• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it feels like I'm still playing my ps4 because there are basically no PS5 games available. Only PS5 game I've gotten is Demons Souls and I feel like they were a little to faithful too the original. I wish they would have updated the AI and mechanics. Right now it's literally the PS3 version with prettier graphics. Everything else I've played have literally been all PS4 games.

Imagine the state of PS5 if it didnt have BC.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
For me I didn't get it a lot until the second time I really sat down and started playing Demon's Souls recently (played it a bit at launch, but wasn't feeling it).

The biggest thing for me is the immaculate texture quality. Things just looks so GOOD.

So many times in this last gen things like, clearly took shortcuts. It's so nice to have something look so absolutely immaculate while also running at a smooth 60 fps. It's so nice.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Early adopters paying the price of getting a console during a pandemic. I've seen lots of friends complaining about things that happen every generation.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I've been thinking a lot lately about the technological wall we seem to be hitting.

Sure, 4K at 60fps is great - and I expect it across the board this gen. BUT, I also know that fidelity / visuals are hitting a wall in terms of devs being tapped out. Games today look damn GOOD - not sure how much more we can push it.

And in terms of new, original and unique IP - it seems we're slowing down on that front these days as well. Too much risk and too littler promise for reward; especially with big publishers.
Nah man we can do much better even. Just won't be happening so fast when making crossgen games is still the norm. Higher frame rate is looking so much better visually also. There will be more to push for for a long time imo.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
The start of the PS4/xbone gen was crazy slow and this gen is looking like it'll be the same. Just entertaining myself with Destiny 2 until GOW/GT/Halo arrive.

Going to be a slow 2021/22, but I'm fine with that as last gen only really got going in 2016 imo.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting is for the past 5+ years my primary gaming diet has been $15-$30 indies that don't rely on cutting edge tech.

The unique and daring experiences they tend to offer compared to a more conservative, safe AAA space makes exciting "next-gen" (for lack of a better term) vibes a virtual constant experience from month to month, year to year.

I'm sure AAA will pick up the pace on new hardware as it always does when the dust settles post-launch. But if you view the landscape with a wider perspective, you might notice that fresh ideas are all around you whether you're on new hardware or old.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
🤷🏽‍♂️ I never normally buy at launch but am having a ball with my PS5. Haven't even bought any new games yet - just surviving on PS plus collection and the monthly titles. Loving it so far.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first generation were I've actually bought in day one instead of waiting for that one big game. It just feels like consoles have become more PC like in that regard and the quality of life improvements were worth it alone for me.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Even when there isn't a pandemic, new consoles are mostly uninteresting during their first year or so. I always wait.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This gen for me is about quality of life first and foremost. Little to no loading times, performance modes, graphics modes, more accessibility through certain services and better online/account infrastructure with seamless transitions between different versions on console/PC at best. I do have a Xbox Series X but will likely not be able to get a PS5 before late this year/next year. I do not want to miss those QOL features anymore.

Some older games have received very nice updates - you should check those out! Control with ray-tracing looks amazing, so does Gears 5. Ori in 120 fps plays incredible with the minimum latency controller on Xbox. The Auto HDR makes old games shine really nicely.

Also, small indie studios are now producing games that graphics-wise look far better than anything we've seen from indies.

As for games coming to the new consoles, this year will indeed be pretty dry. Sony's first year lineup has been getting thinner and Microsoft will also likely only start firing from their cylinders late this year and in 2022.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
And the cycle continues.

Don't buy a new console as an early adopter if you're expecting all the heavy hitters upfront.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I'm the opposite. I'm overwhelmed. There was nothing to play for months after the PS4 launched, but with the PS5 I'm playing tons of PS4 games i didn't get around to and they all run better than they would have.

This is a much better situation compared to launch droughts of the past.
Same, but on Xbox Series X. And I used to play on a One X. Games just run so much better, and loading is basically non-existent (Quick Resume is just the best). I'm having the time of my life clearing my backlog and playing incredible new releases like Gears 5 Hivebusters while the true next gen is revving up.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This year seems relatively standard for the start of a new generation.

I suspect the real disappointment will happen next year.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
Same, but on Xbox Series X. And I used to play on a One X. Games just run so much better, and loading is basically non-existent (Quick Resume is just the best). I'm having the time of my life clearing my backlog and playing incredible new releases like Gears 5 Hivebusters while the true next gen is revving up.

I'm playing games much more now because XSX quality of life stuff

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Crimson-XIII: "In my opinion, this is less barebones than the PS4 intro year 2013/2014."

Ive gotten every playstation but the PS3 launch was the one i remember well along with PS4 and PS5. I remember as I bought the PS3, I had Warhawk, but I was anticipating Socom Confrontation, MGS4, GTAIV, Assassins Creed 1, I was anticipating FFXIII and Versus XIII .. I didnt know what Uncharted was yet and didnt play until U2. ..
I recall the PS4 generation giving me KH3 and FFVersus XIII / XV hype. But for me, that was really it. I didnt care for infamous, I enjoyed Driveclub for the visuals but i didnt really care for racing games. it was only when Horizon, God of War, Spiderman, Shadow of the Colossus, FFXV, and all these titles started releasing and getting shown when I was getting EXTREMELY HYPED for games again.
Fast forward to 2020 and now. We know FFXVI is coming, FFVIIRemake is getting new content, Kingdom Hearts is on the way, Mass Effect and Dragon Age are on the way, Starfield is on the way, A GTA 6 reveal is somewhere on the horizon, as well as Horizon II , God of War Ragnarok, . .

This is the best anticipation has ever been for me personally. Regarding the lineup. I daily warzone, I got Demons Souls and 2 SpiderMan games (remastered as well), GoW an GoT both have 4k 60fps epicness. Days Gone is okay but not bad. not bad at allllll...... FFVIIRemake hype . we are getting Returnal, Deathloop, Ratchet and Clank, Resident Evil 8, Kena looks amazing... all of this is soon. Who cares if it isn't exclusive. It is the next gen version you will play.

Idk. I am happy, I cannot complain at all. The events we got in June, September and the other day for Sony were great for me. I am happy, i am thankful. We are getting everything we want in gaming. Give me FFVII-2, FFXVI and GTA VI and I am happy.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We're only 3 months in.. both Series X and PS5 have a better first year forecast than their respective predecessors did. Add backwards compatibility on top and I don't know what more anyone could reasonably expect, even if we weren't in a pandemic right now.

Last edited:

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Look at just some of the games we got from PlayStation in the year leading up to the PS5 launch:

Persona 5 Royale
The Last of Us 2
Dreams
Ghost of Tsushima
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Nioh 2

And many, many more giving us one of the best final years of a console ever before its successor comes out. Then we look at some of the launch games for the PS5:

Spider-Man Miles Morales
Demon's Souls
Astrobot
Sackboy

And many more games, giving us one of the strongest PlayStation console launches ever. The launch window would've been much more appealing if Cyberpunk hadn't shat the bed also. Then we have a gander at what they had planned for a 2021 release:

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War 2
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal

And many, many more. Covid obviously fucked up some plans there and things got pushed back, but those are unavoidable, especially since no one wants a repeat of what happened with Cyberpunk. PS gamers have had one helluva run this past year and more heavy hitters are on the horizon. It's not for lack of trying that we don't have quite as many games to play right now as we would have had in a world where Covid didn't happen. Also as with any new gen it'll take time for developers to fully leverage the power of the consoles so the games we'll be seeing in the next couple of years should far surpass what we're seeing right now. That's how it always is, and will continue to be since game dev is such a lengthy process.
GT7 is confirmed 2022 now but I completely agree.

Oct 25, 2017
like... are you new to console releases or smnthn OP?

like c'mon, we KNOW this is how it goes...

at least this time around [especially with Xbox], we're getting crazy back-compat with upgraded everything to make the transition less boring amirite?

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I'm playing games much more now because XSX quality of life stuff
Exactly. I do much more "pick up and play" and switching between a bunch of games.

I'm currently going through Jedi Fallen Order and I've seen the title screen exactly one time. It's soooo nice to continue exactly where I left of in seconds, without fail.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason I wait at least three years before jumping into a new generation. I still have a PS4 and Switch backlog.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hopefully! I'm excited to see how Ratchet and Clank, Horizon, and God of War turn out and think they will be good barometers for future games and probably be surpassed too. Even though I know Horizon is for sure cross gen I expect it to be impressive.

Agreed. Deathloop, Returnal and Ratchet are the ones I have my eye on at the moment. I'm quite certain we won't see Horizon 2 or Ragnarok until 2022 (or later).

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I know, but it was planned for this year.
Right on. I think a big reason people are not as impressed is that we have more access to what a game is going to be day 1 than we ever have before. If I didn't t see demon souls footage or hear about Astrobot controller impressions I probably would have been even more impressed than I was. I don't think it's possible to have a Mario 64 moment ever again. Closest thing was trying VR. And that was amazing because you can experience it by watching videos.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad I didn't even attempt to get one at launch, as I doubt it would be getting much use... plus I didn't know whether to go PS5 or XSX. I'm still happy to play the waiting game, and will now pick up an XSX at some point in the future. In the mean time, my old PC, PS4 and XB1 will do the job.

The main thing from this waiting - sadly - is PC is no longer a viable platform, as the cost has gone beyond all justification.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
I'm loving this generation launch! Still not completed Demon's souls but by far it's been a highlight for me (graphics are insane and 60FPS) and playing MK11 with my bro, Control and of course smoother performance on MW/Warzone. Not to mention the couple 100 ps4 games I have in my backlog. I'm set and patiently waiting for all those sweet next gen titles.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually okay with waiting (usually I'm an early adopter). The only titles I care about are Demon's Souls and Ratchet, there's not a whole lot else that really piques my interest at this stage.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Was pretty mindblown by Killzone Shadowfall myself, which actually felt next gen at the time by just looking at it.

Only game that kinda made me go "woah this is kinda next gen" visually so far this gen was Control tbh.
I disagree, people who have an idea of what a proper next-gen game looks like know that Control is not even in the same league.

People saying "it's always like that" . Well, early PS4 games looked phenomenal compared to PS3 games. Shadowfall, Driveclub and Second son looked much, much better than Tlou for example. PS5/XSX games look good, but so far it's more higher definition and better framerate. We still get clipping, we still get pop in, we still get average facial animations etc..
And you're still playing cross-gen and last-gen ports ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Switch became my favorite console with just its launch year releases and I've been playing since the Atari VCS. This generation has been outstanding, if only for that.

Hell, the PS5...loads PS4 games I play with my friends once or twice a week much faster!

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't this happen every gen?
I've learned during dreamcast era to keep expectations in check.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, it's kinda wack. 360 and the PS3 were such long in the tooth tech shackles that when the ps4 hit it was such a breath of fresh air. Them HQ textures were hitting.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
What do you expect when so many games are still cross-gen?

The true power of these machines won't be apparent for years.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Makes sense that you are underwhelmed op as it's been a very underwhelming start. There's not the big graphics jump that we had in the past and nothing released yet looks miles better than the last gen. Gameplay/graphics, it's just a continuation and not a jump.
And of course for console there are fewer games that look to be trying something different so there's that as well.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean not to be like "lol I'm smarter than you" (I make plenty of actually dumb decisions) but idk why anyone buys consoles within its first year of release

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast launch was like the one launch I remember being kind of amazing though?

[Aside from Xbox launching with Halo, that was also great]
Yeah I totally agree. It's one of my favorite consoles.
Dreamcast had one of the best year one lineups of all time, at least in the west.

Unfortunately, then it died lol

Launching over a year later in the west will do that for you. Dreamcast's initial launch library was TERRIBLE.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Honestly it feels like I'm still playing my ps4 because there are basically no PS5 games available. Only PS5 game I've gotten is Demons Souls and I feel like they were a little to faithful too the original. I wish they would have updated the AI and mechanics. Right now it's literally the PS3 version with prettier graphics. Everything else I've played have literally been all PS4 games.

Imagine the state of PS5 if it didnt have BC.

It would just be the PS4 launch. We still had multiple years of PS3 games coming and the PS4 had absolutely nothing interesting for over a year and with no backwards compatibility it was just a famine. I just played 360 and PS3 games the whole time.

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
Agree, I recently upgraded my OG XboxOne to a Series X, and it's been the less exciting generational change I experienced ever. Hopefully the upcoming PS5+PSVR2 combo will be a truly meaningful leap over my current gaming experience

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
True "next gen" hasn't even started. Closest thing we could point to is Last of Us part 2, Control, Dark Souls, and the Unreal 5 demo. A few more on the horizon like R&C and Kena, yet most studios will take a year or more to get their pipelines setup to take advantage of new hardware abilities. Patience....besides, most people can't even get their hands on these machines.