• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this coming gen going to be the last gen with physical games on Xbox and PlayStation?

• Yes

Votes: 206 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 287 43.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • It's too soon to say

Votes: 148 22.2%

• Total voters

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
With the rise in popularity of digital systems and services like Xbox Game Pass I think that the Xbox Series XS/PS5 gen is going to be the last gen with physical games on Xbox and PlayStation.

I'm not talking about Nintendo here, mind you.

What do you think? The way I see it, by 2027 or so the physical game market will be pretty small for Xbox and PlayStation and the next Xbox and PlayStation consoles won't have a disk drive at all.

Edit 1: I think that comparing this to the CD market doesn't make much sense. A CD player is very easy to produce and a lot of companies still make them because of it, it's a very easy market to enter. On the other hand, it's very hard to compete with Xbox and PlayStation in the desktop console market because of their online infrastructure and the huge amount of games you can play on those systems already, it's a very hard market to enter (look at Ouya or Stadia), which is why I think that if both Sony and Microsoft stop supporting the physical format, then physical games are gonna be done. Also making consoles is way more expensive than making CD players.

A new competitor that supported physical games would have very slim chances to compete.

Edit 2: I don't think big publishers think that the digital format is a problem in developing countries when they launch games that require online connection in order to be played. Yes, installing everything from Xbox Live or PSN instead of from a disk takes more time but I think that most people in those countries would be willing to accept that. If something took 6 hours to download then it would take 10 now; yeah it sucks, but I don't think it's the end of the world. It's my theory that both Sony and Microsoft know that most people won't say "Hey I was interested in this new console but if it takes more time to download games then I'm not gonna buy it". Also, video game consoles themselves are already kind of a luxury in a lot of developing countries and if you have enough money to have a console in those markets then you probably have enough money to have a decent connection. Also, things like Xbox Game Pass are a very cheap way to play video games in those markets, which I think would make a transition to digital more easy in those countries. Also most people with no internet connection at all don't have money to buy a console anyway.

Edit 3: I have over 100 physical games and I don't want physical games to disappear.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Physical is actually very durable. CDs and DVDs are still a thing for example.

What will happen is that more revenue will move to digital. That's the trendline.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's much too early to say, but it definitely seems like it's heading in that direction.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i could finally abandon videogames or atleast find more time to go back and play older games if that's the case

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
It started with me already this gen I think. Been scraping all my stuff to get some store credit for it and noticed I only really have 3 PS4 games lol.

But for your question I don't know.. There is still a large part of the world that just wants disks or have internet restrictions which I just don't have. Or just want to collect.

How will they bring this to shops etc? A PSN card gives them less of a cut then a physical I think?

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
Publishers will certainly push in that direction, since digital sales make them more money and subscription services will probably lower the number of "casual" users who buy games in general so it's possible. I would say that it's more probable for xbox than for playstation though, since Microsoft clearly has a more defined incentive.

Yes. I also believe the inevitable PS5 slim will only be digital.

The slim version will most probably substitute the digital edition, while the normal ps5 will probably be replaced by a pro model, so... yeah

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Unless the market shrinks in a fucked up way, I don't think so, PS7/Xbox Series Z is a high possibility tho, then we enter in the "streaming only area"(unfortunely, for me).

Jul 20, 2020
Games on USB sticks or other forms of physical transfer. PS6 and Xbox what ever wont have disc drives. No way.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
There's still too many markets that rely on or prefer physical media, but that can change in the span of 6-8 years.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Until I get decent internet in the UK, fuck digital only tbh.

Choice is all i ever want. Ill download digital and I also want physical

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Nope. It may be a much smaller percentage but there'll still be markets where a physical drive will be needed.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It won't, but you'll definetly see more games being released digital only for sure.

I forsee a digital only PS6 with a disc drive as an add-on.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
If thats the case they need to offer a disc 2 digital program for us that have an extensive physical collection also an all digital future might be bad news for consumer rights.

Last edited:

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Probably
Sony really needs to go back to letting 3rd parties sell digital game codes
I would hope they won't have a choice if everything goes all digital

Raigor

May 14, 2020
We are entering this gen with >50% digital ratio. In 7 years we will most likely reach %80+

Don't expect to see physical releases in 2030.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It is, and it'll be partially driven by Covid over the next two years. Who is ever going to queue for a pre-order again?

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
People are so ready to leave regions with bad internet behind. Such a shit attitude.

I never understood this type of comments. I have a bad internet, in fact I've noticed your comment because I'm refreshing resetera while waiting for the latest mkbhd video to load, but I still buy digital games, I just wait more for them to download and install. I would have to wait even if i bought them retail since there's patches for everything nowadays, I just have my laptop/consoles download what they must while I do other things. Is it that hard?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I think the gen after the next one will be the last.

This gen digital will definitely have the clear majority, and the gen after will be the dying gasp of physical.

Hopefully other places have better digital by then.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Well if that's so, then this will also be my last generation with this hobby, if I don't end up bailing before it's over that is.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want the physical format to go away but okay.
Never said you did.
I never understood this type of comments. I have a bad internet, in fact I've noticed your comment because I'm refreshing resetera while waiting for the latest mkbhd video to load, but I still buy digital games, I just wait more for them to download and install. I would have to wait even if i bought them retail since there's patches for everything nowadays, I just have my laptop/consoles download what they must while I do other things. Is it that hard?
Because not everyone is in your same situation? Getting rid of physical games would suck for a huge swath of people.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
As long as the largest market for traditional console games specially on AAA level are being targeted at the USA you will have disks.
Because

USA infrastructure can't handle big games.
From data caps to slow speeds 200 gig per game is just not very doable for most peoples connections.

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely not. You can still readily buy physical music CDs if you want to.

There's a big difference between physical media shrinking in market share, which will continue to happen, and going away entirely.