Meowfioso

Sep 11, 2020
After playing Spider-Man and Demon's Souls, I'm not really convinced. It's kind of cool, but not really a game changer for me in these titles.
That's really disappointing to hear. Spiderman is the one game that is tempting me to get a playstation (I already have a gaming PC for xbox titles). It would've been an instant buy if if you could feel the air flow by your character as you swing through city

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
like any controller tech. It is at the mercy of the dev making the game. Cuz Wii U game pad and Switch joycons have some dope features that most games dont even bother using. And like someone else mentioned, I didn't even know Dualshock 4 had a gyro. Because no games i played used it. And most didn't use the speaker (only one i recall me playing with lots of speaker use was Mordor game).

for me right now on Series X, the jaw dropping feature is Quick Resume. Im jumping from game to game in 6 seconds. If i can get my hands on a PS5 and try this dualsense. Then we will see which i care about more. But since i play so many FPS games there's like zero chance i would like a controller more than the Elite with back paddles. Being able to run, crouch, reload and swap weapons without taking my thumbs off this sticks is too important.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
Astro's playroom made my index finger sore from the heavy resistance sections like the space ship or spring usage. I took two ibuprofen after playing it last night.

Damn that's crazy lol, I didn't feel that personally.

Also in case you didn't know, you can adjust the haptics strength and trigger resistance on the controller settings -- they both start on "strong" by default I think, but you can turn them lower, which will help your fingers

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
I saw this coming a mile away and is why I suspect I'll turn it off at a system level, but the lack of complaints thus far from previewers had me optimistic. Granted this probably won't be a problem with people who don't spend a ton of time gaming.

I played 6-7 hours yesterday and never had a problem with my fingers hurting for what it's worth. 4ish hours of that time was on Astro's Playroom and the other 2-3 were on Demon's Souls

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, Sony actually has something going with their controller- 1st party games will be even more killer for it- but most 3rd parties won't bother with the high end vibration/haptic stuff. And my son (the hardcore competitive online gamer) quickly pointed out that "all the pros" will just look to turn off vibration/haptic stuff anyway, because it gets in the way of precision control. But I say screw that, I love Sony's brand of 1st party single player adventures, and this controllers will enable neat things in those games.

It is somewhat disappointing that MS didn't do more, but then again they sit as the biggest provider to the closest single "standard' controller for PC and Android/streaming gaming, in addition to just Xbox, so their controller probably has to be more generic since it has to wear more hats.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Astro's playroom made my index finger sore from the heavy resistance sections like the space ship or spring usage. I took two ibuprofen after playing it last night.
Are you older? Or have arthritis? The feedback is not that strong.

Also this has a better chance of taking off work the causal audience, competitive players will disable all of these features. But that's the way to go IMO. If causal audience whats to play all their sports, GAAS, and evergreen titles on PS5 cuz of the controller that's a win for Sony.

But yeah I'll be turning it off for SFVl for example. But it does make stuff like Mario games more amazing.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
While I was impressed by the haptic feedback in astro, did not really feel like it made much of a difference in demon souls. Still would go for the pc version for better frames and mods.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I would at least wait to feel how those multiplatform games will implement it before Say something like that, OP
You cant judge this aspect from a first party game specifically programmed ti showcase it

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Alright, after spending about an hour playing Astro's Playroom:

I think the Dualsense is the real deal (no pun intended) game changer. Regarding the haptic vibration, just one word: ICE.

My other games have installed by now, and I'm sure I'll be enjoying the haptic/adaptive triggers on those games, but I'm also really really enjoying Astro's Playroom.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Haptics are going to benefit some people more than others. I'll probably turn the DualSense functionality off almost completely because that kind of stuff just gets in the way and doesn't meaningfully improve my experience.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
I would at least wait to feel how those multiplatform games will implement it before Say something like that, OP
You cant judge this aspect from a first party game specifically programmed ti showcase it

As many have already stated - COD has made great use of these functions - I dont see why they would drop support for future titles.

If Sony has made it easy for dev's to implement (who knows at this point) - then I don't see why more wouldn't

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think this depends of the person. Is what determines the best place to play the overall experience? Then yeah PS5 will probably be the best place for most. If the best place to play is the most cost effective, then GamePass is really difficult to best.

I'm curious how easy the haptics are to incorporate. Like, is there an automatic setting that will add some amount of haptic feedback/adaptive triggers if the developers want to spend little or not effort? Are there software features that seamlessly detect some surfaces or types of feedback that makes it really easy and quick for developers to implement a decent experience?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If the performance and IQ is good enough, I will start buy games over pc version seriously as long as there is dual sense support. Unless dual sense support also coming to steam.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
I'm curious how easy the haptics are to incorporate. Like, is there an automatic setting that will add some amount of haptic feedback/adaptive triggers if the developers want to spend little or not effort? Are there software features that seamlessly detect some surfaces or types of feedback that makes it really easy and quick for developers to implement a decent experience?

It's supposedly pretty easy. Here's an explanation from Yukari Konishi, an engineer for PlayStation:

"To reduce this burden, we have created a haptic vibration waveform design environment that anyone can use easily. In this way, we have not only developed a tool that allows game creators to design an impactful, natural and comfortable vibration waveform in fewer steps, but also created a method of almost automatically generating vibration patterns from a game's sound effects.

Konishi goes on to explain that her team was able to create a bespoke solution by consulting with experts and after researching various algorithms. The end result means that developers can "automate the generation of high-quality vibration waveforms to a certain extent, making it look as if they were created manually by the creators."

Source

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's supposedly pretty easy. Here's an explanation from Yukari Konishi, an engineer for PlayStation:

"To reduce this burden, we have created a haptic vibration waveform design environment that anyone can use easily. In this way, we have not only developed a tool that allows game creators to design an impactful, natural and comfortable vibration waveform in fewer steps, but also created a method of almost automatically generating vibration patterns from a game's sound effects.

Konishi goes on to explain that her team was able to create a bespoke solution by consulting with experts and after researching various algorithms. The end result means that developers can "automate the generation of high-quality vibration waveforms to a certain extent, making it look as if they were created manually by the creators."

Source

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I don't put a large amount of faith In third parties really utilizing it. Hope I'm wrong because the stuff sony did in astro bot is crazy. I wish sackboy had more to be honest.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Got to check out the adaptive triggers with Black Ops last night and it's a game changer. Every gun does truly feel different for once.

Oct 25, 2017
I like it. I honestly think the quick resume that the Xbox has is much better from a convenience standpoint. However the controller has the foundations to be very transformative to gaming and revolutionize how we play. It might be a hyperbole to many people but the potential is there and the foundation is layed. I really just hope devs actually use it to its fullest. I also hope Sony makes a new version with a bigger battery to compensate for all this usage.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
End of the day it'll be content. Switch is out selling everything now and don't even need any of the motion or hd rumble. Sony will sell because of its first party output and third party deals. Microsoft will sell due to Gamepass and (eventually?) all the studios they own.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Absolutely, the dual sense rules.

I can see myself choosing to go PS5 over switch for certain games that would have been switch simply because of the controller.

Thinking about potential ff16 support....please

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw this video on how the triggers work on CoD and it actuallt made me want to buy CoD for PS5.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think it'll probably get a little samey after the first few days. I know for me personally I have zero interest in resistance on my triggers. I can see how for some it will be transformative, but I don't suspect it will weigh into my decisions at all.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've been enjoying it thus far, but thought to myself it wouldn't be enough personally if I can get it cheaper elsewhere or there's a big difference performance wise. Definitely a good addition though.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been enjoying it thus far, but thought to myself it wouldn't be enough personally if I can get it cheaper elsewhere or there's a big difference performance wise. Definitely a good addition though.

That's the thing though...performance differences have been basically non-existent at launch. It's amazing how the DualSense has become a key differentiator.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
WAY too early to make this call.

We have to see how much it's implemented and more importantly if as devs get more comfortable with the new Series dev software if the performance gap starts to widen.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but hopefully all games can implement as well as COD and Astrobot. Otherwise it's kinda hard to pass on gamepass if the game is available on that.

Oct 29, 2017
Just like on Switch, multiplatform titles past the launch honeymoon period won't bother using it in any meaningful way.

You'll have to turn to exclusives for experiences that really make good use of it.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's a toss up between that and quick resume for me.

Hopefully Xbox releases a haptics controler and PlayStation some kind of snapshots before the gen is out.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Just like on Switch, multiplatform titles past the launch honeymoon period won't bother using it in any meaningful way.

You'll have to turn to exclusives for experiences that really make good use of it.
Switch is isn't the slightest bit like the Dualsense's haptic feedback+adaptive triggers combo. And we are already seeing better support than we ever got for Switch.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah

that will be xcloud - play anywhere or play local coop with one player on mobile etc

Oct 29, 2017
Switch is isn't the slightest bit like the Dualsense's haptic feedback+adaptive triggers combo. And we are already seeing better support than we ever got for Switch.

It is exactly like it. The haptic feedback works with exactly the same tech. It's even programmed into the games in exactly the same way on both consoles (Haptic feedback/HD Rumble motions are programmed in as sound files).

Developers will always code for the lowest common denominator however; and few developers will ever really take advantage of platform specific features for multiplatform releases (be it haptics or any other features like gyro controls). That's just the nature of multiplatform development; individual platform features just can't be a priority in development.