• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
was looking for a random movie and this one caught my eye (mainly because for a second I thought it was Contact which I still haven't seen) and I'm very glad I watched it.

image-asset.jpeg

MV5BNzQ3ODUzNDY2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzg0ODY2MTE@._V1_.jpg

So without getting into spoilers it's an indie drama/sci-fi/thriller set during a comet. At first it was kind of disorienting, the cinematography wasn't working for me at all cause it was constantly shaky, some of the expository dialog was super clunky and there's some weird scene transitions and the dialog can be hard to hear at times. But oh man am I glad I stuck with it. It ramps up a lot after the first 30 or so minutes and the last 10 minutes are absolutely fucking amazing and will probably stick in my mind for a long time.

I really don't want to mention much because it's best on a blind watch. One of the rotten tomatoes reviews actually mentions the full concept and that's pretty odd considering it doesn't reveal itself until like an hour in so I won't even link it here, but it got rave reviews as well.

Anyone else see it? What did you guys think?

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this a few years ago with a group of friends. Literally screaming when shit got real lol and things slowly got revealed. Truly a mind blowing movie that I've always recommended people to watch.

I'm glad you watched it and enjoyed it as much as I did OP :)

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I saw it a couple of years back when I was in a perpetual mood for mindfucks and plot twists. I liked it, especially the earlier parts where everyone is trying to figure everything out, but the later parts of the movie didn't make as big of an impression on me. Actually had to look up how it ended just now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Saw this a few years ago with a group of friends. Literally screaming when shit got real lol and things slowly got revealed. Truly a mind blowing movie that I've always recommended people to watch.

I'm glad you watched it and enjoyed it as much as I did OP :)
Yeah like I said one of the rotten tomatoes reviews just straight up mentions it features
parallel universes
so it would have been much nicer to discover that myself but as soon as Em goes outside near the end my jaw was on the floor.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I saw it a couple of years back when I was in a perpetual mood for mindfucks and plot twists. I liked it, especially the earlier parts where everyone is trying to figure everything out, but the later parts of the movie didn't make as big of an impression on me. Actually had to look up how it ended just now.
Seeing
the main girl just look through reality after reality realizing she's never getting back to her original one and then deciding to fucking kill another version of herself twice just to live a "happier" life was insaaaane. And then the phone call stinger at the end

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like I said one of the rotten tomatoes reviews just straight up mentions it features
parallel universes
so it would have been much nicer to discover that myself but as soon as Em goes outside near the end my jaw was on the floor.

Dang yeah that sucks that got spoiled for you. I think I enjoyed it when the characters slowly discovered that everything isn't right and also Em going all in was just awesome.

They really dived deep into what would be plausible in a situation like this.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Seeing
the main girl just look through reality after reality realizing she's never getting back to her original one and then deciding to fucking kill another version of herself twice just to live a "happier" life was insaaaane. And then the phone call stinger at the end
It's a good ending for sure. I honestly don't know why it didn't make a bigger impression on me, but perhaps it has to do with me liking the mystery aspects and the unraveling of the events more than anything else.

EDIT: At times during the middle of the movie I felt that the movie would have worked great as a stage play, and I kind of like movies like that. Plots that are confined to one small space in some way, primarily. Like, say, Night of the Living Dead or the first Saw or something like that. There are probably much better examples than those, but I think you get what I'm saying.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was a pretty good one. Saw it back to back with Circle (not The Circle). Good movies to see people turning against each other.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This was a pretty good one. Saw it back to back with Circle (not The Circle). Good movies to see people turning against each other.
I liked Circle too even if it was a bit cheesy at times. Was just super enjoyable and engaging from minute 1.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This didn't click with me at all. Probably more to do with the characters and acting. Just wasn't my jam at all.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Yeah thank you for reminding of this movie, I quite liked it

such mindfuck with the different glow sticks and numbers

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Yep saw it some years ago it was great.

Can i recommend you a film op? I watch The Invitation (it's on netflix) a couple weeks ago and if you liked this I think you gonna like it too. It's a slow burn like this one so buckle up.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great movie.

Also try The Man From Earth. It's a similar one location movie that is all conversations.

H2Yo

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
was looking for a random movie and this one caught my eye (mainly because for a second I thought it was Contact which I still haven't seen) and I'm very glad I watched it.

image-asset.jpeg

MV5BNzQ3ODUzNDY2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzg0ODY2MTE@._V1_.jpg

So without getting into spoilers it's an indie drama/sci-fi/thriller set during a comet. At first it was kind of disorienting, the cinematography wasn't working for me at all cause it was constantly shaky, some of the expository dialog was super clunky and there's some weird scene transitions and the dialog can be hard to hear at times. But oh man am I glad I stuck with it. It ramps up a lot after the first 30 or so minutes and the last 10 minutes are absolutely fucking amazing and will probably stick in my mind for a long time.

I really don't want to mention much because it's best on a blind watch. One of the rotten tomatoes reviews actually mentions the full concept and that's pretty odd considering it doesn't reveal itself until like an hour in so I won't even link it here, but it got rave reviews as well.

Anyone else see it? What did you guys think?
An amaZing film.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I watched Contact last night for the first time in years. Still an amazing film with some great long takes and one of my favourite 'shit gets real' moments, but holy shit there's some nonsense disguised as science in it.

I loved this film when I saw it and had totally forgotten about it. I'll watch this tonight. Cheers!

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Caught it at Grimfest in Manchester a few years ago, was a really nice surprise. Probably the best film at the festival that year. Not a particularly hard feat, but still it was has at least a couple pretty good films.

Grimfest was a shitshow the last couple times I went though. Horror film fans and people who made films featuring at the festival constantly talking through everything and shitting on everything.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is a good one of these, especially ironically if you've got a group of friends over to watch it lol

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Low budget single-setting sci-fi mindfucks are the best!

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I liked this movie, watched it on a recommend from someone here too. Wonderful sci fi that takes place mostly on a small set. Just a house and outside and a cast, and yet it was great.

Another sci fi movie to do alot with a little like this is The Man From Earth.

Primer is great, but it remember it made my brain hurt lol things get complicated.

Also Predestination with Ethan Hawke is good too.

Predestination however is like one of my favorite watches in the last 5 years. This movie is fucking great. ESPECIALLY as a blind watch if you know nothing going in. Holy fuck....

Agreed! Any one got any good recommendations of ones that fit into this?

Definitely "The Man from Earth".

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to rewatch it for probably years now. Haven't found the right mood yet, but it is a pretty great movie. Takes a while to get going but that's mumblecore for ya.

Weeats

Banned
Jun 17, 2019
Yep saw it some years ago it was great.

Can i recommend you a film op? I watch The Invitation (it's on netflix) a couple weeks ago and if you liked this I think you gonna like it too. It's a slow burn like this one so buckle up.

The Invitation has one of the best "god-damn!" endings ever.

Weeats

Banned
Jun 17, 2019
For another low budget, sci-fi indie with temporal fuckery, check out The Endless.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I loved that

I loved that too lol
Seconded. You're one of the few people I've run into who've seen it. It's a neat little film with a not-so-great title.
Predestination however is like one of my favorite watches in the last 5 years. This movie is fucking great. ESPECIALLY as a blind watch if you know nothing going in. Holy fuck....

Great so see a lot of love for those films, they are very underrated. More people should see them.

The Invitation has one of the best "god-damn!" endings ever.

Yep it's amazing.

Until the end climax i spent most of the film switching between "this is a cult the guy is 100% right" and "maybe it's a cult but the guy is 100% going crazy".

Last edited:

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If it isn't the annual Coherence thread.

Welcome to the fold, friend.

What a terrific film this is.

If anyone has any recent films like please make suggestions.

Also, people should check out 'The Discovery'

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I leave another 2 suggestions for time loop films:

- Triangle (British-Australian film);
- Resolution,
and its sequel, The Endless;

I think Coherence is near the best of the bunch, so it's mostly downhill from there. Here are some good ones that *roughly* fit the formula and haven't already been mentioned here:

Watched all those except Circle, those all all good so im definitely gonna watch it.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This movie triggered great existential dread in me when I saw it.

The idea of
being forever lost amongst an ocean of universes got me.

Also the way the husband saying at one point that he could never mistake their love for someone else's only to be wrong was great too.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movie totally slaps. Glad you discovered it!

Was bummed to find the writer/director hasn't done anything since.

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Coherence recommended on Era a while back and loved it! It has really stuck with me.
I also agree with those who recommended Resolution (Prime Video), The Endless (Netflix), The Invitation (Netflix), and Triangle (Prime Video).

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Great movie, although you can certainly feel the budget at times.

Good to see Xander (Nicholas Brendon) in something. It makes sense that they'd cast him in this, considering he has a big advantage over most actors....

He has an identical twin. Though I am not 100% certain they used his brother in this film, he isn't credited.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This movie triggered great existential dread in me when I saw it.

The idea of
being forever lost amongst an ocean of universes got me.

Also the way the husband saying at one point that he could never mistake their love for someone else's only to be wrong was great too.
Yeah it has some of the best existential horror ever and it's delivered very cleanly, no jump scares or crazy gore or anything like that.

Yeah Enemy is great, very similar.
Melancholia also kind of fits in this "mundane sci-fi" genre.
Enemy is my least favorite Villemeuve film unfortunately, for a similar concept I preferred The Double with Jesse Eisenberg.

Have you seen Primer, OP?
I have and I was too stupid to get a lot of it during my first watch although I've looked up the diagrams and explanations afterwards and appreciate the film for what it is. Tried watching Upstream Color (Shane Currath's other film) though and was not a fan at all.

And thanks everyone will definitely check out the recommendations I haven't seen yet.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I really don't want to mention much because it's best on a blind watch.

OK, say no more. I'll abandon thread and watch it blind.

Another such movie I loved is Spring, but unfortunately it's impossible to watch entirely blind because the trailer and even cover spoil some of the tone / genre / setting twists. I had seen them before watching it, and I still loved the movie anyway, but it must be a pretty amazing experience watching it completely blind, hahah.

Abraxas

Feb 16, 2018
Dallas
I love smaller movies like these. Time Trap was one I enjoyed recently. Some people are searching a cave and get stuck.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
EDIT: At times during the middle of the movie I felt that the movie would have worked great as a stage play, and I kind of like movies like that. Plots that are confined to one small space in some way, primarily. Like, say, Night of the Living Dead or the first Saw or something like that. There are probably much better examples than those, but I think you get what I'm saying.
Hateful 8 is a great recent example of that, it even has an intermission lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh man I completely forgot about this one until tonight but I really enjoyed it as well, saw it after it came out in 2014

Time_Lapse_Poster.jpg

3 friends discover a machine that is able to take a picture 24 hours into the future and things to awry. A lot of fun and very clever.