• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Some of my favorites from the mid-to-late 90's...

Failure. Often billed as "Your favorite band's favorite band". Tool were big fans. The album this song is on is a very well respected classic, but they have a number of great albums, including 2 that have released in the last 6 years since they got back together, which are somehow just as good.

Then there's Hum. It's possible you've heard this song. I love everything they've done. This summer, they saved 2020 by surprise-dropping their first album since 1998.

Less space rock, more Rock 'n Fucking Roll, Big Wreck were a Canadian band (who also reunited and have since released their best work). This is the first song I heard on MTV back in the 90's. Harmonies and guitar work are great and this guy could easily have gone toe-to-toe with Chris Cornell in the vocals dept.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Ween - Voodoo Lady

Nine Inch Nails - Mr. Selfdestruct

Flaming Lips - Waitin' for a Superman

Just some semi-random songs from great bands that had amazing releases in the 90s.

Last edited:

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
ya'll sleeping on the greatest 90s band, Polaris (the guys from Pete and Pete)

IamError

Aug 22, 2020
Stuff currently in my 90s playlist:

Stone Temple Pilots - I celebrate this bands entire catalog. Seriously it's all good.

Radiohead
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream is best, sleep on the rest
The Breeders - Kim Deal's band after the Pixies broke up. First album is solid.
Portishead
Cake
Alice in chains
Foo Fighters
Soundgarden
R.E.M.
Jane's Addiction.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
You need some Body Count if you want the full power of 90s gangsta rap + 90s rock. Also some rage against the machine.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
God I love 90s rock. So much great stuff posted so far. Here are some other random offerings that popped into my head while scrolling.

Veruca Salt - Seether

The Breeders - Cannonball

Fountains of Wayne - Radiation Vibe

HOLY SHIT we're in a 90s rock thread and NO ONE has posted any Oasis yet?!

dots

Oct 27, 2017

Go listen to Local H's Pack Up The Cats it is probably my favorite album ever.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Being born in the mid-80s, that 1992-1996 alternative rock-pop era was basically like my hayday of popular music. It'd be too hard for me to come up wiith a list so I googled it, and this list basically aces my 5th-8th grade sound track. By late 90s I kinda stopped listening to rock, and got into classic rock (which I think every 8th-10th grade white boy did in the 90s).

I echo a lot of the hits iin this thread, but some others that were big for me then

I always liked the softer stuff. I listened to NiN, STP, Candlebox, and other heavier early 90s (As well as Green Day, Weezer, Silverchair, etc), but I think the alternative mix was always more for me... And asidde from Eddie Veder's vocal style I think these three songs could basically come out at any time between 1978 and 2020 and fit into a popular niche

Stupid anecdote from my childhood, but tthe reason I got into classic rock ... was because Green Day did a cover of My Generation on one of their albums, I think 39 smooth or Kerplunk, and then I was going through my dad's cassettes one day (my dad had a pretty serious blues/rock collection) and came upon The Who, My Generation, listened to it, thought it was weird that he was stuttering in the sogn but kept going, and then The Who became my favorite classic rock band from that. Got into Jimi Hendrix from that (my dad had a Woodstock album and I got into every band from that... Listening to The WHo at Woodstock first, then got into Hendrix & Jefferson Airplane from there). Similarly the Lemonheads did a version of Mrs. Robinson (at least I think it was the Lemonheads?) and that got me to pull out my dad's Simon & Garfunkel tapes, and basically since then Paul Simon has been my favorite pop artist.

Oh speaking of Green Day... low key their best hit from the mid 90s.

music.youtube.com

J.A.R. (Jason Andrew Relva) - YouTube Music

Provided to YouTube by Reprise J.A.R. (Jason Andrew Relva) · Green Day International Superhits! ℗ 1995 Reprise Records Guitar: Billie Joe Armstrong Produ...

Probably listened to this song 20,000 times in ~1996 which meant recording it from the radio on a blank tape, and then rewinding it and playing it over and over and over again

Last edited:

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
OP may also be interested in my recent thread of newer artists still writing this kind of music
www.resetera.com

90s Alternative music revival

Since there's been two 90s music threads recently and one is getting a little cluttered with recent music that's a revival here's a thread dedicated just to more recent music emulating the 90s sound (alt rock or otherwise) Some artists to get things going Potty Mouth...

Nov 9, 2017
90's Alt Rock was probably the last time I enjoyed listening to the radio.

Early Nine Inch Nails
Toadies
Weezer blue album
mainstream Radiohead
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
Pearl Jam before they started sucking

I'll add some classic Green Day albums/singles as my contribution since most of the other stuff has been covered:

Kerplunk (1991)- 2000 Light Years Away, One for the Razorbacks, Christie Road, Private Ale, 80, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield, Words I Might Have Ate, Sweet Children, Best Thing in Town

Dookie (1994)- You've probably heard most of the good radio singles, but also check out She, Chump, FOD, Burnout, Sassafras Roots

Insomniac (1995)- Armatage Shanks, Geek Stink Breath, No Pride, Westbound Sign, Tight Wad Hill, Walking Contradiction.

Nimrod (1997)- This is sort of the bridge between old Green Day and the modern one. They experiment with Ska, surf, and folk in this album. Some hidden gems in this like Haushinka, The Grouch, Scattered, All the Time, Worry Rock, Platypus, Last Ride In.

Last edited:

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Couple album recs (staying away from British acts as that's a different can of worms)

Matthew Sweet - 100% Fun
The Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass (kind of an alt-country)
Cake - Fashion Nugget
Fountains of Wayne - Fountains of Wayne
Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
You missed out on the skatepunk period with bands like NoFX, Lagwagon, Mad Caddies, Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Satanic Surfers,.....

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
90s were filled to the brim with great music. A few I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X
This album takes me to a place with neon signs reflecting on rain soaked streets and a sky the color of television tuned to a dead channel. I've never found another trip-hop album that hits me like this one.

Beck - Odely
Beck - Mellow Gold
Beck had a few good albums in the 90s and 2000s. These two stand out as his best.