• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rivuz

Oct 27, 2017
I like the music, even the midi version, but i think there are too few tracks for such a huge game. It gets kinda boring and repetitive hearing always the same few tracks.

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at all the DQ music haters. XI is comparatively bland, but I think some of the tracks from other DQ games rival the best in the industry. I guess the classical style isn't for everyone.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
They should have let us switch to MIDI in the demo, for comparaison sake.
But like 2D mode, it's full game only.

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never liked music in any Dragon Quest game, midi or orchestrated, it doesnt matter. It really puts me off.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah OP I agree, this is a problem I have with the DQ7 remake too, in both there's an orchestrated soundtrack option that yes, technically sounds better but completely lacks the energy you'd expect from video game music and ends up feeling weak as a result. It really bothers me how the battle theme in DQ11 for example drops all percussions randomly at one point and feels like a completely different track in the orchestrated version, it's pretty jarring.

I guess it's what happens when they add live orchestra tracks that clearly weren't meant to play in a game, they aren't "gamey".

I'm currently playing through DQ7 3DS and I'm probably the only madman to deliberately not patch his game with the orchestrated soundtrack fix because of the same problem you describe. Here's the orchestrated version and here's the midi one, you tell me which has more energy and fits fighting better. I appreciate better sounding music and actual instruments as much as anyone, and these renditions are great for listening, but they don't suit the games at all, IMO.

DQ11 clearly has composition problems and misplaced music as well, but this is yet another issue for me. So frustrating too, because I absolutely adore the game.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
People prefer bland, airy orchestrated music to sharp MIDI music with a strong, polarizing melody.

To each their own, I suppose.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I disagree. The orchestrated music hit me in the feels straight away

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya, the orchestral is better sounding than the midi for sure, but that doesn't change that the tracks themselves are bad.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Dragon Quest music, regardless of format has always been kind of "meh" to me. That being said, I'd much rather have orchestrated "meh" than annoying midi "meh". I understand why some people love the midi stuff though, as I always have a nostalgic soft spot for the "BWWWWAAAAW" of the Sega Genesis sound chip even if it sounds dumb.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I really liked DQXI music, I've heard part of the soundtrack orchestrated and I actually prefer the midi versions in a few tracks.

That said the music is beautiful not matter what, can't wait to hear all the tracks orchestrated once I play the game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The music in Dragon Quest XI is simply mediocre and uninspired, some tracks being repeated ad nauseam makes it even seem worse than that. This is the first game ever in which I had to turn the music off after a point. The orchestral renditions doesn't improve things much.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Also,i just want to point out that the problem with the music in dq is not the fact that its midi, its the fact that its bad on itself. The compositions are bland, as it is the norm for the franchise with very few exceptions.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I'm gonna echo the sentiment that DQXI's music is already bad, it's just pushed into hilariously bad territory by the midi.

It was honestly hard to take that game seriously at times.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Whether you can change the music (And I'd like to know if you can too since I havent heard that) isn't really the point, I just kind of feel like the first rendition was the right choice after experiencing the two.
You can switch between Orchestra & MIDI in the full game.

As for me, Orchestra > MIDI. The melodies are already meh, but at least the orchestration makes it more tolerable.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Legitimate question: do you actually like this? Is this what people want in battle music?

(unrelated, but this track sounds like an orchestra that's being recorded through some rear exit door at the studio)
It's recorded to sound like you're sitting in a concert hall listening to an orchestra. It's lovely.
of course, it's subjective if it's "good" or not, but DQVIII definitely had a beautiful soundtrack compared to DQXI. The borrowed tracks really stand out.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The horrific noise that dq11 PS4 called music was a sustained assault on my ears and soul that almost single handedly ruined the game for me, especially after the masterpiece of dq8s ost.

So yeah I'll take the switch version over it. I'll take laying down in a pile of garbage over it.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest music is mediocre compared to most other big name JRPGs, but the MIDI music is just grating.

Oct 30, 2017

Nah man

(Also I think the switch version allows for the original versions? Could be wrong)

Wow. Old man Sugiyama's best work is definitely behind him. And I'm not talking about it being MIDI. The actual composition is so much worse than previous games. It's like he took a handful of arpeggios and decided that was enough-I'm struggling to find a melody in there.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Surprised at all the DQ music haters. XI is comparatively bland, but I think some of the tracks from other DQ games rival the best in the industry. I guess the classical style isn't for everyone.

This. I guess all those times I watched Fantasia as a kid really helps to appreciate DQ music.

The way I see it

I-III = Magical
V = Peak DQ
After that: Really hit or miss

Huh, I really thought you'd post the battle theme or something. I mean how about that epic boss theme (half way through this track)?

But seriously even a non battle note. Noble Requiem really makes the drama hit HARD in V

Yes, thomasjast this is legitimately great.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
That is pretty good. Don't get me wrong... I like DQ music, generally, but given a choice, I prefer MIDI to orchestrated all day, err day. [side note: I think PS1-era PCM/synth/samples are the high point of game music production. I think FF VIII and Parasite Eve are some damn fine sounding games.]
Oh sure, I can agree with that. I certainly wouldn't say the orchestra version of Man with a Machine Gun is better than the original. Uematsu certainly wasn't going for an orchestra sound with his original composition. I think Sugiyama does though (sad to say the bastard intentionally just goes for low quality synth to better sell his orchestra tickets)

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
This. I guess all those times I watched Fantasia as a kid really helps to appreciate DQ music.

The way I see it

I-III = Magical
V = Peak DQ
After that: Really hit or miss

Huh, I really thought you'd post the battle theme or something. I mean how about that epic boss theme (half way through this track)?

But seriously even a non battle note. Noble Requiem really makes the drama hit HARD in V

Yes, thomasjast this is legitimately great.

Noble Requiem is one of my favorites, too. The follow up, Saint, is so short, so sweet, so sad.

The sailing theme is one of the most epic themes in the series and is the very first one you hear in the game, I could listen to it for hours.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
People in here are really pretending that all DQ music is bad because Sugiyama is a terrible person huh.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love dq, far more than most and it's close to my heart but..... look xi has a weaker soundtrack. They reuse alot of classic songs but other than maybe the silly song the XI soundtrack is so forgettable I literally cant remember a song. That's impressive when you add the length of game and how repetitive the soundtrack is.

Games amazing otherwise, I'll defend it to death just damn that musician needs to retire

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Old man Sugiyama's best work is definitely behind him. And I'm not talking about it being MIDI. The actual composition is so much worse than previous games. It's like he took a handful of arpeggios and decided that was enough-I'm struggling to find a melody in there.

It basically sounds like a middling college student in a music composition class was asked to copy Sugiyama's musical style. But the student is Sugiyama himself.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
As someone who plays almost exclusively with headphones to avoid waking a sleeping baby, I couldn't disagree more. The synth tracks are grating as hell, with particular shout outs to the battle theme, overworld theme, and Heliodore theme.

I agree with everyone else that the soundtrack as a whole is mediocre at best, but the synth versions sound bargain basement. This from a game that's trying to be the standard-bearer for all JRPGs. No, fuck that, give me the actual instruments please.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I think there's two things that should be cleared up about the issues with DQ11's soundtrack:

1st, there are many songs from previous games picking up the slack in different areas, like the Hotto music being the same as from DQ3.

2nd, many of the songs made for DQ11 are simply just poorly composed, and have uncreative or repetitive instrumentation that cannot be fixed with an orchestral remaking.

I can only assume the first problem is intentional on the part of Sugiyama to some end outside of a lack of time or desire to create a full original soundtrack, but the second is a small part of why I'd rather he wasn't making more music for Dragon Quest, with his apprentice being given a shot at one being a good compromise.

Like, he's a bad person to a powerful and dangerous degree, and that a major reason why he needs to go, but these are honestly some of if not The weakest compositions he's made in his career, no matter your position on his actions, it can clearly be seen that he's devaluing the experience of these games with his music as of late.

His past music will always be beautiful to me, but he cannot be forgiven, and the sooner he can become a memory and stop hurting people in the now, the better.

JD_Lars

Oct 2, 2018
It will just be the Switch version, I think, unless Square Enix decides to sell that content for PS4 and PC later on.
First I'm hearing about that and I hope it's true. That field music in DQ VIII is one of my favorites of all time.

Edit: is that one of those changes that only happens if you're wearing the clothing set from the DQ8 hero?
DQXIS-Stream-Capture_06-12-19_010.jpg

Edit 2: Yes it is! DQ XI list of additions

Last edited: