Status
Not open for further replies.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
lol, lmao even at those scores. I'll admit I'm a big Xbox fan girl but those scores should be flipped, PS5's got a much better library thus far for most people's tastes. Series S/X has Flight Simulator and Starfield for exclusives, everything else is on Xbox One (other than Redfall…)

I mean, if you've got a PS4 there arguably isn't really much reason to upgrade to a PS5 yet, most of the biggest games are still cross gen. The exceptions being a remake of a PS3 game, a remaster of a remaster of a PS3 game, a timed exclusive third party game, Returnal and Spider-Man 2. It's more than Xbox sure, but not really by all that much.

I will not stand for this Astro and Rivet erasure! On a serious note though, 3 GOTY contenders at the Game Awards are not available to PS4 players in the PlayStation ecosystem. Alan Wake 2, Baldur's Gate 3 and Spider-Man 2 are next gen only. I think if GTA 6 is next gen only that will be the big catalyst for people to upgrade.

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
kinda suprised at xbox. besides pentiment and hifi rush every one of their major games seems to have a sour post launch reception

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Gotta give that boy from Japan a grade, too. Shouldn't let the kids from California and Washington be all the talk.

I know they're billing at as "next gen" thing, but still.

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
I know this is bait for console warring but I've used my PS5 a lot. Over 80 hours on a single FFXIV playthrough. Over 120 in Baldurs Gate. I've not even got round to playing SM2.

Even though I didn't stick around long for Starfield and Forza recently I've found myself playing F1 Manager 23 loads on Gamepass. Might not be exclusive but it's something I can't experience on PS sub just because it dropped on GP and not PS Plus.

I don't think anyone at IGN likes games to be honest unless you can only experience a dozen triple A's on a single platform regardless of quality.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
The PS5 exclusives this year for me have been FFXVI and SM2. I have only played FFXVI so far and think it is impressive overall, in inspite of having many issues.

Gamepass on PC...I've only really played Starfield this year...and couldn't get that far. I just find it boring like pretty much all Bethesda games that weren't Skyrim.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't own an Xbox but it wins for me because of Gamepass Ultimate which I do use on PC and very occasionally my cell phone... I only turned on my PS5 for FF16 and Spider-man 2, and I won't be renewing PS+ due to the crazy price hike and the fact that I only used it for Cloud Saves this year.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
This is still a nonsense argument. It makes no sense to give any scores at all if this is your starting point.
Uhh, literally yes? Ik you meant this as a gotcha, but I do think it makes no sense to give scores. They're almost identical boxes, and It boils down to what you think of a few handful of games.

Legend_Knight98

alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2023
lol, lmao even at those scores. I'll admit I'm a big Xbox fan girl but those scores should be flipped, PS5's got a much better library thus far for most people's tastes. Series S/X has Flight Simulator and Starfield for exclusives, everything else is on Xbox One (other than Redfall…)

Their rating is only for this year.
If it was for the whole generation then I would have agreed with you.

BountyHunter

Apr 13, 2023
I don't own an Xbox but it wins for me because of Gamepass Ultimate which I do use on PC and very occasionally my cell phone... I only turned on my PS5 for FF16 and Spider-man 2, and I won't be renewing PS+ due to the crazy price hike and the fact that I only used it for Cloud Saves this year.
I totally get and agree that price hikes are annoying, but the increase in essential is £10 for a 12 month membership (£0.83 per month). I know everyone's financial circumstances are different, I just see these price rises mentioned a lot and I wouldn't label that increase as crazy?

I get that as a raw % it's a decent increase, but it's less than a £1 per month increase in the essential tier and you can still get your cloud saves

chroeser

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah if you only play first party both were not impressive this year, but besides FXVI and SM2 I played ungodly hours of Armored Core VI and BG3. This year was A+ for me on my PS5 only rivaled by 2017 with Nier Automata and Persona 5

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
Agree with both ratings.

PS5 has been a massive let down in comparison to PS4 . They need more new ip's & AA games just having 1 AAA game per year is not enough.

Xbox output is not great either but the combination of new ip's and AA games make them the more exciting console right now . Game pass been great also BTW

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the vid I got more of the impression their scores were for the 3 years so far rather than just this year.

Not that is really makes much of a difference.

The main thing I'm taking away from this is I think giving the Xbox a B is ridiculous personally, but it is what it is.

hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
A lot more people here are displeased with the PS5 than I ever would have expected.

I skipped the PS4 so I have all those great games to play. As far as PS5 goes… yeah it has been a bit underwhelming as far as exclusives go.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC and Switch, baby. Best of all worlds.

BountyHunter

Apr 13, 2023
FFxVI was one of the best games in a long time so I disagree.
I find it pretty mindblowing that in a year of FF16 (87 metacritic) and Spiderman 2 (90 metacritic), a C grade could be given. Two huge exclusives, reviewed fantastically well, not to mention Baldurs Gate releasing on the platform (albeit unintentionally) ahead of Xbox, and the year gets a C. I dunno what folk expect really.

I personally also don't think Playstation has got anywhere near enough credit for its game library on the Extra service. There's been some really great additions this year

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I'd agree, although maybe slightly generous for both. I'm one of the many who've been there since ps1 and the ps5 I think has had a terrible time in terms of exclusives. They're few and far between and while often good/great, they've not been particularly exciting nor inventive. When stacked up against Nintendo it's no contest whatsoever.

Xbox hasn't fared much better but Game Pass does help somewhat in smoothing over the rough patches.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
One of the so called best years in gaming ever and both consoles could only manage a B and C?

Ouch.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I totally get and agree that price hikes are annoying, but the increase in essential is £10 for a 12 month membership (£0.83 per month). I know everyone's financial circumstances are different, I just see these price rises mentioned a lot and I wouldn't label that inceease as crazy?
In the US, it went up $20 in price... It already didn't feel like a good value for me at $60, so I would renew at $45 when it was on sale. I did upgrade to Extra tier at a discount because I thought I would use it, but I ended up just using Gamepass instead. I don't think they are even offering a Black Friday discount this year other than upgrading to a higher tier.

BountyHunter

Apr 13, 2023
In the US, it went up $20 in price... It already didn't feel like a good value for me at $60, so I would renew at $45 when it was on sale. I did upgrade to Extra tier at a discount because I thought I would use it, but I ended up just using Gamepass instead. I don't think they are even offering a Black Friday discount this year other than upgrading to a higher tier.
Apologies I thought the essentials increase was the same everywhere... was only £10 in the UK

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Agree with both ratings.

PS5 has been a massive let down in comparison to PS4 . They need more AA games just having 1 AAA game per year is not enough.

Xbox output is not great either but the combination of new ip's and AA games make them the more exciting console right now .
They do make AA games, y'all just don't buy them.

At the start of last gen, "indiestation 4" was the common place sobriquet. Now, there's too much AAA and not enough at the same time?

It's wild trying to keep up.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Focus on exclusives is toxic. Barring Nintendo's output, both audiences enjoyed every critical darling of this so-called incredible year for the industry, on top of having their own platform exclusives.

The effect of internal developments shouldn't be that important for the media when it isn't either for the market or the average consumer.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
This thread made me realize, outside of work stuff, I don't think I've used my ps5 at all this year after I beat ragnarok. Maybe if I was a single console owner I'd squeeze more use out of it but as is what a drop compared to last gen.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
FFXVI sucked bad but given IGN's own scores, I'm not sure this adds up. Will edit after watching the vid.

Edit:

So, this is a 3-year grade and not a 2023 grade.

Their arguments:

Xbox: has nailed everything except top tier exclusives.
Playstation: has nailed top tier exclusives, but everything else is kind of hit and miss.

I guess. Playstation gets more third-party releases, so it's better as a one-stop console. But game pass is pretty nuts and only going to get better after the ABK games drop on it. In terms of software, I bought a bunch of Sony exclusives but still haven't gotten around to them. But I think getting them physically has kept me from playing them, and that's my fault. I'm too used to digital libraries. On Xbox, you turn it on and get to play one of their big games this year with a couple button clicks.

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 didn't have much in the way of first party exclusives this year outside of Spider-Man 2, and Xbox had more. These guys hit the nail on the head in this convo in every aspect honestly. And now Sony wants almost Game Pass-level money for a service that does not hold a goddamn candle to Game Pass, which makes it a bit of a worse value proposition.

Sony betting the farm on GAAS doesn't bode well for them in the future either.

Again, every single word these guys said rang true to me, no one is fanboying here.
Has no idea so many on era only use their consoles for 1st party games.
3rd party games are a wash since they can be played on both.
Focus on exclusives is toxic. Barring Nintendo's output, both audiences enjoyed every critical darling of this so-called incredible year for the industry, on top of having their own platform exclusives.

The effect of internal developments shouldn't be that important for the media when it isn't either for the market or the average consumer.
How is it toxic? Why does Madden on PS5 make it stand out from the Xbox Series X which can also play Madden?

Last edited:

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This comparison really show the difference in attitude/expectations.

One is trying to find the positives in a sea of mediocrity and the other laments about this gen not being as good as the one before it (in his eyes).

One is trying to be optimistic and the other seems to be pessimistic. With traded line-ups Xbox would be at A+ and Playstation at D-.

Maybe they should try to find more objective representatives.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh its a 23min video, I should just skip listening to their reasoning and just dump out my own take hmmm.

PS5 -> B
XS S|X -> C+

😎

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah FFXVI is the only game I've bought since getting the PS5 (with 2 games) in 2021 and I dropped it. All my console does is collect dust.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Third parties are carrying PlayStation hard this gen so far. Their first party output has been pretty miserable by my tastes, and it's only going to get worse when the gaas shit starts dropping.

Xbox has been lame as hell too. Nintendo picking up the slack this year, and I definitely bought a Steam Deck at the right time.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
This is war season and we are here for it. Rejoice, Era, for we will march under the banner of our platforms of choice and engage in fierce battles while our battle cries inspire fear in our enemies.

300-spartans.gif

/s btw but not really

I'm absolutely convinced some of you are exaggerating when you say your consoles are collecting dust. Like, really? I don't believe you.
Having said that, I agree PS had a very unusually empty year. Xbox did much better in that regard when it comes to first party and Nintendo knocked it out of the park.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is probably the last Sony console i bought. There is just no point anymore in getting one for 1 or 2 games that come out on pc anyways after a short period of time.

Nintendo is probably the only console worth getting for its diverse first party lineup in combination with a PC.

Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
I skimmed through the video and it seems more like a personal expectations vs reality and to be fair, they do say that going in. But I can't agree with their rankings. Especially when stuff like PSVR2, a library of games and modes that XSX has no access to, gets tossed aside. Even if you think XVI and Spider-Man 2 gets cancelled out by Starfield and Hi-Fi Rush, Baldur's Gate 3 has no equal on XSX. So in terms of exclusive software PS5 has it hands down IMO. Of course you can never put an objective score to one's enjoyment of a video game. So people can prefer XSX lineup over PS5.

Subscription wise of course, XSX wins. PS+ can't stack up to game pass and then Sony further shat the bed with the price increase. IMO this is the only move that is objectively negative, so if you're basing your rankings on this with the games being personal taste, then yeah PS5 had a bad year compared to XSX.

Personally, as a PS5+Switch owner I'm very happy with the PS5. I've played a lot of high quality titles this year, some exclusives (Spidey and XVI are my top 2) and some due to PS+ (Tchia, Sea of Stars, NEO TWEWY etc.) So It's an A for me. And with 2024's first quarter it's gonna keep going.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I never understood this argument.

Even if you mostly play PS4 games, those games will still have shorter loading times and fewer framerate dips when played on a PS5, so if you already know that you want a PS5, then there's no reason to wait to get one. In addition, many cross platform games do have PS5-specific versions that perform and look quite significantly better.

I would agree with the bolded it not for the probable existence of the Pro

I'd def have picked up a PS5 in the last few months if the Pro wasn't rumoured

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
This is war season and we are here for it. Rejoice, Era, for we will march under the banner of our platforms of choice and engage in fierce battles while our battle cries inspire fear in our enemies.

300-spartans.gif

/s btw but not really

I'm absolutely convinced some of you are exaggerating when you say your consoles are collecting dust. Like, really? I don't believe you.
Having said that, I agree PS had a very unusually empty year. Xbox did much better in that regard when it comes to first party and Nintendo knocked it out of the park.

All my consoles are, I have pivoted to PC now. So there! Except for my Rog Ally, if that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.