• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you read that right, Curt Schilling's fucking Kingdoms of Amalur, despite the game having the most uninspired setting, oversaturated boring graphics and average combat, even to this day I still remember the class system and for those of you that didn't play or forgot the game (can't blame you) let me explain it to you

So basically you have 3 different skill trees, the classic Warrior, Rogue and Mage and you spend your skill points to get abilities for the class you want, so far nothing special we have seen this in every fantasy game, however later you are introduced and encouraged to combine classes and while many games allow you to do this freely, Kingdoms of Amalur actually has this neat system where you actually get bonuses depending on how many points you invest into each class

You get more bonuses to the further you go into the trees, the Rogue/Magic class even gets a neat magic dodge at some point. And of course if you wanna stick to lets say, a Warrior, you can and you will get even more bonuses for being specialized.

It's not perfect but at the time this system actually got me to play this shit longer than I should've, maybe another game already did justice to combinated classes and I have just missed it, if so please let me know.

Rogue/Magic: Spellcloak

Warrior/Magic: Battlemage

Warrior/Rogue: Blademaster

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
110 hours according to Steam, and I swear I've seen something similar to it.

It might have been Mass Effect: Andromeda, it lets you pick any set of skills, hot key and freely swap between custom classes, even during combat.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If we don't see a remaster, or a sequel, from THQ Nordic within the next few years I'll legit be shocked. I'd LOVE for anyone to make a ripoff of that games systems, and obviously improve it where they need too. It was a solid base for a sequel.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is kinda basically any game where you can dual-class (Matsuno SRPGs are especially godlike about it (as are the following Final Fantasy Tactics Advance games which have you unlocking a ludicrous amount of jobs like this)).

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Amalur was such a weird game. I got the same vibes from The Surge: a good, mechanically solid game that seems to be made of pieces of other games rather than a truly original idea.

Amalur felt so much like a "big idea" guy ran wild.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
i thought the combat was pretty awesome for the type of game it was, usually in open world games the combat is pretty meh at best. Have there been any open world skyrim/witcher type games with better combat than reckoning had yet?

Amalur was such a weird game. I got the same vibes from The Surge: a good, mechanically solid game that seems to be made of pieces of other games rather than a truly original idea.

I mean, it kind of was. full disclaimer: I was working on the MMO before it got cancelled. there's a reason 'reckoning' is in 10x larger font than KoA. We were making an entirely different game and to my knowledge reckoning was a very different game story/theme/world/characters wise until 38 stepped in and bought them or whatnot. but I think all the combat systems and rpg-isms were there originally. It just got a different 'wrapper', I think.

all that being said I had a fun time with reckoning but I think it was just too damn BIG for it's own good. I put in like 30-40 hours and was still in the second area. If it was condensed down to a 50-60 hour game total with the kind of replayability it had I think it would have been a better title.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
That'd be lovely.
The game had a great combat system for what it was too, I miss it. Never got around to beating it due to bugs.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
How dare you disrespect the combat, it was fun and engaging what other game you use chakras like xena warrior princess

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I guess I'm a bit confused, are there games with classes and skill trees that don't offer incentives for investing more heavily into a particular class?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Play Dragon's Dogma, OP. It's got a similar system, except better in all aspects.

OP
OP
Jadow

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I tried playing Dragon's Dogma last year and I am not sure if I was just not in the right mindset but after like 5 hours I couldn't get into it, outside of the combat everything feels super jank, I may give it another try some other time

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm a bit confused, are there games with classes and skill trees that don't offer incentives for investing more heavily into a particular class?
Typically you're limited in the number of classes/skill trees you have access to.

Here the skill trees are all available, and the class is more of a title you earn based on where you put your skills (eg Spellcloak requires a couple points in Mage and a couple points in Rogue). IIRC you can then pick any class you qualify for and get some bonuses unique to that class.

That said, I don't know that the class system was that special. What made Amalur amazing for me was that it had great, fast-paced combat along with the deep RPG mechanics. Also the fact that respecs were so easy, so I was able to experiment with the system as much as I wanted.

Crafting/harvesting was also sweet. Loved a lot about that game, frankly. The plot was kind of meh, and the difficulty got super easy in late game (played the entire last level wearing just a helmet to keep it interesting, after having gone nuts on the crafting).

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish another game would copy Kingdoms of Amalur's everything. Aside from the fact it was pretty easy even on the hardest difficulty, it's the best gameplay I ever encountered in an action RPG game (that isn't top-down, anyway).

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Dragon Age Inquisition have something sorta like that where you can combine classes at some point in the game?

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
The somewhat lifeless world and dull quests sapped my enthusiasm for the game but I do want to try and get into Kingdoms of Amalur again at some point.

I feel the same way, but about Guild Wars 1, which to my knowledge has never been copied. While there's some limitations - only 8 skills at a time, including 1 elite and up to 3 PvE skills - you can choose any skills from either primary/secondary class and instead of a skill tree you simply put points into whatever attribute you want. As such, given the large range of skills (over 1,000 across 10 classes) the scope for build variety is quite significant. Not only that but, primary class and attribute aside, you're not permanently locked into any one thing either, and can freely rework your build whenever you're in an outpost including swapping secondary class (the game, by design, encourages it).

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
The class system was incredible, and really well done. I don't think I've seen many games do it this well before in a full fat 3D game.

I'm kind of hoping the new Fable game may be able to achieve this in some way, it was known for its open ended combat. Possibly a new Dragons Dogma too?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

Amalur felt so much like a "big idea" guy ran wild.
The most fun bland game I've devoted 60 hours to.
Perfectly describes my time with the game; I found the combat competent but basic. There really was not a lot there to hook you in and keep you coming back once you reached a certain point in the game.

But this was before the Japanese companies that weren't called Capcom jumped on the PC and having a game with a competent action combat system was a blessing and so you could not really be picky but even then.....ehhhh.

OP if you like class/ability mix and matching then I cannot recommend Transistor enough. That game does not have classes per say but you can kinda see traditional archetypes in the skills and abilities. But the best thing about the game is how you can meld all the different tools to come up with crazy "builds" and make something that's completely original and unique but super OP at the same time if you wanted too.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I had fun with the game's class system but I vaguely remember that the worst aspect of the game was the locking of the enemies' level when you entered an area

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The class/combat stuff was cool. Problem was the game never mixed things up, even after however fucking long I spent in it, it stopped being a challenge after... I dunno, 5 hours? Like I never needed to switch up strategies or play a different way.