• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
I seen a argument that game devs that have games on GP or other sub services will now not feel that glory of of selling millions of copies . If you were a dev do you think you would care about how many copies sold ? Do you think devs care ?

edit: let me clarify ... I mean the dev working on games not the company's. Of course the company wants money mostly but I'm thinking about that dev working 12 hours a day on a game .

Last edited:

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
People actually playing my game would be nice but I want to make rent first and foremost.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
When making a completely free game (as I am currently), seeing the numbers on analytics of how many people are playing and time spent gives motivation to continue on with it. Making a paid game however, usually would mean you're putting more time/effort/money into the project so unless you get a return on that investment you aren't going to stick with it long unless you're trying to do your community a favor and fix any issues to potentially gather a bigger playerbase.

Regardless of either though, it is a neat feeling knowing how many computers are running your (my) terribad code.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
WarlikeAffectionateAntarcticfurseal-max-1mb.gif

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Depends on the game I made.

F2P with microtransactions/GaaS? Hours played (exposure, increased playerbase/usage, should hopefully translate to more revenue)
Paid non-service game? Sales

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
It would depend on the game.
Amount of time can bring money if the game relies on microtransactions and these stuff.
But maybe sales are more safe? I don't know, I'm not a dev.

NeptisTheBlue

Jul 10, 2020
As long as the game is profitable and reviews well I could really care less about how many copies it sells unless it directly relates to how much income i'm going to get. I'm more interested in the amount of time played AND if the players actually enjoyed the time spent (or got some value out of it).

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You need both. Sales to obviously pay the bills, but you also need the data for time played to see if warrants a sequel and moving forward to your next game.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Sales, I need a house and food.
We don't do this because we love you guys playing for a long time. That would be awesome, but decent money is needed to live.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
If I wouldn't have to worry about the money then I would obviously like more that people actually played my game.

Oct 27, 2017
Pragmatically, sales matter more.

Artistically, I would be bummed if my game is only played for like 3 hours out of an 8 to 10 hour crafted experience.

OP
OP
TheRealBigRich
Oct 29, 2017
I know it's a weird quotation but I really wish I had a dev input . I feel like on a subscription you are going to get paid and that's not the problem but the recognition. It's like a game selling millions of copies and reviewing poorly vs game that sold modestly but reviews amazing .

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Nothing in this business is so simple and black and white. Everything is in between. But ultimately what matters more is money. Especially if you are a struggling indie studio or a small to mid studio that relies on constant funding to get by. Bigger studios may be able to afford burning money to deliver on certain promises they've made, even if they are not getting any monetary value back. But even then things are not so clear, as often that burned money is seen as a potential investment to get back sentiment or community engagement for future projects.

In the end, a game that everyone buys, but nobody plays, will still have your business survive and maybe even thrive. A game that no-one buys, but everyone plays, can often cost you a lot of money for support and services, money that maybe would have better spent funding other projects and initiatives. When it comes to making the business survive, you cannot pay your employees with amount of hours players played. 😛

EDIT: It will be very interesting to see the impact that subscription services have on this particular topic. If you can get funding to keep your studio alive by selling your game to a subscription service, and the barrier of entry being reduced so much for the people that are part of that subscription service, it may be possible that this whole concept gets a bit more balanced in the middle. :)

Last edited:

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I would at least like if as many people as possible finished my game and didn't drop it due to boredom.

Though it would be sad if nobody bought it either.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
These are not mutually exclusive. A bigger player base means more word of mouth sales. We've seen the reports that a high GamePass player base leads to dramatically higher sales.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
If it's a dev working for a larger company, then I imagine that as long as you feel that your job is secure, then knowing that lots of people love what you do and keep returning to it must feel pretty good. Potentially better than seeing a game sell millions and knowing that you won't see much of any of the money that is being made.

As for indie devs, money is absolutely more important at first, but once you've made enough to not have to worry about rent or food for a while, your next project is funded and you've been able to splash out on a few new toys, then I imagine that people engaging with your game would be more meaningful than more sales.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this question is essentially "are you financially stable regardless of sales". You can't really choose playtime otherwise.

Some devs are in that situation, presumably, in that big studios don't pay their employees per unit sold -- though even for them, that big studio won't exist to employ you for very long if all the studio's games sell three copies. I suppose you could probably find new employment afterwards if your work was technically sound, so it's not impossible that some devs in this position would prefer numbers, but it seems risky.

On the other side of the industry, some indie devs make games that are legitimately free, including no microtransactions or patreon support or anything. One assumes they're also in a situation where the "sales" of their game does not determine whether or not they get to eat. I'm sure some of these hobbyists would choose playtime; I'm also sure some would choose numbers, though, since reaching a wider audience means a greater chance that some individual person out there truly appreciates/falls in love with your game, which could be a dream for some creators.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As a doctor i'll say the same thing to a lot of people. As long as i can afford my home, my car, food, 20-50€/month for a hobby and some savings i don't really care about money.
I give many consultations for free, even with COVID19. (technically speaking those consultations cost me money as i pay for my gel and other material i need) whenever people that know me or are too poor to pay need.

If i was a dev it would be the same thing. If my needs are taken care off i'd stop pursuing money and try and help those around me.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I like it when more people enjoy our games but how much money they make directly affects my family's livelihood and if I can keep making more games and what kind of scope the games can have.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Money > playtime. I like people playing my game, but I love not being homeless.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of game sales (or time played on a streaming service) means the development company stays in business and keeps the developer being able to make more games, so that's good :)

But personally as a game developer, I've never really cared about either metric. If someone has fun playing my game, that's all that matters, even if they only played for 3 hours, even if they played a friend's copy so didn't register a sale at all. I mean, it's how I view games *I* play. Sure, I played 540 hours of Animal Crossing. That doesn't mean I had more fun with that game than the 15 hours I got out of Just Shapes & Beats or the 10 hours from Cadence of Hyrule.

Most people I've worked with don't read reviews or watch sales charts or anything, they just move onto their next game. That's the most fun part of game development, starting a new game.

RE: 12 hours a day, maybe I've gotten lucky, but to me that seems like an overblown meme at this point. In my career, aside from a random 2 or 3 weeks of crunch towards the end of a project here and there, it's been pretty normal working hours. Only once was there a horrible endless crunch, which was indeed around 12 hours a day, 6 to 7 days a week, for 3 months, but that cost the company a lot of good employees, and they severed ties with the publisher that put them in that position.

Last edited:

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Complicated, but interesting.

Maslow's hierarchy would suggest I need food and shelter first, but if I have those then it's more about personal esteem.

So I want my sales to be good enough that my team and I get to make another game, but past a certain point, I want the laudation from people actually enjoying my game more.

Err, which brings me to the problem. Time played could mean I have made an exploitative addictive monstrosity, and I am uncomfortable morally with gambling.

But personally speaking, I'm reasonably secure, and I work on games that actually end, so for me it's the number of players, the proportion that finished the main story, and the ongoing reception, and reviews from actual punters.

So keep paying me, and I'll make games you want to play. Stop paying me, and I may find myself making games that make you want to pay me.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
As long as I make back my budget and have enough to pay taxes and make a sequel I'll be happy. I don't need make the next GTA.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Money, but I always smile when I see someone with a large playtime knowing they invested so much into my game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i've talked to a few guys who made games nobody really plays. telling them i appreciate their effort probably meant more to them than handing them $10000 but then again game dev wasn't their "career"... or at least i hope not for their well being

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I seen a argument that game devs that have games on GP or other sub services will now not feel that glory of of selling millions of copies . If you were a dev do you think you would care about how many copies sold ? Do you think devs care ?

edit: let me clarify ... I mean the dev working on games not the company's. Of course the company wants money mostly but I'm thinking about that dev working 12 hours a day on a game .

What if I'm the only dev in the company. If I don't make sales, then I'll starve and become homeless.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Depends. On Game Pass, I'd obviously prefer time played, but I'd otherwise care more about sales in general. That said, the longer a game is played and more the more visibility that game receives on friends list, the more I think it'll sell or at least garner people's curiosity.