Oct 30, 2017
I'll use Sony for this example.

Let's say they released a handheld console.

- 1080p 6inch Screen
- Full controls (all buttons, normal sized sticks and buttons)
- Good WiFi chip and option to to put on a stand and connect a USB ethernet port for table top mode
- HDMI out to stream on any TV
- Able to stream locally too (basically remote play)
- Bonus feature of using this as a extra controller for PS4

Then the main feature that will be the focus when marketing this device

- Stream every game you bought digitally on PSN (PSN+ required)
EDIT: Additional $20 fee per year, I realised them letting you stream all digital games for free that you bought isn't feasible financially. PSN+ not required but then you lose out on online competitive and co-op gaming

- Stream any game from PSN Now (PSN Now subscription required)

Price - $100

Bonus question
Let's say the decive has SD card support, and a powerful chip enough for 2D indie games, some 3D indie games depending on how demanding, and Vita, PSP and PS1 games. But costed $150 would you be interested?

Last edited:

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a decent enough connection so sure. I wanna play Bloodborne on my toilet.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think to me, if there is any appeal to streaming, it's being able to do it on any device I already have.

I could see MS doing an Xbox One mini, with no disc drive, but it's tiny, and it comes with a 12 month game pass sub or something.

Edit: To be clear, I mean a home console.

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
At that price I might buy it for local streaming. I don't think that streaming over internet would give me a consistently good experience, and it would eat through my mobile internet package in no time.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
No chance. What is the point of portability if you need to be near your home's net connection at all times?

If Sony made a PS4 Hybrid, I'd give that a hot look.

Nov 14, 2017
Microsoft has already an Xbox streaming service and you can connect and play games on your PC. You just have to have to Xbox one and connect to your PC. You can play any xbox one game you like on PC with this streaming service.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
No because if it is a sony handheld I know how shit the wifi would be.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
The only "good" game streaming experience I've had is when I used my gaming desktop to stream a game to my laptop using Steam, and I still noticed lag. Also, not a huge fan of the compression.

That's on a local 1Gbit network. Can't see myself having a better experience online, so I'll stick with my consoles/PC, thank you very much.

Oct 29, 2017
I'll use Sony for this example.

Let's say they released a handheld console.

- 1080p 6inch Screen
- Full controls (all buttons, normal sized sticks and buttons)
- Bonus feature of using this as a extra controller for PS4

Then the main feature that will be the focus when marketing this device

- Stream every game you bought digitally on PSN (PSN+ required)
EDIT: Additional $20 fee per year, I realised them letting you stream all digital games for free that you bought isn't feasible financially. PSN+ not required but then you lose out on online competitive and co-op gaming

- Stream any game from PSN Now (PSN Now subscription required)

Price - $100
I would just roll the streaming service into PSNow, cost it out that way and allow people on PSNow to also stream every game they've bought.

But I'd be tempted, yes.

Oct 30, 2017
Why would I need that? No chance of using it outside the house and I got the real thing at home. I don't even use the Switch portably.

Plus it's probably worse than PSNow which runs like dogshit for me.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I don't really like the idea of a device that only functions with a subscription since it means one day it'll be completely useless.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming no. Digital only sure, assuming the form factor and discount justifies the price.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
For $100 sure, though I would use it mostly for remote play. Using it outside would be too finicky, though let's see if 5G lives up anywhere near the promise on that.

Microsoft has already an Xbox streaming service and you can connect and play games on your PC. You just have to have to Xbox one and connect to your PC. You can play any xbox one game you like on PC with this streaming service.

Sony has that too. This is about a dedicated device for that purpose.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but I question the market viability, putting a streaming app on mobile seems a much better strategy. Which seems like where Microsoft is going, maybe Sony follows suit as they evolve their PS Now service.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why can't this be available as software too? I mean my Android TV used to have PS Now. Now it has Steam Link.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Make it a small Chromecast-like dongle that connects to a TV and costs half as much, and sure.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe from Microsoft. But absolutely not paying any subscription fees.

I would buy a Sony handheld for $100 that could give me access to my PS2 classics. Again, no subscriptions and no other fees or they can get fucked.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
No. Sorry but I would totally be down for a ps4/xb1 mini if they came out. Hopefully 1080p or close to it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The way I think MS will start introducing streaming is as an optional service to continue playing the games that you have at home on your Xbox console.

Play a game on the big TV at home, stream it from MS servers to a tablet or whatever when on the go, or if someone else is using the Xbox etc.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo already gives me something similar with Switch, so I can't say I want it from them, but.... I'd be all over this in a heartbeat for Xbox. Hell, just make an Xbox game streaming app for Switch and I'd be set.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how trash Internet is where I live, no. In a dream scenario where I have awesome Internet I probably would.