• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The first game? It certainly has nice looking animated sequences and adequate to nice looking enemies to fight, but the combat left much to be desired at times. It far too often got in the way of itself. It was either too clunky with the hitboxes of you and your pets bumping into each other, or it was broken with a dinosaur or two that would just wipe out most encounters with a single move. DQXI is better in most ways.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Having played DQ11, NnK, and NnK2 (in that order) last year I'd say both NnK games smoke DQ11. Had DQ11 ended around 25 hours in it woulda been amazing an shot well past those games. Sadly that wasn't the case. Making you replay basically the same game with only minor differences is super bad. Both NnK games kept up with the progressing into new places and new things to their ends. They also had real world maps instead of dungeon corridors like DQ11. Vastly superior quest/rewards systems and optional sidestuff too.

Really? First time I'm seeing anyone say this.

If you don't mind me being curious, did you watch any of the movies after it? Which one was your favorite?
It was the same for me. But no I haven't checked out anything Ghibli since playing NnK. Dun think the crossover appeals there for me.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played DQ11 yet, but I did beat Ni no Kuni about 2 weeks ago and I can safely admit I can't find myself recommending that game to anyone.

GenericJoe

Oct 27, 2017
Level 5 has yet to make a game with a good battle system. They always have top notch visuals and music and sometimes that's all you need, but the actual combat? Nah.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Level 5 has yet to make a game with a good battle system. They always have top notch visuals and music and sometimes that's all you need, but the actual combat? Nah.

I think White Knight Chronicles has a really nice battle system. I really loved playing the co-op missions with friends on WKC.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I've never played the first NNK, finished the second one but I was really disappointed. I really enjoyed DQ11 to the point to get the platinum, is it NNK better than it's sequel?

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
I liked Dark Cloud 2/Chronicle's battle system well enough. I wouldn't raise it as revolutionary or anything, but it got the job done with a couple nice unique twists. Although if you said they forced combat on you too often, I wouldn't argue.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Lucky you, OT creator. I played NNK recently after waiting for 10 years and the disappointment was crushing. How can a game so pretty be so shallow? The combat is dreadful. The story is a series of fetch-quests.

I swear Level 5 doesn't know how to do gameplay to save their lives. They are the ANTI-Platinumgames, as you can be sure that whatever it is that they make it will play poorly.

Good graphics though.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Well, on one side you have a very well crafted and balanced classic game with a likable cast and on the other side you have a game that tries to be interesting at best, with a terrible battle system involving the most idiotic IAs ever.

Do I need to name the games ?
NnK could have been good but Level 5 needs writers and battle designers.
I haven't played Ni no kuni, but it doesn't exactly say much. DQXI was awful.
Imagine a lot worse. You have Ni no Kuni.

hongcha

Oct 27, 2017
NNK is an incredible game. DQ11 is also a great game, but between the two NNK is better IMO. If pressed, I'd have to say I also like NNK2 more than DQ11. But this is sort of splitting hairs as all three games are excellent (and quite different from each other) and well worth your time.

Disclaimer: I played NNK on the PS3, NNK2 on the PS4, and DQ11 on the 3DS (I also have the PS4 ver, but I just really preferred the 3DS version so I haven't played beyond the first 6 hours of the PS4 version). I would love to buy NNK on the Switch and play through it again, but I've read the game crashes a lot so that's keeping me away. :(

Last edited:

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
It surprises me sometimes how little some people are affected by poor pacing. NNK went on a little too long, but was still charming and beautiful. DQXI is about 40 hours too long.

Dec 1, 2017
Dragon Quest combat really shines for low level playthroughs. You think you need to grind but if you avoid monsters you'll have a much better time.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NNK is a waste of the talent of all the artists involved and shows that not even Ghibli can elevate Level 5 to making a fun, lasting game

AustarusIV

Jan 8, 2019
Every now and then I think about possibly trying out NnK, only to forget about it afterwards.

TC's post hasn't made me any more interested than I was before, in fact it's the opposite. DQXI is a veritable classic and must-play for any JRPG fan, so posts like yours aren't doing me any favors. Did you really think you could get DQ fans who would potentially be interested in trying out this game by trashing a recent hit title of theirs?

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
The sheer hand holding in the early game of Ni No Kuni turned me off...I swear the tutorial portion was lasting 18 forevers

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
DQXI was amazing. I got bored quickly with Ni No Kuni, mainly due to the battle system. Never finished it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The post game grind for rare materials is insane. I'd love to get the platinum trophy but the alchemy trophy seems absurd. What was everyone's experience with it?

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love both games, but NNK's music and charm won me over more. It was beautiful and had that studio Ghibli vibe.

Also I still have my physical wizard's book.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think DQ11 overstays its welcome and the low quality PS4 soundtrack was pissing me off. That said, I thought it was an excellent ride regardless.

NNK1 I really enjoyed. I liked the atmosphere. But its very straightforward and the combat isn't good. The game is not too big though.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Hell no. I played NNK a month or so after my run through DQXIS and whilst I enjoyed the visuals, it is vastly inferior to DQXIS in every way (okay music is better in NNK, but not by much). The story in NNK starts okay but falls off a cliff after the first 10 or so hours, and the battling system is beyond tedious (not a fan of ARPGs, so I am biased there). It was also over really quickly, thankfully because it had worn out its welcome with me by the time I finished (I finished the game at ~30 hours), DQXI on the other hand I put 100 hours into and wanted more. NNK was a solid 7/10, DQXI is a 10/10 masterpiece.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Dragon Quest 11 would be 100% more enjoyable for me if I didn't have to hit X at the end of every line of voiced dialogue.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Both have a subpar battle system, serious QOL problems, a boring story and are too limited and rigid exploration wise.

At least Ni No Kuni doesnt go for as long as DQ...

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
I just completed NNK2. Never played the original. Shall I go for the remaster after playing NNK2? I liked the game, but it was kinda too long and some decisions made in development really left me wondering.

Well not really completed. Finished the story and most side quests. Couldn't bother to level my kingdom to lvl 4 and beat all the dreamer doors, tainted monsters and annoying side quests..

w00zey

Nov 23, 2018
As long as we are talking 1 I agree. Though it was way too easy. That said to me you are talking about marginally better. Other than a certain section in dx11 which I found abysmal and just wanted to end.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really like Ni no Kuni at first, but the gameplay kept getting worse and worse as the game progressed. The familiars just aren't anywhere near as interesting as Pokémon, DQ Monsters, or a SMT game, and the partner AI is game-ruining awful. I never finished it, which is a shame given how good the graphics & music are.

DQ11 is kind of boring on default mode, but when you add in draconian mods, it transforms into having some of the best turn-based gameplay in the whole genre. It's a fantastic game (and amazing Switch port) even if the music is forgettable.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just completed NNK2. Never played the original. Shall I go for the remaster after playing NNK2? I liked the game, but it was kinda too long and some decisions made in development really left me wondering.

Well not really completed. Finished the story and most side quests. Couldn't bother to level my kingdom to lvl 4 and beat all the dreamer doors, tainted monsters and annoying side quests..
Yeah, get the remake, it's really good.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I played NNK on PS3 but never finished it. One silly thing thatbre1lly annoyed me is that those creatures that are supposed to fight for you look so much smaller and weaker than the actual character you play. From what I saw after a quick google search, they don't ever really grow significantly, unlike pokemon you can literally ride on.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I love the idea of NNK. I love the visuals and the art and everything about the game.

I cant stand the combat. I've tried so much to play it, but I can only get so far as the fishing village before I cant take it anymore.