• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

People who are subscribed to these services, what's the main reason you had for subscribing?

• To play online

Votes: 485 67.7%
  • For the monthly games

Votes: 418 58.4%
  • Exclusive deals

Votes: 235 32.8%
  • Betas

Votes: 36 5.0%
  • I never subscribed

Votes: 72 10.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Overall costs of purchasing the console upfront, upgrading it midcycle to play games again, and subscription costs versus $10 a month amounting to $120 a year if you choose to keep your sub all year.

I bought my Xbox and PlayStation at launch. I also upgraded to the X1X when it launched. Also had to buy an SSD. In the end, you end up spending more.
It's weird to look at the 4K consoles as a mandatory upgrade. It's not like Xbox Ones stopped getting games

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Overall costs of purchasing the console upfront, upgrading it midcycle to play games again, and subscription costs versus $10 a month amounting to $120 a year if you choose to keep your sub all year.

I bought my Xbox and PlayStation at launch. I also upgraded to the X1X when it launched. Also had to buy an SSD. In the end, you end up spending more.
Ahhh we are getting into the overall price of everything. Got it.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I usually pay around £30 a year which is kinda nothing. I save way more than that with the extra discounts.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Not sure what this has to do with what I posted. Justifying a subscription by rolling it into another subscription doesn't make sense to me.

As I said before I only have Gold because of the $1 Ultimate deal, I'm not paying for either as a stand alone product.

They originally "justified" the services in the first place by rolling in some "free games" in with it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Paid online is ridiculous. No way around that. I only get PS+ for the "free" games, but usually it's not worth it, especially in the last couple of years.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't play online and only subscribe to Gold for Games with Gold. However I haven't payed for Gold in years, and have been using MS rewards to pay for it.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
My main reason for subscribing on PS3 was the free games and I guess it still is because I don't play any games that require PS+.

Although, for convenience I'm now practically locked into PS+ for cloud saves.

Nov 8, 2017
I've had PS+ and XBL Gold since day 1. I also have that Switch online sub. $420 over a 7 year period isn't that crazy. How many hobbies are there that are cheaper over a 7 year period? That's like a dime a day... Does anyone here golf? Hell, I went axe throwing the other day and that was $50. I'll easily do that 10 times by 2027

Jan 21, 2019
I never payed more than 42 for a year. So after 7 years it should be 294. Still a lot, but meh, I got some cool games. But definitely not worth it for my use case. I just use it for some asynchronous online games like Death Stranding and Dark Souls.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I actually save money because of Gamepass Ultimate.

I used to buy alot of games, now I usually wait for them to come to Gamepass. I rarely buy xbox games anymore.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I never pay full price. It sucks but at least we get monthly games to make up for it. Also if I want to play online with friends I have to pay it since they are not moving to pc gaming anytime soon.

Jun 10, 2018
I haven't paid full price for Xbox Live Gold in over 7 years. You can always find discounts for both Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus.

Oct 28, 2017
PS+ was great when online was free for the games. Later you even got PS3,PS4, Vita packs for insane value. Nowadays i only get it when i intent to play online regularly at a discount.

i still think online shouldn't be locked. They should find other ways to make you pay for extra games. It's a shame people didn't revolt in the early xbox days. The only time there was a chance to stop it. Maybe we get another in future but chances are slim.
Oh we had another chance to stop it. The chance was at E3 2013 and everyone blew it. But I'm to blame as much as anyone else. I fell for that trojan horse of PS Plus too. Already subbing anyway so no need to revolt. What a fool.

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
people are really bringing up the money they "saved" with ps+ discounts, do you not realize a game on ps+ discount is still sold about the same price as when the same game is on sale on other platforms?

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
I dunno about that, some of us got like 10 years worth when it was 24.99 or whatever a couple years ago on Black Friday.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i really doubt most people paid full price all this time

my last three years of gold were all on sub 10R$ deals

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Also the most I pay each year is $40. I even got two years at $25 a couple of months ago, on what I think was a price error but it worked! Currently subbed til March 2022.
Same here and since launch. Honestly, the games that came with plus have given me more than enough entertainment to make up for it. If I look at my usual metric of $1 per hour of fun, it has paid for itself in spades with the free games.

Just looking at the PS4 games list I or the family have really enjoyed Resogun, Dead Nation, Infamous, Transistor, Rocket League, Helldivers, Rebel Galaxy, The Deadly Tower of Monsters, Stories, LBP 3, ABZU, Tales from Borderlands, Life is Strange, Until Dawn, AC Freedom Cry, Deus Ex, Rime, Bloodborne, Trackmania, Rayman, Xcom 2, Destiny 2, GOW 3, Onrush, Steep, the Witness, Detroit, Wipeout, Sniper Elite, Arkham Knight, Titanfall 2. Not to mention it also gave away games I had already played on PS or PC like TLOU, Ratchet, Mad Max and Borderlands. And all this not including PS3 games for that console.

I am not a latest and greatest all the time gamer, so I always have a sizeable backlog, so to me playing something 2-3 years after release is the rule not the exception.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Y'all really buy for the monthly games that you either already have or download and never play.

I have a pen to sell to you. Yes, it's a rotten finger of a chimp, but for you it is a pen.
I don't pay for entire years or even extended periods of time in general, but the times I have had PS+ has led me to discover some of my favorite experiences of the generation. Games that I never would have played if it wasn't for PS+. You don't have to enjoy it yourself, but it's pretty condescending looking down at people for buying into these services for the games.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I paid 210 for 7 years when Sony/Amazon were offering a year for 29.99 at the launch of the console.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finally let my PS+ lapse for the first time since it launched. I think the value for the service tanked hard this past year. I don't play many online games on my PS4 anymore and the free offerings were not good compared to how cheap some of the games are in a sale.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Subscription wasn't 60 bucks to begin with, plus you can pretty easily get 12 month ps plus for 40 dollars.

And 400 dollars over 7 years are much?2019's ps plus free games are more than $400 value.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't sub when it started until they introduced free games into it and I let it lapse for a time. PS+ started at $50 and didn't hike up to $60 until years later. Pretty sure most people have gotten PS+ on sale and doubt anyone paid full price. The game offerings have been pretty lacking, so little reason to keep it.

Niaboc

Nov 2, 2017
The most I ever paid for a year of xbox live was $30 USD.
Through various deals and bing reward points I've got game pass ultimate for the next 3 years and paid nothing.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't but until it's on super discount; but yeah I like all of the perks.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
Seems fine to me. Gaming is my primary downtime hobby, and primarily I'm gaming on Xbox and PC (Switch when I'm gaming with the kid, PlayStation rarely - I had a subscription but dropped it). So the only gaming service I'm subscribed to is Game Pass Ultimate / $15 a month.

I reckon I'd game for say three hours a day, five days a week - so a dollar an hour (minus cost of hardware, peripherals and electricity...).

That's an absolute bargain as far as hobby expenditure goes as far as I'm concerned. I'll spend $3 without thinking on a cup of coffee that lasts five minutes... I'm sure not complaining about a dollar for an hour of gaming.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been paying ~25$/year for XBLG thanks to having some freinds who work for Microsoft.

At that price it's difficult to complain considering all the free games I've got over that period of time. That doesn't even include all the money I saved by converting that to gamepass for 1$ and playing a bunch of games that I would have normally paid for in some capacity.

Having said that, if I wasn't forced to pay to play online, I probably wouldn't have an Xbox live gold membership at this time. The free games/deals are not enough of a draw for even the price that I pay.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I've played well over $1,000 in Gamepass games alone already, and probably the same for regular XBLG/PS+ games. $400 for the whole generation doesn't actually seem too bad.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Last generation I didn't pay a cent for these services but Sony managed to lure me in early this gen for a year, because of free games.

And MS got me in last year through PC+Xbox Gamepass where XBL is included.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
If you paid $400 for the generation that's like paying for a whole extra console just to play online. How's that not bad?

$400 to play easily over $1,000 worth of games is a good deal in my eyes. Also, I usually only pay $40/year since they are always on sale. With Gamepass, I've paid $130 for the last two years and from now until April 2022. I started a list, and I think I'm over $1,300 in games played on that service alone. Some people don't mind paying a subscription to get a really good value on games played.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
$400 to play easily over $1,000 worth of games is a good deal in my eyes. Also, I usually only pay $40/year since they are always on sale. With Gamepass, I've paid $130 for the last two years and from now until April 2022. I started a list, and I think I'm over $1,300 in games played on that service alone. Some people don't mind paying a subscription to get a really good value on games played.

Gamepass is obviously worth but the Games with Gold? They've been mostly terrible for ages now.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
Hmm. Assume a;

Console costs $330
65" OLED TV costs $1,750
A year of game service subscription cost $180

If you gamed for 15 hours a week, over say three years (give or take a few weeks off) - that total setup is only ~$1.16 per hour.

When I look at just about any other hobby I enjoy, nothing beats the per-hour value of gaming, doesn't even come close.

--

Even if you wanted to buy a new console at launch for one game - say you're a completionist that wants to buy a theoretical God of War PS5 remastered edition;

$500 for the console
$60 for a game.
Say 55 hours of entertainment.

That's still only $10.20 an hour.

Everyone's idea of how far $1 goes will vary depending on circumstance, but again, I'd say that extreme example still equals a better hourly value than most other things I spend money on...

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
people are really bringing up the money they "saved" with ps+ discounts, do you not realize a game on ps+ discount is still sold about the same price as when the same game is on sale on other platforms?

Huh really? So discount without PS+ membership is worse than on other platforms? Lol if true

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saved more from PS Plus discounts last year than I paid for the sub. That is typical for me every year, so I'm actually saving money in addition to getting to play online and maintain access to my hundreds of PS Plus games.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to subscribe for the "free" games but I never played them so I quit a few years ago. I don't really play anything with online functionality these days either.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
The HZD rumours made me take the time to work out (roughly of course) how much I've spent on Playstation since PS1. It was quite the fucking shock :(

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I saved more from PS Plus discounts last year than I paid for the sub. That is typical for me every year, so I'm actually saving money in addition to getting to play online and maintain access to my hundreds of PS Plus games.

If PS plus didn't exist then the "Plus discount" would have probably been the normal discount anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I was able to get PSN codes on sale for most of the gen....

And I've actually played a bunch of the games

Would be awesome if it was free but I doubt that happens

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Everything really. I do play online games, I do love the PS+ discounts and sometimes the games are interesting as well.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool if it was free but then again I have bigger spending issues to worry about.