• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope you never make a mistake in your job or in your life. Yes, it seems he made a bad decision, but who doesnt? If this was a recurrent behavior thats another thing entirely, but unless thats the case, I dont see why we have to demand IGN to fire Filip.
bruh, in academic setting, if you were found out that you plagiarize someone's work you're going to be fired

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GB made everything right. Their reviews/quick looks aren't out when the embargo lifts, but when they are done. And their business isn't suffering, because people still watch them and read them because they like the PEOPLE behind it.
I don't give a shit about the opinion of some random guy at a big website if I don't know that person, if I can't trust that person and what that persons taste in gaming is. But if you don't do it like GB does and build a dedicated and loyally community around you, your business relies on being the first, having all the shit up no matter the deadlines and get the clicks and ad revenue.

Yeah, the end of Gametrailers and Easy Allies are thankfully like this as well. They were talking about this on one of their recent shows too, where at the peak of GT, the review got out no matter what, even if they had to pay freelance people. But as the site got more personality focused, they realised that people would wait as long as it was reviewed by someone they're familiar with and have built up that trust/taste index with, so reviews are done when they're done. Like they didn't get an early copy of Octopath, so the review was out this weekend by Ben Moore, resident JRPG guy, and it's a good watch.

I imagine both IGN and Gamespot are still in the GET IT OUT BY EMBARGO camp.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of other people with families who also have a sense of journalistic integrity or at least the sense not get their employer sued would be more than happy to take his job if given the opportunity.

Of course, I was only commenting about the sobering the ego part. In this situation, not only would he have to deal with getting fired, but he also has a family to take care of. That's gotta be seriously sobering as well. That kind of mistake has serious consequences not just for him, but his family as well. Whatever happens, I just hope he learns from it.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I hope you never make a mistake in your job or in your life. Yes, it seems he made a bad decision, but who doesnt? If this was a recurrent behavior thats another thing entirely, but unless thats the case, I dont see why we have to demand IGN to fire Filip.

you're fucking insane. I'm a filmmaker and a screenwriter and I have never plageeized in my entire life and I never will. And you God damn bed if I plagiarized someone else'sAnd and got caught I would never be able to work in Hollywood again.

again you and the others responding to my post trying to downplay plagiarism is blowing my mind. I pray that you and everyone else defending this don't work in an industry or plagiarism is possible. But I doubt it. Stop acting like plagiarism was a moment of weakness where he screwed up. He knew exactly what he's doing and he knew the risks involved.

EDIT: Honestly after reading the rest of the thread im not actually sure you and the others defending him really know what plagiarism is.

Last edited:

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Oh Filip... That's pretty blatant. You cant do that... I also believe this is a common thing in game reviewing, sadly.

Can't really blame reviewers for this.
I mean, there aren't that many ways to describe some aspects of gameplay without repeating the same thing over again.

This would be mine:
"In Dead Cell, you need to explore and fight your way through a procedural generated dungeon with different paths that can lead to many rewarding secrets or deadly encounters. At the end of each dungeon, you will fight a stage boss.
Like other rogue-like games, you won't be able to defeat the final stage boss on your first run around; but with each additional run, you get stronger by collecting up new gears and abilities to help you."

It is close enough, but it perfectly describes what Dead Cell is. Metrovania, Rogue-like, procedural, reward. I bet those key words will be found in almost every reviews.

But anyway, IGN, call me.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Beyond the obvious ethics of it, what I don't get about these cases is how anyone can be blatant about something like this and expect not to be discovered. (I feel the same when students hand in some obviously copied work for a lab assignment)

It's crazy! When someone did it on my site their excuse was "I gave my account to someone to help me write and they did it. Sorry about that". Basically along those lines.

I mean, even if that was true (which it most definitely wasn't), You were hired as the writer!

I'll never understand the mentality of some.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Can't really blame reviewers for this.
I mean, there aren't that many ways to describe some aspects of gameplay without repeating the same thing over again.

This would be mine:
"In Dead Cell, you need to explore and fight your way through a procedural generated dungeon with different paths that can lead to many rewarding secrets or deadly encounters. At the end of each dungeon, you will fight a stage boss.
Like other rogue-like games, you won't be able to defeat the final stage boss on your first run around; but with each additional run, you get stronger by collecting up new gears and abilities to help you."

It is close enough, but it perfectly describes what Dead Cell is. Metrovania, Rogue-like, procedural, reward. I bet those key words will be found in almost every reviews.

But anyway, IGN, call me.
That's more of a summary of the gameplay than an opinion on how it plays, there's tons of different ways to explain an opinion without echoing someone else.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I feel like a lot of people here must not understand the severity of plagiarism. Plagiarism is not tolerated in academic and professional settings because it indicates disrespect not only for the work of others, but for their own work and for their employer/faculty/school. Not to mention it's a tremendous waste of everyone's time. Accusations of plagiarism are a scarlet letter because the accused becomes someone who is difficult to trust in a professional capacity.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy! When someone did it on my site their excuse was "I gave my account to someone to help me write and they did it. Sorry about that". Basically along those lines.

I mean, even if that was true (which it most definitely wasn't), You were hired as the writer!

I'll never understand the mentality of some.

It reminds me of the FAQ I wrote for Blue Stinger a long time ago. Some folks stole it and then claimed that they thought it was "public domain" and that it was okay for them to reproduce it word for word...but with my contact information removed. People....

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
If someone is found to plagiarized just once they would be kicked out of University and if they work in the journalism field their reputation would be destroyed with no one wanting to touch them. There is no second chances with plagiarism, it is a death sentence that has no forgiveness for those that are found to crossed that line in our society.

Plagiarism is a type of "mistake" that ranks very highly on the unethical scale though.
You might have heard a bit of it from when you studied, maybe got a stern warning over an assignment using sources, but the further you go professionally, the more dangerous it becomes to plagiarise.

At university, it can get you banned from entering ever again. Universities also keep a public listing of those, making you unable to enter any other institution as well. At the very least, you won't be welcome to retry the course.
https://www.scanmyessay.com/plagiarism/consequences-of-plagiarism.php

At other jobs, you can get in legal trouble (copyright, monetary compensation, prison), depending on what you plagiarise and from who. In software, it will likely get you fired too. In journalism, where your job is research and compilation of sources, that would be a sign of incompetence.
Edit: In creative domains, I've often seen employers removing every single trace of the plagiator (even creations that probably weren't plagiarised) as a measure of security, on top of firing them.

Maybe a lot of people in this thread come from higher academics, and thus take plagiarism very seriously - as a career ender - due to professional deformation. We got it drilled in our brains: never plagiarise.

Again it's not a mistake like misquoting someone. Look at the transcript, watch the video it is blatant plagiarism and a resaon to be fired at college and any other job. He should have known better. And again, if he stays there he drags everyone at IGN down. The companies reputation, his co-workers integrity and in this day and age of toxic behaviour from GooberGaters and Co. this is dangerous

Most people aren't calling for him to be fired, but rather stating factually that dismissal is the only appropriate action to take in this scenario. Because it is.

If I work as a cashier at a retail store and steal $50 from my drawer at the end of the night, the only appropriate response would be to terminate my position, because I can no longer be trusted to perform the duties I have been assigned.

Plagiarism isn't something that deserves a second chance in the field of writing and journalism. Heck, it's not deserving of a second chance in college, which is why almost all universities expel any students caught plagiarizing.

you're fucking insane. I'm a filmmaker and a screenwriter and I have never plageeized in my entire life and I never will. And you God damn bed if I plagiarized someone else'sAnd and got caught I would never be able to work in Hollywood again.

again you and the others responding to my post trying to downplay plagiarism is blowing my mind. I pray that you and everyone else defending this don't work in an industry or plagiarism is possible. But I doubt it. Stop acting like plagiarism was a moment of weakness where he screwed up. He knew exactly what he's doing and he knew the risks involved.

I agree. I am a network engineer and I know what is like to work long hours to do your own things. I not trying to say that what he did is ok, I was just trying to show some sympathy since I like Filip, and he always looked like an honest guy to me. I just hope that whatever IGN decides (its their say), he is able to learn and grow from here.

Horse Armour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is BRAZY! Are people seriously expecting someone's life to be destroyed over making a mistake in a VIDEOGAME review? This is his first review, it's natural that he'd make a misstep in it as all beginners do. I hope IGN don't listen to the pitchfork mafia and do the responsible thing which is simply giving him a warning and helping him with his future reviews.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
To let Filip get away with this would be a disservice to all the other journalists that work at IGN and complete their assignments in an ethical manner. It is also would be a spit in the face of the content creator for the smaller YouTube channel who had their work stolen.

Especially since he has a family to take care of....

There are consequences to the actions you take. If Filip wasn't ready to face the consequences tied to plagiarism, then he shouldn't have stolen someone else's work.

Simple as that.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is BRAZY! Are people seriously expecting someone's life to be destroyed over making a mistake in a VIDEOGAME review? This is his first review, it's natural that he'd make a misstep in it as all beginners do. I hope IGN don't listen to the pitchfork mafia and do the responsible thing which is simply giving him a warning and helping him with his future reviews.

This is far from his first review. Not that it would be a valid excuse anyway.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017

And should be his last review if he can't handle the pressure or can't just say "Hey guys, listen, I won't finish the game in time and I want to write a proper, good review, so give me 3 more days". Besides, I doubt his LIFE will be destroyed. It's not a full time job.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

I think you're misinterpreting the Pitchfork Mafia for people who rightly assume that someone would be fired for plagiarism. People get sued for this shit, stop downplaying it like it isn't a big deal. Just because you probably plagiarized on an English essay in high school doesn't mean that he can do it in a professional capacity

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, honestly, they should just sue Boomstick Gaming and era's mafiosis for slander.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What? No. Plagiarism is theft, it's inexcusable. You don't keep on a cashier who steaks from the til, nor do you go easy on a plagiarist. It's sad for Filip, but he fucked up royally and probably will face the consequences.

None of this is a mob takedown. It's discussion on the logical consequence of stealing work from others.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I can't stop thinking about how stupid this is.

I really don't understand how you could plagiarize like a middle schooler in your adult job. Even if you were backed into a corner and had to get some "inspiration", why not use multiple sources for your plagiarism? Dead Cells had been in early acess for a while and there were bound to be plenty of early impressions and reviews.

But being so lazy as to only choose one and switch around a couple words is baffling.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Plagiarism isn't just "a mistake". Plagiarism is the worst bullshit someone in his position can pull.

You can all argue in circles if you want, but he'll need IGN to be extra benevolent to not terminate him.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017

What gave you the impression it's his first review? He's been reviewing games for IGN for a while now:

Nine Parchments: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/08/nine-parchments-review
Skyrim: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/16/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-for-switch-review
Bayonetta 2: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/14/bayonetta-2-for-nintendo-switch-review
Trailblazers: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/31/trailblazers-f-zero-meets-splatoon-2
Innerspace: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/16/innerspace-review

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Someone please think of his children, it's just a videogame review that pays per word! It's just some words he might have or might have not copied! It's not like he's Brian Crecente and graduated from the school of abnoxious journalists! I mean, even I plagiarized my signature from my dad, does that mean all my documents are fraud? No! It just means I'm lazy as fuck and looked up to my dad, you sick fucks!

It's IGN's fault for not using Turnitin! His children shouldn't suffer because of one big old mistake. I mean, Christ, we even forgave Bill Clinton, and he still lived in White House with Hilary up until the last election!!!

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Plagiarism story:
There was an online pixel-art MMO game that used select user-drawn images as content in the game.
One creator was very prolific, made tons of very good art, and basically became part of the "official" team of artists (gets priority on every new content).
Everything goes well until one very busy expansion. There, one of the icons for a new drop is found by a mod to be copied from the sprite of a crystal from a JRPG.
Some other "inspirations" are found. Basically edited icons of semi-obscure JRPGs made to fit the style.
The artist gets immediately banned, and ALL of his work, starting from the beginning of the game, even the pieces that were obviously original work, had to get replaced to be safe. He was basically struck from the records.
Being also part of the priority list, I pleaded to keep some of the art that wasn't proven to be plagiarised (some cool robes). But we still had to remake everything. Plus we had to only keep the "idea" behind, and remake it entirely.
It even had repercussions on all the other creators. We had to change every piece that even was a reference to an existing piece of media (Ash Ketchum costume changed to generic Pitcher for example).
There was a case where I remade one of the monster the guy made, but my change was refused because it was too similar in concept to the original. I had to come up with something so the eye with tentacles then became an eye with fish fins instead.
To say, most players weren't happy with the changes, especially losing equipment that were references. It also slowed down all the future work. The game shut down some times afterwards.

Moral of the story: plagiarism has both an effect on all of your previous work, your past and future reputation,
as well as the reputation of the group you work for and all your colleagues.

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

If you plagiarize an essay, you get expelled from college. If you steal another person's work and plagiarize it for your gaming publication, you sure as shit deserve to be fired.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a freaking videogame, it's not an essay. Is reviewing games such a chore? Especially a good one.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
How hard is it to write a review? I can shit out one in 15 mins with many buzzwords included.

Kinda expect more from a 'journalist'.
What a moronic thing to say. Not that I'm defending what he did, it's absolutely absurd, but writing takes work. People do that for a living and many work hard at it. On the other hand, it would have been better if he shat out a review like you say.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being a beginner has nothing to do with choosing to steal someone else's work and plagiarism is not a "misstep"

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I mean, it'd be just as bad if it was his first, lol. What, he'd want to make a good first impression so he stole a good one he couldn't create? And who said his life should be destroyed? He just shouldn't write/present. Get another job. Let someone fit for it do this one. I used to run a Half-Life series mods fan site by myself, I was super into it and spent like 12+ hours a day on my freaking dial up checking every single relevant website, blog and forum for tidbits of information and media and dev updates and so on, building a huge database of links, emails, everything. I got to interview Valve (Erik Johnson) and SiN/Episodes developers Ritual Entertainment (Levelord and Steve "Badman" Hessel) among tons of mod teams, I was noticed for my labour of love and was given a Steam press account, got to take part in press previews of stuff like Day of Defeat: Source, the whole shebang. The site was objectively the de facto source of scene news for those who knew of it, not just for the biggest mods' big media releases but everything about everything, maybe if the news was too small on its own then I'd have it compiled in a daily or weekly separate "quick news bits" or similar post (which the other websites also copied the format of after I started doing that, lolol). The big websites like filefront/hl2files/planethalf-life and others at the time got wind of it and started literally copy pasting my posts. After being called out by myself, they started slightly rephrasing them. And there was nothing I could do back then. My e-mails about it went ignored after a while, I was banned from their forums, etc. You have no idea how much that sucked for me. This shit is inexcusable and people making noise against that behavior is a GOOD THING. You shouldn't be able to steal people's work like that. I wasn't so lucky back then and I imagine this still happens to the small time writers.

Last edited:

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Filip is fooked. Awful, awful thing to do. Especially copying such a brilliant review from a relatively unknown channel.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let's spin this further.
Let's say IGN decides he can stay. So what could happen?
IGN could loose visitors and/or advertisement deals, because of the bad reputation. Which would lead to less income.
Once this happens their parent company, Ziff Davis, will intervene and ask Peer Schneider as Chief Content Officer / EVP and Tina Amini as Editorial Manager, Games why they decided they way they did. If they feel they can't entrust them IGN anymore, they will be let go and this would be pretty bad, especially Peer.
He is a household name there and can shitshield his staff from higher ups. so that they can do what is needed. If he would be gone, Ziff Davis would entrust IGN someone who would be happy to do what Ziff Davis wants and from here on everything will go south.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I remember when he said on his YouTube channel that he was "joining forces with IGN", except he wasn't joining forces, they were hiring him. Big difference.

Why does that matter? Because at the end of the video he went on to say how he couldn't wait to upload lots of new videos on his existing channel soon, even though he knew full well that IGN prohibit employees from having personal game channels.

He's been out of his depth since day 1.

Video for reference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P87Jfpl1_I

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

His life won't be destroyed by being dismissed from a job where one of the core tenets is that you don't rip off others. In the real world there are consequences for this sort of thing.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
No doubt hes gonna get fired for this. I feel bad for the guy, he moved out to san fran for the role He definitely seemed a little out of his depth in the role but he was getting better; this smacks of he had a deadline he couldn't hit and tried to find a quick fix.

Also, while plagiarism is definitely wrong and a fireable offence, I find the comparisons with academia to be a little far fetched. Plagiarizing work that's based on e.g. years of research and training is different to ripping off some bullet point from a game review

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Looking at the tweets he's getting, I agree it's sad how everyone is jumping on the guy with the usual bullshit. People are calling him a degenerate and all that kind of nonsense. But he's a professional paid to do a job, he can't be plagiarising his work. He's ruined his own rep and damaged IGN's, so probably needs to go. But if IGN does stick by him and supports him to do better, that would be kind of cool too.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
If you plagiarize an essay, you get expelled from college. If you steal another person's work and plagiarize it for your gaming publication, you sure as shit deserve to be fired.
You don't necessarily get expelled. You will be disciplined and one of those possible punishments could be expulsion but it's not the only outcome.

I hope Filip didn't copy this review. It reads like a press-release but I'm sure we will hear more soon.

Side note, was he hired to review games? I got the impression that he was hired to be a personality, since he came from a YouTube background.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
I never commented on it cause I felt sorry for him and hoped he'd improve, but Filip is awful as the host of NVC. Low-key excited he's going out now nnnnn

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
In many, many other professions he'd be given the axe without question, especially considering it's his second offence as reported by others in the thread (whether or not this is the case, I am not reading 12 pages to find out so).

I think journalism as an industry is lenient as a whole, so don't expect any groundbreaking changes from this.

The most pertinent point to take from this, is that an aspiring professional has had his work plagiarised and shared across a much bigger platform (IGN). Yes, adversely he may gain many subscribers but the point is the work this guy has put in has been shamelessly copied by someone new to his role in a lazy, discreditable manner and yet the snowflake generation on here defend his actions saying he needs to feed his family.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No doubt hes gonna get fired for this. I feel bad for the guy, he moved out to san fran for the role He definitely seemed a little out of his depth in the role but he was getting better; this smacks of he had a deadline he couldn't hit and tried to find a quick fix.

Also, while plagiarism is definitely wrong and a fireable offence, I find the comparisons with academia to be a little far fetched. Plagiarizing work that's based on e.g. years of research and training is different to ripping off some bullet point from a game review

nah, the comparison is perfectly valid and he did far more than rip off a bullet point or two.

Also, plagiarism in any form is punishable by expulsion at most universities. It could be a one page paper for your 90's Television elective about your favorite episode of Seinfeld. It doesn't have to be a 20 page thesis.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I was starting to like the guy... When he first replaced Otero it was rough and he seemed out of his element (the truth is, he doesn't seem to know Nintendo stuff that well) but he was getting better as a host and the chemistry with the other guys was better and better. What a bummer.

And you know, as an aside... It's so easy to rewrite something to make it your own. You read the thing you want to copy, you extract the bullet points, and you write it again with your own words. I did it in college when I needed to and it's never a problem. If you're gonna cheat, at least put a little effort into it.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
IGN has been consistently not good for a while ago. The articles are subpar, the reviews are carried by the size of IGN not by the content

Also I hate when websites redesign and claim people are nostalgic that's why it's bad. The video player is garbage, layout sucks, and comment section is consistently broken on my computer.

Will firing this guy help? Probably not, but they need to do better.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
You don't necessarily get expelled. You will be disciplined and one of those possible punishments could be expulsion but it's not the only outcome.

I hope Filip didn't copy this review. It reads like a press-release but I'm sure we will hear more soon.

Side note, was he hired to review games? I got the impression that he was hired to be a personality, since he came from a YouTube background.
He was hired as an editor for their Nintendo content.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I don't know who this Filip guy is and I think IGN reviews are super weak, but plagiarism is never acceptable especially if writing is part of your job.

Oct 25, 2017
Folks, I'm pretty sure Horse Armour's post is satirical in nature. Come on now.

By the way what's even more confusing to me about people not seeing how serious of an offence plagiarism is is that I myself subscribe to the ideas of every creative endeavour indeed being a thinly veiled remix of other works and that society should thus restrict most copyright laws in the long run. EVEN with this perspective in mind, I think someone should indeed, without question, be fired for plagiarism in a case like this (if that's the conclusion the evidence points to). You don't get to publish someone else's work pretty much verbatim without crediting or compensating them within a professional field without facing harsh consequences.

In fact, in order to avoid journalistic bias in my review (or hell, in my own experience playing a game as a consumer – as was the case for me with La-Mulana 2 this past week) I would actively be seeking to AVOID reading any other opinion about the game in order to make my own genuine judgement known to the people who trust my sense of taste (which is presumably why they are reading my opinions in the first place.) This is basic shit and goes even further beyond actual plagiarism, which is just indefensible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.