Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
One detail I would like to point out is that IGN Israel is not a "branch" of the greater company. Much like Kotaku Australia, that's just a case of a company licensing the brand name and having permission to republish stories from the original site, but being otherwise completely disconnected. Nobody at IGN Israel answers to anyone at IGN or Ziff-Davis. So when we push hard against J2 and ZD, there's no point in bringing up what IGN Israel does, because it's completely out of their control. More focused criticism is more likely to elicit the kind of change we want to see.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Ziff Davis was founded by a staunch Revisionist Zionist - i.e. territorial maximalist. About zero chance any of their publications would ever stand against Palestinian oppression.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Thanks for the resource, and yeah it did come off as a little harsh as we seem to agree, and Era would be a more pleasant place in general if people were at least able to admit when they're speaking on a subject they don't have a nuanced understanding of, which is why I said I'm not as informed on this subject as I'm sure others are

Nevertheless, as I said in my first post, I find it abhorrent how politicians and corporations in general can "both sides" this, when it looks like what you have described. I apologise if I caused any offence, I meant conflict in a neutral way, as "there is a conflict between two parties", I didn't mean to imply that it's a just or fair conflict, as it's clearly not justified or fair, but I also think that would be a really uncharitable interpretation of my post

I will look over your link when I have some more free time though, so thanks again for that
You don't have to apologise, my friend. I just wanted to make clear that this situation can't be called a "conflict", which suggests that both sides would be on equal ground. And I really think people should stop call it that way.

And I really don't blame you for not knowing much about the entire situation, the West has done a good job of downplaying and spreading propaganda around it. Again, I apologise if I was rude or harsh in my comment and am sorry if I treated your comment unjustly in any way. I just thought I'd give a quick correction and give a source of information on the matter.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
User Banned (1 Month): Defending bigoted individuals over a series of posts
You gonna have to explain why because there is nothing interesting about two white dudes with questionable politics having a conversation.
You do not need to agree with someones politics to find something interesting. I personally think Joe Rogan has crazy opions, but does not stop me finding some of his shows interesting. Not sure what being white dudes has to do with it.

So what if he has been talking for weeks?

Surely you see how being involved with an alt right podcast that were trying to downplay genocide is suspect?
It has been good to see over the last few years and particularly in recent weeks that our Scottish government has come out so strong in support of Palestine. Anyone who is downplaying genocide needs to be called out.

Do you not think calling the podcast alt right a bit ridiculous? On the times I have listened it has been 100% gaming.

Oct 27, 2017
You do not need to agree with someones politics to find something interesting. I personally think Joe Rogan has crazy opions, but does not stop me finding some of his shows interesting. Not sure what being white dudes has to do with it.

It has been good to see over the last few years and particularly in recent weeks that our Scottish government has come out so strong in support of Palestine. Anyone who is downplaying genocide needs to be called out.

Do you not think calling the podcast alt right a bit ridiculous? On the times I have listened it has been 100% gaming.
Colin is alt right and has been posting alt right talking posts and other disgusting things. It is not ridiculous at all the call him and his podcast alt right. Doesn't matter how much percentage is game talk.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Crazy is putting it lightly. Vile, dangerous and actively harmful would be closer to the mark.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
Both of Kotaku's posts are still up right at the top. Good on them.

Ziff Davis was founded by a staunch Revisionist Zionist - i.e. territorial maximalist. About zero chance any of their publications would ever stand against Palestinian oppression.

Can anyone recommend alternatives to IGN whose founders/parent companies aren't, in some way, linked to zionists?

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
ResetERA really should ban IGN as a source. I know it sucks for the anti-zionists writers at IGN but the only way to show a corporation what is what is by harming their revenue source. Ziff Davis doesn't care no matter how many emails you send if millions still use their websites. So take a stand.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Makes it kinda cool that one of them did, tho. IGN's original post served its purpose: inspired other outlets to speak up, sparked some donations to important Palestinian causes (personally, I didn't know about most of those organizations, so I was grateful IGN pointed them out), and amplified a positive, awareness-generating discussion.

If anything, the thing that stands out to me most about corporate's move here...is that it accomplishes nothing? I mean, aside from highlighting the need for unions, how corporate power results in a compromised editorial relationship, and the brokenness of the discourse around Israel in places like the United States.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Well at least someone from IGN tried to do the right thing.

This is disappointing but I guess if theyre an owned company it's to be expected.

Wonder how the person who wrote the initial article is feeling now.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Makes it kinda cool that one of them did, tho. IGN's original post served its purpose: inspired other outlets to speak up, sparked some donations to important Palestinian causes (personally, I didn't know about most of those organizations, so I was grateful IGN pointed them out), and amplified a positive, awareness-generating discussion.

You can even make the case that by making that post, and then having it forcibly removed, it shines a light on the more general issue of some corporations censoring anything perceived as pro-Palestine in the US. As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, the Streissand effect may hopefully make the whole thing more visible.

(I know that an argument can also be made that this may eventually distract away from the original issue, but let's hope not.)

So this is that censorship in gaming I keep hearing people go on about huh?

GamerGate: *crickets*

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
How fucking shameful. I feel for their staff and will support them financially if they decide to break away.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
another case of corporations taking down messaging and trying to save face in order to have globaly appealing brand image.

miss me with this horseshit! fucking scum

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
If anything, the thing that stands out to me most about corporate's move here...is that it accomplishes nothing? I mean, aside from highlighting the need for unions, how corporate power results in a compromised editorial relationship, and the brokenness of the discourse around Israel in places like the United States.
They think by doing so they just cover things up but there's Streisand Effect fortunately

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
posting from the other thread:

this is worse than saying nothing. there's no conflict, and there's no two sides to this situation. fuck off with this shit, IGN.
there's 9 dead on one side, which is a powerful, rich country born out of oppression and occupation of another people, and more than 200 dead on the other side, a powerless, stateless people with no rights who are 2nd degree citizens in their own lands. it's clear which side should be supported and helped via charitable donations.
Accurate.

Humam

Oct 25, 2017
It fucking sucks that they have to apologize for speaking out against injustice. What the fuck is this world. Everything sucks. Fuck the owners of IGN and Thank you to the staff members who were able to get that previous statement out.

balb

Oct 30, 2017
Thread isn't as big as I'd like it to be. Hope there's more outrage at other places because this story needs to pick up steam.

Oct 25, 2017
We sincerely apologize for appearing to be aligned with only the victims of an ethnic cleansing. We at IGN support both the victims and the perpetrators of events like these. When it comes to apartheid, may the best man win!

Mar 29, 2018
One detail I would like to point out is that IGN Israel is not a "branch" of the greater company. Much like Kotaku Australia, that's just a case of a company licensing the brand name and having permission to republish stories from the original site, but being otherwise completely disconnected. Nobody at IGN Israel answers to anyone at IGN or Ziff-Davis. So when we push hard against J2 and ZD, there's no point in bringing up what IGN Israel does, because it's completely out of their control. More focused criticism is more likely to elicit the kind of change we want to see.
That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I do just wanna say a massive shoutout to IGN South Africa though for trying to get that post up. Makes me proud of the editor there.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Fuck J2Global and Ziff Davis. Don't direct your criticism and hatred to the wrong people

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Well the staff tried, this just goes to show the power of lobbyists have on corporate America, let alone politics.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
I've been sharing some of the statements made by people from the industry regarding IGN executives's latest failure of a Tweet.

I am saddened to see this happening, but as many here have already said, I hope this gives more attention to the entire situation in Palestine and Israel. Already seeing pushback from pro-Israeli government stooges claiming that any condemnation of what the IDF is doing is anti-semitic, but that is simply not true. It's a shield they wield to try and silence any criticism.

This is about an authoritarian apartheid government oppressing an entire people and stealing their land. It's about basic human rights.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
I was surprised from the beginning honestly, isn't part of Ziff Davis? The two sides argument can be done on any genocide current or in the past

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Sounds like you are commenting on the Catholic Church or Donald Trump rather than a podcaster who occasionally has interesting guests.
I'm talking about someone who has used a massive platform to spread hate and misconceptions about trans people. Stances that work to endanger us and push back against our access to healthcare and freedoms in life. Someone who was content to use the largest podcast in the world to veer people from getting the Covid vaccine. I think "harmful and dangerous" is pretty accurate for Joe Rogan considering his reach and how he often uses his platform. Don't know why you need to be at the level of Trump or the Catholic church before you can be considered such.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A side note:

I have come across quite a few posts here which state, "human rights is not political" and others to that effect when condemning the posters who said IGN "should stay out of politics".

I would have thought that by now, as a community we'd have reached the consensus that politics are attached to every facet of life because policies dictate how we live it where we are situated. Human rights, as inalienable as it should be to all of us, is definitely political because the charters that dictate it are a product of negotiations, understandings and treaties amongst various nations over the years. Ergo, the mechanism through which these rights have been earned, established and expanded are political in nature.

So no, IGN should NOT stay out of political discourse when it comes to human rights and their violations in Palestine, whose people have largely been forgotten as part of presumption that conflict is the natural state of middle east (Tamoor Hussain from Gamespot said it best).

I am glad that IGN posted the rather innocuous OG statement because it showed the world how effectively dissenting voices can be muzzled to a chilling effect and how selective corporations are at championing causes.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seems corporate culture finally caught up to the statement IGN made. You dont support palestine aa easy as other social movements.