• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

data west

Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't have to be ultra edgy scans, could just be edgy characters in that peak 90s style. I have learned that I have a completely non-ironic love/nostalgia for this time period despite all the crap it gets. Big fucking dudes with guns and spikes and tons of babes that all have one body type

X-Force_Vol_1_1_Wraparound_Cover.jpg

latest

DXXTPgLXgIx-BKJrFP_MR-CTL4OcKHYk7xMnGeLR5cU.jpg

Like I said this isn't all in some ironic, poke fun kind of way. I'm genuinely appreciating this stuff while also enjoying how fucking TUFF it is.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5066230.jpg

This dude actually rocks and I love him.

Thor's temp replacement was a bumbling divorced dad and he got killed off because his comic was outselling Thor.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

www.youtube.com

Edgelords Intro

I made this intro for Matt's new series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1gEpQYEVsQMusic by: https://www.youtube.com/LittleVMillsWorking on this intro taugh...

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The decade that gave us Carnage. I think? Honestly I was born in 1980 and by my tweens I got super into alt comics (thanks palmers picks in wizard magazine) and Valiant which seemed like "mature" super heroes

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
LXLM02e_d.webp

Just look at this absolutely badass team-up getting ready to kick a couple cyborg nobodies in the teeth. That arc was hype as fuck and my love for all of these characters endures

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
90s Image can fill so much of this thread.

wildcatswizard.jpg

Also, we need to do a list of "blood related" names on heroes and teams

Bloodstrike
Bloodshot
Youngblood

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
Someone made an edgy comic clearly ripping off the Jojo manga series named Diesel.
beFl37Q.jpeg

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Grifter is basically 90s comics jumping the shark. I entirely forgot they made a Wildcats cartoon.

grifter-comics-9a47ed45-559a-4ed2-9d01-8b91ce4d019-resize-750.jpeg

Gold Rush

Nov 29, 2017
latest
I sat and watched a panel at San Diego Comic-Con back when they were doing the whole death and rebirth of Superman thing and someone in the audience asked the creators if they were going to keep the mullet or not. They said that they absolutely would because it made Supes look like less of a Boy Scout.

To this day I can't tell if this phase was edgy or just unfortunate.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Grifter is basically 90s comics jumping the shark. I entirely forgot they made a Wildcats cartoon.

grifter-comics-9a47ed45-559a-4ed2-9d01-8b91ce4d019-resize-750.jpeg

I dunno...he's easily the biggest edgelord in the WildCATs. But that was one of the few early Image books that managed to walk the edge and make it work

I would say Spawn, WildCATs, maybe Shadowhawk, maybe The Darkness, all made it work. Surely if there is an Image design that is 90s edge jumping the shark, it's a Rob Liefeld character, someone on Youngblood or Brigade

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Ripclaw and Warblade had a rivarly because they both used claws? I don't know just that they would fight like every month
9516c3bc458aef49eed9a668d0f9bc4e--jim-lee-jim-orourke.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
nUz7t3i_d.webp
How is this thread all Marvel and no Image so far

Battlestone was the dark prince of 90s edge

Hey it's Cable and Stryfe!

Wait, what do you mean that's not Cable and Stryfe?

The weirdest "evolution" of a comic to me was WildCATs, which went from generic Image X-men ripoff to alien shenanigans to a more grounded book with an emphasis on the covert. Say what you want about Lee but he wasn't afraid to change things up and hire other writers to do so. Even Storm Watch to the Authority was something to behold.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I fucking love edginess and overtly dark content.

I will ask though, are there any "edgy" comics that are like both edgy AND genuinely good comics in of themselves too? Usually this sort of content rides on it's cheese and tone more than being actually well executed.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno...he's easily the biggest edgelord in the WildCATs. But that was one of the few early Image books that managed to walk the edge and make it work

I would say Spawn, WildCATs, maybe Shadowhawk, maybe The Darkness, all made it work. Surely if there is an Image design that is 90s edge jumping the shark, it's a Rob Liefeld character, someone on Youngblood or Brigade

It's just that he's a collage of Marvels big three edgelords.

Guns like punisher
Angry broodguy like wolverine even has healing and not claws but knives
Big old trenchcoat like Gambit

what was cool when I was a kid just kinda seems like parody in 2021