• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.ign.com

Update: Halo Devs Refute Notion That TV Show Is a 'Distraction' to Infinite Development - IGN

According to a new report, Halo Infinite's development has been mired by outsourcing issues and the "significant distraction" of the Halo TV series.
A report has surfaced suggesting Halo Infinite's development and recent delay have been affected by outsourcing, with the upcoming Halo TV show also apparently a "significant distraction."

An investigative report into the "turbulent" development cycle of Halo Infinite from Thurrott alleges that a number of factors have contributed to the game's troubled development and eventual delay from Xbox Series X console launch into 2021.

One major factor in Infinite's delay supposedly stems from the fact that "a significant portion of the game is being outsourced to third-party contractors." This is standard practice in the games industry, especially in AAA, but in Infinite's case, the report suggests that the level of outsourcing has been unusually high, with "the coordination between the many different companies contributing to Infinite has been rough, at best."
Thurrott's source claims that the outsourcing "was at a ratio higher than a typical studio undertakes during development," which has led to communication and collaboration headaches for 343 Industries. Apparently, the E3 2019 trailer for Halo Infinite was outsourced while the game was not in a playable state, which "over-sold expectations for Infinite's later demos." The report suggests that the marketing and engineering teams behind Halo Infinite "have been on two different planets," which has also led to issues in messaging the game.
Downgrade me if old.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Let's see probably dozens of dev teams, narrative teams, tooling teams, etc and keeping everyone all synchronized and aligned with covid?

Yeah sounds like a nightmare

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well damn, I swear I've been hearing about the show being in limbo since Halo 5 days when Ridley Scott was attached.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont they already have like 450 employees? like double the size of Naughty Dog and SSM? Why do they need to outsource more? They should be outsourcing less. Fewer. Stannis.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
You could have linked the Thurrot article instead of the IGN one.
OT: I don't know how outsourcing is a proof of the development problems, this is common.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
So basically it's management problem. Nothing we didn't already knew about then.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn so the whole in engine 2019 e3 trialer was outsourced according to the source and not representative of the actual engine ? That's a shame . It looked gorgeous in e3 2019

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Don't most huge projects outsource a lot?

It'd help to read a few paragraphs in.

This is standard practice in the games industry, especially in AAA, but in Infinite's case, the report suggests that the level of outsourcing has been unusually high, with "the coordination between the many different companies contributing to Infinite has been rough, at best."

Gotta say I always thought this article would have come from Jason. Beaten to the punch, maybe?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to be a ride in a half BEFORE it is launched

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Dont they already have like 450 employees? like double the size of Naughty Dog and SSM? Why do they need to outsource more? They should be outsourcing less. Fewer. Stannis.
Think about how large a Halo game is. Halo has to ship with a campaign, fully featured multiplayer with a variety of maps, Forge, Theater...its a LOT. sure they may be double the size of ND but their games are probably double the size too (at least).

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Weren't outsourcing issues the key reason the Master Chief Collection initially turned out to be such a mess?

Jan 16, 2019
I wonder if Bonnie Ross job is on the line after this depending on the outcome. Considering the launch state of MCC, Halo 4 and Halo 5

343 is terribly mismanaged

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
that explains a lot.

what about the slipstream 2018 engine demo? was that done by 343i?
Not sure . The source says 2019 e3 in engine trailer was done by another company as engine was not in a showing stage to public at all. So I m assuming if in 2019 it was not showable, 2018 would be same?

javac

Oct 28, 2017

www.resetera.com

Over 2000 developers and 13 outsourcing studios worked on The Last of Us Part II

This is the "cost" of AAA games in the year 2020. Sony's biggest title in term of workforce and people involved in a single game. https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation-4/last-of-us-part-ii/credits

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't outsourcing issues the key reason the Master Chief Collection initially turned out to be such a mess?
Initially yes, but probably more to do with the release timeline for it. But outsourcing is also the reason it's in great shape today. I believe Splash Damage and Ruffian are working on the game to this day, specifically the PC port (and doing a pretty good job imo)

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He debunked the multiplayer and single player being split, which isn't even mentioned here.
I mean he literally just talks about that whole thing about Infinite being shipped in parts. He didn't comment on outsourcing claims or dev troubles. Those could still very well be real things.
The source u posted talks about shipping MP with SP nothing to do with this topic about outsourcing ?
He didn't debunk the outsourcing.
Doesn't even really address what's mentioned in the OP, actually.
Sounds like it might have been an offline CGI render
I read the comment by the 343 staff, it doesn't debunk anything that was reported in the OP.

Well there's this:

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Bonnie Ross job is on the line after this depending on the outcome. Considering the launch state of MCC, Halo 4 and Halo 5

343 is terribly mismanaged
Like I said in another thread, after this game ships MS needs to look at 343 critically and find out what's going on from top to bottom. Every game 343 has put out has had huge development issues.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017

343 wasn't going to take lead development on MCC when they were making Halo 5, which as it was launched somewhat threadbare. The legacy code certainly doesn't help. Besides, it's technically still being outsourced now with Ruffian and Saber, and it's in the best shape it's been. Outsourcing happens for AAA games and any game of a large enough size.