• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
878026.jpg

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Is this for real?

The more I read people analyzing the ingredients in this thread and making comparisons, it just seems almost impractically unhealthy, except for the 13g of fiber which is unbelievable in the other direction.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was bored so I did some research.

The idea that a 32 oz. Baskin Robbins milkshake has 2,600 calories seems to come from a Men's Health article in 2009 (article no longer available, but see a reference here: https://www.riverfronttimes.com/foo...late-oreo-milkshake-the-worst-food-in-america). It's possible this calorie count was accurate but there seems to be no way of knowing at this current time.

As per United States law, chain restaurants of a certain size (Baskin Robbins qualifies) are required to report calorie counts, but there's a lot of uncertainty there. Without doing "bomb calorimetry" (a test that does not seem to be required), estimates are done via a basic "4-4-9" method where each gram of protein, carbohydrates, and fat are estimated at 4 or 9 calories each, with a few modifiers. But that's not particularly accurate, and deviations of up to 20% are allowed by current regulations.

Regardless, a 32 oz. Baskin Robbins Chocolate Oreo milkshake today only seems to be 1,440 calories, according to their official website. This is a bit more in line with what I'd expect. I don't know if the original image was ever true, but it does seem implausible.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I pooped just looking at that, I don't know how people do anything bigger than a Small when it comes to milkshakes

jerd

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly fitting that much, uh, nutrition into 32 ounces is borderline impressive

Oct 25, 2017

The idea that a 32 oz. Baskin Robbins milkshake has 2,600 calories seems to come from a Men's Health article in 2009 (article no longer available, but see a reference here: https://www.riverfronttimes.com/foo...late-oreo-milkshake-the-worst-food-in-america). It's possible this calorie count was accurate but there seems to be no way of knowing at this current time.

As per United States law, chain restaurants of a certain size (Baskin Robbins qualifies) are required to report calorie counts, but there's a lot of uncertainty there. Without doing "bomb calorimetry" (a test that does not seem to be required), estimates are done via a basic "4-4-9" method where each gram of protein, carbohydrates, and fat are estimated at 4 or 9 calories each, with a few modifiers. But that's not particularly accurate, and deviations of up to 20% are allowed by current regulations.

Regardless, a 32 oz. Baskin Robbins Chocolate Oreo milkshake today only seems to be 1,440 calories, according to their official website. This is a bit more in line with what I'd expect. I don't know if the original image was ever true, but it does seem implausible.

Yeah that seems 1000% more believable. 140g sugar seems like the right range. No way were they somehow packing 2x the sugar density compared to a Monster or Rockstar.

Oct 27, 2017
Yuuuup. Former BR manager here. Our local high school team would come in and get shakes when they needed to gain weight! I'm a cappuccino blast+malt girl, tho.

Also a large shake is 6 scoops of ice cream and milk. Supposed to be kinda small scoops but no one filled this.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair... that serving size is 32oz which is pretty freaking huge for a milkshake... A more reasonable 8oz would still be a gross amount of sugar, but at least not 8x more than I'd be willing to put into my body in a single day.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
...I've never seen a drink with that many calories or that much sugar

What were they thinking?

augmental

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility and Trolling
The level of shitty grammar and poor wording in NeoGAF titles / discussion recently makes me wonder about all of you,

FFS:

"If you want an excuse to call out sick of work, drink this Baskin Robbins Shake"

should be re-written as such:

"If you want an excuse to call in sick to work, drink this Baskin Robbins Shake"

The word usage is "in" and "to", not "out" and "of", get it right if you are going to speak English in a proper manner. There are thousands of these examples recently and I worry that you all are doing too many drugs and hitting record levels of stupidity.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
And people drink this like it's a normal drink along with a full meal.
no, this is baskin robbins. if you told them to make a thick shake, they're using a fuck load of ice cream.

you may THINK you can have that with a meal, but it will have you instead.

The level of shitty grammar and poor wording in NeoGAF titles / discussion recently makes me wonder about all of you,
but...wrong site...

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)

Nice work!

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
For comparison, a quart of your average frozen custard is about 1600 calories, 200g of carbs, and 600mg of sodium.

This is insane, even for a quart.