• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
If there was a God, wouldn't all the horrible things of this world be our fault since we're all assholes? How many of us actually dedicate our lives to helping the poor or sick? I honestly think a God would owe us nothing since we suck as a species.

Yes humanity has a lot to answer for, but there are also a great deal of things that have caused suffering and misery totally outside our control God would be on the hook for.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God supposedly has an infinite amount of possible things he could be doing. It's quite egotistic for religious folks to believe that a being like God's time revolves around humanity. Yeah a being with unlimited potential spends all his time worrying whether you're masturbating or kneeling to him. Btw the purpose of kneeling was so kings felt safer around peasants, because you can't run at a king and stab him if you're on your knees. Doubt god would care if you knelt before him or not.

But yeah if god really did prove himself then I would leave my atheism behind and go full blown christian.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
First, you make the assumption that everyone in the world has had a classical American education. I guarantee you most people in China have little to no idea who Lincoln is, just like you don't know how many dynasties there were in Chinese history. So that's immediately ~1 billion people out of 7 billion who wouldn't be sure of the existence of Lincoln.

Second, there are more people who follow the Bible/Torah/Qu'ran than people who have memorized their Presidents, so if we're leaning on popular consensus then the Judeo-Christian God has more of a claim over minds than Lincoln.

So once again I must ask, on what terms can something be said to have "existed"?

not playing this game with you pal. Have a nice day.

OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
The bible is not one document. It's a collection of dozens of different documents that were voted on by the Church as to whether or not they were the divinely inspired word of God.

Some stuff got in, some stuff did not.

Yes I know about the Dead Sea Scrolls , Ethiopian Bible , Book of Enoch, Book of Jubilees and more

I think the Bible has great tales the book of giants is my favorite

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How would I know he's god and not just some alien who's learned about our stupid religions and is having a big laugh with all his other alien friends at our expense?

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that the Christian god demanded us to blindly believe in him using nothing but faith. If we didn't, we'd go to hell. So, if he did show up, wouldn't we be screwed big league anyways?

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there was a God, wouldn't all the horrible things of this world be our fault since we're all assholes? How many of us actually dedicate our lives to helping the poor or sick? I honestly think a God would owe us nothing since we suck as a species.

God made us and is in control of everything except of course gun control which is all a bit hard and has to be delegated out.

So don't blame us if god didn't know what it was doing.

Oct 25, 2017
How would I know he's god and not just some alien who's learned about our stupid religions and is having a big laugh with all his other alien friends at our expense?
Then we should probably worship that alien lol

Yes I know about the Dead Sea Scrolls , Ethiopian Bible , Book of Enoch, Book of Jubilees and more

I think the Bible has great tales the book of giants is my favorite
I've read better manga tbh

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would want to ask him why nobody has gotten into the good place for 500 years. If the answer is satisfactory though, I would worship him.

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised by the answers. So, even if a God were to "prove" himself to you, you still wouldn't follow him/change how you live? You would risk hell?

allegedly i'm already going there for not being straight enough, so all i'd be getting was the removal of some uncertainty

actually i'd probably die as the target of a crusade, so maybe i'd give pretending a shot for a while lol

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I would want to ask him why nobody has gotten into the good place for 500 years. If the answer is satisfactory though, I would worship him.

XS5LK.gif

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
not playing this game with you pal. Have a nice day.
Aw man.
God supposedly has an infinite amount of possible things he could be doing. It's quite egotistic for religious folks to believe that a being like God's time revolves around humanity. Yeah a being with unlimited potential spends all his time worrying whether you're masturbating or kneeling to him. Btw the purpose of kneeling was so kings felt safer around peasants, because you can't run at a king and stab him if you're on your knees. Doubt god would care if you knelt before him or not.
Don't shame God for His hobbies. Ever played a Civ/God game? A sufficiently advanced God game is indistinguishable from being a God.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Do they really exist, or is it just popular consensus that they exist? Is the past a place you can walk to and visit, if not, where do they exist except inside memory?

Considering there is literally zero eyewitness historical proof for the existence of Jesus of Nazareth, this is probably not the route to take if you're rooting for the Big Guy via what I can only describe as "lack of lack of evidence."

Other people wrote about Genghis Khan and Alexander the Great during their lifetimes. Most historical figures of note have corroborating accounts that clearly show they were real people that other people were aware of, talked about, and made art in response to. That's not even including the ones who wrote works themselves. Nobody doubts that these people were real.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I wouldn't follow if it's the same god that is in the Bible. Too many things I disagree with and if he is omniscient then he would know I wouldn't be following willingly. I try to live my life helping as many people as I can. If that isn't good enough then that isn't a god I would follow or worship.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

It's because the Bible tells you to be good so you'll be rewarded in the afterlife, but you can only get into the Good Place if you aren't doing it for a reward.

It's actually getting people sent to the Bad Place, even if they never do anything bad.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Other people wrote about Genghis Khan and Alexander the Great during their lifetimes.
Pretty sure the Bible is older than Genghis but definitely not older than Alexander of Macedonia.
Most historical figures of note have corroborating accounts that clearly show they were real people that other people were aware of, talked about, and made art in response to.
If it we're speaking in terms of awareness, conversation, and art, I still think the Judeo-Christian God comes out ahead by these metrics. It's lacking in corroborations, true.
That's not even including the ones who wrote works themselves.
Does "word of God" ring a bell?

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If there was irrefutable proof that they existed, then it wouldn't be a matter of believing they exist, it would be literal factual reality.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Surprised by the answers. So, even if a God were to "prove" himself to you, you still wouldn't follow him/change how you live? You would risk hell?

Because, what IS proof anyway?

I personally believe in a God because it's how I percieve the reality around me. That's how I make sense of things.

Others don't require that. So any proof of God would probably be wirtten off as yet another scientific phenomenon.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm reminded of the old Dr. Pleb threads on the-site-which-shall-not-be-named except very few people went into the thread going "how do I know it's really Dr. Pleb" and "I would FITE Dr. Pleb".

Neece

Oct 27, 2017

It depends on the doctrine, though.

In some Christian denominations, once you believe Jesus is the son of God, you are saved and go to Heaven. So if the Christian God showed himself, then believing he and Jesus existed is all it would take, not following him or changing the way you live.

Others believe it's faith plus living a particular way. But I'd imagine this Christian God would need to actually settle the debate that his own followers don't seem to be able to agree on. Is it faith alone or faith plus works.

Also, this Christian God would "know your heart" so it would know if you're only living a particular way to go to heaven (or, avoid eternal damnation in hell), so I'm not sure if a former atheist that thinks the Christian God is immoral would go to heaven even if they started following him. Deep downtThey'd still think the God was immoral.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

But yeah if god really did prove himself then I would leave my atheism behind and go full blown christian.

It's funny how you anthropomorphized God. Why do we do that? Why is God busy doing things, like a person with preoccupations?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because, what IS proof anyway?

I personally believe in a God because it's how I percieve the reality around me. That's how I make sense of things.

Others don't require that. So any proof of God would probably be wirtten off as yet another scientific phenomenon.
Well, I sorta took OP's topic to mean irrefutable proof that would make everyone believe there's a god.

Oct 25, 2017
though if God comes back and says that we should all "be excellent" and gets rid of the bogus rules, i will totally stan

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It depends on the doctrine, though.

In some Christian denominations, once you believe Jesus is the son of God, you are saved and go to Heaven. So if the Christian God showed himself, then believing he and Jesus existed is all it would take, not following him or changing the way you live.

Others believe it's faith plus living a particular way. But I'd imagine this Christian God would need to actually settle the debate that his own followers don't seem to be able to agree on. Is it faith alone or faith plus works.
Sure, but after seeing him in person, would you really want to roll the dice like that? Wouldn't you take the safe route and live the "moral" life rather just believing in Christ and hoping your denomination is the one that represents Christ? Assuming this "God" is the Christian god, of course.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd certainly become a believer. Not necessity a follower though, as the god that created such a brutal and fucked up reality is probably a real piece of garbage.

Why'd the god design us that way then?

Motherfucker would owe us an explanation for that. At the very least. Since all the evil in the world would be according to their design.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but after seeing him in person, would you really want to roll the dice like that? Wouldn't you take the safe route and live the "moral" life rather just believing in Christ and hoping your denomination is the one that represents Christ? Assuming this "God" is the Christian god, of course.
What if this "moral life" includes being anti-LGBT and anti-pro choice? What if the person can't reconcile this God being "good" and its teachings "moral", even if they recognize that it exists? Are they supposed to just pretend they love this being that they think is immoral? And if so, whats the point? The being "knows their heart" anyway.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I'd certainly become a believer. Not necessity a follower though, as the god that created such a brutal and fucked up reality is probably a real piece of garbage.

Motherfucker would owe us an explanation for that. At the very least. Since all the evil in the world would be according to their design.

The theological answer would be we fucked it up with Original Sin and the Garden of Eden.

Of course, to that you could also say how come even then we were designed to have an appendix, an organ which we don't know why we use and ruptures from time to time killing us. It's almost like a killswitch!

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The evil is of our own doing. What does God have to do with it (or the devil for that matter) besides set into motion the scientific laws which govern our reality? You already don't believe a God is real, so how does one existing mean it now gets all the credit?

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot

Believe He is a real existing entity is very different than worshiping.

I don't believe his actions, they way they have been recorded, are worth of worship. I don't "love" a supreme because if not they are going to torture me. I've spent my life getting away from abusive relationships- I will not entire a contract with a known abuser.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
The evil is of our own doing. What does God have to do with it (besides set into motion the scientific laws which govern our reality)? You already don't believe a God is real, so how does one existing mean it now gets all the credit?
If it's the Christian God, then it was all his design.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd follow them out of fear if they made me believe, but I don't know if I'd be able to worship an immoral monster.

This just makes me think how I'd have so many questions for them, so many "why?" questions as the Christian religion(and all the rest) make absolutely no sense.

Something important is that if they really are against the love I feel in my same-sex relationship, then I'd probably not worship them, that'd probably be the most important question I'd ask. I'd never care about a being like that.

I think I'd just continue to be the person I am, if that's not good enough then whatever.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
An all knowing, all responsible god is evil. There is no subtlety. If there is something that created evil, permits it, and allows it, such a deity is by definition evil.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The evil is of our own doing. What does God have to do with it (or the devil for that matter) besides set into motion the scientific laws which govern our reality? You already don't believe a God is real, so how does one existing mean it now gets all the credit?
The god created that reality. The god created the scientific laws which govern it. If such a being is truly omnipotent and all-powerful then there can be nothing that is not according to its design. It would be able to predict every possible outcome with absolute certainty since it created the literal fabric of the universe. Even if it decided to give us "free will" (air quotes because it's actually impossible to prove that free will even exists, but that's an entirely different discussion) it would have known what would happen as a result of that gift, because it created the very reality in which the gift was given.

tl;dr:
An all knowing, all responsible god is evil. There is no subtlety. If there is something that created evil, permits it, and allows it, such a deity is by definition evil.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
No, it will only reinforce the fact that this god is s total douche with his "if you are not with me, you are against me" rhetoric.

Seems like this god isnt so perfect after.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah I'd follow him/her/it. And being omnipotent I'm sure they know that too. Just like they knew that humanity would turn into what we are now after we were placed into the Garden of Eden and told not to gain knowledge...which they probably also knew was a rule we wouldnt adhere to.

I like to imagine the Christian God as having Dissociative Identity Disorder. One side that loves unconditionally, a side that's a jealous vindictive dick, one that sees all, and one dumb as a pile of rocks. I wonder which one is "watching" over us now lol.