• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Re-reviews are so lame. That said, the game has gotten worse to a point where I've stopped playing it. I put hundreds of hours into that game as a support main, and I can't bring myself back to play it anymore. The constantly swirling and churning Meta is what kills me. I don't want to have to relearn every hero engagement every two weeks because some are nerfed, some are buffed, some are reworked, or because some OWL team introduced a hot, new team composition that everyone needs to replicate.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch is one of the rare games I enjoy thinking about and looking at more than I actually enjoy playing.

The only way I'd ever give it a 10/10 is if they released a new game mode where a Blizzard intern hand-picks every player on each team, poor sportsmanship is punishable with an increasingly painful electrical shock, and everyone signs an agreement to play inebriated. I'd play the shit out of that.

Kureizu

Oct 27, 2017
Alicante, Spain.
Overwatch is a worse game now than when it first came out imo. I guess IGN saw Gamespot's Siege re-review and felt like they needed to do the same thing.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
Who is a review like this for? It seems more like it's just to make existing Overwatch fans happy rather than helping anyone else with buying advice. As of right now Overwatch seems almost impenetrable to new players - well established character roles, veteran players know the maps, toxic fanbase in general, etc. - so new players coming in will just get bitched at and frustrated and regret buying this "tenouttaten" game.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Billion Dollar Company: You know what we need to do in the middle of May? Like, you KNOW what we need to do? Right now? Bribe a person to re-review a game even we admit we're not working on too much anymore.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
Their original 9.4 when the game came out I agree with it was amazing. Personally I don't see how the score could go up in 2020 lol.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure they're going for the broad stroke here to inform buyers of the complete package as it stands rather than deal with meta nitpicking and whatever else so I understand the 10.

Having known multiple people who have barely tried it for the first time during quarantine, the game is still an insanely appealing package to the casual player who hasn't tried it yet.

That said, yeah, it's very polished but uh... not a 10.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Conspiratorial accusations of shilling
I'm not much into the "Paid reviews" conspiracy but this is 100% an ad that Blizzard bought from IGN. Not only the universal sentiment among players is that the game got worse, it also needs to drum interest with news when there is nothing new to announce so the game keeps being relevant until the sequel launches.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The game has gotten worse imo if you're a damage character. Having to wait 10m+ is absolutely fucking awful. I know why they did, the goats at times are way too OP but it ruined the game for a large part of the people. I also think it was unique if midway, even people who were tanks would switch into support or damage and you would essentially be playing an entirely different team.
The funny part is that when Competitive Open Queue was introduced, GOATS returned.

While the DPS queue times are unfortunate & should be addressed (maybe with 3-2-1 in OW2), Role Queue is the only thing keeping GOATS from coming back.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
same, Pharah main here... dead game.

also, i really don't like this concept of re-reviews. hope it don't get popular. feels too much like editing history.
A review exist to inform consumers on a product if a product has changed substantially since release why not reflect the current game. (as long as the original review us still up and preserved)

what if in theory a well reviewed multiplayer game becomes almost unplayable for a year do to gamebreaking bugs does that deserve a new score?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Game deserves more than a 10 quite frankly. It's the game I didn't know I wanted but I always felt that I was missing. Been playing since launch, own it 5 different times, and have a collective 1200+ hours in it.
After all that, it's still endless fun for me.

OW2 will be Christmas for me.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not much into the "Paid reviews" conspiracy but this is 100% an ad that Blizzard bought from IGN. Not only the universal sentiment among players is that the game got worse, it also needs to drum interest with news when there is nothing new to announce so the game keeps being relevant until the sequel launches.

I wouldn't say it got worse. The game is in a better shape today than ever before imo.

It got stale. It feels like it could be so much better but they are holding content for OW2 and it's killing the game.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I literally just started playing this again over the weekend after not playing it for several years and it is dramatically better.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's the only FPS I ever have an itch to return to, and the only one I enjoy when I do. I find the gameplay and presentation in the vast majority of multiplayer FPS games so incredibly dull, or packed with grind to win nonsense.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
The support Blizzard gave the game is 11 out of 10. Love when devs continue to support their games for years.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
While I support re-reviewing games I actually think it should be reviewed by someone who is completely new to the the game, that way you get the perspective of coming to the game new today which is what the point of this review should be. No one reading the review that has already played the game is getting anything from it, while you could provide a service to people that might not have played it before and have the reviewer have the same perspective of playing for the first time. But hey that's just me.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it got worse. The game is in a better shape today than ever before imo.

It got stale. It feels like it could be so much better but they are holding content for OW2 and it's killing the game.
Wasnt the new queue system universally hated by the community?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch is a worse game now than when it first came out imo. I guess IGN saw Gamespot's Siege re-review and felt like they needed to do the same thing.
Do you remember the game when it came out? Like genuinely?

If you do, I would actually like to hear how launch Overwatch is better than current.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
you guys are joking about this being a paid review right? Are we not past these publisher paid the reviewer cospiracy theory's

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
As a healer I love how they added role queue to prevent solo healing or zero tank situations which pretty much spoiled the game from the very start but it's hard not to feel soured by the announcement of Overwatch 2.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I'm a huge Overwatch fan, but even I disagree with that new review. The game is definitely not a 10/10. They completely let down some aspect of the game like the lore, that was very promising at first.

The support of the game by Blizzard was good, and Jeff Kaplan is really talented at interacting with the community I think, but overall we never had that much events, and they started to feel really blend after the 2nd year of the game. Another big issue for me is that Blizzard really manage to tackle the toxicity of the community while the game's lore was all about promoting inclusivity and positivity in the world.

Now that Overwatch 2 is officially announced, the game seems to really be the shadow of what it used to be. I still play it maybe a couple of games every couple of months, but that's it.

BTW, never had any issue with the business model. I really felt like I was playing Team Fortress 3 which was all I was asking for.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt the new queue system universally hated by the community?

Depends on who you ask (blessing for supports and tanks, curse for dps) and your region. Jeff Kaplan in latest dev update explained it further in regards to region:

"It's actually been fascinating to watch the response to Competitive Open Queue," Jeff said. "Across the world, people play Competitive Open Queue in very different ways"

"For example, in Korea, Competitive Open Queue in Arcade is the second most popular mode being played right now," he continued. "While in North America Competitive Open Queue is less popular than Mystery Heroes, or even Workshop modes being played in the game browser."

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would had given a 10 two years ago. But I left the game because above been generally unhappy with the changes to the game.

Its in no way a 10 now to me.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Huge OW fan, but I don't think it got drastically better since it launched. I could agree with a 9/10 though.

+ More maps/characters are nice.
+ A few more game modes are fun

- Nerfed skin drop rates and how fast you actually accumulate currency
- Some of the events are seasonal only instead of having access to them all year
- Game balance leaves a lot to be desired (I get that its almost impossible to balance, but I feel like Blizz is to slow to balance in general)

I won't get into the online community since every game has its pros and cons, but I think the game has been about the same since launch.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
same, Pharah main here... dead game.

also, i really don't like this concept of re-reviews. hope it don't get popular. feels too much like editing history.
What history ?
The game they reviewed in 2016 cant be played anymore, unless Activision released a Overwatch Classic edition without me noticing.

A Rereview means the game is portrayed in a more accurate state.
The old reviews of games that change so much are essentially for different games, makes way more sense to rereview to represent the current(at least at the time of posting) state of the game.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Do they talk about how Blizzard pretty much gave up on events and similar content that is supposed to keep the engament of players that arent interested in sweating their asses off to masters?

Oct 27, 2017
So is every game that got massive patches/enhancements going to get re-reviewed? Or just the ones from big publishers?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I mean I don't mind the idea of re-reviews but then it becomes a question of not giving some games special treatment over others.

Like say, why didn't SFV receive a "re-review" with their latest version ? The game has SIGNIFICANTLY changed since its launch (most would argue for the better if I'm not wrong). I'm sure it's the case for plenty of other games too but I guess you need someone passionate enough about it to bother.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The funny part is that when Competitive Open Queue was introduced, GOATS returned.

While the DPS queue times are unfortunate & should be addressed (maybe with 3-2-1 in OW2), Role Queue is the only thing keeping GOATS from coming back.

It's not unfortunate though, it's unplayable. Which is why I come in, play 1-2 games and then don't play again for 1-3 weeks. Spending as much time waiting for a game as I do nearly playing the actual thing is brutal.

For a primary dps player, the game has drastically become worse.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I don't love it as much as launch Overwatch but it's still a good game. Dropped it for Siege though.

It's not that perfect game material with that map design.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Huge OW fan, but I don't think it got drastically better since it launched. I could agree with a 9/10 though.

+ More maps/characters are nice.
+ A few more game modes are fun

- Nerfed skin drop rates and how fast you actually accumulate currency
- Some of the events are seasonal only instead of having access to them all year
- Game balance leaves a lot to be desired (I get that its almost impossible to balance, but I feel like Blizz is to slow to balance in general)

I won't get into the online community since every game has its pros and cons, but I think the game has been about the same since launch.
skin drop rates in boxes where not changed or nerfed since launch the level up was changed so you don't go 1-25 super quick then 25-100 super slow but from 1-100 you earn lootnoxes at same speed as luanch.

this plus arcade boxes and less played use boxes you earn many more cosmetatic faster now