apocat

Oct 27, 2017
MIRACLE MILE
miraclemile01.jpg

Don't read up anything about this movie and go into it blind. I can guarantee you'll have a blast.

Came into the thread to post it, but you saved me the effort.

I agree that this is best seen without knowing anything about it beforehand.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Sphere and then tell me that I'm the only person that actually likes that movie.

Spheremovieposter.jpg

bryehn

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa
I was born in '77, so this shit's my wheelhouse. Tons of great stuff in here. Appreciate the Ruthless People nods. Another (kinda) good Midler one from that era is Down and Out in Beverly Hills with Richard Dreyfuss

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Only the Strong
The genre where new teacher gets job at a tough high school and has a breakthrough with the kids. Featuring capoeira

60033120.jpg
Speaking of the 90's and Mark Dacascos, he was one of the leads in the superior of the Drive's. A buddy action-comedy that predates Rush Hour and is superior to that as well. Just a fun-ass, genuine and charming martial artsy good time.
8a78284e6880d1032ea6028376485b5aee6e7c2e.gifv

You thought it was just a joke from Community, but no, it is is also a joke from Drive.

Since someone already mentioned To Live And Die In LA, here's another with Willem Dafoe:

Streets Of Fire. Not that great of a movie, but it sure is something. Aesthetic alone is worth it.

Heck yes. Streets of Fire is fire. Whether it's a Good Movie™ is irrelevant.
I'll see your offering and raise you...

Drive (1997)
A man with a prototype combat enhancer in his chest, and an innocent cystander, team up for an OTT martial arts buddy adventure with some really fun fight sequences.
I didn't expect to see this recommended twice in any thread ever. Did you also randomly pick up a rental VHS at a fleamarket in the late 90's?
Possibly the only cult classic thing I got in on before it was cool. Assuming Drive qualifies as that. It should.

Last edited:

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Running On Empty - A family on the run from the FBI deal with their talented son excelling at school. (It's about more than that, but I'm rying not to spoil it.

Raise The Red Lantern - Gong Li stars, Zhang Yimou directs. What else do you need?

The Ice Storm - Amazing Ang Lee movie.

Above The Law / Righting Wrongs - NOT the Steven Seagal movie. Yuen Biao plays a prosecutor who takes the law into his own hands and Cynthia Rothrock plays the cop who is out to arrest him. Really underrated martial arts/crime movie.

oh wow. I've never seen Righting Wrongs, and i didn't realize Corey Yuen directed the awful film no retreat no surrender. the ghost of Bruce Lee training the main actor, and Jean Claude van damme as a villain. That film is mental yet charming.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 'Burbs (1989)

Directed by Joe Dante (Gremlins), it's a horror-flavored comedy about an overstressed everyman portrayed by Tom Hanks (every everyman ever) who decides to spend his much-needed vacation doing nothing but being lazy at home, who ends up suspecting that his odd new foreign neighbors are serial killers. Guest starring Carrie Fisher (Star Wars) as his sensible wife, and Corey Feldman (80's child actor) as an uninvolved teenager who believes that people-watching can be more fun than any TV.

mZZMHap.jpg

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The 'Burbs (1989)

Directed by Joe Dante (Gremlins), it's a horror-flavored comedy about an overstressed everyman portrayed by Tom Hanks (every everyman ever) who decides to spend his much-needed vacation doing nothing but being lazy at home, who ends up suspecting that his odd new foreign neighbors are serial killers. Guest starring Carrie Fisher (Star Wars) as his sensible wife, and Corey Feldman (80's child actor) as an uninvolved teenager who believes that people-watching can be more fun than any TV.

mZZMHap.jpg
Oh God I say so many quotes from this movie to this day

"It came with the frame" topping them all

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
If you have any love for 80/90s creature features, especially ones on a ship, Deep Rising is a personal favorite of mine that I find most people have never seen or forgot exists. It's not a great movie, but it's fun imo. It scratches an itch for entertainment that no longer exists.

Dupy

Oct 31, 2017
I just rewatched Major League the other day and it's still great. Cute love story core with some classic "we're getting better" montages. Worth it for Bob Uecker alone.

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of 1987 and vampires, Near Dark has this low-key, compelling noiry vibe to it that's pretty distinct. And also Bill Paxton.
Bill-Paxton-in-Near-Dark.jpg

Speaking of 1987 and vampires, The Monster Squad is...I dunno, haven't watched in like 20 years, but it was cool when I was 12? I intermittently check if it's available anywhere. Does Wolfman's got nards still? Shane Black wrote this and Lethal Weapon in the same year he was in Predator. What a year for that guy. Where the hell did he come from all of a sudden? The same dimensional void that dumped out all these dank 1987's vampire movies?
monster-squad-1987-wolfman-has-nards-hd-review.jpg
I think Monster Squad still holds up. There are a couple unfortunate f-slurs that is disappointing but the story is still fun and the Wolfman does indeed have nards. And is played by Uncle Rico!

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
How about the classic Bruce Willis action/adventure movie where he's spouting quips and fleeing exploding buildings?

That's right, I'm talking about Hudson Hawk:

p13234_p_v10_ad.jpg

It never got a lot of love, but I'm in the "so bad it's good" camp when it comes to this movie.
- Shoehorned musical numbers with explosions? Check.
- Ridiculous plots involving historical figures? Check.
- Bruce Willis from back when you can tell he was trying, and not just phoning it in? Check.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Quick Change. A comedy starring Bill Murray & Geena Davis about a group of bank robbers who run into one mishap after another trying to make their escape with their stolen money.

Oct 27, 2017
Body_Double_poster.jpg

Body_heat_ver1.jpg

A steamy double feature of unrepentant horniness, thrilling twists and turns, and incredible music. Good old fashioned erotic thrillers, gotta love em.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Body_Double_poster.jpg

Body_heat_ver1.jpg

A steamy double feature of unrepentant horniness, thrilling twists and turns, and incredible music. Good old fashioned erotic thrillers, gotta love em.
Body Heat is really good, I was gonna mention it but I got lazy and it's been a while since I saw it. But I definitely second this rec.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
294.jpg

The Frighteners (1996) A fun horror/comedy by Peter Jackson starring Michael J. Fox as a con man that can communicate with the dead.

I've seen maybe a third of this on a hotel telly while on holiday, then we went off to do something else and I've never seen the end, but I really liked what I saw. Must chase it up sometime.
It did help with the premise that I could very quickly go "Ah, Rentaghost!".

My nominee: The *other* big 90's hacking movie... and the better one.

VyYDYHZ.jpg

JUST LOOK AT THAT CAST.

The 'Burbs (1989)

mZZMHap.jpg
Seconded, it's not really heralded as much as many others, but it's a good movie.

How about the classic Bruce Willis action/adventure movie where he's spouting quips and fleeing exploding buildings?

That's right, I'm talking about Hudson Hawk:

p13234_p_v10_ad.jpg

It never got a lot of love, but I'm in the "so bad it's good" camp when it comes to this movie.
- Shoehorned musical numbers with explosions? Check.
- Ridiculous plots involving historical figures? Check.
- Bruce Willis from back when you can tell he was trying, and not just phoning it in? Check.

It's much-maligned, but yeah, I'm genuinely fond of this one too.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Unironically recommending, Nemesis, Virus, Screamers, and Cyborg.

R rated future stuff with cyborgs and body horror are pretty much non existent nowadays.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

- YouTube

- YouTube

Ronabo

Oct 26, 2017
OHIO

- YouTube

nilbog

Movie Aficionado
Oct 25, 2017
Under the Silver Lake
The Vanishing - This is a fucked up movie that sticks with you, about a woman who vanishes at a gas station and her boyfriend's obsession with finding her.

vanishing_1993_original_film_art_5000x.jpg

Brainscan - This one's about a video game where real people die. Watch it for the 90's nostalgia alone.

mNNJ3bFfthv651n3eOZlM68w1KO.jpg

Virgin Suicides - An awkward watch, but with great music and cinematography.

Virgin_Suicides_1999_original_film_art_spo_5000x.jpg

Strange Days - One of the most underrated movies of the 1990's. Obsession, desire, betrayal, corruption, racism, depravity, voyeurism, addiction, technology, revolution, this movie did it all. It's a sci-fi masterpiece with an intricate plot and vivid characters.

Ep2geieXIAAjoRR.jpeg

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

- YouTube

Ronabo

Oct 26, 2017
OHIO

- YouTube

Jan 4, 2018
FLASH GORDON (1980)
flash-gordon-1980-fikm-movie-reviews-4k-collectors-edition.jpg

If you like cult classic Sci-fi movies with lots of obvious miniatures and matte painting backdrops then you should check out Flash Gordon (1980). It's fun and campy in the best way possible. Definitely the type of movie you at first think you like only ironically until you realize you've seen it half a dozen times already and it's actually legitimately awesome. Also had a great cast including Max von Sydow, Topol, Brian Blessed, and a young/pre-Bond Timothy Dalton. Also, it will be good prep since Taika Waititi is writing and directing a new Flash Gordon movie, and the 1980 version is one of his all times favorites (and was a large inspiration for Thor Ragnarok). On an underappreciated old sci-fi kick after seeing Dune but want something more jolly and adventurous? Then Flash Gordon is a perfect choice.

Also, I'm writing this as a separate paragraph because I cannot overstate how good the soundtrack (created by Queen) is. Like, one of the all-time greats, truly. The theme song will be stuck in your head for life. Even if you have no interest in the movie, check out the music (but you should also watch the movie).

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990)
thumb_478312F4-2C77-4A94-838B-80D93A0293BE.jpg

A remake (of one of the most well-known horror movies of all time), which I think is actually better than the original. It's also directed by Tom Savini, one of the all-time great makeup/monster artists. One of the things I like most about it is the scope and scale. It's small and intimate but still manages to be scary. And speaking of the horror aspect, it's not really overly violent, and it's more about creating a spooky mood and atmosphere than just a lot of jump scare and blood/guts.

CLUE (1985)
UPwaekKdBzVdx6lNebrbpN0klDnhKQzcCDDpvTa5vLGf7JK8C-_fTKYq5FSCYOuKWl_CiuXiNpte_K9UOY8n2knlrB1kAjY0EtQBl8VnesPVpEzwe39pwA

I feel like the popularity of Clue (1985) has risen quite a bit over the past decade, but I still think it has cult status. The idea of a movie based on a board game sounds awful, but it is a legitimately funny movie and a great time, especially with the likes of Tim Curry giving a fantastic performance. Spooky vibes, but not a scary movie. It's one of those movies that in my opinion just exudes nostalgia for the time it came from, even if you don't really have any in the first place for it. Basically, it's a perfect chilly Fall Friday/Saturday pizza night cozy movie. There may also be a few one-liners or gags you're familiar with but weren't aware they came from Clue.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
David Lynch's The Straight Story is a great film that never seems to get mentioned enough. It's the tale of an elderly man who travels across America on a lawnmower to see his estranged brother before it's too late. Very enjoyable film that's both funny and moving.

Do you like horror? The 80s remake of The Blob is super underrated, it's up there with the Thing and The Fly imo.

vbqjnq.gif
Yeah, this is a terrific horror film. Wonderfully gruesome practical effects and you're never quite sure the first time you watch it who will live and who won't.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
The Legend of Billie Jean is one of my favorite forgotten 80's movies. Fair is fair!

Last edited:

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
Unironically recommending, Nemesis, Virus, Screamers, and Cyborg.

R rated future stuff with cyborgs and body horror are pretty much non existent nowadays.

- YouTube

- YouTube

- YouTube

- YouTube

Add Hardware to that list too

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I like Arnold movies usually, but Running Man is almost nothing like the short novel it's based on, and the novel is far superior.
Agreed, the OG story is a Stephen king novel and much more serious in tone. You def can't go in expecting a 1:1 adaptation.

Doesn't stop this film from being one of the most enjoyable action movies from the 80s imo but to each their own.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Split Second

It is not high art, but it is Rutger Hauer as a cop in post-global warming London taking on the Devil with a full-auto shotgun.

Makes a great double-feature with I Come In Peace / Dark Angel, where Dolph Lundgren hunts down an alien drug dealer sucking the adrenaline from humans in Houston. Just super-comfy early 90's sci-fi action vibes all around.

May 9, 2018
The Ninth Gate
Yes, it's both a Roman Polanski movie and a Johnny Depp movie. I suck.
Based on the novel The Club Dumas, Dean Corso, a rare book dealer, is hired to find the last two copies of a text that holds the key to summoning the devil and subsequently finds himself at the heart of paranormal events.

Frank Langella is excellent in it.

I feel like the first half is way better than the second half IMO

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
MV5BYzFjNzIxMmEtMzY5NS00YTgzLTkwYWEtN2FjMmY0NmNkZWY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

John Travolta and Nicholas Cage playing themselves playing each other playing themselves complete with godly John Woo action.

Too bad Danny Masterson's is in it briefly in a scene where...yeah, if you've seen it and are aware of what he did, you'll know.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Red Rock West (1993)
Nicholas Cage is a drifter who is mistaken for a hitman and things spiral out of control. It's a fun, snappy neo-noir that sees Cage uncharacteristically toned down, but still gives a charismatic performance.

the final sequence of events in this is *chefs kiss*

it almost lost me but it was so worth the wait

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Total Recall
Conan The Barbarian
Fright Night
Stand By Me
Brazil
Police Story

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
The Japanese film Cure (1997) is an enigmatic crime thriller with a supernatural slant. A series of gruesome murders are committed by disparate people who carve an 'X' into their victims' chests but have no recollection of the act. A young man Mamiya is suspected of being the cause of it and is taken into custody although how or why he's doing it is unclear. It's a gripping story that often instils a sense of unease in the viewer. It most obviously recalls the likes of Se7en or Silence of the Lambs but it also reminds me of Death Note, especially the dynamic between Mamiya and Detective Takabe.

www.imdb.com

Cure (1997) ⭐ 7.5 | Crime, Horror, Mystery

1h 51m | Not Rated

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
The 'Burbs (1989)

mZZMHap.jpg
this is it

this this
this