• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I hate this resoning people have, Xbox was ran by a completely different team with shitty objectives back then, now we have Phil Spencer in charge who wants this progression, business-wise, it looks great for Xbox yea, but its also great for everyone else

I'm not defending it (my wife plays fortnite on PS4, and I had considered playing with her via my Switch before realizing we can't cross play so bummer for us), it's common sense. Phil Spencer isn't your friend, if the Xbox one was outselling the PS4 by a wide margin there is ZERO chance xbox would be pushing for cross play. ZERO.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I should also add, a lot of Overwatch, Rocket League, FIFA and Destiny players also want this, these voices are getting louder

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I bet there is some data structure element that we are missing here. I wish I know what it was. There has to be something that was poorly designed on the back-end that is making this an issue.

No it isnt.

It's already working in both Fortnite and Rocket League. Both Epic and Psyonix just needed the go ahead.

This is literally nothing more than "arrogant Sony" back at it again.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not defending it (my wife plays fortnite on PS4, and I had considered playing with her via my Switch before realizing we can't cross play so bummer for us), it's common sense. Phil Spencer isn't your friend, if the Xbox one was outselling the PS4 by a wide margin there is ZERO chance xbox would be pushing for cross play. ZERO.

1. You cant prove that and 2. We'd still be asking for it and 3. He's no friend sure, but he sure as hell is leagues above Don Mattrick

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure Sony gets a cut of digital currency sold on their store. With a system that allowed you to have customization across platforms, they wouldn't see a monetary benefit from transactions on PC, Xbox, Switch, Mobile.

To be clear, I'm not defending the practice.

But they do allow linking to PC and Mobile, so that can't be it.

They just want to force people to play in their ecosystem. They're not worried about a threat from mobile or PC.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
For me, honestly, its one thing if Sony is blocking crossplay. I somewhat get it (from a certain coldhearted business standpoint)- why give your competition (that would LOVE to put you out of business if they could, despite what they say) the benefit of getting to play with your much larger userbase. As long as your own userbase doesn't complain too much (or wanes) then why would Sony give a fuck. Business is good in Sony-land, so fuck MS and fuck Nintendo.

But, the real shit area here to me is the fact that your Epic account (a 3rd party account, NOTHING to do with Sony) is now affected when its used elsewhere. Your stats, and already purchased cosmetics should not be held hostage. But I guess theres also another aspect. When you buy your Vbucks while on a playstation, PSN gets a cut of the purchase, (as does MS, as does Nitntendo now, I'm sure on their respective storefronts). So obviously, they prefer those people don't start buying those V-bucks at other storefronts. Biut, that's competition for you.

But regardless, anything up to today that you bought, wherever it may have been- Sony has no claim to that. They made their money on it (or not). No reason to say those can't be used on a Switch or an Xbox when Sony does not own that content in the first place. That's where the real pettiness comes in. And honestly, part of me DOES blame Epic here for maybe playing a little bit harder hardball here. It seems to me, they were the ones who fell in line with Sony, as they could have said nope, you don't control our third party account system and how we implement it on other platforms. But they didn't.

I'd even say Epic would have a lot of leverage in this argument. Sony could lose a LOT by not being all in for the biggest player in the battle royale craze. Plus a ton of games (on Sony platforms) use Epic's tech, so they probably don't want ot piss off THAT company. But alas, Epic didn't play hardball & the only way things can change is by it eventually hitting their pocketbook, and there being a noticeable decrease in Vbucks purchases happening on PSN (and major growth happens on Switch/xbox).

So you're pretty much blaming EPIC, which is what it sounds like by reading your post. Before the Fortnite BR craze, EPIC couldn't have any leverage nor play hardball as the game was actually seen as a failure before they added the BR mode. They HAD to abide to whatever SONY said in order to have the game on PS4, which makes sense and not lose the player base. SONY is enforcing this rule, not them. This is SONY's fault 100%.

GitarooMan

Oct 27, 2017
I

The best part is unlinking your account from PSN changes nothing.
What's confusing is that it does mean something if you are in the reverse scenario (played on Xbox/Switch/etc. and now want to play on PS4). In this case, you have to delink your PSN, then make a new Epic Account and link your PSN to that. It's crazy.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
So you're pretty much blaming EPIC, which is what it sounds like by reading your post. Before the Fortnite BR craze, EPIC couldn't have any leverage nor play hardball as the game was actually seen as a failure before they added the BR mode. They HAD to abide to whatever SONY said in order to have the game on PS4, which makes sense and not lose the player base. SONY is enforcing this rule, not them. This is SONY's fault 100%.
Nah, Epic are a tiny bit to blame (though no where near as much as Sony). Epic really should have warned people that this was going to be the case. Instead they let people link their accounts not understanding what the consequences would be.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm sure Sony gets a cut of digital currency sold on their store. With a system that allowed you to have customization across platforms, they wouldn't see a monetary benefit from transactions on PC, Xbox, Switch, Mobile.

To be clear, I'm not defending the practice.

Yea but I'm sure MS does the same thing with stuff bought in the Xbox store. I don't understand how this benefits even Sony.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Despite the "protecting the kids" bullshit they dropped, my guess is that people high up at Sony view their considerable userbase as a sizable advantage, and aren't willing to budge on anything as it relates to this, and its trickling down to issues like this linking thing. I think it's stupid, overly cautious and short sided if this is the case.
No it's not stupid, overly cautious and short sided. I am quite certain that in more than a few countries, the locking of content not bought on their platform to their platform will be considered criminal.

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
didn't we have this exact thread with the exact same title but just changing nintendo for MS? lol

valentine

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Is it possible to go into your epic games account and unlink PSN and link Nintendo Switch and play on it?

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I am definitely resetting my PS4 Fortnite account once and for all so I can play on the other systems. I haven't got much gametime on it, so I don't mind starting from scratch. Shame I can't play with my usual group though.

Edit: Hang on, you can't unlink it anymore? Okay that's so stupid. Guess the last alternative is to use a alternative email address? Hope folk bring their voices up on this or it could get annoying.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
We need the games journalists to do their job here.

Usually they defend Sony no matter what.

Like you can see how The Verge first article was like: "Sony is doing it because they are dominating the world so deal with it"

While now they have a new article showing how many Sony users are so fucking pissed by this issue.

This is an issue that might get solved only if you gamers and journalists will complain about it, there is no need to bring console war here, it just sucks for everybody.

Nov 1, 2017

Like you can see how The Verge first article was like: "Sony is doing it because they are dominating the world"

While now they have a new article showing how many even Sony users are so fucking pissed by this issue.

This is an issue that might get solved only if you fans and journalists will complain about it, there is no need to bring console war here, it just sucks for us gamers.

Biases aren't always set in stone. So long as journalists are simply talking about it, it raises awareness. Hopefully that brings change.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017

Like you can see how The Verge first article was like: "Sony is doing it because they are dominating the world"

While now they have a new article showing how many even Sony users are so fucking pissed by this issue.

This is an issue that might get solved only if you fans and journalists will complain about it, there is no need to bring console war here, it just sucks for us gamers.

like I said earlier. Complain to who? none of these people at playstation ever talk to the community. when was the last time you seen Shawn Layden on twitter? all you can do is mass tweet the Sony account and watch them never respond.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Despite the "protecting the kids" bullshit they dropped, my guess is that people high up at Sony view their considerable userbase as a sizable advantage, and aren't willing to budge on anything as it relates to this, and its trickling down to issues like this linking thing. I think it's stupid, overly cautious and short sided if this is the case.
This is definitely the case, but I do think this issue will be the thing that get Sony to change their stance on cross-platform play.
Before this, it was just "Oh c'mon Sony, let PS4 players play Rocket League and Minecraft with other platforms"
This is different and a lot of people are upset over it. I'd be very surprised if they don't address this in the next day or two.

phaeta

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Epic are a tiny bit to blame (though no where near as much as Sony). Epic really should have warned people that this was going to be the case. Instead they let people link their accounts not understanding what the consequences would be.
Sony doesn't care, and Epic is probably banking on people, despite the frustration being expressed, embracing the suck and repurchasing everything with another account. Time will tell.

Magicpork

Oct 28, 2017
This is indeed very bizarre. If you live in the EU, under the GDPR that took affect from 25th May this year, it might be illegal for Epic games to refuse the request to remove the 'mark' that you've used your account on PS4 as they're legally obliged to comply with the request to have personal data erased. If all your previous purchases were made on PC then it's worth a shot sending a support ticket and quote the Article 17 of the GDPR.

Oct 30, 2017

LushBJg.gif

Oct 25, 2017
If any of you have twitter copy and paste this

Sony @PlayStation @PlayStationUK @yosp @ShawnLayden you guys should allow cross play. A lot of your fans are asking for it especially with games like @FortniteGame

Optimator

May 5, 2018
Alabama
Yep. MS, Sony, Nintendo, all of them are the same. They get to a point where they're on top of their game, , see what they can get away with, but then they'll make a decision that backfires. They then go through a stage of PR where they try and make out that they care and they listened, but it's all BS. They fucked up trying to push their customers and then had to back track fast in order to keep customers.

MS with their 2013 Xbox one reveal. Sony with the PS3 reveal. Nintendo with the Wii U. All three make poor business moves that piss off their customers. None is better than the other.

Hopefully Sony get the message and fix this shit, but we'll see. I'm not confident they'll get the message, but if enough people apply the pressure then they will be backed into a corne and will have little choice.

And this is why as a PS4 and Switch owner, I think I might buy Microsoft's console instead next gen. There certainly seems to be a cycle, and lately I'm really liking what I'm seeing on Xbox.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
Yes, Blizzard does it with SOME Overwatch skins. There are some Skins that are Blizzard account skins and you get them on whatever platform you have connected to your Blizzard account.

I unlocked Officer D'va on PC and have it on PS4 and Xbox.

It doesn't sound like it's typical policy then, if the only other instance is Blizzard letting you uses few specific cosmetics across platforms? Can you not do it with Fifa or Minecraft or Rocket League? I guess I'm asking why is there an expectation that this should be possible? Everyone seems so angry about it, but I can't think of a time I've ever seen this sort of thing possible in any other game? (admittedly I don't play multiplayer so that's not saying much!) Sorry if it's a stupid question!

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is indeed very bizarre. If you live in the EU, under the GDPR that took affect from 25th May this year, it might be illegal for Epic games to refuse the request to remove the 'mark' that you've used your account on PS4 as they're legally obliged to comply with the request to have personal data erased. If all your previous purchases were made on PC then it's worth a shot sending a support ticket and quote the Article 17 of the GDPR.

Without going through the TOS's, my gut tells me that this might be out of Epic's hands since they are using PSN to power part of their game. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel that if Epic could do anything about it they would