• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
d13h5cn-5150eb67-4f13-4e72-8656-39e11b279a3b.jpg

Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games ever made. It is awesome. It is also old. It's often been described as "timeless", but in recent years, it has started to show its age. I am well aware of the HD texture mod for the PC version, but that won't do much. RE4 was released in 2005. Textures is just one of the things that makes it old.

Playing Resident Evil 2 Remake earlier this year magnified this idea. For the longest time, up until we saw gameplay of the game at E3 last year, I was very firmly in the camp of "fixed camera angles or GTFO". I was convinced the game couldn't work if the player had the camera behind their back and if they could walk-and-aim. I thought the tension would be completely lost. I have possibly never been this wrong in my life about a video game. Resident Evil 2 Remake is fully modern in all of its aspects, and yet, it feels like classic RE. It is tense. I swear to you, in my first playthrough, Mr. X scared me to a level that I hadn't felt since I played the first Amnesia game. It was intense.

As I played RE2-R, I thought to myself: "Man, this game feels amazing to play. The movement, the aiming, the shooting, the reactions of the enemies when they get shot... If on top of that, Leon had the ability to suplex zombies, shit would be amazing." Of course, I don't want suplexes in RE2-R because that's not that type of game. But RE4-R...?

The people who made Resident Evil 2 Remake are immensely talented. Every aspect of this game is top-tier. I am convinced that this team has what it takes to take Resident Evil 4 and give it a remake that does it justice. They've already proved themselves. They've already showed me, a RE2 superfan, how wrong I was to think that a modern take on RE2 couldn't work. And they can show the world and everyone who thinks RE4 can't be remade that they can, in fact, do it correctly.

I want this game. I want RE4 remade from the ground up in the RE Engine. I want Leon to be able to walk and aim. I want every level in the game to be reimagined in the same way the police precinct of RE2 was, with the same level of attention and craft. I want the village of RE4, the game's best-remembered level, to wow us once more with how awesome it is as a set piece, just like it did back then, and just how RE2-R's police station wowed me earlier this year. I want Leon to suplex motherfuckers in the glory that is the RE Engine and its graphical wizardry.

I am ready for this game. Are you?

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
d13h5cn-5150eb67-4f13-4e72-8656-39e11b279a3b.jpg

Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games ever made. It is awesome. It is also old. It's often been described as "timeless", but in recent years, it has started to show its age. I am well aware of the HD texture mod for the PC version, but that won't do much. RE4 was released in 2005. Textures is just one of the things that makes it old.
Trust me, its not only textures theyve fixed.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I dunno. I feel like RE4 worked really well in its time, in its context, but I'm not sure a RE2-style remake would bring much to the game. I'm saying this as a huge Resident Evil fan -- I just not jonesing for the RE4 remake. I'd take RE3, Code Veronica, or even RE0 before it.

Oct 27, 2017
While I would buy it, I would rather we get remakes of the titles that actually do feel dated: 3, Code Veronica, the Outbreak games, maybe a game that puts together all the additional content from Survivor, Dead Aim, and the Chronicles duology.

A lot of the games I listed could use some fixing, while 4 has aged very well.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Having just replayed RE4 last week, I really see no need for a remake. The game still looks amazing and it plays better than RE2 remake in my opinion.

Dec 15, 2017
I feel that sixth gen games do not need a remake. They look and play well enough. I would focus on getting all those old RE games on PC first as well as releasing an official High Res texture pack for REMake.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
nah

It's a masterfully tuned game as is, RE2 is a new game keeping the spirit of the original

They should certainly go back to aspects of it in the future, being isolated in a rural place, angry crowds, ect, but I'd prefer as a new game and not a remake

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It's one of my favorite games of all time and I replay it every time they re-release on a new platform (which is to say, fucking everywhere).

I don't think a remake is worth it. It really doesn't look that dated and the directing still feels superbly modern. This is a completely different beast compared to 2 and 3, and it really holds up.

I think what you'd really like is a way to experience the game for the first time again, and we all get that when it comes to our classics, but you can't just remake everything for the sake of it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3 and Code Veronica first

What would an REm4ke actually bring to the table besides a graphics update and being able to walk forward while aiming?

the jump between RE2 and the remake is staggering but I feel like RE4 wouldn't benefit at all aside from a facelift.

You're not gonna get a reimagined map like RE2 because the RE4 map is already built for an RE2make experience. RE2's wasn't at all. It was a bunch of prerendered backgrounds that got made into physical 3D areas. RE4 is already that.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I can't even imagine that kind of task. Do the actually dare? Is it possible to remake one of the best games ever created?

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing 4 really need to improved or updated graphics and the RE4 HD project should help fix that. It really does help a lot. I'd rather they remake 3 and then maybe code veronica (maybe the game will actually turn out good) or work on a new Outbreak game. I'd buy a remake of RE4 either way, but the game is so perfect that they can't really improve much if they remake it. It'd probably just be an inferior version of the game.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I still think they have stop with the remakes at certain point,i drew the line with CVX.
You will get 4 then you will ask for 5, then 6 and then a RE-REmake of 1.
If they want to keep with the remakes thing,try to do it to revive dead ips IMHO.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
It doesn't need it tbh, not that I don't want to see it. The only flaw that game has is the inability to quick change weapons.

Oct 27, 2017
I see no point in a remake. Maybe something like Shadow of The Colossus could work but a full on from grounds up remake? I don't see the point. It would never be as good as 4 original.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Designing itself around limitations is part of what makes RE4 so good, I'm not convinced a modernisation would enhance what the game is

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck no. Look, RE4 is one of my favourite games of all time. It's my favourite RE and will likely never leave my all time top 5. It's GOAT material to this day.

That is exactly why it should never be remade. It's too good to be remade. How the fuck could a remake improve upon the original? It can't. It's impossible. You can remaster it. You can make it prettier. You can try adding some extra content to it. But full remake? Why? For what purpose? The original RE4 cannot be remade in to something better than it already is. It holds up and will always hold up.

Resident Evil 3? Plenty of reason to remake it. A modern take on the Nemesis alone makes it a VERY exciting prospect for a remake. There's so much they can do with an RE3 Remake to make it better, make it different and make it special. It's worth everybody's time to give RE3 the full remake treatment.

Fucking hell, even Code Veronica should get a remake before RE4. You can't remake perfection. Remaster, enhance it whatever. But remake? Nah don't you go touching RE4.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is anything worthwhile a remake can add to RE4.
Most modern third person shooters borrowed heavily from it so it really doesn't feel all that dated anyway.
I hope after Threemake they go to Code Veronica instead. Now that's a game that could use a remake to redo all the stuff they got wrong the first time.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They will just make it worse or change it into something completely different. I don't see the point, the game is perfect as is.

The HD mod is coming along nicely and provides enough of a visual upgrade over the vanilla version.

On the other hand games like RE3 and RE CV are really flawed and could benefit from a remake.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't need it. Aside from resolution bumps, I don't think anything from that era needs a remake yet. 5th gen and below.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there is anything worthwhile a remake can add to RE4.
Most modern third person shooters borrowed heavily from it so it really doesn't feel all that dated anyway.
I hope after Threemake they go to Code Veronica instead. Now that's a game that could use a remake to redo all the stuff they got wrong the first time.
As much shit as I give Code Veronica, I would actually be pretty interested in a remake. There's a lot I hate and a lot I like about it. Aside from Zero it's my least favourite classic RE, but it has its moments. The story was absolute magic. It had that so bad its good quality to it. Everything Steve did was pure gold. And hey, maybe they could make the bandersnatches a non complete garbage enemy this time.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I'd like to see RE3 remake first. I've never played Code Veronica so maybe that's a good candidate for a remake too.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
For those that don't have a gaming PC that can run it and the HD Project (in six to twelve months when it's finished) it would be useful, especially since most of the "remasters" of the game have been really lazy at best. On the other hand, if you can get past the low resolution textures, not a whole lot about the game actually needs changed at all, and it's just as playable now as it was in 2005.

After REmake 2, I wouldn't trust Capcom with it anyway, as far as remaining faithful to the original, and not screwing up the shooting mechanics. REmake 2 is fine for what it is, but it's really not what I was hoping for (although it was a step in the right direction compared to RE7).

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is perfectly balanced, from controls to level and enemy design, rework any of that and you will fall short, even with respect to RE2MAKE. RE4 does not need to be remade or reimagined in a gameplay sense, at all.

Graphically, sure, but the RE4 HD mod is a thing of wonders, and honestly vanilla looks just fine.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I think possibly the most interesting thing they could do with a RE4 remake is play up the horror angle. Absolutely don't compromise on the action or anything, but just amplify and accentuate the existing horror in addition to the action. Make Los Illuminados scarier, have Leon stumble upon a few dark and arcane rituals. Delve a bit deeper into the lore of the cult. There is plenty in RE4 that already creates an intense and unsettling vibe, such as the chainsaw enemies, Verdugo, Novistadores, Garrador, cabin fight with Luis, Regenerators, and more, and I see an opportunity there for them to go even further with that sort of thing, especially after the Resident Evil 2 remake (which is scarier than the original in every single way).