• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Perlmutter was running Marvel Studios up till 2015. Which is why we never got the Black Widow movie back then. Since he left you can see which direction Feige has been going, they've been pretty open to female leads and LGBTQ characters and actors in the MCU since Perlmutter left.

Of course it does suck that someone would tell her that. Hollywood can be pretty shitty.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Nobody is doubting her at all.
I don't think anyone is doubting the discrimination she faces or how strong she is for sticking to her guns and not folding to whatever Hollywood type said that.

There are litteraly posters on the previous page saying it's "nonsense", demanding "reciepts" and saying it's an "ass pull" she's made up to justify her career direction.

I'd assume that the quote was in regards to Blockbuster movies in general, not what anyone at Marvel said, but regardless let's not pretend people aren't doubting her. They were.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
There are litteraly posters on the previous page saying it's "nonsense", demanding "reciepts" and saying it's an "ass pull" she's made up to justify her career direction.

I'd assume that the quote was in regards to Blockbuster movies in general, but regardless let's not pretend people aren't doubting her. They were.
Ok, well fuck those guys.

That's not my stance on it

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019

I'd assume that the quote was in regards to Blockbuster movies in general, not what anyone at Marvel said, but regardless let's not pretend people aren't doubting her. They were.
There are two, maybe up to four men from the MCU who are rumored to be gay or bi. And one maybe up to three women who are lesbian or bi.

Disney is well known for keeping this stuff hush hush when actors and actresses aren't straight. Everyone can pretend Disney is this great company, allowing diversity in their films after making Black Panther, but the reality is that they and their top execs donate to Republicans who are anti-lgbtq rights, anti immigrants and anti-unions. Disney tell their actors to use beards or not discuss their love lives at all, and sell their properties to everyone. They arent the only corporation to do it, but you can see it in their history still

Dec 12, 2017

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible how half the replies are people defending Disney/Marvel from imaginary slights.

Because that's what matters.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible how half the replies are people defending Disney/Marvel from imaginary slights.

Well I mean, it's referenced in the thread title. Not sure how it can't be brought up in discussion.

Kristen seems to be finding her own path through movies atm, which is good for her. I'm glad she's been able to find decent projects as of late.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This was a good read, but i wish the title had been about her fluid sexuality and not about Marvel. Too many people reacting to the title and not the article.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Here's hoping Stewart can continue getting cool roles in movies while holding her girlfriend's hand in public.
I'd be stoked to see her in a Marvel movie.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it was just her agent saying this I'm sure it wasn't totally made up. Disney wants to protect a traditional family friendly image.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
You're the person that blanket replied "yeah, well fuck those guys".
I did. If you believe this wasn't said at all, you can fuck off. Believe women. If you need receipts, well, to me that's still pretty bad cause you're implying you don't believe her. It definitely reads like it was some random Hollywood exec, but the problem is the thread title has everyone focused on the wrong thing

I didn't want this to be a marvel hate train. That doesn't mean I don't believe what she said or I need receipts

Like, can the mods change the title or something?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping Stewart can continue getting cool roles in movies while holding her girlfriend's hand in public.
I'd be stoked to see her in a Marvel movie.
Marvel isn't great to its critically acclaimed women in roles where they're frequently sidelined, damseled, kept in perpetual second banana status or killed outright. I hope she's never cast in a cape film I'm tired of seeing absolutely squandered talent.

Dec 12, 2017
I did. If you believe this wasn't said at all, you can fuck off. Believe women. If you need receipts, well, to me that's still pretty bad cause you're implying you don't believe.

If you actually took the time to ACTUALLY read what I quoted, agreed with and responded to
(It'snot that hard, it's one page back) , you would see that I wanted receipts on who said it, not whether or not it was said. I literally snipped the part of the poster's quote to focus on what I was responding to.

So as I said before, FOH with trying to imply otherwise.

And as to your "fuck off", yeah, ok, right, bud.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
You guys reAlize that Disney bring gay friendly now doesn't erase the very real threat to lgbt individuals in the last 100 years of the film industry, correct?

K Stewart is a millennial and saw the transition firsthand.

Gay marriage was only legalized in the USA five years ago.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The thread topic is a complete paraphrase from an unspecified source, aka a second-hand anecdote. Honest question: What would you like to discuss?

- Society is weird/backward about such things. Totally agreed, that sucks.
- Marvel seems to be good about it. Yeah, seems like it for the most part.

Okay, now how would you like the discourse on this topic to continue?

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Why is this thread mostly replies about explaining why Marvel isn't anti-LGBT instead of the discrimination K-Stew has had to deal with which is what the article is about?

Marvel isn't the victim here.

Because the title of the thread directly frames her experience around Marvel.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
If people want to click around a little it becomes clear that the broader context here is tied up in how hollywood in general (including Marvel) deals non-het relationships IRL a bad hand, and is really, really bad at exploring women's sexuality in particular:

Kristen Stewart says that mainstream cinema needs to start portraying women as "sexual beings". The actress argues that male sexual experiences are commonly represented on screen, but there is either little truth to the way women's sexuality is depicted, or that it's not seen at all.

"Right now, I'm so aware of the fact that we've watched, cinematically, men and their way into their bodies and do physical things that feel fundamental to this male perspective," she told Mastermind, as reported on by People. In every coming of age story we see about a young girl, even if it's the truest, most sincere thing, what's lacking is the physical honesty of actual female experience and the way we discover our bodies. It's like we're scared of using certain words."

Her sharing the quote she heard from an old agent is a logical step from her advocacy for films to do better. Clickbait dot com and whatever other websites picked the juicy Marvel headline and now it's gotten us a thread beshitted with "BUT TESSA" and "LOL TWILIGHT" nonsense.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Why are people up in arms defending a faceless corporation in the business of selling toys to children.

Well the quote makes one naturally wonder if this was something she had actually heard from some Marvel representative. If that was the case, people would rightfully be chastising the faceless corporation. I don't think it's odd that people are discussing whether that was the case or not.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
If you actually took the time to ACTUALLY read what I quoted, agreed with and responded to
(It'snot that hard, it's one page back) , you would see that I wanted receipts on who said it, not whether or not it was said. I literally snipped the part of the poster's quote to focus on what I was responding to.

So as I said before, FOH with trying to imply otherwise.
Bruh.

All you're telling me is that if someone at Marvel did say this you would need receipts before you believed her. But since it is some faceless no name exec it's easier to ignore and therefore no receipts needed? Congrats, I guess?
And as to your "fuck off", yeah, ok, right, bud.
We can keep going. Believe me, I can get a lot more colorful
I mean this is an LGBTQ issue though.
Believe LGBTQ? Would that have been a better phrase? Meant no offense

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Do yourself a favor, don't come out of the closet, it will be better for your career, and maybe you'll get a Marvel movie" is the kind of thing that could technically have been said by Marvel executives, but it could also have been said by a clueless agent, or it could have been said by a friend of Kristen's, or it could have even been said by her parents. Pretty much the only person who couldn't have said it would be Kristen's girlfriend (unless Kristen's GF likes talking about herself in the third person).

Since Kristen isn't saying who said it, it doesn't really matter who said it, it just matters that things like that get said, which is unfortunate, yet entirely believable, and is something we need to stay mindful of.

Dec 12, 2017
Bruh.

All you're telling me is that if someone at Marvel did say this you would need receipts before you believed her. But since it is some faceless no name exec it's easier to ignore and therefore no receipts needed? Congrats, I guess?

Bruh, it's clear as day I didn't say anything that your head canon seems to have created for you to be able to double down on being WRONG. It's amusing how you can't just take the L, acknowledge you didn't properly read my post and move on.

It's ok.

This isn't my first time on the internet with people that exhibit such behavior. 🙂

We can keep going. Believe me, I can get a lot more colorful

Yeah, ok, right.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Why is this thread mostly replies about explaining why Marvel isn't anti-LGBT instead of the discrimination K-Stew has had to deal with which is what the article is about?

Marvel isn't the victim here.

Case in point....

Yeah, no self-reflection at all lol.

Marvel can do no wrong...I mean have you SEEN the latest D23 panel!!??

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Bruh, it's clear as day I didn't say anything that your head canon seems to have created for you to be able to double down on being WRONG. It's amusing how you can't just take the L, acknowledge you didn't properly read my post and move on.

It's ok.

This isn't my first time on the internet with people that exhibit such behavior. 🙂
If you say so man. It's all there in your posts.
I love how you think this is some big smite. You just seem scared

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
She's clearly saying this came from people offering career advice and this didn't come directly from Marvel. So the rabid defense force that needs to prove that their cartoon movies are impressive because after a decade they have 2 openly queer people is both weird and a bit embarrassing.

Even more embarrassing are people saying that the woman who's won a Cesar and continues to work with incredibly important directors somehow has a career that's falling apart. I sometimes forget the bubble of mainstream art many people in here live in where the numbers of ticket sales seem to frequently drive the discussion more than the quality of the piece.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
No offense taken, just thought that phrase didn't fit the context. :)
Ok, cool 👊🏽
That's LITERALLY what I just said, all along while you keep creating fanfic vs. what I ACTUALLY posted.

What in the blue hell would i be scared of? You getting more "colorful"? Oh no! Not that!
We're at the point where this is going in circles. Fuck you, fuck me, yadda yadda. I bet you're turning red. If you want to sling some more insults PM me and I'll happily indulge an asshole like you. Otherwise we're just shitting up the thread

Dec 12, 2017
Ok, cool 👊🏽

We're at the point where this is going in circles. Fuck you, fuck me, yadda yadda. I bet you're turning red. If you want to sling some more insults PM me and I'll happily indulge an asshole like you. Otherwise we're just shitting up the thread

No, YOU are the only one that said, "Fuck You". I never said "Fuck you". I also haven't insulted you. Not even once. It's all here in the thread for anyone to see.

More fanfic.

And LOL @ the message equivalent of "meet me outside" in the form of "PM me, man!"

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of surprising considering Hollywood is generally LGBT friendly for the most part. I mean her career image has only been helped since coming out and talking about this. Then again her image needed quite a bit of rehab after weird shit like having an affair with Sanders, and constant rumors about her being a not nice person, so I'm sure she was getting all sorts of "advice".

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Gross. I'm glad she gave that advice exactly as much regard as it deserves. People like Kristen Stewart, Ezra Miller, Ruby Rose, and Billy Porter are the future. Sex and gender norms should always be secondary to authentic self-expression.

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
"You might get a Marvel movie" is the new end goal for actors today.

Good on her though, fuck anyone that says that.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marvel wasn't always woke n hip. Even in 2011 they publicly shot down the idea of a Black Panther movie because Wakanda would be too unrealistic for audiences *insert eyeroll*.

I'm glad Kristen said fuck that noise.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
No, YOU are the only one that said, "Fuck You". I never said "Fuck you". I also haven't insulted you. Not even once. It's all here in the thread for anyone to see.

More fanfic.

And LOL @ the message equivalent of "meet me outside" in the form of "PM me, man!"
Wow...
someone just told that to her. not anyone attached to disney/marvel.
Yep, cause I would want to see receipts to the otherwise.
Is this not what you said? Do you not see how that comes off as shady?? Cause if you mean it, yes, go fuck off. But let's keep going. Here I am, in a conversation with another poster
Ok, well fuck those guys.

That's not my stance on it
Where I am clearly saying I don't stand with the doubters, and yes, fuck those guys. That's where you came in with your favorite catch phrase

I'm thinking at this point you don't realize how problematic what you said was
And then when I say again, clarifying my stance even further
I did. If you believe this wasn't said at all, you can fuck off. Believe women. If you need receipts, well, to me that's still pretty bad cause you're implying you don't believe her. It definitely reads like it was some random Hollywood exec, but the problem is the thread title has everyone focused on the wrong thing
This is what you said, and you're still not getting it
you would see that I wanted receipts on who said it, not whether or not it was said.
So then I tell you what the issue is
Do you not realize you said if it was someone at Marvel Studios you'd be more inclined to want proof? Do you not know how fucked up that is? In that context, it shouldn't matter if it was an actual exec at Marvel or not. It's easy to see how people see posts like that and think people are doubting her, because it seems people are more interested in protecting Disney/Marvel than talking about the article

Many people in this thread rescinded their statements or clarified their intentions. You're the one who can't seem to realize what you said was fucked up

Oct 27, 2017
Tessa's bi, but when she was rumored to be dating Janelle you really wouldn't see them together outside of events that they both attended. Kristen is regularly photographed on the street holding hands and kissing her girlfriend. There's no question that they're together, unlike with Janelle and Tessa. Which seems to be Kristen's point as far as don't make your relationship so public.
Some people also just don't want their business public. There could be a number of reasons why the Tessa and Janelle weren't seen in public together much

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
By gosh, my favorite brand would never say this!!

I kinda checked out on Kristen Stewart after (during?) Twilight and some shlocky horror flick with her starring, but I hear she's been doing interesting stuff lately. Should give that a look. Wild how both she and Pattinson managed to outgrow those awful movies. That's a feat.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Some people also just don't want their business public. There could be a number of reasons why the Tessa and Janelle weren't seen in public together much

Definitely, that wasn't meant to be a knock on Tessa or Janelle. I was just pointing out that a difference between Tessa and Janelle's relationship and Kristen's is that Kristen is regularly photographed showing affection toward her girlfriend. And what she's claiming is that she was told that was hurting her chances of getting a Marvel deal. That's why pointing at Tessa's sexuality doesn't really disprove what Kristen is saying.

Dec 12, 2017

Wow, indeed.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I do applaud you for channeling all that "You wanna go? PM me, braaah" energy into penning more of your own imagined scenarios, not proving I ever said "Fuck You" and/or insulting you.

Also, it's interesting that you seem to be the only one here incapable of reading what I actually wrote and interpreting it correctly. Pretty sure everyone else reading all this sees exactly what I said/meant.

Literally no one but you is hung up on my post. Think about that for a second.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's not a Disney thing it's just commenting on Hollywood and something her agent probably told her