• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do You Assume Someone Sporting A Confederate Flag is Racist Off the Bat?

• Yes

Votes: 3,240 95.6%
  • No

Votes: 78 2.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 71 2.1%

• Total voters

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
The best they could be is Ignorant to the point they may as well be racist, so yes they're clearly racists.

Ditto for other people wearing symbols of hatred and slavery. That's what the confederate flag is.

These losers fucking lost too, that's the kicker!

Oct 27, 2017

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
I grew up in the southern United States, I went to high school with these people, I know them well. They are absolutely %100 racist. They will squirm like you wouldn't believe when confronted about it, but use the n word like an adjective in casual conversation if they feel they are in safe company.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The short answer is "yeah most of them" Many know what it stands for and just use the states rights/southern pride as a front. Many of them are that flavor of racism of "Im not racist, I have black friends and coworkers I respect and admire, I just think that -insert racist shit here-"

The nuanced answer is, there are people who are honestly just misguided, ignorant, and a little too proud to admit maybe they are wrong.

It doesn't necessarily mean they are bad people or racist. They just grew up being fed lies about it. On my gf's graduation cap she had a confederate flag in the background. It was subtle, just the blue bars and stars, it was meant to symbolize her being from Texas. Thats what she associated it with. Nowadays? She embarassed she ever did that and actively calls out family members who still don't see an issue with it.

I also do think there is a difference between "being a racist" "not caring about racism" and "being ignorant of racism" Many people touch upon that in this thread "Not considering themselves racist doesn't preclude them from being racist" But the thing is I'd wager this can apply to most if not all people on this site. It's a product of the systemic racism in the world. Good people can be accidentally racist without knowing.

Anyone who PROUDLY displays the confederate flag most likely falls into the camp of "actual racist" or "don't care about racism". But there are some that are just ignorant and don't know what they are doing.
being accidentally racist is still being racist though.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. I also automatically think anyone with a "Who is John Galt?" bumper sticker is a complete asshole.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That song isn't about praising George Wallace, they don't praise George Wallace at all in that song. Anyone thinking that they do has missed the point
www.npr.org

Unfurling 'Sweet Home Alabama,' A Tapestry Of Southern Discomfort

More than 40 years after its release, Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama is still one of the most recognized rock anthems celebrating the deep South. It's also a song with a complicated legacy.

Yeah, I don't buy it.

Ed King said:
I can understand where the 'boo boo boo' would be misunderstood. It's not US going 'boo' ... it's what the Southern man hears the Northern man say every time the Southern man'd say "In Birmingham we love the gov'nor". Get it? "We all did what WE could do!" to get Wallace elected. It's not a popular opinion but Wallace stood for the average white guy in the South. 'Watergate doesn't bother me' because that stuff happens in politics...but someone's conscience ought to bother them for what happened to Wallace. Arthur Bremer may or may not have been a yankee but he sure destroyed whatever chance Wallace had to be president. And hardly anyone in America noticed. I still like the plaque that hangs here in my office that says I'm an honorary member of the Alabama State Militia...signed personally by George C. Sure, the man had his flaws. But he spoke for the common man of the South. And, whoa, I'm gonna get in trouble over this whole dang post!"

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. If they still can't get it through their thick skulls as to what the Confederacy was all about, then they are absolutely racist. I get even more pissed when I see that stupid shit in states that fought for the Union (i.e. the rural parts of PA).
I was surprised, I had spent my whole life in GA, though in the Atl suburbs, then for 4 years ('11-'15) lived in Altoona, PA and the amount of Confederate flags I saw flown on the backs of trucks or those beat up old Ford/Chevy station wagons was a sight I hadn't seen down south since the late '80s - early '90s. I know it's more of a rural / suburb difference but I had guess I had this false perception that Rednecks of the north would be all Union prided or whatever lol

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Rather unlikely these people have been living under a rock or isolated from the world for decades. It's like Germans sporting a Nazi flag in their cars or houses. People should know better of what the flag represents: hatred and racism, nothing else.

BillerBomber

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I voted no. Outside of the US some people without context just consider it a cool American flag. It's a biker thing here among the guys riding American brands too.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I voted no because I think the usage is a little more complex than something like the Swastika, but after thinking about it in the 2020 context I should have voted yes. At this point with all of the public backlash there's probably something going on if you continue to fly/use it.

That being said there was definitely some innocent (ignorant) usage in the past. The Dukes of Hazzard defence has been driven into the ground, but there were a lot of regular people who simply viewed it as a regional symbol. Just look at the people who were cool with putting the symbol away once the discussion entered the mainstream and they were educated on it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also note that if 99.9% of people sporting the symbol are racist, it's a pretty fair fucking assumption to make even if there is a 0.01% who aren't. Particularly for minorities for whom this could literally end up as a matter of life and death for

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
being accidentally racist is still being racist though.
Yes. I thought I explained this better.

You can accidentally do a racist thing without realizing it. I doesn't make you A racist.

I define someone who is A racist as someone who believes a race is inferior/superior and consistently believes that.

I've definitely done or thought racist stuff accidentally. I'd bet you have have to. It's hard not to in our society.

Oct 27, 2017
Racism isn't necessarily an active thought process. Someone can be racist without any direct racist actions as long as they indirectly support and signal boost racist causes. Putting up a Confederate flag is an inherently racist action - and even someone ignorant to it's history is still pushing a racist ideology. They are racist.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
The short answer is "yeah most of them" Many know what it stands for and just use the states rights/southern pride as a front. Many of them are that flavor of racism of "Im not racist, I have black friends and coworkers I respect and admire, I just think that -insert racist shit here-"

The nuanced answer is, there are people who are honestly just misguided, ignorant, and a little too proud to admit maybe they are wrong.

It doesn't necessarily mean they are bad people or racist. They just grew up being fed lies about it. On my gf's graduation cap she had a confederate flag in the background. It was subtle, just the blue bars and stars, it was meant to symbolize her being from Texas. Thats what she associated it with. Nowadays? She embarassed she ever did that and actively calls out family members who still don't see an issue with it.

I also do think there is a difference between "being a racist" "not caring about racism" and "being ignorant of racism" Many people touch upon that in this thread "Not considering themselves racist doesn't preclude them from being racist" But the thing is I'd wager this can apply to most if not all people on this site. It's a product of the systemic racism in the world. Good people can be accidentally racist without knowing.

Anyone who PROUDLY displays the confederate flag most likely falls into the camp of "actual racist" or "don't care about racism". But there are some that are just ignorant and don't know what they are doing.
This is a very good post. People are products of their environments and unfortunately due to the history of our country, there is quite a sizeable environment that is conducive for such a blatantly racist symbol to be adopted with no issue. Throughout the years its true meaning has been obfuscated with purposefully misleading education and rhetoric. That doesnt change the fact that flying that flag in of itself is racist, though its up to the individual to come to that conclusion themselves. I think the true determining factor to find out if someone flying it is truly racist at their core and not just accidentally racist is if they decide to double down on the flag and Confederacy after having it explained in a respectful manner. Those people are not worth your time

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Yes. I also assume anyone wearing the US flag or who has it flying from their car or house is a piece of shit, too.

Giant US flag waving from the back of their stupid pick-up truck? Yes, complete racist and pos. A US flag on a house or mailbox, etc. for the past 20+ years, that's fine and we shouldn't get to the point where we're thinking that and lumping the two together.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How is there even a need to make an assumption? They're broadcasting it right there in plain view.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You can accidentally do a racist thing without realizing it. I doesn't make you A racist.

I define someone who is A racist as someone who believes a race is inferior/superior and consistently believes that.

I've definitely done or thought racist stuff accidentally. I'd bet you have have to. It's hard not to in our society.
Plenty of racists don't consciously think of minorities as inferior, but they'll go way out of their way to defend racist policies and to defend a way of life that can only exist by putting down minorities. Having racist impulses ingrained alone might not make you a racist, but only if you're willing to actually confront and question them rather than sticking your fingers in your ears and refusing to listen when anyone tries to point it out. And honestly, if anyone is still proud of the confederate flag in modern America, than even if they're "ignorant" it's only because they're actively refusing to listen

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Yes I do. I live in the rural south however so I literally see shops selling the damn thing down here. People have it on their trucks, in their yards, and walk around with tattoos of it. I'm black so they don't say anything to my face but I know enough white people to know the second black people go away things get racist as shit.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes lol. No one is that ignorant that they dont know it stands for racism. And if they deny it, they're full of shit.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is a very elementary school way of looking at racism. It's a way of looking at racism that lets you excuse racist people because, deep down, you know that's not what's in their hearts. They're good people!

Steelrain

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah pretty much. You're flying a flag of traitors that fought to protect the institution of slavery.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just say going to high school in the south was weird and that I was friendlier with certain people than I should've been, but based on certain experiences 10-15 years ago I can't fully say yes. But now, definitely yes.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
The only excuse today is being ignorant of racism which should be no longer acceptable.

It's also a reminder that the south didn't exactly "lose" the war.

Yeeeeeeeeeer

Oct 25, 2017
west coast
yes and they are trying to provoke.

just like this one idiot who wore an NRA shirt at my local gym. the heightened look in his eyes suggested to me that he was on the ready to pounce on anyone who would accost him about his wardrobe choices.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Why would you have put one up in the first place though?

I can't speak for my wife, but I've lost family members who died for this country. It's a way to honor their memory and remind me why I continue the struggle against Trump and his oppressive actions.

Our organization we proudly fly the flag in our logos/shirts/banners, its a way to take it back from the racists and nationalists.

0f2971259901af6eefa28d8b42972de2fb273636.png