• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
R&C Rift Apart. Performance RT is an exceptional balance, with great frame rate and incredible graphics quality. Image quality is even very good

Jul 7, 2021
It's been worth it for me on PC, but that's because of DLSS.

I don't have to make that choice like I would on consoles.

Playing Spider-man on PC right now with ray tracing and at over 60 FPS on a 3060ti.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't even recognize ray tracing in games yet. I don't know what it's supposed to look like and I don't know what benefit it's supposed to provide me. It's probably because 99% of the games I'm playing on my PS5 are PS4 up-ports, but I just don't really know what ray tracing is supposed to actually do.

The three advantages that stand out the most are more accurate reflections, more accurate lighting and more accurate shadows. Ray tracing calculates and display these things in a more realistic way because it calculates how a ray of light hits an object or surface. The more rays, the more bounces, the more accurate it will look. It's essentially replicating how light works in real life in video games in real time. Without ray tracing in video games, things are approximated, baked, or faked.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I think RT Global Illumination is way, way more impressive and actually game changing than mere RT reflections or shadows. But very few games seem to use it, on consoles at least. Metro Exodus uses RTGI and the lighting is amazing.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I've not seen a single comparison with it on that's made me think its worth a performance hit. It's mostly the sort of things I stop noticing after 10 mins playing anyway if I even noticed at all.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
If you're going to do ray tracing, do it completely.

There are games that half ass it and say they have ray tracing but it doesn't apply to certain effects like fire, so you can have a puddle or shiny floor and the fire isn't part of the reflection. Lame.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the "performance RT" implementations, the full RT implementations are never worth it in my opinion. At least yet. I can barely tell the difference and the lay person certainly can't see it either. It's obviously the future, but right now it's painful watching people push it so hard when the pay off is just not worth it yet.
Yeah this is where I'm at. Maybe if RT gets pushed more it'll get designated to the 40FPS in 120Hz container modes but if they can keep up the "Performance RT" 60FPS modes I'm cool with that as an option.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't even recognize ray tracing in games yet. I don't know what it's supposed to look like and I don't know what benefit it's supposed to provide me. It's probably because 99% of the games I'm playing on my PS5 are PS4 up-ports, but I just don't really know what ray tracing is supposed to actually do.

Watch the DF videos on Minecraft or Quake 2 RTX.

They're the most incredible use of raytracing I've played. Far more impressive than most modern games that use raytraced reflections or shadows. It's impossible not to see the difference/upgrade with those.

maxresdefault.jpg

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The performance hit with raytracing is significant depending on the implementation, but I find it's usually OK on PC since it tends to be coupled with DLSS. While you definitely lose frames, DLSS can keep it out of distractingly low framerates.

Oct 25, 2017
I think RT Global Illumination is way, way more impressive and actually game changing than mere RT reflections or shadows. But very few games seem to use it, on consoles at least. Metro Exodus uses RTGI and the lighting is amazing.
Yeah, I'm not sure how to describe it but Metro Exodus: EE looks different from every game I've ever played because of this. It just has a totally different feel because of the RTGI

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
On consoles I never go with the Ray tracing because I can't stand 30FPS. But on PC, its usually worth it for me with 1440 monitor+3080Ti since I csn get at least 60FPS w RT especially if DLSS is available.

For instance, I recently played RE3 on PC which takes a massive hit from RT... but even with that big hit my game still managed 80+ FPS all the time. And I was happier with the RT than an extra 20 or so frames.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
First generation RT on consoles was always going to be limited. It's a start though and will only improve in future generations. The RT performance mode for Miles Morales was pretty great, I thought. As long as it's 60fps, I'm happy.

PC of course is well ahead as it always is. If you're able to afford it, you'll get the best there.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think it obviously depends on how much horsepower you have. If you can hit high fps comfortably then for a lot of games, like Spiderman, then I think it's very much worthwhile for what it does to the games visuals if you can keep 60 fps.

If you're pushing into low framerates for rt then obviously it's not worthwhile.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Imagine you have a light in an environment.

99.9% of the time all the light it's casting on local objects is drawn-in. Hence why 99.9% of lights etc are static and un-interactable and cast fake shadows or none at all.

Ray tracing can make it so that light casts actual light and actually casts realistic shadows, and reflections.

If you want to tell the difference in reflections, look at "Control". you can have reflections in transparent objects and you can reflect dynamic objects from off-screen.

Our two main solutions for reflections right now are screenspace, where objects disappear if not being rendered on-screen which causes lots of artifacts and obvious issues like halos around characters since they're occluding objects. Or cubemaps which vary highly and are static since they're decided during rendering (if i remember correctly). So sometimes you have moments where cubemaps load in over-top of screenspace to "cover" for the lack of vision of the dynamic objects from screenspace. So sometimes you can see exactly where a cubemap starts taking over for screenspace reflections.

Here is a video that gives an example of this kind of occluded screenspace artifacting at the extreme. Battlefield 5. Notice how everyone occluded by the gun or objects just disappears. Because there isn't a good solution for having some kind of static fall-back like a cubemap take over or soften the visuals. once it's not on-screen, it falls apart. Dynamic objects usually only render when on-screen and we've just layered tacked-on solutions to solve this kind of problem where RTX just handles that because it's a true-to-life dynamic system

View: https://youtu.be/cld6c1ALw80?t=35

If you want an example of where raytracing can take us that current tech cannot. Imagine playing a scene in a subway tunnel that has one of those corner mirrors that show you who/what is coming around the corner. in an RTX world we could accurately see through the mirror who and what is coming down that hall. currently, there is no way to do that... MAYBE with the fake-room rendering technique from generations past, but that's a lot of extra overhead on its own and isn't a true 1-1 reflection. we can trust lights to do what they're supposed to do, and artists don't have to do another pass to fake all the lighting everytime the assets change or the design of something changes. They can just change whatever and the lighting physics works as its supposed to. No more artifacts from all the many different technologies we use to create a fully lit scene.

Every effect of light and shadow from Ambient occlusion, shadows, bounce and global illumination, reflections. All of it can be replaced by RTX and lighting artists will go from "faking it" to more like how a movie lighting person would. Place the lights you want and trust the physics rather than just painting it in and finding clever ways to fake stuff.

I understand people's complaint about "sacrificing performance", but to throw the baby out with the bathwater is stupid. The power will catch up as the tech itself gets more efficient and our hardware becomes more efficient. It will become the de-facto way EVERYTHING to do with light and shadow is handled by games in short order. This argument is especially annoying right now because spending a bit of time watching a comparison video or understanding what RTX actually does should demonstrate its value on its own. You get true, dynamic lighting and shadow and reflection even if objects are occluded as long as they're rendered in the scene without painting in fake lighting or trying to calculate object creases and such. It's even resolution and object scalable for performance (as seen in a lot of console rtx games).

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I never found a game were I liked the visual changes enough to justify any sort of performance drop.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Control on XSX made me a believer. It depends on the type of game and the environments it depicts, but something like Control which leans heavily on the atmosphere of a particular building is a perfect use case.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I turned raytracing off on PC was in The DioField Chronicle demo as I barely saw the point of it there.

Jun 25, 2022
What games have you tried so far? Different games use different RT implementations so, again, generalizing all of them together doesn't mean anything. There's different kinds of RT in games be it RT reflections, RT lighting, RT shadows etc.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure how to describe it but Metro Exodus: EE looks different from every game I've ever played because of this. It just has a totally different feel because of the RTGI
Metro Exodus: EE has to be one of the best visual examples of what RTGI can do to completely change the lighting and feel of a game. I'd put Minecraft and the LEGO game up there as well.

bv1akbh.png

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Control looked just okay without RT, so it felt like a game that was designed with RT in mind.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
RT is totally worth it if the developers behind it make the right sacrifices to get it running at 60fps. Insomniac is the gold standard.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People who are not convinced yet should look forward to next decade or so when most games are built from ground up with RT for all things lighting instead of using it for addon "enhancements" like they do now.

Hopefully largest portion of GPU dies are dedicated to RT and ML acceleration as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Not worth the hit to framerate to me.

However it is worth the hit in resolution in games like Spider-Man and Ratchet with the RT 60fps mode.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
If raytracing brings the game below a stable 60fps at minimum, then yeah, it isn't worth it. In fact I don't need any additional graphic features if it lowers the framerate below that threshold.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. It looks great, but non-raytraced lighting looks nice too.

I'll tell you where it IS worth the performance hit, and also where it really showcases what a dramatic improvement it is, is old games where they stick in ray-tracing.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Yeah, while it's nice to have, I find I stop paying attention to graphical effects after a while of playing any game. It doesn't make it more fun to play, so if you're forced to pick 1 out of RT or performance, I'll always pick performance.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Always turn RT off, because the extremely tiny difference I do manage to notice is not worth 20-30 fps loss. Playing on PC with a 3080. Also, 60fps is not enough for me, especially with a mouse and keyboard. But I do think RT has a future, but that future is not here yet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What games have you tried so far? Different games use different RT implementations so, again, generalizing all of them together doesn't mean anything. There's different kinds of RT in games be it RT reflections, RT lighting, RT shadows etc.

I played the PS4 and PS5 versions of Elden Ring and I did notice that the lighting was nebulously "better" on PS5, and I played Miles Morales on PS5. Otherwise I've played...Stranger of Paradise, some Yakuza games, The Quarry and GG Strive. Not a lot of PS5 showpiece games.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I played the PS4 and PS5 versions of Elden Ring and I did notice that the lighting was nebulously "better" on PS5, and I played Miles Morales on PS5. Otherwise I've played...Stranger of Paradise, some Yakuza games, The Quarry and GG Strive. Not a lot of PS5 showpiece games.

Out of those only Miles Morales has ray tracing. None of the others have any ray tracing at all so no wonder you haven't noticed it!

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring doesn't even have ray tracing yet.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

the only one of those games with RTX is like Miles Morales, iirc

like take 27 minutes out of your day and watch this video, i timestamped it at a relevant quote

"it does not make the surfaces in actuality shinier. Not at all. ... rather it makes them have the reflections the other techniques fail to represent"

That's just reflections...

View: https://youtu.be/blbu0g9DAGA?t=572

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Go to Times Square in Miles Morales. That's a good spot to see the difference in the ray traced reflections.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally ray tracing becomes the default at some point so devs don't need to spends hours and hours baking lighting

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Nah, I love the extra bells and whistles. If I can get the game to stay at 60fps, I'll happily turn them on, and depending on the genre, 30fps doesn't offend me as it does some.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
It's still one of those things that you kind of forget about most of the time while playing. Though you do get those moments where you get pulled out of the game and are stunned. But I have an AMD card on Linux and haven't witnessed RT in real time yet. I'm not a graphics first kind of person. I'm more about playing with systems and all I really look for is artistic cohesion when it comes to graphics. Edit: My first sentence is referencing just graphical prowess in general and not RT since I've just seen it in videos, but it's still one of the graphical boosts that fade away when I'm into a games systems.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Out of those only Miles Morales has ray tracing. None of the others have any ray tracing at all so no wonder you haven't noticed it!

Yeah, it doesn't really feel like there are many big games coming out these days that really push the hardware. Miles just looks gorgeous in general, even though to my eye it didn't seem THAT different between the PS4 and PS5 versions, since I got my PS5 partway through the game and then continued my save on the PS5 version, like I did with Guardians of the Galaxy. Insomniac just makes absurdly pretty games in general.