• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I was watching some YouTube video's tonight and came across the intro of SMT DS: Soul Hackers for 3DS and immediately wanted to play that game. Instead I searched for more intro's that always exited me and made me want to play said game. I think a good intro is like the first track on an album (hi Angel of Death/Battery/Smells Like Teen Spirit etc.), in that it introduces you to the awesomeness ahead. Here is the intro for Soul Hackers:

I then continues with Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne:

After that I watched Final Fantasy XI:

Then I remembered my love for LAst Ninja and the epic opening of III:

And so forth. I feel a good opening can really set the mood and tone for the rest of the game. What are your all time favourite opening movies that make you want to play the game after seeing the opening?

OP
OP
7threst

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Only 4 pieces of media are allowed unfortantely, but this one was important for me to, I love it:

Shadow of the Beast II:

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Dissidia 012's is dope and that music will always stay in my mind

I really love the Kingdom Hearts opening movies too. But my favourite goes to Dream Drop Distance, retelling the story of the series to the orchestral version of Hikari.

It saddens me that I don't feel like 3's opening didn't live up to the rest of the series. Maybe that's because they blew their huge recap style on 3D? I'm not sure.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WoW Lich King . mp4

Really, half the WoW xpac videos are in the top echelon.

Oct 28, 2017
The answer for me will always be FF VIII

So damn hype

The music and that little face slice, my cousin and I would just watch this over and over as kids

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can Utada top Hikari and how can Nomura top previous and future KH openings? The answer is:

Soul Edge. A childhood banger.

One of the GOATs:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of the series, nothing has made me hyped quite like the KH3 intro before the title screen. Regardless of my thoughts on the game itself, the intro is fucking flawless. The music, the scenes they choose, they way it's intercut with the chess match. It's also way better than the one at the start of the game.

Perfection

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
All I can think of watching the OP vid:

tenor.gif

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a fan of the series, nothing has made me hyped quite like the KH3 intro before the title screen. Regardless of my thoughts on the game itself, the intro is fucking flawless. The music, the scenes they choose, they way it's intercut with the chess match. It's also way better than the one at the start of the game.

Perfection

source.gif

Made me tear up the 1st time I saw it.

My vote goes to KH2's opening, just for nostalgia alone. Loved it, remember watching a ton of it when I was younger.

Love the quote at the beginning and the mood it sets.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if these really count, but I found the promotional cinematics for The Old Republic to be incredible:

In the end I never really gelled with the game, but those cinematics really captured everything I've ever wanted from Star Wars.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Wrath of the Lich King had one of the best cinematics ever done. In fact, I believe Blizzard hasn't made something better than this one.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Long before I actually starting playing FFXIV, I remember watching this and thinking it was the coolest shit ever

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
One intro that always sticks in my mind was Star Trek TNG A Final Unity,

And more recently, the intro to Dragonball Z Kakarot is utterly epic and how can you not want to play after watching it?

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give you two, OP.

The first is a goddamn short film in itself, it blew my mind as a kid and you can see all the sci-fi references in it. The devs just didn't give a fuck, threw everything in that intro. It starts a bit slow but it's well worth the watch! (also an incredible game and soundtrack, ckeck it out!)

The second, well, I think it needs to introduction, just click play.

Still the definition of epic

You. I like you.

OP
OP
7threst

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I'll give you two, OP.

The first is a goddamn short film in itself, it blew my mind as a kid and you can see all the sci-fi references in it. The devs just didn't give a fuck, threw everything in that intro. It starts a bit slow but it's well worth the watch! (also an incredible game and soundtrack, ckeck it out!)

Damn, this looks (and sounds!) insane, love the general MIDI :)

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK

I'm not sure if it's my favourite, but everytime I see White Glint in Armored Core for Answer, the giant robot freak inside me is awakened.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still love KH 1 after all these years.
There is a real sense of "wth is going on"and it really wants you to figure it out.

Too bad it becomes a hot mess in the sequels but in the first game the mystery was very welcome.

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So here's some personal favourites

I love how the og DMC3 opening showcased the styles

And lastly, a personal personal favourite (CW: Crude lady yelling crude things right at the start ;)
Also this Opening has some Major spoilers for the game if anyone's interested.)

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Crysis 1 intro

Especially if you saw this back in 2007 since it looked better than anything else out there

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is another one I really like

Last edited:

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
How can Utada top Hikari and how can Nomura top previous and future KH openings? The answer is:

As someone who in the build up to 3 only cared about Aqua and the BBS squad (and Roxas) this opening had me BAWLING. I was blubbering to my kids about how I HAD to save Aqua since she gave it all to save her friends.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Assassin's Creed: Revelations. Kind of relies on you having an existing attachment to Ezio and Altaïr though.

(The video says it's the E3 trailer, but it isn't-- the E3 version had a song playing over it, while this has the dialogue that's actually used in the game)