dx202z

Dec 11, 2017
If language is not a barrier, I'd probably go to: Finland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, or The Netherlands. Basically good quality of life index (education, healthcare, women's rights, etc.), social democracies, gorgeous nature (for the Scandinavian ones anyway) and vibrant metal scenes.

If I'm feeling lazy about learning a new language, I'd probably favour the UK or the francophone countries, such as Belgium, France or Switzerland, however, I've heard it's notoriously difficult to emigrate to Switzerland.

Recently moved from Australia to London, getting to see a ton of metal gigs is a huge bonus. Berlin is very tempting though, just as interesting and the cost of living there is much less..

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Well

Canada
Iceland
Taiwan
Japan
South Korea

I believe it will be a little bit better, not heavenly status. Every country is because of the structure and technology is high. Two of the countries I have family in or nearby. And Four out of five seem like it will be a good example to get exposed to another culture and way of life.

That seems pretty optimistic. I've met friends' parents who came to the USA years and years ago and they were not that great with the language after all that time.

Full immersion is the keyword. That means no safety net. Not fitting in with others who speak your language to get by. Spending a possibly uncomfortable and frustrating amount of time redefining your main method of communication. I know several people who have done so, and it is very possible but is scary and takes determination.

Last edited:

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Lol. Why?

(I'm Belgian. I can see the benefits (healthcare first and foremost, and the beer and fries), but it's suchan unsexy country, and I am no fan of (most of) the people :P )

Honestly, I'm not sure. I've just heard so many great things about the country. I'm hoping to visit next March and see if what I've heard is true.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Hopefully I never need to, as currently I don't have any interest in even changing the city I live in. But if shit was about to hit the fan I'd want to go something that feels atleast somewhat familiar and where I could manage with just English, so Scandinavian countries would top my list. I won't rank them since it would require further research, but some countries I would be content to moving in are Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Canada, Netherlands and Switzerland. That's more than 5 but as I said I really can't rank them out of the blue. Visiting Japan is one of my life long dreams, but I absolutely wouldn't want to live there.

Why are other Nordic countries kicking Finland's ass so bad in this thread? What's wrong with Finland? :<

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully I never need to, as currently I don't have any interest in even changing the city I live in. But if shit was about to hit the fan I'd want to go something that feels atleast somewhat familiar and where I could manage with just English, so Scandinavian countries would top my list. I won't rank them since it would require further research, but some countries I would be contempt to moving in are Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Canada, Netherlands and Switzerland. That's more than 5 but as I said I really can't rank them out of the blue. Visiting Japan is one of my life long dreams, but I absolutely wouldn't want to live there.

Why are other Nordic countries kicking Finland's ass so bad in this thread? What's wrong with Finland? :<

My impression of Finland is that it is a bit less western than Norway and Sweden and bit more slavic or at least different to western Europeans. There's nothing wrong with that obviously but if people from western nations are looking for somewhere familiar, maybe Finland feels a bit too culturally different for comfort. Hope I haven't offended any Finns!

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
My impression of Finland is that it is a bit less western than Norway and Sweden and bit more slavic (or at least closer to Russia than the other two). There's nothing wrong with that obviously but if people from western nations are looking for somewhere familiar, maybe Finland feels a bit too culturally different for comfort. Hope I haven't offended any Finns!
No not at all offensive! I've been extremely curious recently about how people see us, I've been watching a lot of videos from travelers, exchange students and people who have moved here. And I think you might be quite right in your impression. I think it's also often at first misunderstood as rudeness that how introverted many of us seem and how direct and no nonsense people are. It's interesting stuff.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Oh this is nice

Canada
Spain
France
Switzerland
US (Blue state)

Canada is probably the best country on earth. Spain because as a Latin American my cultural roots come from there and they built a very nice country with our gold. France and Switzerland because the European life is an utopia. And the US is cool, it just has some nasty people. 40% of them.

Sadly immigration is almost impossible from a legal standpoint You'd think most countries would accept a young engineer with a postgraduate degree but nope.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
England
France
Finland
Switzerland

My girlfriend and I actually plan to move to Canada eventually. A lot of her friends have already relocated around Ontario.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Argentina
Colombia
Panama
Canada
Mexico

I wanna stay in the Americas lol. Just not Venezuela and Brazil at the moment (no offense).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...

All things being equal, like if I could adapt to the language and my earning potential / quality of life was about the same. I'd like to live in:

Ireland
Netherlands
Belgium
New Zealand
Canada, pacific northwest like Vancouver

I almost moved from the US to Ireland 10+ years ago. Had always wanted to move there, had a bad breakup, had a pretty shitty job, and thought about really rebooting everything. Ultimately I'm glad I didn't, I wouldn't have the life I have now, but it would'a been cool too. I had filled out the application for grad school at Trinity College, and I just never sent [send] with the check. IT's probably for the best I'd be fucked by debt being international and I was applying to their public policy program, so that would have done nothing for me... but, still.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No not at all offensive! I've been extremely curious recently about how people see us, I've been watching a lot of videos from travelers, exchange students and people who have moved here. And I think you might be quite right in your impression. I think it's also often at first misunderstood as rudeness that how introverted many of us seem and how direct and no nonsense people are. It's interesting stuff.

I'm from the UK and whilst we are not Scandinavian, there is obviously a link between us and Nowegians and Swedes, both in terms of geography and history. They are familiar. Finland seems so distant and (from our perspective) remote, again in terms of both geography and shared history and it isn't a nation that seems to want to thrust itself onto the world stage, like Russia does. Equally, it seems to be a peaceful place so it doesn't get in the news like Eastern Europe did after Glasnost. I guess in some ways it is a little mysterious.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Currently live in Canada and love it but if I had to move, in no order:

Japan
Holland
Sweden
Switzerland
Luxembourg

I think I'd be good in any of those

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm not sure. I've just heard so many great things about the country. I'm hoping to visit next March and see if what I've heard is true.
Haha, cool. It's not a bad country of course, and I'm sure you'll have a great time visiting it as there is a lot to see and do.

What are you planning to see? Don't be that tourist that skips Ghent (halfway between Brussels and Bruges) and misses out on a great city.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Haha, cool. It's not a bad country of course, and I'm sure you'll have a great time visiting it as there is a lot to see and do.

What are you planning to see? Don't be that tourist that skips Ghent (halfway between Brussels and Bruges) and misses out on a great city.
Definitely gonna go to Ghent! I have a buddy who studied abroad in Prague, and while over there spent a few days in Belgium. He said Ghent was his favorite city.

I just want to experience the culture, to be honest. Drink some awesome beer, eat some good food, check out some football, and just get immersed into the country.

Last edited:

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Denmark, hard to say other four. Maybe Estonia, Norway, Netherlands and Canada.

From Finland.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I live in Sweden. The UK and Ireland are two natural choices since I am originally from the UK and have Irish citizenship, these places are already 'homes' to me. My 3 other choices would be Denmark and Norway since the lifestyle and culture is similar to what I experience here in Sweden in many respects, and Germany since I have always had positive experiences there and I think culturally it's not too different to what I am familiar with.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Assuming money and health are of no consequence

Japan
New Zealand
Iceland
France
Spain

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only have one place on my list, Scotland. My reason for picking it is because I was born there and the quality of life is just much better than in England.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Live in the Netherlands. Ehhh, probably Scandinavia/Canada and France. Probably the countries I'd feel most comfortable in.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely gonna go to Ghent! I have a buddy who studied abroad in Prague, and while over there spent a few days in Belgium. He said Ghent was his favorite city.

I just want to experience the culture, to be honest. Drink some awesome beer, eat some good food, check out some football, and just get immersed into the country.

Great! Enjoy. You'll find enough places to try beer. I would avoid the really touristy bars where they boast having a lot of them though (Like Dulle Griet in Ghent, it's cool, but expensive). Basically any café or bar will have a big offering. For food: try Waterzooi and Stoofvlees. And go to a 'frietkot' at least once to eat french fries with fried snacks.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Isn't Canada like way too cold? Lol
I am thinking about moving abroad, Canada is one of the options but I am scared of Canada's weather. I hate cold man.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, and Switzerland. Any country that ranks high on the World Happiness Index is on my list. The USA just keeps falling and likely will continue to do so.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, and Switzerland. Any country that ranks high on the World Happiness Index is on my list. The USA just keeps falling and likely will continue to do so.
We're not raising our happiness index any time soon. If anything, things are gonna get way worse before they get better.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Syrian American so from my life experiences and beliefs there are three things I value and would happily go anywhere that fulfills those criteria:
  • English-speaking
  • Not religious
  • Progressive government and general population
New Zealand sounds nice.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Canada, UK, Australia, Sweden, Finland

Maybe sub Denmark or Germany.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
1. Canada - I'm a hockey fanatic and love poutine and politeness
2. Germany - Cologne felt so much like my native Pittsburgh. And I could eat döners every day.
3. France - Paris, all about that cafe life
4. Czech Republic - Prague is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Plus, Hockey.
5. Spain or Italy probably for the food, arts, and history.
Or
Somewhere in Scandinavia because beautiful and hockey.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
American here.

1. Canada
2. United Kingdom
3. Australia
4. Germany
5. Japan

Oct 25, 2017
The plan for now is Canada. That's #1-#5 for me. We'll see, but if I get a chance to move there on a work visa, I'm definitely going to try to gain citizenship and stay there.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Canada, so, in no particular order...

(ignoring issues about being far from family for now)

- Switzerland
- New Zealand
- Germany maybe?
- Scotland
- US (west coast somewhere)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
England,
Ireland,
Australia,
Japan,
Spain.

I went to London a few years ago and I loved it. I'd love to go to Australia though.