• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would You Purchase PSVR to Play Half-Life: Alyx?

• Yes

Votes: 265 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 256 49.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a PCVR headset and I think HL:Alyx would be pretty ok on PSVR, if the Move controller gets replaced with a new type of controller with A FUCKING ANALOG STICK.

Also, it's 2019, we got our "vr legs", we don't need roomscale training wheels anymore. I want free movement and dynamic VR experiences running in giant virtual spaces from a couch or standing. If Alyx turns out to be a string of closed rooms with bullshit mini shooting galleries in them... it's going to be the moment I truly stop believing in VR's future: I just expect more from Valve.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
No, I will not buy another PSVR for Half Life. I sold my old one because I have two kids. I'll be back when they are older :)

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer it be on PSVR so I can just have one headset for everything VR. But also, man PSVR needs improvements.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
In a heartbeat, I'm actually hoping Valve ports it at some point because I'm not spending the money to buy a decent PC and Index for just one game.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
No, Ps4 would be too weak to run it and I wont repeat the mistake of buying a ps5 at launch. Plus the PC experience will always be better.
I dont have a VR kit yet, still evaluating options, was hoping to see some killer pricing during Black Friday but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme the VR version of the Orange Box for the PS5. Half Life: Alyx, Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3!

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
No. I will buy PSVR2 if the next Gran Turismo gets full support for it. If anything, Half Life Alyx might add to the reasons to finally jump back into PC VR (I had a less than stellar experience with early adoption of Windows Mixed Reality due to poor SteamVR drivers and returned the headset).

Probably not adopting Valve's ultra-expensive headsets though. Rift-S looks dope. I love inside-out tracking.

ChopTwigs

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No need for an expensive new PC and only need to get the PSVR to play Alyx? Yea, this would get me to finally buy a headset.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The reason you see a lot of people talk about the Move controllers as though they are awful, is because they comparatively are awful. They work somewhat ok for games designed to be primarily forward facing, and where general position and momentum without much intricacy is all that's required, but they are terrible in a vast array of not exactly uncommon VR scenarios.

Basic stuff like being held in front of the headset can cause the headset itself to track poorly. They have no dedicated grip button, in a medium where holding shit in your hands and letting them go is interaction 101. They lack any form of navigation controls (stick, trackpad), meaning that free locomotion (which a game like Alyx is going to be extremely dependent on) ends up mapping to weird "point/tilt to move" gestures, which needs to basically be toggled against standard hand tracked actions.

The Move controllers are the VR equivalent on playing FPS games with a dpad and shoulder buttons. Some games will still be enjoyable that way, but they are awful for the task. Games that are designed with PSVR in mind from the start (like say Borderlands 2 VR) often end up crippled across all VR platforms due to the concessions made to make them Move/Dualshock playable.

All of that is true but the point is that it is overstated. Traversal is the biggest weakness. The gesture movement is clearly inferior to simply having a stick, offering less precise movement. Still, gesture based movement is comfortable and intuitive in it's own way. Teleport movement is not my preferred option (better than you may imagine having not tried it, tho) but it's viable. About that dedicated grip button, use the big trigger under your forefinger to grip. Yes, you are correct picking things up is pretty common in vr but I don't think this was ever a problem with the move.

There's a good chance that alyx will be too much for the move controllers. The movement in particular could be too demanding. But then again maybe not. Compared to touch or knuckles, then are a laugh, sure. However when you need them to be so bad that they're crippling other games I would caution others to consider a grain of salt.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
All of that is true but the point is that it is overstated. Traversal is the biggest weakness. The gesture movement is clearly inferior to simply having a stick, offering less precise movement. Still, gesture based movement is comfortable and intuitive in it's own way. Teleport movement is not my preferred option (better than you may imagine having not tried it, tho) but it's viable. About that dedicated grip button, use the big trigger under your forefinger to grip. Yes, you are correct picking things up is pretty common in vr but I don't think this was ever a problem with the move.

There's a good chance that alyx will be too much for the move controllers. The movement in particular could be too demanding. But then again maybe not. Compared to touch or knuckles, then are a laugh, sure. However when you need them to be so bad that they're crippling other games I would caution others to consider a grain of salt.

I don't think it's overstated at all. To go back to my prior comparison, someone may claim people overstate the issues of a modern controller shipping with no analogue sticks saying that whilst dual analog would be superior, playing Halo with GoldenEye's control scheme isn't really that bad. I'd outright disagree with that.

As for using the trigger under your finger in place of a grip button... it's known as a trigger for a reason, because often the item you're looking to grip also is operated with a trigger.

I've had Rift + PSVR since around the PSVR's launch. I'm not overstating the issues, it really just is that bad at these tasks, and does leads to design compromises (such as hands not being independently tracked, or "aiming with your face") for numerous games that require free movement whilst targeting PSVR from the outset.

The Move controllers are a control system that were designed with no concept of artificial motion, because their original purpose obvious wouldn't require that, but that's become a glaring flaw in it's new role.

EDIT: Actually the GoldenEye comparison is too lenient, because there's no dpad in this case either.

Last edited:

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Nah, I prefer my Oculus Quest. PC VR offers way more experiences as well, but wireless VR is the best way to enjoy it.