• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should I be first?

• Yes

Votes: 87 6.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,241 93.4%

• Total voters

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I learned is to not hold the door open to let people ahead of you when your significant other is hungry

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Who holds the door to let someone go first? You hold the door open for people behind you to not let it close in their face (which would be somewhat rude to let happen), but you're always in front of them.

Though in these pandemic days, the most polite thing you can do for someone is to stay as far away from them as possible, which kind of turns the whole thing on its head.
Yeah these responses are weird. The purpose of holding the door for someone is not to let them go first. It's to be polite. A common courtesy.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Lol what? Why would you open the door for someone to let them in first and then just get in front of them in line?

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
I think having expectations leads to a lot of disappointment. You definitely shouldn't expect someone to let you order first in this instance.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The gentlemanly thing to do is for that person to let you go ahead, but the gentlemanly thing for you is to decline and say "no no, you please, thank you" esp if it's an attractive person getting their tacos

bry

Oct 27, 2017
ya holding the door from the inside makes more sense if you want to be first.
otherwise u gotta go second

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
don't take this personally OP but proceeding to do something nice to a stranger only to immediately tell them fuck off is the sign of a true sociopath

it's also very hilarious

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
It's not going to hurt you to be one person back in line. Just be a goddamn gentleman and hold the door open.

Jul 18, 2018
Yes. It's mfing Taco Bell. Treat yourself like the king/queen you are. Also you get first dibs to the toilet afterwards

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Your life is a lie, OP.

Now tell us how many times you've held doors for others and then argued your way into the front of the line.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I answered Yes from the perspective that the other person should let you go in front, but I'd definitely say that you shouldn't expect to be allowed in front, nor should you try to force it. I hold the door frequently for people and never go in front of them, or expect to, unless they specifically gesture for me to do so.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
No, get inside and hold the door from there if you want to go first

Reading the title, I assumed this is what OP was doing. If not, then yeah - you kinda forfeit your right to be first. I always open the door for myself and then just hold it open behind me for the next person so that I'm still ahead.

I'd only forfeit that position if I was holding it open for someone I have great respect for or was trying to woo.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Yeah these responses are weird. The purpose of holding the door for someone is not to let them go first. It's to be polite. A common courtesy.
I think it depends on if you open the door from the outside and hold it for them, thus letting them in first, or if you hold the door open after you've entered, allowing them to hold the door themselves as they enter, allowing you to move on to queue. If it's the former, yeah, it would be weird to run past them after they've already entered. If it's the latter, it would be weird to have them shuffle past you as you're awkwardly holding the door open for them from the inside.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
If a person is going to be petty about their place in line after holding open a door, it kind of undoes the kindness of holding open the door in the first place.

Just might as well go full asshole.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
You let them go before you in the first place, no need for them to switch back when you already offered your place.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you holding doors open for people? Most people can open doors themselves. If they are capable, let them do it, don't worry about them. If they made it this far, one more door isn't going to break them.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like you look more rude holding a door for someone only to try and dart in front of them to save yourself 1 minute ordering your nachos and shitty burrito lol

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
No. Waiting an additional minute is the cost of being polite in this instance.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
You extended them a courtesy. It would be good of them to extend you the same courtesy once you were both inside by letting you go first, but all of this is voluntary.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
What how is no winning. Of course you should be first.

Unless I misunderstood:
You arrive first at the door
You notice someone is coming in too like 5 feet's behind you.
You keep the door open.
And then you go in line after you

First in first out. You holding the door for someone else doesn't change your were first

I may be a sociopath but it's exactly how I expect everyone to take mental note of the order at which they arrive at the bus stop to board in the rightful order God intended

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
If someone is behind you it's courteous to hold the door open for them and not slam the door in their face. The purpose of holding the door is to not slam it in their faces, not to let them order first. Most people follow through and let you go ahead after. If they don't I'm not going to demand it, but I'll feel taken advantage of.

The responses in this thread are weird. Are you all taking advantage of polite people like this?

Anyway, to avoid this altogether, just use the self-service kiosk once inside. Nobody uses those.

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
What?? You hold the door as a good person but if you see that a reason to be ahead of the line? I mean really?. You cant wait a minute or two extra for a quesadilla?

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Am I crazy for never even thinking about this scenario before? If I hold the door open for someone, 9 times out of 10 I let the person go ahead of me. Same way if the roles were reversed

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
What?? You hold the door as a good person but if you see that a reason to be ahead of the line? I mean really?. You cant wait a minute or two extra for a quesadilla?
Why are people reading it like this. You're not using it as a reason to be ahead of the line. You were already ahead of the line. The only reason you're not now is because you weren't an asshole and slammed the door in someone's face.

If someone held the door open for me and I repaid their kindness by ordering ahead of them I'd feel like an asshole.