Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Shadowbringers continues to get looked over for OST boggles my goddamn mind. Like, I get it. It's a MMO and a lot of people in these circles don't have time for it but NOBODY stood up and said "Hey guys, listen to this!".....

One salty warrior of darkness here

I'm sure the game will get some recognition. I expect it to appear on a bunch of "Best DLC/Expansion of 2019" lists.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
GoW was innovative within the realm of it's series but I don't really think it's that innovative overall compared to something like BotW or DS.

It's innovative aspects (the completely different gameplay loop than we're used to) are also primed to be more divisive than what made BotW more innovative (Level design in an open world instead of just a backdrop to get from point a to b, true Freeform exploration).

I just think the more it wins, the more other devs would be encouraged to try out new gameplay loops.
God of War is absolutely innovative, especially given the camera.

And Death Stranding is "innovative", sure, but again, just trying new things isn't enough, you also have to actually do them well. With Death Stranding, a lot of people don't think it did the new things it tried well.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's a pure matter of opinion, but I think that if DS had a good writing and a better mission design would have been nominated everywhere. It's not that the world building ideas are bad, but the story is, and the writing is mostly lame. And as much as I liked the social elements and some fo the traversal mechanics, the game felt really repetitive because the mission design is lacking and most of the building mechanics involve boring material grinding in some way. And the sense of challenge during the main story is nonexistent.

I didn't like the game that much, and I can understand why someone would decide to score it with a 6 the same way I understand how the game can be a 10 for a person who likes the coop mechanics.

What I think is getting really tiring is this rethoric that "we need to make DS the GOTY because the industry needs it", or all this "people who didn't like it is because they didn't understand the game or didn't want to get involved with the systems".

Seriously, the amount of "you just dont get it maaaaaaaaaan" and "its a bold new AAA game!!! Therefore it deserves the award" ive seen for death stranding is making me not want to try it. As of right now im waiting for it to go on sale, but death stranding fans need to chill, it didn't resonate with everyone the way it resonated with them, and thats okay. Hell i love banjo kazooie nuts and bolts, but i at least have the perspective to understand why that shit is divisive.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
There's nothing bold about Death Stranding unless we are talking exclusively about AAA.

Also just because it's bold and new doesn't mean it deserves awards.

By that logic Goat Simulator should get all the GOTY awards because it is certianly boldest of bold and newest of new.

I can tell you that Disco Elysium is a bolder, deeper, more unique and certainly a more meaningful experience. All the Death Stranding fans should play it, if you're all so open minded and artistic, and Kojima should play it as well.

Death Stranding is a G O O D game, but it's far from the best "so bold, so unique" game this year.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Justice

fire_emblem_three_houses_tea_time_tea_for_two_elegant_set_answers.jpg

Empress gettin what she deserves

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
TGA also didn't nominate it. Fact of the matter is, seems that RE2 had a longer lasting effect on people than DMCV did.

I wasn't paying that close attention, but the feeling I got was that DMCV landed with positive buzz but was forgotten pretty quickly after the launch window.

Perhaps I'm misremebering.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's nothing bold about Death Stranding unless we are talking exclusively about AAA.

Also just because it's bold and new doesn't mean it deserves awards.

By that logic Goat Simulator shoild get all the GOTY awards because it is certianly boldest of bold and newest of new.

Disco Elysium is a bolder, deeper, more unique and certainly a more meaningful experience. Kojima should play it.
GOAT simulator is the GOATEST , so it should be get the GOAT awards

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I am surprised Sword and Shield are on that list, I get that the reviewer was by far the most positive of all them, but I thought this list was made by editors discussing it and narrowing it down? How did Pokemon survive to the Top haha

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I think that the camera is not really a relevant addition or innovation. This is not Birdman, in GoW it doesn't help that much to make the game feel better or more personal (in fact, I barely noticed it during my time with the game) and it's more a problem than a benefit, as it forces the game to do constant backtracking, longer loading screens etc...

IMO these kind of experiments are better suited for shorter games or indies, I understand that the artist vision is important, of course, but when there's a lack of balance between it and the game feeling good overall, there's a problem, and that's really easy to notice in long games, and sadly AAA games nowadays tend to be long for the sake of being "a good money investment".

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

And Death Stranding is "innovative", sure, but again, just trying new things isn't enough, you also have to actually do them well. With Death Stranding, a lot of people don't think it did the new things it tried well.
Yeah I suppose that's the case. Though I also think it could be not that it didn't do it *well*, just that the whole concept of a package delivery game is boring to some people, no matter how well it's executed. Which is understandable, as even myself I don't rate it as high as his MGS games.

Also I didn't really find the camera added too much to the game, what other aspects did you find innovative? The combat was great and felt awesome, but I didn't find anything super new with that. The level design was Metroid/Zelda-lite which, again, really appealed to me but wasn't really anything new. The storytelling style was one that Sony has locked down by this point.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Seriously, the amount of "you just dont get it maaaaaaaaaan" and "its a bold new AAA game!!! Therefore it deserves the award" ive seen for death stranding is making me not want to try it. As of right now im waiting for it to go on sale, but death stranding fans need to chill, it didn't resonate with everyone the way it resonated with them, and thats okay. Hell i love banjo kazooie nuts and bolts, but i at least have the perspective to understand why that shit is divisive.

The amount of times I've seen the blame get shifted to the individual via "you just don't get it" posts is astonishing. Not sure why people feel the need to outright dismiss peoples opinions of the game just because they didn't like it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I can tell you that Disco Elysium is a bolder, deeper, more unique and certainly a more meaningful experience. All the Death Stranding fans should play it, if you're all so opening minded and artistic, and Kojima should play it as well.
Disco is on PC so it may as well not even exist. If it's ever ported to consoles, you'll have that usual lag period where everybody freaks the hell out about how awesome it is a year or two after it's actual release.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I can tell you that Disco Elysium is a bolder, deeper, more unique and certainly a more meaningful experience. All the Death Stranding fans should play it, if you're all so opening minded and artistic, and Kojima should play it as well.
Absolutely, it has good writing and it's far more interesting. And the way it uses the "RPG skill attributes" to shape both the conversations and the internal monologue of the MC is simply amazing. I felt that the game was too slow at some sections, and the absolute lack of any combat/puzzle can make some people bored during long sessions (it happened to me), but the overall experience was something really different and IMO well executed.

Though I also think it could be not that it didn't do it *well*, just that the whole concept of a package delivery game is boring to some people, no matter how well it's executed.
Thing is, I don't think it has been executed that well. I explained this lots of times, but the game rarely made me plan any route or think about how to distribute the cargo, and they had like 50 opportunities to make me consider the gameplay elements in a more deep way. Sadly it never reaches its potential and is too easy to bruteforce.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Wish Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair got nominated, it seems to be getting snubbed on all these lists. Cool that Fallen Order and Link's Awakening are on there though.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great list. RE2 has it in the bag.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Disco is on PC so it may as well not even exist. If it's ever ported to consoles, you'll have that usual lag period where everybody freaks the hell out about how awesome it is a year or two after it's actual release.

I was talking to the Death Stranding fans who think they are so anti-shooter and open minded and can appreciate something bold and unique.

I think they should play Disco Elysium.

It has nothing to do with platforms.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
It shows those that havent played Pokemon Sword/Shield, they are the most fun I have had with the series in years, since Pokemon Y at least

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
well, yes we are

of course there are always good games, but other years have had a lot more of them

Nah. It's just the fact that there isn't a clear runaway GOTY like God of War of Breath of the Wild. People are letting that cloud their judgement as to what makes a year weak or strong.

The list in the OP is of all great games and it's missing numerous other great games released this year (Astral Chain, Kingdom Hearts III, Luigi's Mansion 3, and so on). Saying other years "had a lot more good games" is just wrong and kind of baseless. There is no official count or tally of good games.

2019 was not a "weak" year for games.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I was talking to the Death Stranding fans who think they are so anti-shooter and open minded and can appreciate something bold and unique.

I think they should play Disco Elysium.

It has nothing to do with platforms.
I agree with you that they (and everybody) should play it. I don't think you're going to find many Death Stranding diehards who also play on PC.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I agree with you that they (and everybody) should play it. I don't think you're going to find many Death Stranding diehards who also play on PC.

I guess so, but there are still plenty of people like me who is primary a PlayStation console player but also enjoys some entry level PC gaming. For me it's a decent laptop.

If you have a PC that's still works, you should be able to run Disco.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No love for Gears at all, nice to see Three Houses get a nod.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've played and beat everything on that list except for Disco and Star Wars. I would 100% give the goty to Sekiro.

It is pretty crazy how divisive this year is going to be though. Maybe the largest divide of all time.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For my Death Stranding GOTY ego boost fullfilment reafirmations ill go to giantbomb.com thank you.