• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 23, 2017
crosscode-banner.png

Seriously, it's a crime how good this game is.

It's a game based around a Virtual Reality MMORPG called CrossWorlds. This game does a fantastic job at convincing you that you are playing an MMORPG with other players.

central-busy2.gif

If such a thing actually existed, I would legit stop what I'm doing to play it.

C2KXn7CWIAALTSJ.png

I haven't been excited for MMORPG's for a long time, I still find myself going back to old favorites like Ragnarok Online.

I love the pixel art-style CrossCode has going for it, it reminds me of Golden Sun or some other GBA game. Quality pixel art doesn't grow stale for me like some modern 3D aesthetics do.

climbing-bergen.gif

vl0Xb9l.gif

landmark-teleportation2.gif

Then there is the battle system.

The combat is surprisingly fast paced and most importantly, fun.

I think the combat was the biggest surprise for me when I played, next to seeing NPC's running around the world.

emilie-battle.gif

20150224072559-melee-combat.gif

6245bcdbe9eca601a3baccfc273fa673.gif

But that's not all.

In classic RPG fashion, you got your equipment screen, skill tree, and the most detailed Options menu I have ever seen in a single player game.

oVmH4go.gif

Wait until you see the skill tree.

When I first saw the skill tree for CrossCode, I was like "Holy shit, is this Path of Exile!?".

circuit-overview2.png

1-circuit-updated.png

I got overwhelmed with all the nodes, it wasn't a bad thing but I wasn't sure where to start.

Oh, and before I forget, the soundtrack is great!

I think it could rival even Ragnarok Online's legendary OST.

Now that's music I can game to.

Cw64lbEWIAEmjhK.png

Last edited:

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
been waiting fucking forever for this shit. played the demo on PC, which was... ok. Like I don't think I got to anything special during that time, but I hear nothing but stellar shit about it. I thought it was supposed to come to switch, but I guess me keep waiting. Glad to have indies like this out there though, mega impressive.

dammit now i'm getting impatient for this again Lol

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really need to get on playing this one. I have it on Steam and haven't touched it. The .Hack series also gives me the same feeling of wishing the MMORPG represented in the game was a real thing.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
been waiting fucking forever for this shit. played the demo on PC, which was... ok. Like I don't think I got to anything special during that time, but I hear nothing but stellar shit about it. I thought it was supposed to come to switch, but I guess me keep waiting. Glad to have indies like this out there though, mega impressive.

dammit now i'm getting impatient for this again Lol
Sorta OT, but I was waiting for this to come out on Switch. It still hasn't, right?

Oh it's not out on Switch yet?

Hmm...I did a quick google search and found this post from 6 months ago.

DancingLea.gif

monali

Mar 8, 2020
Perfect game for the switch IMO, so I'm waiting on that.
but from the few hours I played in the PC version, it's a great game and I can't wait to start it over.

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Game is nice, and it does nail the MMO aspect in a lot of ways.

The game is bloated and overstretched as any old school MMO.
Dungeons last for literal hours, enemy variety is non existant and almost only palette swaps, you have tons of elemental attacks and skills... that are effectively identical in most situations just asking you to hit weaknesses, gear is complete dog shit with nothing more than +1 upgrades (and much more significant +5 upgrades if you grind the shit out of materials), the overheat feature is nothing but a hindrance to make combat even longer than it is (especially on some bosses)...

It would perfect if it was 5 times shorter than it is.
It's just a gruesome grind in samey zones, fighting samey monsters using the exact samey gameplay.
But at least it has a funny story I guess. And mountains of trash tier fetch quests.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I tried getting the controller to work on the game pass version on PC and gave up. Still haven't played it. If it came to Switch I'd buy it.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
I think this was announced as coming to Game Pass eventually, and I'd love to check it out when it does.

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think this was announced as coming to Game Pass eventually, and I'd love to check it out when it does.
It's been on Game pass console and PC for months.
I don't remember when it was added, but it's probably closer to being removed than anything at this point.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really love Crosscode. Fantastic puzzle design, pixel art, music, and story.

Combat isn't quite *as* awesome as the OP states, but the package as a whole is stellar. As someone who thinks jRPGs are in a fucking stone age, Crosscode stood out to me as one of the best entries of the 2010's.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
It's been on Game pass console and PC for months.
I don't remember when it was added, but it's probably closer to being removed than anything at this point.

Just looked into it and you're right about it being on PC Game Pass for awhile now. Unfortunately, while announced for console, it hasn't released yet. They gave an update back in December just saying it should be out sometime this year.

Thanks for the heads up about PC Game Pass though, had no idea.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Love the style of the game and hope it delivers, eventually. Was it Co-op as well? I forget.

Really love Crosscode. Fantastic puzzle design, pixel art, music, and story.

Combat isn't quite *as* awesome as the OP states, but the package as a whole is stellar. As someone who thinks jRPGs are in a fucking stone age, Crosscode stood out to me as one of the best entries of the 2010's.

You know, a Mysterious Monsters RPG, starring a certain group of protagonists, could help alleviate that problem. I'm sure you could knock one out in your spare time, right?

pretty please!

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Love the style of the game and hope it delivers, eventually. Was it Co-op as well? I forget.

You know, a Mysterious Monsters RPG, starring a certain group of protagonists, could help alleviate that problem. I'm sure you could knock one out in your spare time, right?

pretty please!
But mom I don't wannnaaaaaa

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's impressive how well they make you feel like you're in a multiplayer game even though it's single player. I'd love for it to be an actual MMO with that style of gameplay built out to account for other people.

Why does she looks so goofy?

Leah is great. Her language synthesizer is broken so she can only communicate with a single word and facial expressions, so her expressions have to be easily readable to convey emotion and thought.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Game is nice, and it does nail the MMO aspect in a lot of ways.

The game is bloated and overstretched as any old school MMO.
Dungeons last for literal hours, enemy variety is non existant and almost only palette swaps, you have tons of elemental attacks and skills... that are effectively identical in most situations just asking you to hit weaknesses, gear is complete dog shit with nothing more than +1 upgrades (and much more significant +5 upgrades if you grind the shit out of materials), the overheat feature is nothing but a hindrance to make combat even longer than it is (especially on some bosses)...

It would perfect if it was 5 times shorter than it is.
It's just a gruesome grind in samey zones, fighting samey monsters using the exact samey gameplay.
But at least it has a funny story I guess. And mountains of trash tier fetch quests.
I can understand this line of thinking, but... most of the things you complained about are the things that made me love it the most. Hours-long dungeons full of fiendishly tricky puzzles? YES. A world you can wander and get lost in while completing tons of small MMO-y quests like 'kill x monsters' or 'find x items'? YES. That part reminded me a lot of Xenoblade, which I also adore.

I just strongly disagree that the game would have been better it it were shorter. It being an actual meaty game and giving me the time to bask in it and just soak in all the amazing atmosphere was my favorite part.

Besides, even if you do all the quests it's only like 30-40 hours, it's not THAT long.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this game. Probs gonna replay on switch when that comes out to get all the post game content in that play through. Game deserves a lot more recognition than it got. It's amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Fine, but then at least eat your vegetables!
🎵 vegetables taste bad

I can understand this line of thinking, but... most of the things you complained about are the things that made me love it the most. Hours-long dungeons full of fiendishly tricky puzzles? YES. A world you can wander and get lost in while completing tons of small MMO-y quests like 'kill x monsters' or 'find x items'? YES. That part reminded me a lot of Xenoblade, which I also adore.

I just strongly disagree that the game would have been better it it were shorter. It being an actual meaty game and giving me the time to bask in it and just soak in all the amazing atmosphere was my favorite part.

Besides, even if you do all the quests it's only like 30-40 hours, it's not THAT long.
Pacing complaints are certainly valid and a clear side effect of their EA development; the first act barely has any plot, second act is a giant dump in the first half but not much in the second half. The second town/first dungeon are super long and full of stuff since it had to last to players next to the small first area with way less stuff on it, then the following towns and areas try to cram as much or more content and story, etc

But that's like, not a length issue. If anything I would take the last act being 50% longer tbh

And yeah, give me more games with half a dozen super long and awesomely designed dungeons with meaningful rewards and exploration (try to find all chests in ANY single dungeon in this game, I dare you!) instead of the standard RPG fare of a dozen or more dungeons made of forked corridors that either get to a chest/wall or the right path and the only challenge is the attrition of depleting your resources through combat, that more often than not can be compensated by hoarding items.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
They coded the whole game based on a language/platform not supported on consoles, so now they have to convert the whole thing to a new coding language to run on consoles, something like that.

/Found the official post from December:

We underestimated the amount of work a bit. Or, in other words, it became… complicated. Especially the performance became a major challenge. Lea would say: Why?

That's why: CrossCode is written in HTML5. And that means that there is tons of JavaScript. And live compiling it in a Chromium Browser is causing security issues on consoles and is forbidden on most platforms as hackers could attack the hardware through that. So we had to find a solution. Which is basically an interpreter which translates the code but locks it up in a cage. That also means: We had a performance bottleneck. As the code was read by the interpreter and then translated into something the console would understand and then read by the console. It is like watching a movie in a movie in a livestream. Yet: We have it under control now.

At this point they should target next gen consoles already :P

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
I had a great time with it. Its protagonist and storyline are among my all-time favorites.

Your mileage will vary depending on your experience with the MMOs of yore. Needless to say, it's refreshing to play an RPG with high stakes that have nothing to do with saving the world.

Incredible that it was developed with HTML5 and Node, but this screwed them over for the console releases.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
Played a few hours of this on Game Pass last year. Can't wait to buy it on Switch when it launches. I feel like this game is going to blow up when that finally happens.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
According to the publisher, they are already past certifications. So the game should come soon-ish to switch.

Dunno what is taking so long. But whatever.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing this game today and Leah is just adorable. One of the few instances where a silent protagonist makes sense and enhances the story.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
The demo really does not do the game any favors. Pretty dull.

But with that said I'll reconsider when it releases on the switch. Until then I sleep

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Given some of the responses, I'm getting the impression the demo is not a good representation of the game.
I honestly found the demo Really captivating when I played it originally, but it doesn't have any of the RPG stuff because it's the prologue. That's probably why some people were bored.

The level of enviromental density I felt in that prologue was great though, there was a lot of stuff to look at that felt thought out, especially in the living quarters of the area you explore in the prologue. felt like thet took a different direction when the game started proper.

I'd try it, it's fine. I loved it.