Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sure would be nice if we could get some low/mid-tier cards with great power efficiency again. Nvidia just outright doesn't offer those with the 3000 series.

My 1660 Super is a cool 125W. An RTX 3060 is 170W, and one of their best bang/bucks cards, the 3060TI, is 200W.

I don't mind so much, that the top models consume a lot of power, though I'm also not exactly a fan of it, but that the overall design/architecture means that the lower cards consume relatively much still, that's really bad.

If I were to get a ~125W card from Nvidia, I'd be looking at a 3050, which is apparently a side-grade. So, more or less literally no progress for power efficiency with those cards.

The 1660 Super offered both the best price-performance ratio and power efficiency and was a 230€ (or 200€ on the sale I got it) card. Now the 3060ti or so is that but at 470€+ in Germany right now. That's whack.

I am also from Germany and wanted to finally build myself a PC again once my tax return comes in. Looks like the money is finally coming but those GPU prices are still dumb. I wanted to get a 3060 TI.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
I've been holding out with this 680 for ~10 years ish, I can keep going :P
Amen. Rocking a 670 myself. It's getting g to the point where new games won't launch, but I've been going through the backlog after cleaning my GPU since I have decent temps again lol.

I just hope I'll actually be able to get a 4070 or something at MSRP.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
A rumor appeared today that 4090 is 66% faster than a 3090Ti, in synthetic benchmarks... that number is great, and kinda (but not really) justifies the power draw.

But they are fucked, there is a surplus of cards in the market now.

HOLD.

The latest 4090 sample was 30% faster in time spy, which is still a big leap.

Not 66%.

Nov 4, 2017
navarricos-navarros.gif

With a PS5 and a baby keeping me busy, my PC isnt getting much use anyway and I'm mostly using it for indies, retro and Paradox games. I can easily hold out to stick it to the GPU manufacturers. My RX580 will get me by. I'll probably go AMD again though as I am a Linux user.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
My 11 year old 2600K and 5 year old 1070ti still play wow just fine lol.

Oddly, I'm in the same boat.

My bread & butter genres are management/simulation/strategy and just budget indies overall.

So my ancient GTX 1080 handles RimWorld, Factorio, Project Zomboid, etc. @ 120fps just fine, lol.

Jul 26, 2018

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
My GTX 980, this absolute WARRIOR, is still going strong

I'm still able to play pretty much anything in my old ass rig in 1080p, so I'm not in that big of a rush

I'm planning in upgrading next year, hopefully by then the 4000 series will be already out and I also hope the prices keep improving until then

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Wattage is getting scary with the past two generations. 600+ watts for a card is loony tunes.
I have a 850w old corsair, but my computer is getting kinda bonkers in peripherals, all Sata's are being used, all USB, PCI Sound Card, all the fans it could get, etc. I fear it not will be able to handle a 4090 / 4090Ti + Intel or AMD combo...

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
What settings do you reckon a $229 $299 RDNA3 GPU can bear at 1440p?

edit: $299 is a better target given the current prices
I tend to play games at 1080p since that is what my monitor is. At this point my current setup is struggling to run DQ11 and FF7r. So thats my target. I don't know what is out there but I know that 3050s should be fine but im not buying one for $300, sorry.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh well look at that. My RTX2080 Super is going for below its purchase price again.

Man that was a bizarre time indeed. Don't think I can ever recall a GPU appreciating on me like that. It would have been a trap to sell it for profit and not be able to replace it, but it was funny to think about for a time.

I sold my 2070 Super last year well above it's MSRP…but ended paying way above MSRP for a 3080 ti to replace.

So i have been sucked…

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not buying until I can get a 3060 for under $200. I paid $150 for my current 1060. I can wait.

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022
I want the 4080 to upgrade from a 2080. I usually do 2 gen upgrades.

same boat here, except with a 2080 Super i snatched at the end of March 2020, which is crazy lucky lmfao

i'm honestly really happy with the 2080 Super in terms of 1080p/1440p performance, but I do find it somewhat limited in terms of 4k in either flagship titles with super high settings (RDR 2 almost maxed but except for AA and Water Physics lol, CP2049 w/ all RT, etc) or newer titles just pushing the hardware more (Dying Light 2 is one that runs pretty damn bad with RT at 4k, and Forza Horizon 5 is beautifully put together but I can't push it all the way like I could with FH4 on the 2080S)

just excited to cross over into the realm of that level of performance (hopefully!), holding off on doing another playthrough of RDR2, this time w/ my partner, to be able to get that experience out of it.

Jul 26, 2018
I tend to play games at 1080p since that is what my monitor is. At this point my current setup is struggling to run DQ11 and FF7r. So thats my target. I don't know what is out there but I know that 3050s should be fine but im not buying one for $300, sorry.
Agreed, $300 for a 3050 feels like too much. I mean, in my mind the X050 cards are budget cards and for me budget < $200

In any case, with the state of the economy and the world, maybe I'll just try and grab an RNDA3 7060 at launch if I can... assuming it's <$320 cause rumors said there could be a price bump :|

I haven't played on PC for such a long time that I can't decide whether I want to prioritize 1080p at the highest setting or 1440p at lower settings.

Oct 28, 2017
I originally bought my 5700xt planning to keep it for only a year or two. Then the pandemic happened, super glad I upgraded late 2019.

Looking at GPU prices right now and definitely have an itch to upgrade. I'm in a unique spot where my PSU can support the rumoured 4000 series draw but can also wait on a 3000 series GPU (same goes for AMD).

Just feels like less than projected demand + current PC owners not able to handle the new required draw + inflation/recession - something's gotta give.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I went from a 970 to a 3070 a while after it launched (and stepped it up to 3080). I'm good for at least until the 5000 series.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
HOLD!

After total madness for 2 years, retailers, dustributors, and miners derserve to sweat with large inventories. Their cards should rot until prices are dirt cheap.

My 1080ti is still fine, I'm hoping for sane prices for RTX40/RDNA3.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly Nvidia is always greedy with their VRAM so the 3070, 3070 ti, 3080 and 3080 Ti sadly won't be very good in the mid to long run.
...I mean, the 3070/3070ti/3080/3080Ti are still slightly more powerful than PS5s and Series Xs which will be the baseline for most games for at least another 4 or 5 years. The 40 series being a notable step up isn't going to change that. So yes, a 30 series card will no question be fine for at least 4 years unless you're the kind of person who wants 4k ultra settings on every single game they play no matter what.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the 4000 series crashes and burns tbh. Assuming it does up power draw and aims to keep prices high.
The opposite of that please.

I agree. That power draw is ridiculous. Just a few generations ago, they were beating AMD in performance and efficiency! Now they're releasing these power hogs that probably require exotic cooling.

Seriously, can you imagine what is needed to keep these fuckers cool? The heat that's coming out of it will probably boil your room in the summer. I can imagine the chip not performing as well if it constantly overheats if the cooling isn't sufficient.

Sure would be nice if we could get some low/mid-tier cards with great power efficiency again. Nvidia just outright doesn't offer those with the 3000 series.

My 1660 Super is a cool 125W. An RTX 3060 is 170W, and one of their best bang/bucks cards, the 3060TI, is 200W.

I hope whatever their next 1660 Super equivalent is under 150w. I feel like we shouldn't accept slow power creep on similar-ish class cards. Like I hope their 4060 draw more like 120w or something. Though I think a 4060 probably isn't the same class as a 1660 Super. The 1600x cards are in a weird place. Maybe their 4050 TI is a better comparison?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I love my 2070 Super. Still plays games fine in max setting (except Flight Sim).

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. That power draw is ridiculous. Just a few generations ago, they were beating AMD in performance and efficiency! Now they're releasing these power hogs that probably require exotic cooling.
That's because AMD isn't far behind anymore, and both push the envelope trying to be the performance king.
That being said I don't expect 40 series to actually consume more power than 30 series does. Some stupid 4090Ti down the road maybe but not the rest.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I just built a PC with a 3080 Ti like a month ago. I read people talking about waiting but I haven't been a PC gamer in 10 years and I really couldn't wait. Besides, I only play single player games at 60 fps so I figured the 3080 Ti would last me a while. I am hoping till at least the end of the current console generation.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
That's because AMD isn't far behind anymore, and both push the envelope trying to be the performance king.

People keep saying this, but this is absolutely not true.

The first card that was powerful and efficient was the GTX 750 TI. That was their very first Maxwell chip. The 750 TI was competing with the HD 7850 and rebranded RX 260x. The latter is slightly less efficient, the the HD 7800. The GTX 600 and HD7000/RX200 we're trading blows during that time with good back and forth between the two companies. Nvidia didn't completely trounce AMD until Maxwell was out.

www.tomshardware.com

GeForce GTX 750 Ti Review: Maxwell Adds Performance Using Less Power

Now that Nvidia is designing graphics architectures with Tegra in mind, first and foremost, efficiency takes priority. Can the company's mainstream GeForce GTX 750 Ti, based on its Maxwell architecture, prove that an eye on energy trumps the old approach?

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sticking to my 4-series or bust, full rebuild upgrade path from my 2080TI/9700K, so I'm good to go.

That combo has really been wonderful for me, all things considered. Still does everything I need it to do aside from peak-end VR, so I'm in no rush.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I just built a PC with a 3080 Ti like a month ago. I read people talking about waiting but I haven't been a PC gamer in 10 years and I really couldn't wait. Besides, I only play single player games at 60 fps so I figured the 3080 Ti would last me a while. I am hoping till at least the end of the current console generation.
With PC gaming there's always something newer and better around the corner. Even with new GPU's the 3080ti will still play the latest games for years to come

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
Please guys, they made enough money in the last 2 years to swim in profits, I had to break in Feb 2021 because I was already waiting 6 months without a GPU and paid 800€ for a 3070.

Please guys, HODL !!

logash

Oct 27, 2017
With PC gaming there's always something newer and better around the corner. Even with new GPU's the 3080ti will still play the latest games for years to come
I hope so. I spent a lot of money on this thing! Although, correct me if I'm wrong but the MSRP of the 3080 Ti was $1200 at the time and I paid $1000 so at least I didn't go over.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm still rocking a 1080 card and would like to upgrade someday. Maybe I'll get a killer deal eventually. I can wait it out

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying this, but this is absolutely not true.

The first card that was powerful and efficient was the GTX 750 TI. That was their very first Maxwell chip. The 750 TI was competing with the HD 7850 and rebranded RX 260x. The latter is slightly less efficient, the the HD 7800. The GTX 600 and HD7000/RX200 we're trading blows during that time with good back and forth between the two companies. Nvidia didn't completely trounce AMD until Maxwell was out.

www.tomshardware.com

GeForce GTX 750 Ti Review: Maxwell Adds Performance Using Less Power

Now that Nvidia is designing graphics architectures with Tegra in mind, first and foremost, efficiency takes priority. Can the company's mainstream GeForce GTX 750 Ti, based on its Maxwell architecture, prove that an eye on energy trumps the old approach?
So it is true then?
Maxwell, Pascal and Turing (to a lesser degree) were generations where Nvidia didn't went for the highest possible consumption tier because there were simply no need - AMD couldn't compete on it. They were the fastest, period, even at 200-250W.
With RDNA2 AMD has improved their perf/watt significantly, to a point where Nvidia had to use higher power tiers to remain "the fastest". And this is one reason why we're getting 450W cards now - we wouldn't be if there would still be no competition in the top end segment.
Another reason is of course the significant slowing down of silicon improvements (in costs, power and size) which means that to continue provide performance improvements all chip vendors are pushing up the power envelope. It's happening everywhere right now not just in GPUs.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Agreed, $300 for a 3050 feels like too much. I mean, in my mind the X050 cards are budget cards and for me budget < $200

In any case, with the state of the economy and the world, maybe I'll just try and grab an RNDA3 7060 at launch if I can... assuming it's <$320 cause rumors said there could be a price bump :|

I haven't played on PC for such a long time that I can't decide whether I want to prioritize 1080p at the highest setting or 1440p at lower settings.
Yeah, i guess I could have been more specific when I said 'decent' or whatever. I had a 4k monitor but it was on the smaller side and I honestly could barely tell the difference between 1080 and 4k while on my Series X, so for a PC I just want high framerate @ 1080p.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
3000 series MSRP was priced accordingly for what you got, you need to read the specs and not the card name which is what era kept doing with the 3000 series.
I don't understand this argument. The naming is there to keep the cards comparable, otherwise why not create a new naming scheme if you're not supposed to compare the different generations of cards? Not to mention that they completely killed the sub-$200 SKU and bumped the lowest tier up to a nice 249, which gets you an RTX 3050 compared to the 149 for the GTX 1050 Ti and 1650. What about that is "priced accordingly"? It's not like the 3050 is an amazing card for its price. It only looks somewhat decent because AMD flubbed it even worse.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this argument. The naming is there to keep the cards comparable, otherwise why not create a new naming scheme if you're not supposed to compare the different generations of cards? Not to mention that they completely killed the sub-$200 SKU and bumped the lowest tier up to a nice 249, which gets you an RTX 3050 compared to the 149 for the GTX 1050 Ti and 1650. What about that is "priced accordingly"? It's not like the 3050 is an amazing card for its price. It only looks somewhat decent because AMD flubbed it even worse.
Take it up with nvidia marketing. What I'm saying is price to perf is better for 3060 and up. It's telling you had to go down to a non gaming card to find flubs.

I've got no horse in this race but people need to realize what they're buying and paying for.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been rocking a GTX 1050TI for the last several years waiting patiently for the prices to drop on these cards so I can upgrade.
I got that thing many years ago for a great deal with a number of free games and it has held up for what I need it for but a lot of games now I struggle with.

I almost pulled the trigger on a GTX3060TI the other day for 550$CAD which seemed super cheap but I think the prices will keep falling so I will hold out a little bit longer.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
After impatiently waiting 2.5 years to upgrade I broke 3 months ago and bought a 3090 for a little over MSRP. Felt shitty but I love PC gaming and needed a new card badly (never had RT before, was on 1080). So yeah hold as long as you can! Wish I would have just a tiny bit longer lol

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
So it is true then?
Maxwell, Pascal and Turing (to a lesser degree) were generations where Nvidia didn't went for the highest possible consumption tier because there were simply no need - AMD couldn't compete on it. They were the fastest, period, even at 200-250W.
With RDNA2 AMD has improved their perf/watt significantly, to a point where Nvidia had to use higher power tiers to remain "the fastest". And this is one reason why we're getting 450W cards now - we wouldn't be if there would still be no competition in the top end segment.
Another reason is of course the significant slowing down of silicon improvements (in costs, power and size) which means that to continue provide performance improvements all chip vendors are pushing up the power envelope. It's happening everywhere right now not just in GPUs.

For this to be true, they would have needed to know whatever that came after the RX 200 series couldn't compete. Maxwell came out as a low-power entry-level chip first. By Pascal and Turing, sure, they knew, but not from the beginning. Maxwell was a gamble. Why did you think the first Maxwell was an entry-level card?

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope I can buy a 4090 by the end of this year. Need something to write off for my taxes and crunch some delicious ML tasks.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
For this to be true, they would have needed to know whatever that came after the RX 200 series couldn't compete. Maxwell came out as a low-power entry-level chip first. By Pascal and Turing, sure, they knew, but not from the beginning. Maxwell was a gamble. Why did you think the first Maxwell was an entry-level card?
What gamble? They have improved their perf/watt with Maxwell and by the time they were launching high end Maxwell products everyone knew that AMD won't be able to compete at the same power level. If they'd be capable to you would have probably seen >300W products then and not with RDNA2/Ampere.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
My intention was to hold out, but Amazon had a gift card offer for signing up for their Amazon card, I got $100 gift card from work, there was an open box 3070 on Amazon for $490, and 1080's are still going for $250+ on eBay. Getting a 3070 for essentially free means it's a good time to buy for me.

And should I decide to get a 4000 series card, I'd be able to leverage a resell of a 3070 to get one cheaper.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Take it up with nvidia marketing. What I'm saying is price to perf is better for 3060 and up. It's telling you had to go down to a non gaming card to find flubs.

I've got no horse in this race but people need to realize what they're buying and paying for.
The reason I mentioned the 3050 is because I've been looking to replace the 1050 Ti in my HTPC for a while now and there's nothing comparable out there. The 3050 costs at least 299€ while consuming 130W vs 75W and being slower than the three year old 2060. It's about on par with the even older GTX 1070.

As for calling a GPU for 249 MSRP a "non-gaming card", that kinda proves the point now, doesn't it?