• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I mean, why..

kYXaRBI.jpg

Ww6DTsuuTU5mjBJXneTelkyTcx6k_FH3-uFJ0PMQIBA.png

The HD Remaster Tidus doesnt have personality, I mean, with that face? lmao, it looks like a paperboard face

Why we let this happen, we got stuck with that face in every single re-release after that, PS4, PC, Xbox and Switch, why we did not made more noise to make square-enix patch the game like they did with FFVI or Chrono Trigger in PC?.

I cannot believe there is anyone that is ok with this change, Final Fantasy has a huge vocal fanbase, X has some kind of legendary status among them, lot of people got this game first on their old PS2, why, why is PC Emulation the absolutely best way to play it in 2019 when we have a port for every single device there is.

Tell me im not alone, square-enix screwed big time with this in a way it makes me not want to play any of the FF X remasters

maxresdefault.jpg

Yuna's face is Ok I guess, not the same but still not bad, she still has personality

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. This is why I didn't touch it. Then comes along the FF8 remaster, and they managed to touch up the faces while making them look better than the originals.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I think the base model just had a better default expression. Tidus isn't any more or less expressive in my opinion. Yuna looks pained in her PS2 model and at ease in her remastered model, for example.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
I myself thought Yuna got the shorter end of the stick. She looks like a different person.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I don't find this as egregious as FFVIII Remastered's Squall, tbh. He doesn't even look the same as his FMVs.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix is very hesitant to update FF games it seems, even when there is a vocal outcry. Doesn't help that X + X-2 was outsourced, either. Would be a lot more expensive to hire the same team to replace the faces.

also yeah Tidus is the worst hit but he's not exactly... popular? Most of the game he's at a middle distance while you're playing as him. Not many people would get too upset for his sake.

I actually prefer Yuna's newer model

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It's astounding how terrible it was.

It's like when Roseanne brought in the new actress for Becky.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The entire cast looks like crap and it's the main reason I didn't buy the game.

It's like when Capcom changes someone's face completely in Resident Evil. I don't care if their name is the same, if they look different they are a different character in my eyes.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. I'm also sad we didn't make more noise about the music glitch still being a thing in FF IX. SE doesn't really care.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how this got past any checks. Anyone would see how facial expressions became worse in literally every way. A PS3 remaster shouldn't be outdone by an early PS2 game

OP
OP
Prefty

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I don't know how this got past any checks. Anyone would see how facial expressions became worse in literally every way. A PS3 remaster shouldn't be outdone by an early PS2 game

My only reasonable guess is that they remastered the low poly version model first and went with that for everything...

1-141125224U0.jpg

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
they fucked up all the faces. Yuna lost her baby fat and everyone's eyes were dead.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
We tried to make a lot of noise at the old place but an equal amount came out of the woodwork to tell us how we were wrong and it's all perspectives and such. I platinumed the game anyway(not X-2 because fuck that tower game), but the faces are still terrible.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really REALLY hated it. It looks neither like in-game Tidus or cg Tidus.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The FFVIII remaster is even worse.

Only FFIX didn't fuck up its faces in the remaster, but that's because they were already ugly in the original

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For X yes, for IX they completely ignored the exact same complaints. Guess it's not as popular so fuck the people who bought it lol.
Maybe they fixed it in the last few months, I stopped checking at some point. I doubt it though.
VII and IX were both fixed on Switch. IX has been fixed on PS4 too but we're waiting on a fix for VII on PS4 still.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. I'm also sad we didn't make more noise about the music glitch still being a thing in FF IX. SE doesn't really care.
What is absolutely fantastic is that almost no reviewers even picked up on it. Game just reviewed highly across the board despite all its shortcomings. Huge input lag on menus, stilted faces, fucked up RNG, no audio loop. At some point you got to notice at least one of those...

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
VII and IX were both fixed on Switch. IX has been fixed on PS4 too but we're waiting on a fix for VII on PS4 still.
They definitely fixed the music glitch.
Holy shit what. I just checked and...woah. They were completely silent all this time and then they actually fixed it? Colour me surprised. Disregard my complaining then! I can finally listen to Over the Hills in it's entirety ingame...I'm so happy rn.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit what. I just checked and...woah. They were completely silent all this time and then they actually fixed it? Colour me surprised. Disregard my complaining then! I can finally listen to Over the Hills in it's entirety ingame...I'm so happy rn.
Well they left it unfixed on PS4 for a year so it's still pretty fucked.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well they left it unfixed on PS4 for a year so it's still pretty fucked.
Oh absolutely. When the Switch versions were announced I was like, "they surely won't release a broken version again....right? THey got to have a patch ready for all versions...right?"
And when they did release a broken version again an no patch was in sight, and barely anyone complained, I was in disbelief lol.
What is absolutely fantastic is that almost no reviewers even picked up on it. Game just reviewed highly across the board despite all its shortcomings. Huge input lag on menus, stilted faces, fucked up RNG, no audio loop. At some point you got to notice at least one of those...
Pretty much.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Tidus? Yuna's the real tragedy

all the emotion in her face in this scene is just gone :(

thank god they didn't alter the faces for XII

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's stopping me from ever really going back to it. FFX isn't one of my favourite entries in the series but even putting the character faces aside there's something in the lighting or rendering that didn't quite come across in any of the remasters and everything looks really flat by comparison.

I was hoping we'd get a PC mod where intrepid modders imported the PS2 assets back into the game but sadly it hasn't happened yet, although there have been some good retexture efforts but they still look off.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
You've definitely not played FFX then. I'm guessing you've seen the HAHAHAH meme and extrapolated.

Nah, it is terrible.

Through no fault of those involved, due to Square not really giving a toss about localisation at the time the English VA had to match the Japanese voice acting down to the second. If the clips were longer the game would break, which is why you hear so many odd stilted deliveries.