• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like he would have been better off sticking to YouTube instead of becoming a "reviewer" at IGN. Geez.

Jul 26, 2018
Eh, just because people can type words that doesn't mean it isn't difficult. Good writing doesn't just come naturally.
I'm not saying it's an easy job or anything. But it's not like IGN was asking him to write features, editorials or even extensive reviews. Like someone else pointed out... He could have even winged it by playing a bit of the game and made up a bunch of points by guess work on previews and asking other staff members and fellow journalists how they're liking X game just as normal chatter... Guy is just dumb aside from being a thief.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
"If you steal from one author it's plagiarism; if you steal from many it's research." - Flip, July 5, 2014

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This Youtuber should've stayed in his site instead of shaming himself trying to become a "journalist" for IGN. Geez!

how did I do?

Jul 26, 2018
Filip Miucin is a fraud, but I don't know if I agree with this attitude wholeheartedly. I don't think many of the write-ups and expressed thoughts I read on Era or get from some of my favorite YouTubers and whatnot are easy to write up and think up, necessarily. Writing about games that amounts to "I like this thing" or "I dislike this thing" is easy, but trying to break down and articulate something like "why the gameplay is good" takes way more effort than I think people give credit to...

The normal mode of discussion of games is easy, yes... Because it is usually just "I like this/I don't like this," but the well-thought-out analysis brought to the table by content creators like SuperBunnyHop or some of the work by dark1x on Digital Foundry in the DF Retro episodes isn't just off-the-cuff thoughts, it's well formulated, often hard-researched thoughts brought together by a lengthy editing and thought process to articulate it as poignantly as possible, and I know for sure that I can't pull that shit off.
IGN doesn't do that though. Their reviews are fluffy

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
"It is impossible to be a maverick or a true original if you're too well behaved or don't want to break the rules. You have to think outside the box. That's what I believe. After all, what is the point of being on this earth if all you want to do is be liked by everyone and avoid trouble?" - Filip Miucin

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I feel like the original post should have a nice summary of all the findings. I just caught up with everything new found after the Engadget finding. Some super blatant stuff found! It's so crazy.

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
We have a LOT of evidence that he extensively played the games he reviewed for us. Was competent with them on stream, knew a lot about them, played them in office, held lots of convos with people about specific elements of the games.

At this point I'm in "trust nothing" mode believe me - but so far this does not seem to be the case of trying to dodge the play time requirement and instead something more about the written work itself.

This situation is so bizarre. I am sorry for you guys at IGN, but im kind of facinated to know what was he thinking.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
In the few hours after I leave work, everything came crashing down. Plagiarizing Polygon was ballsy, but even his own coworker? You can't make this up.

Patrick S.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This situation is so bizarre. I am sorry for the guys at IGN, but im kind of facinated to know what was he thinking.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This one posted by Burly is just blatant as shit: https://www.resetera.com/posts/11472186/

Polygon:

"Otherwise, the two games will remain largely identical to their older counterparts. But at a Los Angeles press event on Wednesday, I was treated to a bit of Bayonetta 2 on the Switch console, and was pleasantly surprised by how much it holds up and by how good it looks on a 60-inch TV. The increased frame rate allows for smoother gameplay, so you can dodge attacks with relative ease and finish off enemies with your chainsaw boots. I know a lot of people would've hoped for 1080p and 60fps, but even at 720p, it looks great."

Filip:

"In regards to the amount of content included, both games seem to have remained virtually identical to their previous counterpart consoles. Despite the game's lower resolution, they both looked absolutely stunning on the 60-inch TV I played on, and the increased frame rate provided a much smoother play experience which made my time with the game much more enjoyable as a whole. A lot of us were expecting 1080p/60 fps for this one, but even while running at 720p, it still manages to look fantastic."

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This man should have never left his video on demand job to become a shameless gaming hack reviewer. Goodness Gracious!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would you dare people to find more examples of your plagiarism when you know for a fact that you did that shit a lot? It was probably going to be found regardless, but that's still really dumb.
Never challenge the internet, because someone somewhere will have the time that day.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dan has had already a conversation about this on twitter and he explains it better. There's simple no realistic way to find something like that ahead of publication:

You guys should read the full convo on twitter.

That dinoTOOB fella comes off as real dense. How many times can someone rehrase "the technology you describe does not exist?"

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
IGN is doing all the right things, but damn, it must be gut wrenching for them having to cross check and take everything down.
It's extra work that should never have been needed.

CoL

Oct 25, 2017
We have a LOT of evidence that he extensively played the games he reviewed for us. Was competent with them on stream, knew a lot about them, played them in office, held lots of convos with people about specific elements of the games.

At this point I'm in "trust nothing" mode believe me - but so far this does not seem to be the case of trying to dodge the play time requirement and instead something more about the written work itself.

I know this is more for IGN legal, but you guys should consider some legal action against him. And more importantly some sort of pre-emptive settling with some of the major publications he stole from.

This now way far beyond the stage of apologizing and sending some cash to the small unknown youtuber whose work got stolen for a couple of days.

Truth is, (regardless of intent) IGN profitted for a long time, from stolen work created by other big outlets like Polygon.

I hope you can tell us its not just you and Dan working overnight to remove his reviews, but your legal team and everyone else is on it 24/7 to cover this from every angle.

Last edited:

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the IGN staff for keeping this board up to date. Have to feel the utmost sympathy for them, as I can't imagine they'll hear the end of it. Paying dearly for understandably putting stock in this individual. At this point, looks as though there's simply no other recourse but to wipe his material wholesale in order to retain credibility.

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
This one posted by Burly is just blatant as shit: https://www.resetera.com/posts/11472186/

Polygon:

"Otherwise, the two games will remain largely identical to their older counterparts. But at a Los Angeles press event on Wednesday, I was treated to a bit of Bayonetta 2 on the Switch console, and was pleasantly surprised by how much it holds up and by how good it looks on a 60-inch TV. The increased frame rate allows for smoother gameplay, so you can dodge attacks with relative ease and finish off enemies with your chainsaw boots. I know a lot of people would've hoped for 1080p and 60fps, but even at 720p, it looks great."

Filip:

"In regards to the amount of content included, both games seem to have remained virtually identical to their previous counterpart consoles. Despite the game's lower resolution, they both looked absolutely stunning on the 60-inch TV I played on, and the increased frame rate provided a much smoother play experience which made my time with the game much more enjoyable as a whole. A lot of us were expecting 1080p/60 fps for this one, but even while running at 720p, it still manages to look fantastic."

Oh my lord. The last sentence killed me... and even the TV size?? COME ON.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit!

The rabid hole keeps getting deeper and deeper.
300px-Adventure_Rabbid.png

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"I take issue with them scrubbing my work. The scrub is an act that receives no love from me. Hanging in threads your 'friends' made, trying to character assassinate me."

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Jesus man this keeps getting worse and worse. He really shouldn't have challenged the internet to try and find more plagiarism examples, though honestly whether he had or hadn't I would guess all of this still would come out, it just makes the whole situation even more crazy cause he did.