• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just recently turned 30 as of June. This past week my knees have been giving me trouble. My job requires that im on my feet all day, and I'm frequently bending down to grab things and/or lifting somewhat heavy objects. I already own a decent pair of walking shoes but I could probably get better soles.
Anyways... Any advice would be extremely helpful.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Stretching and work out the muscles around the joints to be more rigid to help with support.

Also, potassium supplements (or food) seem to help immensely for me. Better by the next day.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i got some bad news...

real answer is, of course, to focus on whatever your company's Best Practices are (i worked in supply chain/warehouse for awhile and did the same kind of work, so i feel you) and then go two steps further and do even better. similarly, start stretching - especially when you first wake up - and giving yourself a breather throughout the day to stretch out your legs and knees here and there. lots of water, just in general. maybe take up light yoga. try not to gain any weight, if it helps (i know it sounds silly, but over the past year or so i had gained like, 30 pounds; my legs and knees started hurting more than they ever had previous to that, while doing much less intensive work).

basically, do what you can to mitigate aging, as well as you can. but also, like, temper your expectations. i see tons of old people in my line of work - some in their 60s who cant walk up the stairs to their room, but also a couple in their 80s who - just today - biked 30 miles in the heat to go golfing at a local resort. so, who knows.

Last edited:

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Take Glucosamine, get involved in some dynamic stretching activities, get at least 10k steps a day, eat less inflammatory foods.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Nothing, the creator or evolution or whatever you believe fucked us. We get 25 good years then shit breaks.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
My knees got pretty messed up after playing sports a lot as a child & using shitty equipment. My job has met standing for long hours as well & found that doing yoga a couple times a week as helped with my joints & muscles. I don't feel nearly the stress on my legs as I used & my knees don't hurt quite as bad. It's worked out pretty well for me. If you have the time, ever doing it for just about 20-25 mins a few times a week at home could help out.

real2

Jan 31, 2019
It's downhill from here (i'm 33).

As others have mentioned, not much you can do other than lifting (to strengthen your muscles) and to stretch. Welcome to the getting old club

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Working out does help, particular low impact activities that strengthen the bones and joints, like yoga and Pilates.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
a workplace review of your manual handling activities needs to take place

sounds like you're getting an RSI... repetitive strain injury

fill in a 'near miss' form, and ask to see an occupational health professional

your employer has a duty of care towards its employees

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1) Stop getting old
2) If you are overweight, you need to lose weight asap as that will have a major impact on your knees
3) Look into physical training that focuses on your legs/knees to get them stronger

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Taking a spoonful of cod liver oil every morning is VERY effective. Just started doing it recently and trust me, it makes a difference!

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the club. I get to listen to my knees crackle and ache everytime I go up/down stairs. Yay getting old.

Just trying to lose weight and take nsaids every so often.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just recently turned 30 as of June. This past week my knees have been giving me trouble. My job requires that im on my feet all day, and I'm frequently bending down to grab things and/or lifting somewhat heavy objects. I already own a decent pair of walking shoes but I could probably get better soles.
Anyways... Any advice would be extremely helpful.
Do you have to be on your feet all day?

Ask your boss to modify your tasks/environment

Oct 25, 2017
Start working out. I ruptured a disc in my back when I was 19/20 and the only thing that finally stopped the pain was lifting weights to strengthen my body.

ofc now i'm old and fat and years of playing sports mean my knees are also shot now so time to hit the gym again.

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
30 is old? I don't think your knees are giving out because of your age. You might just be overweight, have a recurring knee injury or don't exercise enough.

My advice is to take vitamins supplements everyday. Do research and see which ones helps joints and bones

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In addition to the standard advice of lose weight, regular exercise and stretching, you could try wearing knee compression sleeves at work.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I don't. I know I need to tho.

What's MSM

Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) Description

Organic source of sulfur, an important mineral for joint health.

What is Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)?

Methylsulfonylmethane, or MSM, is an organic source of sulfur, a mineral found naturally in plants and protein-rich foods such as meat, eggs and legumes. Sulfur is also present in every cell of the body. It's necessary for the production of collagen, the main structural component of cartilage and connective tissue.

What are the key benefits of Vitacost® Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)?
  • Supports joint health.
  • Sulfur contributes to the formation of connective tissue.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Start working out. Train your legs so that you're balanced in regards to strength with your hamstrings and quads and learn quality form to avoid putting your knees in compromised positions that are adding stress to the tendons and ligaments.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Just speaking from my own experience... Totally. Also my sister wasn't getting enough vitamin D according to her doctor and this also helps with that.

Just remember, while costing more, liquid is better and absorbs faster than the the pills.
I'll check out the oil then, thanks. I've got 6 bolts and a reconstructed shoulder ball joint...so my joints are not the best lol

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Not much besides good shoes, yoga/stretching and lose weight.

I am 42. Walking is fine.

Running? Nope!

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Knee braces and pads can help. I had knee pain for years and when I finally got it checked out, it was pain referred from my hip. I had a hip replacement two years ago. :(

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Other than exercise, proper stretching and getting good shoes there is not much you can do to stop your knees from slowly getting worse due to age. Welcome to the rest of us.