• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
People seem to forget when thinking about the two term limit that a President who loses reelection could run again at a later date. Carter and Bush 41 could have run again if they wanted to over all these years, but never did. Maybe people don't think of his scenario probably because it's so rare for an incumbent to lose reelection. And it has happened before. Grover Cleveland won in 1884, lost in 1888, and won a non-consecutive term in 1892. Then you also have scenarios not involving incumbents like Nixon losing in 1960 and running and winning in 1968, or Adlai Stevenson running twice in a row and losing to Ike (the last decent Republican).

Could this scenario happen with Trump? Trump will be 78 in 2024, one year older than Biden is now. Trump's health will be a factor though given his obesity and other issues. And he could very well be in jail by 2024. But assuming Trump stays healthy and out of jail, I would say there's a small chance he runs in 2024, especially if he loses a close election in 2020. It would be less likely if he loses "bigly" as we hope. He has firmly established a cult among the 40 percent, and it's unclear how they will react to his loss or who they will follow. There are other options like Nikki Haley, Mike Pence, or maybe Ted Cruz, but they seem like duds for the most part, and again, they don't have a built-in cult. I think if Trump wants the nomination again, he would have a good shot at it, but it's unclear if he would want to run again. He may be busy with Trump News Network, tweeting, and golfing (not much different than now to be honest), or his frail ego may be crushed by his loss.

Thoughts or Trump running again or who might win the nomination should be lose this year?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If he loses he'd do what he wanted to do in the first place: become King Troll of the universe, a constant thorn in the opposition's side, basking in the love, adulation and outrage of his cult with the weight of anything resembling accountability, responsibility or expectations permanently lifted from his head.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I think it's more likely one of his kids will try, and he'll kind of take over the campaign and be the face of it. It will fail spectacularly though, because his kids have zero charisma.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
000.gif

Trump reading this thread...thanks OP!

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
He'll probably be dead by then I'd imagine. Heart attack or something. You know the grim reaper is following that orange bastard around all day.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Repubs wouldn't back him twice. He's despised in private, but they have to submit to him in public.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What makes you think he'll leave the white house just because he loses an election?

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
He won't lose but he won't run either

He will be busy reaping all the benefits of the deals he got during his presidency

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't know whether he will or not, but you know he'll never shut up about it until he confirms one way or the other.

Honestly, I hope he does keep talking about it whether he runs or not - if he loses I really do not want people to come away from it thinking "Trump's gone, we good!" and go back to not giving two flying shits about politics.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible, he'll be 77 by then. Joe Biden is 77, Bernie Sanders is 78.

I certainly hope not though. I hope that him losing will wake up a lot of the GOP and realize "Hey this guy was a horrible idea" and do everything they can to block him from the nomination.

Jul 18, 2018
I think he already solidified his presence and image with his supporters. He probably wouldn't want to break that again by running for president, probably can use that in his benefit for a job that is easier and gets him paid more. While he can use the image he has to spew more shit against others and still "save" his image with his followers. The endorsement $ he will charge will make him get even more income

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
At his age and health he would be lucky to be alive by 2024.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
If he loses in November, the GOP is going to implode and have to rebuild from the ground up.
Losing incumbency means I don't think that rebuilding process involves him.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Stress?

Have you read about his actual schedule? He mostly watches TV, barely reads reports, and takes tons of golfing weekends.

Good point, though the stress for Trump comes not from working, but from watching cable news and realizing that outside of his Fox News bubble, everyone knows he's a fraud doing a horrible job. And that gets him to rage tweet and be angry, which isn't good for his health.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
I don't know how he's even alive now on a diet of hamberders, with no exercise and the stress of the presidency. I'm guessing he will be.

The slim chance he does get relected, I have a feeling he'd end up dead while being President .. Most presidents seem to age visibily in office (Bush, Obama) due to the stress, given Trumps age, his lifestyle and generally being a mean hateful prick, if he ever was re-elected, I see his life expectancy dropping hard and his job isnt gonna get easier with the way he's creating all this strife.

edit - ^ disregard my post, i forgot he doesnt actually do anything that most presidents do.

May 25, 2019
London
If Biden wins, the dirt on his tax returns will come out.

That's what all of this "they're both the same!" people don't realize. You want Trump in jail? You gotta vote Biden in November.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I think it's likely he'll either be in prison or not healthy enough to run, but even if neither of those things happens, GOP won't back him again.