• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As of this Saturday I've earned the first belt, or rather cord, of my group, and thus consider myself "officially" inducted into the club of capoeira. I would've been at the congratulatory barbecue but my body crashed for three hours, so I figured I'd hang with you all instead.

As a primer: Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian martial art developed by both native and African slaves in the 1500s. It mixes elements of traditional African dance with African and local martial arts into a kinetic, unpredictable style that favors dodges (esquivas) for blocking, puts the practitioner into position to dodge and strike simultaneously, and uses the constant momentum and rotations to fuel powerful strikes. You've no doubt seen it if you know Eddy Gordo of Tekken, Elena from Street Fighter, or even Hitmontop from Pokemon (its idle back and forth animation is the ginga, or "swing," the foundational movement of the art.)

The art is played in a ring of people called a roda ("ho-da") and set to live music led by the Mestre (master) or other high-ranking capoeirista. The music sets the speed and game type, allows the Mestre to control the actions of the players, and reinforces folkloric, religious, and historical traditions and emotional bonds through the use of songs, all of which are in a call-and-response style.

During the 1800s after abolition was achieved in Brazil, the art was prohibited due to its effective use in crime for newly freed slaves who were denied job and living prospects in favor of European immigrants, turning capoeiristas into outlaws. The development of the art during this era is a fever dream soup of countless branching styles and exaggerated, almost anime-esque acts of cunning and displays of skill, i.e., malandragem. It is common to hear of blades being used during this time, even within the instruments themselves.

It was not until Mestre Bimba forged the first school in capoeira and set strict standards for his Regional ("hey-jo-nal") style in the late 1930s that capoeira became to be seen not as a tool of black deviousness, but as a cultural art worth persevering and celebrating. Prohibition was lifted in 1940, and now the art is practiced worldwide, with some moves partially being incorporated into UFC.

I myself practice the contemporary style, which is a modern mix of Bimba's regional style and the competing Angola style, a slow-paced but deadly game that starts near the ground. We learn to play both low and high and are completely free to incorporate those famous acrobatics (floreios) into our game.

So that's capoeira in a nutshell. You're free to ask me specifically about moves, roda stories, training regimens and drills, the music, terms, and anything to do with the art. If you also practice capoeira or know of it, share your stories and knowledge too. General Brazilian input is also encouraged because my Portuguese is sorely lacking. Eu falo palavras pequenas. Memes and jokes are welcome. So let's have some fun in here!

Last edited:

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
How many times have you told people you are Capoeirista and then they asked which Starbucks you work at ?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Don't have any questions really, but I wanted to say that Capoeria is my favorite martial art and I've been in love with it since I saw the movie Only the Strong when I was 14.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
How many times have you told people you are Capoeirista and they said "oh cool!" but deep down you know they have no idea what that is and are scared to ask?

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Eddy and Christie Gordo got me into the style. I really admire how different it is. The flow of movements would completely throw off a more traditional fighter.

As for my questions, what would you say was the most difficult aspect of your training so far? How well have you done fighting against other practitioners?

Congrats!

Oct 27, 2017
Don't have any questions really, but I wanted to say that Capoeria is my favorite martial art and I've been in love with it since I saw the movie Only the Strong when I was 14.

A mirror image of my experience here.

Love Capoeria and even dabbled in it in my youth. Wish I would have stuck with it. Was super in shape from the training.

OP
OP
Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How many times have you told people you are Capoeirista and then they asked which Starbucks you work at ?
How many times have you told people you are Capoeirista and they said "oh cool!" but deep down you know they have no idea what that is and are scared to ask?

Lol I would actually say about 50% of the time it comes up in conversation people know what it is actually, either as a legitimate art or "that Eddy Gordo shit!"

Is Only the Strong accurate.
Considering all my friends tell me not to watch it, I'd say it might be, but the film is trash so who really cares eh? I was recommended Besouro today; gonna watch it!

When do you learn the Touch of Death?
Be more specific: the actual Touch of Death or just the accidental bullshit I've done that's inadvertently put my Mestre down? 👀

Ay, another fan. You should try and find a group if you're not already active. Basic sessions alone are good workouts. Do like I did and jump into it immediately from a sedentary life style. You'll feel great that next morning...... Trust me.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the quick run down on the history of this martial art. I know almost nothing about it except for the basics and the obvious pop culture references (Tekken, Zoolander, etc.) I've always wondered about the practicality of it in a street fight, how do you feel about your ability to defend yourself?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I throw you off your rhythm by moving slightly out of sync would I defeat you?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
1. For how long have you been at it?

2. Are there any specific physical requirements?

3. Why did you choose this form of martial arts over the others?

4. What are some unexpected lessons you learned during your training?

OP
OP
Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
what cord do you learn juggle combos at
In my group, that'd probably be blue cord, which is Professor, the step below Mestre.

As for my questions, what would you say was the most difficult aspect of your training so far? How well have you done fighting against other practitioners?
For me personally, the most difficult thing has been building the stamina to last as long as I'd like. What gets me is not the continuous movement because I can drill all day, but the sudden bursts of power needed to suddenly pull off things like aus (cartwheels) or queda de rins (similar to a baby freeze in hip-hop.) I've had severe bouts of self-doubt when I run out of steam before I'd like. It has developed over time just from going to class regularly, but not as fast as I like. I'm thinking of incorporating running into my routine to up my cardio and stamina.

As for how well I've done against other practitioners, it's hard to say! I'm only first cord, and most of my challengers are at minimum two levels above me. People say I'm good for my level, and indeed I can sneak in the occasional balance breaker or meia lua de compasso (the signature kick of the art), but I have a long way to go before I feel happy with my performance and flow.

The actual Touch of Death.

Also, are you allowed to sweep the leg?
Ah. The actual Touch of Death is reserved only for old Brazilian Mestres. Every now and again they fake it with an eye poke. 👀

And you actually can! Leg sweeps are called rasteiras (ha-stay-as) and are highly encouraged. They are an efficient way to take down lower level scrubs, or to force a reset on higher level players trying to get in a kick. Subsequently we learn counters to rasteiras, which mostly consist of developing the reflexes to step out of the way without losing the beat.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! What's the name of that move that looks like a cross between a cartwheel and a bboy swipe? My friend told me it's a capoeira move.

It's the move at 2:55 here:

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So do you actually spar an opponent with it, or is it more of a routine you do with a partner?

Oct 28, 2017
Ah. The actual Touch of Death is reserved only for old Brazilian Mestres. Every now and again they fake it with an eye poke. 👀

And you actually can! Leg sweeps are called rasteiras (ha-stay-as) and are highly encouraged. They are an efficient way to take down lower level scrubs, or to force a reset on higher level players trying to get in a kick. Subsequently we learn counters to rasteiras, which mostly consist of developing the reflexes to step out of the way without losing the beat.

That sounds cool. Thanks for sharing.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
You're in a perfect environment. The music's good, you're focused, you have everything you need to beat your opponent. The drummers suddenly do whatever the hell they want or someone suddenly blasts 90s pop music. Does that actually start making you perform worse or is there no impact at all?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
How in hell do people not know what capoeira is. I'd love to photograph an exhibition session or something.

OP
OP
Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How do you earn the red scrunchy?
You've gotta kill a Mestre in the roda. Have fun with that.

Panna na way...panna na way pana
Oh sim, sim, sim. Oh não, não, não....

Thanks for the quick run down on the history of this martial art. I know almost nothing about it except for the basics and the obvious pop culture references (Tekken, Zoolander, etc.) I've always wondered about the practicality of it in a street fight, how do you feel about your ability to defend yourself?
It has definitely made me more confident and aware of my surroundings. I imagine I wouldn't use any floreios or anything, but resort to the basic kicks and a hip takedown as fast as possible.

If I throw you off your rhythm by moving slightly out of sync would I defeat you?
That's my secret. I'm always off beat.
1. For how long have you been at it?

2. Are there any specific physical requirements?

3. Why did you choose this form of martial arts over the others?

4. What are some unexpected lessons you learned during your training?
1. Since January, so for nine months.

2. Just a healthy heart and a drive to learn. I've seen legless people play the game:

3. I'd recently found myself falling down a rabbit hole of learning about and consuming Brazilian culture since I really love Lucio from Overwatch. Some online Brazilian friends introduced me to the art, and I was flabbergasted to learn that black people had actually invented a martial art. That was really the hook for me- not the practicality, or how successful it was in UFC, or anything else- but that there's this piece of black history that is unmistakably ours. There was also the fact that, well, I needed more exercise, and I might as well try something that wouldn't bore me like gym repetitions or walks/runs do. So I took a chance with a local school and have been hooked ever since.

4. I think the most surprising thing is that capoeira is very familial and community-based. Your Mestre and the other students are not people you simply meet in the gym for a few times a week before you head off; they become your second family. I imagine it's both a result of its historical origins and the relatively small amount of practitioners. Everyone knows everyone, everyone wants to see each other grow (which requires you not break a bone or anything in the roda), and when graduation happens, we all get together from across the country for workshops and hours-long dinners. We host each other at our houses as well. It's not just an exercise routine, but a lifestyle, and the amount of love to be experienced in this art is incalculable. The bonds I've forged are going to ensure I never leave so long as my health allows it, and even then no reason I can't simply play pandeiro in the corner if it's a health risk for me to play anymore!

Is it an insult or honor to the art for Eddie to be the noob spam fighter in Tekken 3?
Look, the fact that he's even in the game is a blessing. We take what we can get. xD