Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022

Mindestens

Nov 20, 2017
I'm actually glad, it takes away any notion that 'gaming media' should be treated seriously. Unfortunately the consumers are unwilling to pay for access to independent journalistic media in order to sustain it, the people financially running it found the current model unprofitable so you've got as much as you paid for: Nothing. A single corpo consolidating gaming clicks market to copy-paste other corpos talking points. Which was largely what was actually happening already, just not so blatantly.

Like, honestly, the only actual journalistic works in years I saw was Schreier talking about behind-the-scenes and worker treatment and that one Walker interview with Molyneux which was made possible only because at the time Molyneux was not supported by a big publisher. Otherwise even that interview would be nonsense because Walker wouldn't dare to be antagonistic no matter how anti-consumer Molyneux was.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
IGN shouldn't be allowed this much control over gaming news outlets. I quite like Eurogamer, hoping they and the other sites picked up through the deal remain open. Least Digital Foundry, Pure Xbox, Push Square and Nintendo Life remain independent per say. Might have to find a new place for my gaming news, not a fan of IGN in the slightest.

VGC is UK-based, right?

Hoping everyone affected by the layoffs lands on their feet

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is awful news, I hope people find a good place to land and won't have to leave the industry because of this - good timing for Remap Radio to get their site going though, maybe they'll get some more well earned exposure through all of this.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
The only one I have seen is Alice Bell being let go, but it's been a while since I read them so I am not sure who the current writers are.
Christ fuck that. Alice Bell held together the RPS podcast for years so I guess that'll be dead now. If not by redundancies I can see people leaving out of spite. They obviously don't care about the current readership with such a move.

Hope she can land on her feet so I can get my updates on naval activity along the Irish coastline.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Strange times. Here in the Netherlands if I remember correctly (at least when I was working fulltime for a website, I'm a freelancer these days) you had to buy in to start the Dutch version of IGN. I don't have numbers but I know that here IGN has stiff competition from the local gamesites, like the ones I write for. I think that's healthier for the market. But of course international readers don't have any value in that because its all in Dutch. Understandable.

I at least hope local sites (no matter which country) can keep trucking along to get some other voices out there and not let IGN control the entire market. Although I have no quarrel with IGN, I'm also speaking from the viewpoint of my own livelihood of course. (Edit: like Nerun says two posts beneath me, people still visit the local sites, in his/her case German ones.)

To some of the people replying here that games journalism shouldn't be taken seriously at all: fuck me, I guess. Maybe think before you speak and put down tons of folks who've build their lives around the profession. I've been doing this stuff for 20+ years and I'd like to keep doing it for the rest of my life. I know plenty of other local journalist who, like me, put all their energy and passion into informing thousands and thousands of readers about games and the game industry each and every day. I understand the gamesites that write in their native language are just a minuscule blip on the radar of an international game forum like ResetEra, but it feels kinda lame to just claim game journalism is dead. Not without a fight as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, my two cents. I hope the editors from the sites that have been bought all land on their feet, be it at the sites they work for or somewhere else.

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hell nooooo! No no no! I can't express how much this upsets me! Does a regulatory body not need to get involved when this much consolidation is occurring!?

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Shame for the people who were let go and one company handling that many outlets isn't great news. Personally I don't hate IGN, I watch some of their videos, barely visit the website and read there though. I enjoy Eurogamer content from time to time and of course I love Digital Foundry content. Some of the people that did video reviews and videos in general for Eurogamer sadly left, so I stopped watching Eurogamer basically (DF is a different thing).

I must admit I still use a lot of local content (German) though, like GameStar, GamePro, ComputerBase, PC Games / PC Games Hardware mostly. There are a lot of trash clickbait outlets here as well and big companies buying outlets or having bought them in the past, so many great websites vanished, therefore I get how many people feel about this news with IGN and the "smaller" outlets.

I used to work in this area as well for some years and it was already tough back then and hasn't gotten easier. Some found their place, expanded into different areas of finance mor interesting niche topics/reports through some click bait content and stuff. Not a fan of that, but at least you find a lot of great content still on these pages and try to ignore some click bait articles/news as best as you can.

Oct 25, 2017
Strange times. Here in the Netherlands if I remember correctly (at least when I was working fulltime for a website, freelancer these days) you had to buy in to start the Dutch version of IGN. I dont have numbers but I know that here IGN has stiff competition from the local gamesites, like the ones I write for (see the tag under my name). But of course international readers don't have any value in that because its all in Dutch.

All in all I at least hope local sites (no matter which country) can keep trucking on to at least get some other voices out there and not let IGN control the entire market. Although I have no quarrel with IGN, Im also speaking from the viewpoint of my own livehood of course.

To some of the people replying here that games journalism shouldnt be taken seriously at all: fuck me, I guess. Maybe think before you speak and put down tons of folks who've build their lives around the profession. Ive been doing this stuff for 20+ years and I'd like to keep doing it for the rest of my life. I know plenty of other local journalist who, like me, put all their energy and passion into informing thousands and thousands of readers about games and the game industry each and every day. I understand the gamesites that write in their native language are just a minuscule blip on the radar of an international game forum, but it feels kinda lame to just ignore they exist entirely or to just claim game journalism is dead.

Anyway, my two cents. I hope the editors from the sites that have been bought all land on their feet, be it at the sites they work for or somewhere else.

Much respect. A writer must write, but can never know who reads. I'm sure you've informed, inspired and entertained more folk than you will ever know.

haziq

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the Internet is beginning to die.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I remember watching all these sites start up, back when we all ran websites for fun and not money. It's wild how consolidation has destroyed what was once vibrant.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I wonder if games websites are actualy still popular? I get most of my gaming fix from here or YouTube tbh. EG became irrelevant years ago sadly, I used to read them every day 10 years ago not then they just started churning out dubious semi sponsered nonsense.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I wonder if games websites are actualy still popular? I get most of my gaming fix from here or YouTube tbh. EG became irrelevant years ago sadly, I used to read them every day 10 years ago not then they just started churning out dubious semi sponsered nonsense.
I can't speak for too many others but my site is more popular than ever, and it's reaching 25 years old. Websites are still very valuable and well used

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
How is this even possible? Were all these sites under a single company to begin with?

Edit: Ah I see, Gamer Network.

This is honestly so shady. I like IGN for Playlist and HLTB, that makes sense to expand what it offers. But buying these sites out makes no sense.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this. Gonna sign up for the DF Patreon if they are gonna lose out on Eurogamer support, but better be fully independent than owned by IGN

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand buying companies and not understanding the cogs that make them what they are. Simply looking at it from a bottom line perspective can sometimes do the opposite in the long run and compromise the bottom line.

Hoping for the best for all adversely affected by the acquisitions.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
DF lost me when they cosied up to wizard game after teasing they might do the right thing tbh.

Eurogamer and Oxboxtra ignored it completely.

lostsupper

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear: IGN, the website didn't buy these companies.

IGN is part of the company IGN Entertainment, which was called that because IGN was their biggest product (they were called Snowball before) - for example, Rotten Tomatoes and Gamespy were also websites owned by IGN Entertainment back in the day.

IGN Entertainment and its huge slate of websites, IGN among them, was bought by Fox in the 2000s. Ziff Davis, in turn, bought all of IGN Entertainment and its websites in 2013. And Ziff Davis was then purchased by a Holding company called J2 global which then in turned renamed their media publishing arm...Ziff Davis.

This also isn't the first time the industry suffers from these acquisitions, Ziff Davis already owned 1UP when they bought IGN Entertainment/Snowball and closed that website when after the acquisition went through.

Thanks for summarizing this.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I think the Internet is beginning to die.

Is that a bad thing???

well.gif

beebop

May 30, 2023
I don't understand buying companies and not understanding the cogs that make them what they are. Simply looking at it from a bottom line perspective can sometimes do the opposite in the long run and compromise the bottom line.

Hoping for the best for all adversely affected by the acquisitions.
They don't care about the people or content. They care about the URLs and traffic. Just like MS didn't give a shit about the developers, only the IP.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Shit, my go to websites for gaming info are:
Eurogamer
Resetera
Kotaku

I only use IGN to read reviews.
I am sad.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought we had laws against monopolies. These type of deals should never be allowed to happen, especially when it comes to media.

Hummus

Jan 26, 2018
Its capitalism again, sadly. sadly this (like any other direct shitty result of capiutalism) wont spark any conversation about how healthy economies could work.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
Man I miss the golden age of gaming journalism in the early 2000s. I remember being allowed to get one magazine a week at the store, which would always be a gaming or football magazine, with so many to choose from. Then Saturday mornings I remember always watching the show Gamezville on Sky One and then once a month I would be allowed to rent one game from Blockbuster. A simpler time.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
as much as i hope independent games journalism sees some growth from all of this, i'm not totally optimistic. having to rely on the generosity of an audience that's already being squeezed by rampant CoL crises to be able to continue publishing is a very risky proposition. god, this sucks.

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
Even as someone who stopped visiting Eurogamer when they pulled the plug on their forums, this is still sad.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Saw that Brendan Sinclair got laid off at GameIndustry.biz, which seems like a bad idea if you give a shit about a site you're acquiring.

Brendan Sinclair (@brendansinclair.bsky.social)

I've been laid off and need a new job. Maybe game journalism, maybe something else in games, maybe not games at all. Entertaining all possibilities at this point, so please reach out if you think I might be a good fit for you.

Hanzo

Dec 10, 2023
I don't think this means anyone should've lost their jobs. people have always cheered for consolidation for their favorite brand
That includes journalists too. Some may be affected now by layoffs. Which would be like friendly fire.
There are a number of those that clearly cheer for their favorite brand, just like regular fans, but pretending that act professionally.
No different than other journalists (sports, politics etc)

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
so digital foundry is under IGN now?

Partially. They weren't owned by Gamer Network fully, just partly and they had a partnership for the Eurogamer promotion.

IGN now owns that partial stake.

The reality is that these companies would have still had layoffs if not been shuttered long term.

Digital killed print. Blogs killed traditional digital. And now YouTube, streamers and such replace blogs.

Many of these brands have a strong YouTube presence and it isn't helping. I still believe Luke and Aoife were effectively redundancies.