwater item was the worst part of the game easily), exploration seemed to be rewarded by items, eidolons or limits, but aside from the ninja girl sidequest in VII, side quests felt like a waste of time or were too convoluted to progress (seriously playing Tifa´s theme song in a Piano to unlock her last limit break is obnoxious).

Now playing X, so far its the most linear by far, it can be argued that its the most "corridor" like game of the 4 I have played, but I am loving it.

In a few words I don´t really see why a game being a "corridor" is actually bad, since when playing the Final Fantasy games being a beautiful corridor was always there as a strength of the series.

Guess I will find out when I get to XIII.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
As I've said before:
  • XIII isn't good. It looks pretty, has some nice tunes, and the battle system is alright (once you get real far in), but everything else is not great. (I think it was especially disappointing coming off of XII which had a ton of content and a more interesting world.)
  • XIII-2 on the other hand is pretty great! I had a ton of fun playing through it compared to XIII.
  • LR is just...ok? I didn't finish my initial playthrough, but it's certainly a lot different compared to the previous games.

X is literally a corridor for the entire game, but still regarded as good by most people.

Yeah, my argument for that at least is that X at least feels like a lived-in world.
Like you can see how a lot of these areas are connected, you see people there, etc.

Whereas in XIII, it's basically like an amusement park ride for 2/3rds of the game, hopping between all these different areas that don't seem all that interconnected.
It gets better at least once you hit Gran Pulse since you can at least see how all of that is connected. Not so much Cocoon.