• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Savage being an immigrant to Atlanta doesn't change his story.

This is so important to the conversation around him being "fake". Even if he moved to Atlanta when he was 12, that means he spent his formative years there, so it would make sense he would say he's from Atlanta because he feels that he is.

Also why are ICE going out of their way to say "his whole persona is fake"? It's fucking weird, and the only conclusion that could be drawn is they are trying to publicly smear him.

I never thought this was funny, but the more time goes by, the less funny I think it is.

BrownWalrus

Nov 2, 2017
Wait... this may actually be real? He says in literally ever song he is from east Atlanta

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-people-21-savage-britain-idUSKCN1PT130

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Foreign Office said on Monday it was in contact with the lawyer for a British man detained in the United States in response to reports U.S. immigration officials had arrested rapper 21 Savage for being in the country illegally.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up, 21 was really in Bouldercrest, and was really in some shits. Also, that part of East Atlanta you kind of have to adjust especially in the circles he was in.

I should have paid attention when I heard he had a weird accent when he first interacted with some back in the day peoples of mine. Makes sense now I guess.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see the problem. If he came to the US at the age of 12, he still grew up in East Atlanta, went to HS there and had his most important teenage years in the US.

21 will always be a reprensentative of Atlanta and the rap scene there to me. Dont matter what trash ass ICE is claiming.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I also thought this story is wild but the memes got less and less funny. I mean, I get some of it in regards to how 21 tried to hide his roots, but shit Without Warning was a complete banger and I loved his persona nonetheless. Hope his career keeps pointing up.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
The funniest part about all of this is seeing a bunch of snowflakes who've probably grown up sheltered point and laugh at a guy with felonies and multiple bullet wounds for being "fake". Other than that this ain't funny at all. You can tell who has never known an illegal immigrant or been friends with one.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see the problem. If he came to the US at the age of 12, he still grew up in East Atlanta, went to HS there and had his most important teenage years in the US.

21 will always be a reprensentative of Atlanta and the rap scene there to me. Dont matter what trash ass ICE is claiming.
His claim to represent Atlanta is legit, but never mentioning where he came from brings his reputation into question.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I haven't been able to stop thinking about this. His team needs to release something soon. Is this a misunderstanding or was he really born in the UK and lived there until he was 12? That's a pretty big thing to never bring up in interviews. But it's not really a shocking omission because a lot of these new rappers give terrible interviews because they're too concerned with their image (and a lot act like they just don't know how to talk to people).
During his most recent Letterman interview, Jay-Z said 90% of rap/rappers are fake.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

12 was when his world got flipped and twisted upside down

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
His claim to represent Atlanta is legit, but never mentioning where he came from brings his reputation into question.

Eh, if someone asked him where his family was at he'd tell them Atlanta, which would have been true. He doesn't have to lay out his life history to let you know where he came from.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He spent half his life in the UK. He's a Brit.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
During his most recent Letterman interview, Jay-Z said 90% of rap/rappers are fake.

mainstream probably yeah, but you hear about a lot of unknown rappers getting killed with gang shit

edit: and I love the jokes as much as anybody, but if he spent his teen years in atlanta, I don't see why he can't claim it. Admittedly weird he wouldn't embrace his past, but whatever. I say this as a non-fan.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
mainstream probably yeah, but you hear about a lot of unknown rappers getting killed with gang shit

edit: and I love the jokes as much as anybody, but if he spent his teen years in atlanta, I don't see why he can't claim it. Admittedly weird he wouldn't embrace his past, but whatever. I say this as a non-fan.
I'm with you. If he was in the streets in East ATL, that's fine. I wouldn't have hid my UK past though, nothing soft about the UK either.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, if someone asked him where his family was at he'd tell them Atlanta, which would have been true. He doesn't have to lay out his life history to let you know where he came from.
He doesn't, but it's become the reason he's being clowned right now. There'd be no PR problem had people known he came from the UK. Everyone would just rally around him instead.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If he was brought here as a 12 year old, he shouldn't be getting deported.

I mean, as a musician he'll be fine, but fuck this sort of shit.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He doesn't, but it's become the reason he's being clowned right now. There'd be no PR problem had people known he came from the UK. Everyone would just rally around him instead.

He comes form Atlanta, he was born in the UK. Also I don't think this is gunna be a PR problem for Savage, he'll get deported and keep making popular music.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reading about it makes it seems so wild. He went through so much effort to concoct a backstory for the 21 Savage character. You have to wonder at some point if he didn't start to think that he really did come from Atlanta? I wonder how many of his close friends knew that it was a put on and just went along with it to maintain the facade?

He gave multiple interviews about his upbringing, citing events in and around the city of Atlanta. Shit was incredibly well thought out. I am surprised no one has come out and been like I don't remember this dude from back in the day.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He comes form Atlanta, he was born in the UK. Also I don't think this is gunna be a PR problem for Savage, he'll get deported and keep making popular music.
It's definitely a PR problem right now, but he can also easily come back from this.

Back in the 90's his career would probably be over.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading about it makes it seems so wild. He went through so much effort to concoct a backstory for the 21 Savage character. You have to wonder at some point if he didn't start to think that he really did come from Atlanta? I wonder how many of his close friends knew that it was a put on and just went along with it to maintain the facade?

He gave multiple interviews about his upbringing, citing events in and around the city of Atlanta. Shit was incredibly well thought out. I am surprised no one has come out and been like I don't remember this dude from back in the day.

It's not like dude moved to Atlanta in 2016.

Sounds like he grew up there.

It's definitely a PR problem right now, but he can also easily come back from this.

Back in the 90's his career would probably be over.

For sure he'd be done.

It's a PR problem as much as getting clowned on by HipHop twitter is a PR problem, which is to say, not much.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
If he didn't had any felonies he could qualify for DACA.

Guidelines
You may request DACA if you:

1. Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
  2. Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
  3. Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
  4. Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
  5. Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;
  6. Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
  7. Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor,or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
You're absolutely right.

Oct 25, 2017

Real talk.

Yeah, I can't make a joke about a genuinely evil piece of shit like McCain after he died (not even about his death) who literally went out of his way to murder innocent people and put forward legislation that ruined lives. Yet taking the piss out of somebody who's being deported after he contributed a ridiculous amount to both the US economy (next to a regular person) and his Atlanta community by an institutionally racist organisation that murders kids and destroys family is fair game.
Goddamn, if this isn't the truth. Progressive my fucking arse..

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

Dude was 12, it's not as if he would have been active on the streets before then anyway.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How much do you remember from before you were 12? If you moved somewhere when you were 12 and had lived there since if someone asked where you were from most people would just say wherever they moved to. It's kind of irrelevant to say, well I moved here from the UK when I was 12. It'd be like ok mate cool, but it's basically a little detail with absolutely no relevance to a conversation.

It's not a fabrication for him to say he's from and grew up in Atlanta. Like even if you moved to a different state at 12, and now you're 25-30 years old and have been living in the same state for the last 15 or so years, you wouldn't say I'm from the state I was only in until age 12. It's not relevant. I guess if someone directly asks you where you were born, but who does that and why do they care where you were born and not what you identify with for the majority of your life?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I remember a lot from before I was 12, that's pretty damn odd to think you wouldn't lol

Not saying it makes him a liar, he immediately got into gangs when he moved to Atlanta and that's what his raps are about. But I doubt he "forgot" where he was from, he probably literally hid it because... well.. look at what is happening now, he is here illegaly so he couldn't bring it up. But to say you are "from" a place you moved to at 12/13 is definitely.. not true.

I wonder if anyone else in the rap game knows, it's possible that he's confided this to some of his friends.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How much do you remember from before you were 12? If you moved somewhere when you were 12 and had lived there since if someone asked where you were from most people would just say wherever they moved to. It's kind of irrelevant to say, well I moved here from the UK when I was 12. It'd be like ok mate cool, but it's basically a little detail with absolutely no relevance to a conversation.

It's not a fabrication for him to say he's from and grew up in Atlanta. Like even if you moved to a different state at 12, and now you're 25-30 years old and have been living in the same state for the last 15 or so years, you wouldn't say I'm from the state I was only in until age 12. It's not relevant.

I lived in one town till I was 10 or 11 but I never say I'm from that town. I still remember quite a bit that happened in that town but I'd never claim any kind of tie to it, I grew up somewhere else.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Guidelines
You may request DACA if you:

1. Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
  2. Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
  3. Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
  4. Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
  5. Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;
  6. Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
  7. Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor,or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
You're absolutely right.
It's sad that he was dumb enough to not take advantage of DACA.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I lived in one town till I was 10 or 11 but I never say I'm from that town. I still remember quite a bit that happened in that town but I'd never claim any kind of tie to it, I grew up somewhere else.

Right, I grew up in a small town, but I've been in the twin cities since I was 17. If people ask where I'm from I say Minneapolis, as that's where I live and it's more relevant, and there's more to talk about, because most people don't know where the small town is and there really isn't much to say about it.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I remember a lot from before I was 12, that's pretty damn odd to think you wouldn't lol

Not saying it makes him a liar, he immediately got into gangs when he moved to Atlanta and that's what his raps are about. But I doubt he "forgot" where he was from, he probably literally hid it because... well.. look at what is happening now, he is here illegaly so he couldn't bring it up. But to say you are "from" a place you moved to at 12/13 is definitely.. not true.

I wonder if anyone else in the rap game knows, it's possible that he's confided this to some of his friends.
This is pedantic, frivolous nonsense.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Right, I grew up in a small town, but I've been in the twin cities since I was 17. If people ask where I'm from I say Minneapolis, as that's where I live and it's more relevant, and there's more to talk about, because most people don't know where the small town is and there really isn't much to say about it.

I think you guys are pointlessly trying to stretch this in a weird way; he hid it because he's here illegaly not because it's normal to completly ignore that you come from a different country or city.

If you tell people you are from Minneapolis, that is kind of strange dude lol

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
He spent most of his life in Atlanta, including the entirety of his adolescence. Claiming someone is 'wrong' for saying that's where he's from is the most needlessly pointless argument I've ever heard. Everything he is can be attributed to the in which he spent the majority of his life.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Claiming someone is 'wrong' for saying that's where he's from is the most needlessly pointless argument I've ever heard.
It's what the words mean... but OK. Continue to be dramatic as hell about nothing.

The most "needlessly pointless argument" you've ever heard? LOL

Everything he is can be attributed to the in which he spent the majority of his life.

And how the hell do you know this?

How do you know 21 Savage doesn't consider the first 12 years of his life, living in a different country as "part of who he is"?

Man what a damn stretch. I outright said that what he raps about is generally true and that I wouldn't call him a liar.... my only point was he has a reason for hiding where he is ACTUALLY FROM. Ya'll are acting like I am siding with the ICE bullshit about his fake persona.

And he was 20 when he started rapping; he was not here the majority of his life at that point.

Last edited:

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
We need to clarify that we are talking about Dominica and not like London town.
are we? the daily mail (yeah, I know) claims they got a copy of his birth certificate and according to it, not only was he born in london, but both his parents were, too.
https://i./1s/2019/02/04/13/9370384-6663565-image-a-25_1549287077499.jpg

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you guys are pointlessly trying to stretch this in a weird way; he hid it because he's here illegaly not because it's normal to completly ignore that you come from a different country or city.

If you tell people you are from Minneapolis, that is kind of strange dude lol

You're not the arbiter of strange and I don't really care what you think dude lol. Where am I from? Oh that's right the place I've lived for the last 13 years.